daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 17th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #2581
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Part 1: Frankfurt-Bockenheim to Nordwestkreuz Frankfurt via Frankfurt-Hausen and A66.

001: We start in Bockenheim, a city quarter in the western part of Frankfurt and follow this 4-lane-road until we reach the A66.

002:

003:

004: The full name of the exit of the A66 which we interchange is "Frankfurt am Main-Ludwig-Landmann-Straße".

005: It's a cloverleaf interchange.

006: We're on the A66 now. To turn back, just exit here.

007: Nordwestkreuz Frankfurt interchanges the local A66 and the transnational A5.

To be continued
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #2582
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Looks good. Can't wait to see more
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #2583
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Ok, let's head on the A5 northbound. You will notice, that I like to zoom the pics, although they might get blurred

Part 2: A5 Nordwestkreuz Frankfurt - Gambacher Kreuz.

008: The grey sign on the right turns on if there's too much traffic. It will allow you to use the emergency lane as a fourth driving lane.

009: The backside of the signs are often graffittied.

010: Bad Homburger Kreuz. The local A661 crosses the A5 here. You usually drive from Frankfurt to Köln via the A3 and not the A5/A45/A4, that's why Köln was not originally signed here.

011: We're touching the very east of the hilly Taunus range here.

012: The truck on the right says: "Without me, the Autobahn would be nicely empty. Just as your refridgerator."

013: Exit Friedberg.

014: Distance sign after Friedberg. To see where we actually are.

015: Patchwork on the middle lane. Wetterau is the name of the rather flat region we pass by.

016: After we leave the wooden Taunus range behind us, we can finally see the snow which is still left.

017: Annouce of the exit Ober-Mörlen.

018: Ober-Mörlen.

019: Exit Bad Nauheim (that's where Elvis Presley served for the US Army from 1958-60)

020: Exit Butzbach. Butzbach is known for having a nice old town. If you are interested to see how Butzbach looks like, just visit my photo thread in the Urban Showcase about it
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=984756

021: In the background, you see the village of Gambach.

022: Gambacher Kreuz, the A45 crosses the A5 here. I'll leave the A5 now.

To be continued.

Last edited by Patrick; February 18th, 2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #2584
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Part 3: A45 from Gambacher Kreuz to Herborn-West.

023: We're on the A45 now.

024: This autobahn is mostly 2+2 or 2+3 on hills.

025: Gießener Südkreuz. The crossing A485 is a pretty short Autobahn and functions as a bypass for the city of Gießen.

026: Another distance sign.

027: Quite some traffic now. Here exit Gießen-Lützellinden.

028: Some random bridge.

029: Exit Wetzlar-Süd. Btw: In the late 70s, the cities of Gießen and Wetzlar have been unified to a new city called "Lahn", named after the river flowing thru both cities. This new city had more than 150,000 inhabitants. BUT: The city centers of Wetzlar and Gießen are more than 20 km away from wach other, so, 2 years later, both cites became their own independent cities again.

030: Exit Wetzlar-Ost. The B49 between Limburg and Gießen is a pretty important connection between Rhineland-Palatinate and Eastern Germany. In long term this stretch of the B49 connecting the A3 and A45 will be completley 2+2, as far as I know.

031: Btw, I also have a photo thread about the pretty old town of Limburg here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=861610

032: We're getting closer to Westphalia and the Ruhr-Area. Siegen already belongs to southern Westphalia.

033: Finally, a third lane again. We're leaving the Lahn valley now and go up to the hills of the Westerwald and Lahn-Dill-Bergland. In the background, you see the annouce of the Wetzlarer Kreuz, which is the very only 4-level-stack-interchange in Germany. Although that interchange is rather unimportant and a relict of abandonned plannings.

034: Another bridge.

035: If former plannings would have been realised, we would see A48 and destinations like Koblenz, Gießen, Marburg, Erfurt here instead of and Bischoffen or Hohenahr. And I've just noticed: The very short A480 is even not signed here.

036: 2 lanes again.

037: Ad 2010 for driving at reasonable speeds. The design of these ads change every year.

038: Exit Ehringshausen.

039: Hill.

040: Exit Herborn-Süd. Oh, and we're having 3 lanes again.

041: Touristic sign for Herborn. If you'd like to see, why they have it, visit my Herborn-photo thread
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=896446

042: Exit Herborn-West. I'm reaching my home region, the Westerwald, now. Btw: It's named Westerwald because it's west of Herborn.

To be countinued. On federal roads. No autobahn part left.
Old February 18th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #2585
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

According to the Autobahn Atlas and my own observations, significant portions of A45 between Dortmund and Herborn have 2+3 lanes. Are there plans to widen this section to 2x3 lanes continuously? Traffic (Verkehrsaufkommen) on A45 is pretty high until the Gambacher Kreuz, especially trucks, so 3 lanes would be much more comfortable.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #2586
piotr71

Nice trip Nicely picturized

I remember Giessen very well. Several years ago I was kind of lost over there. I followed E40 European road from Koln trying to reach Polish border.
Suddenly, just by Giessen, international numbering disappeared. I probably turned to a national road leading to Erfurt or something. Anyway, it was not A45/ E40 anymore. I was drifting for some longer time around Giessen, eventually finding myself somwhere on A5.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #2587
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

thx and now after you said it...there is no relation at the gambacher kreuz coming from siegen driving to erfurt/poland. so you had to drive via A485 at Gießener Südkreuz all the way to Gießener Nordkreuz, change to A480, and finally change to A5 at Dreieck Reiskrichen east of Gießen. Or even earlier, at Wetzlar-Ost, change to B49 and later near Gießen change to 485...GoogleMapsLink

So, let's continue with part 4, also the biggest and last part.

Part 4: B255 from Herborn to Driedorf-Hohenroth, B414 from Hohenroith to Hachenburg, B413 from Hachenburg to Herschbach and finally L305 from Herschbach to Selters, where my camera ran out of energy on the last kilometers

043: Leaving the A45 at AS Herborn-West.

044: Let's turn right and enter the Westerwald

045: The B255 between Herborn and Driedorf-Hohenroth is 2+1 at large parts.

046: We won't pass thru any village on the B255 on this stretch, they are all bypassed.

047: Other parts of this road have two very wide single lanes.

048: transition from 1+1 to 2+1

049: the hill in the background is the Höllberg, 643m. It's the highest point of the hessian part of the Westerwald.

050: reaching a roundabout near Driedorf.

051: the roundabout.

052: junction to the Höllkopf.

053: unfortunately, the show is melting. i like snow

054: there are quite lots of wind turbines here.

055: this is one "major" junction. the B414 begins here, main direction to Köln via Altenkirchen. The B255 leads to Koblenz via Montabaur in the end.

056: we're on the B414 now. I was really lucky with the blue sky after lots of cloudy days before.

057: who needs a crashbarrier if you have a snow barrier?

058: the Fuchskaute is the highest hill in the Westerwald. 654m. Strange: On previous signs, Bad Marienberg (5,700 inh) and Altenkirchen (6,000 inh) were signed. Both disappeared, now Hachenburg (5,700 inh) is on the sign.

059: Rolling down to Nister-Möhrendorf (331 inh).

060: another "major" junction. B54 connects Limburg (34,000 inh) and Siegen (104,000 inh) and A3/A45 on an north/south axis.

061: more wind turbines.

062: and another wind turbine.

063: Hof (1,200 inh).

064: What the...?

065: junction to Bad Marienberg.

066: rolling thru Kirburg (600 inh)

067: between Kirburg and Hachenburg, there are some 2+1 stretches again.

068: the road follows an embankment.

069: 1+1 again.

070: we're now bypassing the town of Hachenburg, which is to the left behind the hill. Btw: I have also a picture about the old town of Hachenburg here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=969674

071: the road to Betzdorf (10,000) is also mostly 2+1, although it's just a Landesstraße and not a Bundesstraße.

072: time for me to leave the B414 and head to Koblenz on the B413.

073: so, we're on the B413 now. In the background you can see the barock palace of Hachenburg.

074: but I won't enter the town as this road is also bypassing it.

075: heading home.

076: the B413 has not many bypasses, we're finally riding thru the villages here: Merkelbach (422 inh).

077: Wied (497 inh).

078: Höchstenbach (690 inh). There is another "major" crossing. Here as a TOTSO. no matter from which direction you come, you always have to change the road if you want to stay on the road number. The B8 runs parallel to the A3 all the way from the durch to the austrian border.

079: I'll follow the B413 and will go left in the background.

080: Mündersbach (745 inh).

081: Bypassing Herschbach (3000 inh). I grew up there, that village is what I consider to be my home.

082: I have to change the road again. From B413 to L305. L-roads are usually not numbered on the signs.

083: The L305 is also bypassing Herschbach.

084: In fact, this roads bypasses every village until it reaches Mogendorf and the A3 (exit Ransbach-Baumbach).

That's it. My camera ran out of energy. I hope you enjoyed watching them, although 2-lane-roads might be rather uninteresting compared to Autobahns
Old February 18th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #2588
Tramfreak
ΔE = hv

This week I used the German highways A61, A6, A81 and A8 twice to get from Venlo to Stuttgart and back. There were no traffic jams (only some very bad and dangerous driving on the way back). But I was surprised by the stupid sound barriers which they made at the A6 around Sinsheim. You cannot see the wonderful museum with its airplanes anymore, which was one of the very few interesting things to be seen around the highway! And what does the wall protect? An industrial zone, yes, there are no houses behind it! Can anyone explain this useless measure, which even eliminates one very important way for the museum to advertise itself?
Old February 18th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #2589
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What's the current status of A6 between Walldorf and Weinsberg? Last time I was there, there was a huge Baustelle with lots of traffic jams. Is this section 2x3 already?
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #2590
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramfreak View Post
But I was surprised by the stupid sound barriers which they made at the A6 around Sinsheim. You cannot see the wonderful museum with its airplanes anymore, which was one of the very few interesting things to be seen around the highway!
That is right. Though, one huge passenger plane could still had been seen in the gap between barriers, while ago. At least in July last year. Have they blocked all view now?
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #2591
Tramfreak
ΔE = hv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What's the current status of A6 between Walldorf and Weinsberg? Last time I was there, there was a huge Baustelle with lots of traffic jams. Is this section 2x3 already?
There wasn't any Baustelle there anymore as far as I know, and that whole section seemed to be 2x3. The only construction works I saw were somewhere on the A61. Wikipedia says that some parts of the section are 2x3 even though the width of the highway is actually too small for this configuration.

You could see something when approaching the museum, but there was no gap between the barriers anymore.
Old February 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #2592
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Severel road widening projects will be completed during the next few months in the Ruhr area:

A1 Wuppertal - Köln
Several sections of A1 between Wuppertal and Köln will be widened to 2x3 lanes. This will mean most of the A1 will be 2x3 through the Rhein-Ruhr area by 2010. The section near Hagen has been completed on december 23rd, 2009. This means A1 will be 2x3 for at least 100 kilometer.
[IMG]http://i50.************/k9c8yt.png[/IMG]

A2 Dortmund - Hamm
The last remaining 2x2 section between the Kamener Kreuz (A1) and Hamm will be widened to 2x3 in 2010. Then all of the A2 will be continuously 2x3 for 486 kilometers.
[IMG]http://i45.************/2rpafs9.png[/IMG]

A40 Essen - Bochum
The parking lot called A40 or Ruhrschnellweg will see a completion of the widening to 2x3 in early 2010. It consists of the section between Gelsenkirchen-Süd and Bochum-Stahlhausen. I expect the A44 to be running concurrent here in the future.
[IMG]http://i47.************/8zedso.png[/IMG]

A59 Duisburg
This major bottleneck near downtown Duisburg will be widened to 2x3 lanes until mid-2010. It mainly provides a commuter link, as through traffic uses the parallel A3.
[IMG]http://i49.************/2uzb804.png[/IMG]
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #2593
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Severel road widening projects will be completed during the next few months in the Ruhr area:

A1 Wuppertal - Köln
Several sections of A1 between Wuppertal and Köln will be widened to 2x3 lanes. This will mean most of the A1 will be 2x3 through the Rhein-Ruhr area by 2010. The section near Hagen has been completed on december 23rd, 2009. This means A1 will be 2x3 for at least 100 kilometer.
There are 2 sections missing - around Wuppertal and between Remscheid and Wermelskirchen. Both should be finished in 2011.
Link
Information

Quote:
A40 Essen - Bochum
The parking lot called A40 or Ruhrschnellweg will see a completion of the widening to 2x3 in early 2010. It consists of the section between Gelsenkirchen-Süd and Bochum-Stahlhausen. I expect the A44 to be running concurrent here in the future.
This section is divided into 4 parts:
- around exit 'Gelseinkirchen-Süd': finished end 2010
- Part A (1.86km): finished in January; but it will be 2x2 until the Part around exit 'Gelseinkirchen-Süd' is done
- Part B (1.78km): until May 2012
- Part C: arund exit 'Bochum-Stahlhausen': until End 2012
Link
Information
The A44 will have this route in the future. The former B227 arund Essen-Kupferdreh is A44 since the beginning of this year.

Quote:
A59 Duisburg
This major bottleneck near downtown Duisburg will be widened to 2x3 lanes until mid-2010. It mainly provides a commuter link, as through traffic uses the parallel A3.
It'd divided in 2 parts:
The sothern part will be done this year, the northern part with a new 300m tunnel in front of the Central station will be widened until end 2012.
Link
Information
ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #2594
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABRob View Post
The A44 will have this route in the future. The former B227 arund Essen-Kupferdreh is A44 since the beginning of this year.
Did they change the signs already? I was there in may 2009, and took the following pics:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #2595
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Did they change the signs already?
No, it will be done sometime in summer.
ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:11 AM   #2596
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Just a general question for you Europeans. How do you know which side of the road to drive on when there's a 2x1 with dashed white lines down the middle?
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:57 AM   #2597
thun

Erm, we simply drive on the side which you have to. Apparently Americans can't figure out whether they have to stay left or right.

Seriously: the dashed line means that you're allowed to overtake on 2x1 roads (but you have to pay attention to the oncoming traffic, obviously). A continuous line means that you're not allowed to overtake.
On roads with more than one lane per direction you have to use the right and are only allowed to go to the left when overtaking. At least in theory.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:09 AM   #2598
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I understand the question.

Take a look at this;

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

(US 82 in Texas, by OKroads)

You can barely or not see the other carriageway, but the yellow marking shows you this is a 2x2 road. Grassy medians are much more common and guard rails are not as frequent as in Europe.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM   #2599
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Just a general question for you Europeans. How do you know which side of the road to drive on when there's a 2x1 with dashed white lines down the middle?
"Stay right except to pass" is a general rule everywhere in Europe.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:11 PM   #2600
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
I understand the question.
I don't.
I can understand that in some cases it may be hard to tell the road layout from the single still image, but when you drive you should remember what type of road you've entered. Anyone having problems telling the 2x2 from 2x1 apart shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place...

Quote:
"Stay right except to pass" is a general rule everywhere in Europe.
Uhm, [IMG]http://t0.************/images?q=tbn:haWIWPspnDhr7M:http://www.edaxxa.in/assets/user/images/United%2520Kingdom%2520%26%2520Ireland%2520Flag%2520Map.jpg[/IMG], yeah.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau