daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2641
thun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaw View Post
1) If a speed limit / speed limit zone sign (274 / 274.1) is accompanied with the "bei Naesse" table (1052-36), does it mean the limitation only takes place when the road surface is wet?
Exactly.

Quote:
2) Are normal speed limits (274) canceled by junctions? Is autobahn exit considered a junction?
No. But after entrances in a section with speed limit, there's another speed limit sign anyway. So you can't do wrong - if there's another one, your in a speed limited section, if there isn't, well, step down the throttle (like you could have done before).
Is that rule you describd applied in Poland?

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #2642
tompaw

Likes (Received): 1

Pretty much the same here - speed limits are canceled by junctions (which is logical if you think about it) and the motorway entrances/exits are considered junctions (at least they were 8 years ago when I was passing my license).

Thanks for your answers mate!
tompaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #2643
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

It doesn't work that way in the Netherlands. The motorway sign means 120 km/h, unless otherwise posted. If you enter the motorway, it's 120 km/h, until you see another posted limit, even if there are multiple interchanges and exits in between. Only other speed limits than regular (mway = 120, outside urban area = 80, urban area = 50) are canceled by the next junction.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #2644
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It doesn't work that way in the Netherlands. The motorway sign means 120 km/h, unless otherwise posted. If you enter the motorway, it's 120 km/h, until you see another posted limit, even if there are multiple interchanges and exits in between. Only other speed limits than regular (mway = 120, outside urban area = 80, urban area = 50) are canceled by the next junction.
Hmm, it works in the same way in Poland. National speed limits cannot be canceled by a junction but posted limits can (always are). As far as I understand there is no difference in Germany.

The question asked by tompaw is coming from different rules applied in the UK. Neither roundabouts nor junctions erase applied by signs speed limit over there.

Last edited by piotr71; March 9th, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #2645
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
The question asked by tompaw is coming from different rules applied in the UK. No cross roads, roundabouts or junctions erase applied by signs speed limit over there.
And neither do restriction of any kind end at junctions in Germany.
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #2646
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
And neither do restriction of any kind end at junctions in Germany.
Right, I was wrong. PL, NL- posted limits canceled by junctions. GB, Germany- not.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #2647
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

There's an obvious reason: drivers entering the road can only be fined for a lower maximum speed when they pass a sign. So a lower speed limit can only be maintained by posting a sign after each junction. Because everyone can argument he entered the road on that particular junction without a sign...
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #2648
ChrisZwolle
Road user

25 people were injured in a massive pile-up on A8 near Augsburg. 100 cars and 30 trucks collided on the Autobahn due to a combination of ice and fog.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; March 12th, 2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #2649
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

For 17 more pics....

http://www.bt.dk/nyheder/231-biler-i...-tysk-motorvej

What a mess.........

Last edited by kosimodo; March 12th, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
kosimodo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #2650
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
There's an obvious reason: drivers entering the road can only be fined for a lower maximum speed when they pass a sign. So a lower speed limit can only be maintained by posting a sign after each junction. Because everyone can argument he entered the road on that particular junction without a sign...
In Austria that's not the case either. However, lower or higher speed limits are posted at regular intervals. So if there are multiple intersections with minor roads or driveways in close proximity it saves a lot of money on unnecessary signs and avoids sign clutter. In the real world it's simply not a problem.
(just as white centerlines are no source of confusion 99.99% of the time)
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #2651
thun

There have been several pile-ups in Bavaria today, for instance in Lower Bavaria near Straubing (41 cars and 3 lorries on 300m!) and in Northern Swabia due to fog combined with snow. Overall they counted over 100 accidents since yesterday in Bavaria alone.
Old March 14th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #2652
Endrix

Likes (Received): 0

Hello Skyscrapercity members
I was wondering if anyone has got any new information or photos of the A8 (Munchen - Stuttgart) autobahn. I remember in summer 2009 they were busy expanding from 2x2 to 3x3, some parts were finished and were really great (although from concrete).
Endrix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #2653
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Chris and I just checked out the B54 near Steinfurt. It seems like it's about to open soon, only some minor things have to be done and the markings are still missing. Pics will follow.
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #2654
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Another new highway?

You know what I want? I want an IB Autobahn Engineering class at school. SL and HL.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #2655
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

This is only a 5 km gap in the B54 that still has to be closed. After that there won't be any level crossings anymore on the B54 between Glanerbrug (NL, still N35 there) and Münster.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:16 AM   #2656
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

A10 Dreieck Schwanebeck-Dreieck Pankow upgrade to 2x3.

Dreieck Schwanebeck will be reconstructed, Berlin Wießensee - closed. Now it looks like this:

And in the future (picture found on autobahn-online.de):

Driving from Szczecin.

Looking towards Frankfurt/Dresden (from the bridge on the right).

Dreieck Schwanebeck.

Works on Dr. Schwanebeck - Dr. Pankow section.

pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #2657
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Folks, c'mon, post smaller pictures, not everybody does have 30" monitors.
But... But... That's what the scroll bar is for.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #2658
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Summer travel bottlenecks

I'm quite familiar with images of August weekend's bottlenecks in German Autobahnen seen form TV. Like a 30km sector completely jammed with family vans, campers etc.

I know other countries like Italy and Austria suffer from this problem in particularly busy weekends in August, Christmas, Easter, Ascension and a couple other holidays.

However, France and Spain seem relatively immune to such horrendous congestions.

Why do you think Germany is particularly prone to such huge congestion in holidays? Do German folks travel more than average, do they use more car on family vacations or do specific bottlenecks plague the Autobahnen system?
Old April 18th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #2659
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 790

Well france does certainly suffer...

Think about all the trafic coming out of paris in the beginning, and returning later.

Also the whole of the Route the Soleil, is jammed with mainly Dutch and Parisian holiday go'ers!!
Old April 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #2660
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Germany is a country with 82 million inhabitants, way more than France or Italy. They do have some form of spreading when people get vacation, but generally, the days are the busiest when also half of the Netherlands leaves for Italy or the Alps.

The worst holiday bottlenecks are;

* A3 Frankfurt - Würzburg - Nürnberg
* A8 Karlsruhe - Stuttgart - München - Salzburg
* A9 Nürnberg - München

during the winter, there are also problems on A7 Ulm - Memmingen - Füssen and A93 Rosenheim - Austrian border.

The main holiday peak is usually from half July to the first week of August. The French peaks are somewhat later, first in July due to Dutchmen and Germans, then in August when the French themselves migrate south.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau