daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #2661
thun

A93 is problematic in summer as well.

And it's not only the 82 million people, but also the fact that Germany is located in the centre of Europe and therefore has to handle commercial transit traffic as well as traffic of foreign tourists going through Germany. However, Germans are the people which tend to travel most worldwide, so finally it all adds up.

I. e. of all the Spanish tourism, only a very small number arrives by car (and these are mainly French going to camping in Catalunya, so they are concentrated in a very small region of the country. And there's obviously much less transit traffic in Spain as well.

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #2662
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

For those who understand German:

http://www.mdr.de/thueringen-journal/7257034.html

fast-forward to 7:46 and see a German roadmeet in Thüringen on the news
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #2663
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
For those who understand German:

http://www.mdr.de/thueringen-journal/7257034.html

fast-forward to 7:46 and see a German roadmeet in Thüringen on the news
Oh man, how did you find that?? I'm in that video in my beautiful yellow shirt Mr. Schmidt "ist Klasse"
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #2664
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

A-A / Salzburg - Kiefersfelden / A8 and A93

Some pics taken by me on a way to the Alps. I was going in morning and weather was awful. Motorway to Munich was crowded, which is not something unusual for this section. I taken these pics 2 months ago, on Saturday. There are many Dutch cars as you can see. They had holidays these days.

wikipedia.com
Quote:
Der erste Spatenstich zur heutigen A 8 erfolgte am 21. März 1934 auf der Strecke München–Salzburg in Unterhaching durch Adolf Hitler als Hauptveranstaltung zur Eröffnung der so genannten Arbeitsschlacht, als Reichsautobahn 26. Gleichzeitig erfolgte an 22 anderen Stellen im Deutschen Reich der erste Spatenstich für Autobahnen. Die Vorbereitungsarbeiten hatten bereits am 1. September 1933 mit der Einrichtung der Obersten Bauleitung München begonnen.

road was crowded so we decided to go through the villages

direction Bad Feilnbach

traffic jams were also on the other roads

back on

Republik Österreich!

... schon geklebt?

Last edited by seem; January 6th, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #2665
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

this motorway looks like the worst expressway in slovenia. I like it though, there is nice landscape.
It really needs widening.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #2666
seem
Mornar bez mora

yes, it seems to be. In our bad motorway network we don`t even have a motorway in bad condition like that. Of course, you must realise that our (slovenske/slovenské slovak/slovenian) motorways and expressways are not so old. This is one of these from the "Hitler era". In 30` was low traffic so roads were constructed in bad conditions.
Old April 20th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #2667
BigMike90

Likes (Received): 4

lots of yellow dutch number plates, spending their cash on the local economy.... lol
BigMike90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #2668
Vallex

Likes (Received): 0

those pics are the exact one that I am going to share..just in different direction
Vallex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:55 AM   #2669
seem
Mornar bez mora

Can`t wait for these pics. I am also going to upload some pics from Austrian motorways A12 and A13, so you will see it in the Austrian thread.
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:38 PM   #2670
muc

Likes (Received): 38

The A8 between Rosenheim and Salzburg is clearly one of the worst in Germany. It was one of the very first Autobahns that were built in the 30ies and hasn't seen much upgrades since.

I hear it's planned to get upgraded soon but I don't know the schedule. Can't wait for it, though the situation will get even worse during the construction.
muc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:55 PM   #2671
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The "erweiterung" (widening) of A8 is in several planning stages between Dreieck Inntal and the Austrian border. It will be widened to six lanes.

The first section between Dreieck Inntal and Frasdorf (16 km) has the status of "vordringlicher bedarf". This is a high priority (urgent need).
The second section between Frasdorf and Grabenstätt (14 km) has the status of "weiterer bedarf" This is a medium priority (further need).
The third section between Grabenstätt and the Austrian border (35km) has the status of "weiterer bedarf mit Erstellung Vorentwurf". This is a medium priority with designing in progress.

Why the entire 65 kilometers doesn't have the same status, I don't know. They're still talking about the mitigation measures and possible different alignments. Some sections of A8 have a substandard alignment with tight curves, not suited for widening to six lanes. Basically the whole section needs a significant overhaul because shoulders are missing as well. It's not just adding a third lane to the side. You need to reconstruct bridges, overpasses, interchanges and the general alignment. Some sections have a grade that is too steep for trucks to flow gently.

Usually the steepest grades found are 7 to 8%, but it's better to stick to 4 - 5% to avoid trucks slowing down to 40 km/h or less. It should also be considered to widen some grades to 4 lanes to allow trucks to pass others without disrupting the other lanes of traffic.
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:17 PM   #2672
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
One story that I heard a few years ago was that German highway engineers visited the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut in the early 1930s to get ideas for their earliest autobahns, although I'm not sure how true that is. The Pennsylvania Turnpike was modeled after the earliest autobahns and we all in here (should) know of Dwight D. Eisenhower's military experiences regarding roads before he became USA President in 1953.

Mike
Forgive me if someone's already said so (in the last two years!) - I'm new, and catching up on my reading :-). Just wanted to mention that the Merritt, as far as I know, opened in 1940, so the early 30s wouldn't be possible. But several of the parkways in Westchester County and on Long Island date back as far as the late 20s....
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:23 PM   #2673
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think Mr. J.N. Winkler once said it was one of the Parkways on Long Island, probably the Wantagh State Parkway. Although it didn't seem plausible they saw this road in operation, it was possible that the German engineers saw the designs.

There is one difference though, the Long Island Parkways were meant for recreation, and later commuting, while the German Autobahns were intended for long-distance traffic. Germany was the first country in the world to build a full-scale long-distance motorway network. France didn't follow until the late 1960's and early 1970's with their Autoroutes. Not sure about Italy though.
Old April 21st, 2010, 11:11 PM   #2674
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Why the entire 65 kilometers doesn't have the same status, I don't know. They're still talking about the mitigation measures and possible different alignments. Some sections of A8 have a substandard alignment with tight curves, not suited for widening to six lanes. Basically the whole section needs a significant overhaul because shoulders are missing as well. It's not just adding a third lane to the side. You need to reconstruct bridges, overpasses, interchanges and the general alignment. Some sections have a grade that is too steep for trucks to flow gently.

Usually the steepest grades found are 7 to 8%, but it's better to stick to 4 - 5% to avoid trucks slowing down to 40 km/h or less. It should also be considered to widen some grades to 4 lanes to allow trucks to pass others without disrupting the other lanes of traffic.
In fact, it will be like a new motorway. I am not surprised. This motorway has 80 years and it doesn`t matter just on traffic and parameters. Quality of road old like that is awful. It has to be rebuild anyway.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:28 PM   #2675
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by enschede-er View Post
HALLO i;m talking about now , not about a century a go , amost people call it KOLN , by german. i know better than you i live close to bonn so shut up
Actual English-speaking people, as opposed to Eurotrash who think they speak English (and who think they have the right to make my native tongue into their Esperanto because it's easier than actually learning their neighbors' languages), say "Cologne."

"amost" should be "almost" (or "most," in this context).
"by german" should be "in German."
"i" is capitalized. So, for that matter, is "Bonn." And "German."
And "hallo" is characteristic of the British English of...a century ago. It's "Hello" today.

Sorry. I feel better now.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM   #2676
Dantiscum

Likes (Received): 383

Actually you should be lucky for having your native language as modern latin, so that you don't have to learn any other languages more... I'd prefer learning any other language (there are so many other beautiful tongues!) than this strange germanic-romanic mix. And instead being gracious for this gift from God you're complaining and trying to compare yours language skills (as native speaker!) with persons of other nationalities, which is nonsense.
Remember: people in Europe don't want to learn your language, but they have to! Even if they don't like UK or US.
And sorry for my english, but it's not my fault that all international threads are in english, I tried my best.
Dantiscum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #2677
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

It's not a gift for the English that their language became today's lingua franca. It's rather an imposition. This forum exemplifies how the English language is actually raped. The kind of English that is written here is just a disgrace. No wonder that very few native speakers read these pages.
It's not a shame to look up for terms and expressions. It is a shame, however, to discharge linguistic waste here and elsewhere.

I disagree with Penn's Woods in one point, the usage of exonyms. But with anything else he/she is absolutely right.

Last edited by flierfy; April 24th, 2010 at 02:30 AM.
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #2678
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
This forum is a very good example to exemplify how
I am the one who probably "rape" English very well However, is not tautology kind of acting in the same way as raping? Look above.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #2679
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
I am the one who probably "rape" English very well However, is not tautology kind of acting in the same way as raping? Look above.
Well, you caught me out. This sentence is indeed pretty daft. I use the opportunity to correct it.
Old April 25th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #2680
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantiscum View Post
Actually you should be lucky for having your native language as modern latin, so that you don't have to learn any other languages more... I'd prefer learning any other language (there are so many other beautiful tongues!) than this strange germanic-romanic mix. And instead being gracious for this gift from God you're complaining and trying to compare yours language skills (as native speaker!) with persons of other nationalities, which is nonsense.
Remember: people in Europe don't want to learn your language, but they have to! Even if they don't like UK or US.
And sorry for my english, but it's not my fault that all international threads are in english, I tried my best.
I sincerely apologize for overstating my point (especially since the fight I was wading through was going on months ago), but...

Actually, I love languages. I majored in French and minored in German; have learned Dutch (yes, Dutch) and Spanish on my own. I work very hard to make my French in particular as good as possible. BUT I realize my French will never be perfect, no matter how hard I try, and for that reason I would never, as a non-French speaker, presume to correct other people's French. For a non-English speaker to announce confidently that "no one says Cologne any more" would be out of line even if it were true - which it isn't - and even if his English were better than it appears to be. Non-native-speakers don't get to make the rules for languages that aren't their own. They do their best with the language as its native speakers use it, and have a right to our indulgence when they make mistakes. But they give up that right to our indulgence when they start "correcting" (incorrectly) others.

Personally, I wish Europeans would realize how blessed they are to have such a diversity of cultures in easy reach. In parts of France close to the German border, learning German should be at least as important as learning English, and vice versa obviously....

I read a column in the New York Times a few years ago saying that Americans and other native speakers of English ought to be conscious of the fact that millions of non-native speakers are using it today, and ought to simplify our English accordingly. No, sorry. The rest of the world is welcome to learn English and to attempt to use it well and correctly. But we have the right to use it in all its subtlety and richness without dumbing our own speech down. And we get to make the rules. Which includes continuing to use English names for foreign places that have them.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau