daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #241
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

they should first finish it (Daun - Blankenhein) if they didn't (and i haven't heard that they did)
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #242
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Nordrhein-Westfalen (North Rhine-Westphalia), isn't cooperating very good. The Rheinland-Pfalz (Rhineland-Palatine) stretch is almost finished. The problem is NRW.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #243
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice weather today to make a trip to the Sauerland hilly region, just east of the Ruhrarea.

B54 Gronau - Münster
[IMG]http://i9.************/661u78n.png[/IMG]
This road is almost all the way 2+1 lanes, which is working very good. I wish every major road in the Netherlands was build this way. The speed limit is 100km/h, though the last piece near Münster has a 120 limit.
B54 - 54 pictures

A1 Münster-Nord - Kreuz Dortmund/Unna
[IMG]http://i8.************/4yga6ac.png[/IMG]
This major Autobahn is in desperate need of widening, these pics were taken on a sunday, so no truck traffic is allowed on sunday, but on workdays, this road is clogged with trucks.
A1 - 51 pictures

A44 - A445 - A46 Kreuz Dortmund/Unna - Werl - Arnsberg - Bestwig
[IMG]http://i2.************/6cg66oz.png[/IMG]
A44 - 15 pictures
A445 - A46 - 79 pictures

The rest will follow later
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #244
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A46 - A445 - A44 Bestwig - Arnsberg - Dortmund
[IMG]http://i11.************/52ftor6.png[/IMG]
A46 - A445 49 photos
A44 12 photos

A1 Dortmund - Osnabrück
[IMG]http://i11.************/4z0rjgz.png[/IMG]
A1 79 photos
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM   #245
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

nice serie, as usual

following pictures show the A3 Ransbach-Baumbach to Wiesbadener Kreuz; then A66 Wiesbadener Kreuz to Eschborner Dreieck; then A648 Eschborner Dreieck to Frankfurt: all in all, the way from my hometown to Frankfurt inner city. Most photos are photographed against the sun, sorry for that.

Roundabouts are becoming more and more popular.

104km to go

Dreieck Dernbach: The A48 coming from Koblenz ends here.

Heading to Montabaur

the last hills of the Westerwald range

and now we're going down into the valley of the Lahn River. Lots of accidents here in the past, so only 100km/h for cars and 40km/h for trucks. 4 sign bridges tell you that, two of those with speeding cameras. This is the so-called "Elzer Berg"

Limburg (Hessen)

Now riding through the hills of the Taunus range

small jam

Now entering the Frankfurt Metro Area: This electronic sign suggest me to take the A66 to get to the trade fair.

we are now on the A66

Hofheim: Home of the biggest Schnitzels in Hessen

double barrier?

the orange lights besides the sign blink when the destinations on the signs have changed. this time it is mostly because of the Internationale Automobil Ausstellung. So you see "Messe" instead of something else.

last part of the A66 between Wiesbadener Kreuz and Eschborner Dreieck where it is 2x2, construction site because of the widening to 2x3

a small part with 4 regular lines

the orange lights blink again. you usually take the A648 to get to the "Stadtmitte" (city center), but because of the Internationale Automobil Ausstellung, they suggest you the A66 for the city center.

entering the A648

end of motorway here

and that is why i was there:

next time when I ride this route (maybe in two weeks) I will try to get more pictures of the scenery

EDIT: The Bundesländer should better work together with the signs. For example: On Dreieck Dernbach (Rheinland-Pfalz) you see Würzburg as a destination. But when you enter Hessen, there are Basel and München instead. Würzburg first appearence in Hessen is at the Wiesbadener Kreuz

Last edited by Patrick; September 25th, 2007 at 12:29 AM.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:00 PM   #246
x-type
con los terroristas

great photos!! this A3 is allways jammed, it's really on often used routes!
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #247
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
and now we're going down into the valley of the Lahn River. Lots of accidents here in the past, so only 100km/h for cars and 40km/h for trucks. 4 sign bridges tell you that, two of those with speeding cameras. This is the so-called "Elzer Berg"

40 Km/h?!?!

WTF?!
There's safe, and then there's just plain stupid and exagerated. This one being an example of the later.

The 100km/h for the cars is ok. A 80km/h limit for the trucks would be reasonable. 40km/h is just insane! Besides, there isn't even a sharp curve after the descent or anything.
And do trucks really respect by that speed limit? Are there 40km/h radars?
Old September 24th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #248
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Nice! I really liked the A648, it must be the best entrance into Frankfurt.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #249
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
40 Km/h?!?!

WTF?!
There's safe, and then there's just plain stupid and exagerated. This one being an example of the later.

The 100km/h for the cars is ok. A 80km/h limit for the trucks would be reasonable. 40km/h is just insane! Besides, there isn't even a sharp curve after the descent or anything.
And do trucks really respect by that speed limit? Are there 40km/h radars?
i guess there is a large downhill and in that case it wouldn't be weird for trucks to go down in 2nd or 3rd gear. although it doesn't seem to be that large downhill
Old September 24th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #250
Nephasto
Enlightened user

I know there's a downhill.
And trucks don't do 40 in a downhill... I've seen tons of downhillls in motorways with up to 6% (mostly limited to 100km/h to all trafic) and trucks go maybe at 80km/h (if they do a safe driving... others may go at 100km/h), not 40km/h.
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #251
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4249

There is a general speed limit of 90km/h for trucks on german autobahns. And 40km/h downhill seems ok since trucks are unable to stop at higher speed if it gets downhill. Just imagine there is a crash and all the trucks just crash into it.

Too many accidents with trucks involved have happened already. And most were horrible crashs with many people killed.They are the most dangerous part on german auotbahns.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #252
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Would I be considered a narrow-minded North American if I were to suggest that Most of Europe use one language on most Autobahns, to create less confusion?

Or this: Bilingual. You could have one language (for example, english) on most of the signs, and also have the native country's language. So you'd come out with something like in Germany English and German signs, in Sweden English and Sweden signs, etc. They do it in parts of Canada with English and French.
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #253
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Well, they don't even want to duplicate their signs in Quebec although it's still technically a part of Canada
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #254
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

lol in Quebec they don't want to duplicate anything...

But most of the time it's not a big problem, since most of the European countries use the Latin script, which means that destinations are readable by everyone. The few countries that use the Cyrillic script, as far as I know, also have the Latin (or more specifically, English) inscriptions on most signs.

But I do agree that certain important signs, such as the VMS (variable message signs) and signs that may be conveying important legal information (again, usually on VMS in Europe) should probably include English as well. But again, that's not so much of a problem, because unlike us in North America, the Europeans use pictographic signs for almost everything. On the other hand, in Canada/US you can sometimes be in trouble if you don't understand English (even if you can read it), because a lot of information on traffic signs is often conveyed using textual signs (especially in the US, I've noticed it's more of a problem in some states, with signs like "Freeway Begins").
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #255
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

This is pretty narrow:
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #256
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1016 View Post
Would I be considered a narrow-minded North American if I were to suggest that Most of Europe use one language on most Autobahns, to create less confusion?
Well, most roadsigns in Europe are symbols - also those which are only text in the States. The treaty of Vienna ordered to use those signs in all countries that ratified the treaty - which is almost complete Europe.

VMS's are primarily meant for locals, and their messages often are useless if you are not used to the local roadnetwork and numbering. Text in other languages is in most cases not needed.

A lot of Europeans are used to the fact that even 300 km abroad people speak other languages, and are customed by learning some of those languages in a very basic form in school. There are a lot of similarities between the different roman languages, or between the various germanic languages. This way it is not difficult to recognize words in other languages.

Adding English would only confuse. On the road you should have as less as possible words on signs, for reasons of traffic safety. The more information you have to react to at 120 km/h or more, the higher the chance of accidents. If 95% of the drivers by on a road are able to understand language X, stay to language X. And for those used that everything comes to them in English: just adept to the fact that this is not the lingua franca everywhere in the world.

I went to Czechia this year on holiday. Very nice country. My knowledge of Slavian languages was zero, but on the road it learns very fast. In one day Prague you know exactly what Patek-Pondeli means, or mimo MHD.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #257
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type
i guess there is a large downhill and in that case it wouldn't be weird for trucks to go down in 2nd or 3rd gear.
3rd gear is maximum 15 km/h. I wouldn't recommend that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto
And trucks don't do 40 in a downhill... I've seen tons of downhillls in motorways with up to 6% (mostly limited to 100km/h to all trafic) and trucks go maybe at 80km/h (if they do a safe driving... others may go at 100km/h), not 40km/h.
Don't forget a 40t truck has a WAY longer braking distance with those downhills. Technicly it is possible, indeed. But the driver has to keep at least 3-4 seconds to the driver in front of him. You really don't want to make an emergency stop there with a truck behind you, I can ensure you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio
There is a general speed limit of 90km/h for trucks on german autobahns.
80km/h, as far as I know.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #258
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
This is pretty narrow:
Narrow, it is. But easily drivable for average driver.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #259
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
3rd gear is maximum 15 km/h. I wouldn't recommend that.
khm, in Croatia we have a section on A6 where trucks go downhill about 20-30 km/h. why? because the difference in lattitude the motorway changes is about 500 m in about 10 km. you Netherlanders will never understand that
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #260
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
There is a general speed limit of 90km/h for trucks on german autobahns. And 40km/h downhill seems ok since trucks are unable to stop at higher speed if it gets downhill. Just imagine there is a crash and all the trucks just crash into it.

Too many accidents with trucks involved have happened already. And most were horrible crashs with many people killed.They are the most dangerous part on german auotbahns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
Don't forget a 40t truck has a WAY longer braking distance with those downhills. Technicly it is possible, indeed. But the driver has to keep at least 3-4 seconds to the driver in front of him. You really don't want to make an emergency stop there with a truck behind you, I can ensure you...
I know all of that. Still 40 km/h is way exagerated.

I've been on dozens of motorways downhills with a 6% grade and I don't see trucks doing 40... more like 80.. some of them possibly 60 or something.

But 40 is just crazy. I find a truck doing 40 in those descents VERY DANGEROUS, because if cars going behind it don't reallize in time the truck is doing 40 and have no time to change lanes, you can get a very nasty crash of a car doing let's say 100km/h against a truck doing 40km/h.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau