daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #2781
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

A52 Kreuz Düsseldorf-Nord - Dreieck Essen-Ost

This short set follows Autobahn A52 from Düsseldorf to Essen, in a northeast direction. It mainly serves the southern side of the city of Essen.

route:
[IMG]http://i47.************/3x1ll.png[/IMG]

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #2782
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Excellent. It may well be that I'll be driving on some of those roads soon so it helps to get familiar.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #2783
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

Great photos Chris. Thank you.

Is there a plan soon to build A44 between Ratingen and Velbert South? And later in Essen to connect it to A52?

Also, when could A52 be finished trough the city of Essen all the way to the north?
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #2784
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A44 is currently under construction between Kreuz Ratingen-Ost and Velbert and will be opened in 2015. It will feature at least 5 major bridges across valleys.

A44 already continues as B227 from Velbert into Essen, but a connection to A52 seems unlikely. There are also no plans to construct A44 from Velbert to Bochum, but there are plans to funnel east-west traffic down to A40 and a reconstruction of the Bochum loop, so traffic from Düsseldorf to Dortmund is streamlined across this route.

The widening of A40 to six lanes is currently executed, and to be completed in March 2012. An interchange (Dreieck Bochum-West) is also under construction. I'll show pictures of it in the next post.
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #2785
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Pictures of A40 between Essen and Bochum.

1. Vanaf de A52 de A40 oprijdend. De A52 versmalt hier ook van 3 naar 1 over 2 kilometer ofzo, maar is niet bijzonder druk.
image hosted on flickr

2. En flitspalen staan er inderdaad. (bij een station in de middenberm)
image hosted on flickr

3. Essen-Frillendorf.
image hosted on flickr

4. Opvallend, links 100 km/uur.
image hosted on flickr

5. Essen-Kray.
image hosted on flickr

6. Stau.
image hosted on flickr

7. In de file. Het versmalt hier van 3 naar 2.
image hosted on flickr

8. Een tijdelijke rechtdoorpijl op het afslagbord.
image hosted on flickr

9. Dat duurt nog effe.
image hosted on flickr

10. En van 2 naar 1.
image hosted on flickr

11. Bochum-Wattenscheid-West
image hosted on flickr

12. Opvallend: Dreieck Bochum-West. Dit is nieuw.
image hosted on flickr

13. Bochum-Wattenscheid.
image hosted on flickr

14. Verbreding van de A40.
image hosted on flickr

15. Bochum-Stahlhausen. Het staat slecht aangegeven dat dit de Autobahnähnliche zuidring van Bochum is. Dat moet je maar net weten (waarschijnlijk om verkeer richting Witten en Wuppertal over de A40 en A43 te geleiden).
image hosted on flickr

16. Bouw van de nieuwe fly-over. Let op het forse hoogteverschil.
image hosted on flickr
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #2786
rarse

OK thanks for all that info.

I believe I saw once there is a whole anti-A52 group which doesn't want A52 to built trough Essen.

So I guess A52 trough Essen will be very very long project.

P.S.: I was driving on A40 2-3 years ago trough Essen and there were no works back then. Anyway there seems very very narrow in Essen.
Old June 27th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #2787
ChrisZwolle
Road user

About A52 through Essen:

http://strassen.nrw.de/projekte/lueckenschluesse.html
Quote:
Autobahnkreuz Essen-Ost (A40) bis Autobahnkreuz Essen-Nord (A42)
Länge: 7,1 Kilometer
Kosten: 385,7 Millionen Euro
Stand: im Vorentwurf
geplante Fertigstellung: 2023
So, this section is 7.1 km long, costs € 385.7 million, is in pre-design stages and will be completed in 2023.

[IMG]http://i49.************/5y6b1d.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 27th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #2788
rarse

Chris, thank you!

From this picture-plan it looks like the southern part would not be needed for much tunnels but the norhern part defenitely will.
Old June 27th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #2789
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think some homes near Essen-Frillendorf would have to be removed, since a bridge across that big railroad yard is needed. North of that, there is some right-of-way, it seems, but it would definitely require some removing of homes and businesses. A tunnel seems to be the most logical option for the northernmost section in Essen-Altenessen. A surface Autobahn would require massive demolition of buildings.
Old June 27th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #2790
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That also brings us to Autobahn A44 extension to A52, otherwise there would not be a continuous Autobahn to Bochum. A44 currently ends near Essen-Heisingen, south of the city. (this was previously B227).

An extension northbound would require a long tunnel, but worse, there is no space for an interchange near Essen-Bergerhausen, as A52 is already within tight quarters there. (it runs depressed, below grade there)

There is more space near Essen-Rüttenscheid. It would require a tunnel under Essen-Rellinghausen, and demolition of several homes and buildings for an interchange with A52.

Importantly, A52 already has six lanes from this point to the future Kreuz Essen-Ost, to combine A52 and A44 traffic.
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #2791
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Apart from those autobahnen, I would like to see a complete A99 around Munich.
And I like that autobahnen have no speed limit, so people can go as fast as they want. Thinking more, there's really a speed limit on autobahnen: The light speed, since you can't go faster than light
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; July 5th, 2010 at 10:15 PM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #2792
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's also interesting to note the construction of A44 in Bochum has received it's final go-ahead, as all appeals against the construction have been annulled by the court in Leipzig.

The demolition of buildings will start in the end of 2010, while actual construction of A44 is due to begin in late 2011.

A44 will be constructed south of the Opel factory, and includes a new interchange with the existing Bochum Loop. Meanwhile, the connection of the Bochum Loop with Autobahn A40 west of the city is also being improved.
[IMG]http://i47.************/2ai0h0p.jpg[/IMG]

What is left is the upgrade of the Loop itself. It lacks shoulders, but is 2x2 and grade-separated.
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #2793
fetg_

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think some homes near Essen-Frillendorf would have to be removed, since a bridge across that big railroad yard is needed. North of that, there is some right-of-way, it seems, but it would definitely require some removing of homes and businesses. A tunnel seems to be the most logical option for the northernmost section in Essen-Altenessen. A surface Autobahn would require massive demolition of buildings.
What's the current price on real estate close to that suggested route? How would this route affect this in such dense region?
fetg_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #2794
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The population of Essen has been declining for decades. It has reached a peak of 731.000 inhabitants in 1962, to 580.000 in 2009, so my guess is real estate is not too pricey in this area.
Old June 27th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #2795
fetg_

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
my guess is real estate is not too pricey in this area.
But it could get higher if they build this stretch. Low real estate price, then highway and higher price. High real estate price, then a nearby highway on groundlevel might decrease the price.

Anyway, lets remove the houses then and build it on the ground.
fetg_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #2796
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

I was just about to ask about the status of the A44 by the Opal plant when I scrolled down to your post on it!

Anyways, I can't help but notice that the Rhine-Rhur area is chocked full of annoying loose ends and ghost interchanges and that it appears that some of them, at least, will be taken care of.

A few others that come to my mind:

-Howabout the other end of that part of the A44, this the ghost end at the A45, any current plans for that?

-Also, the A40-44 street section in Dortmund?

-One of the more interesting roads that appear to have greater aspirations in that area is the A524. What are/were the ultimate plans for that one? Prognosis?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #2797
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
-Howabout the other end of that part of the A44, this the ghost end at the A45, any current plans for that?
As far as I know, there are no plans to connect both A44's west and east of Dortmund. There is, however, a reasonable alternate route in A45 and A1, which are both six-lane Autobahns.

Quote:
-Also, the A40-44 street section in Dortmund?
This will be reconstructed into a free-flowing route. The western approach is already under construction, including a new viaduct. There are plans for a tunnel under B1 near central Dortmund. The record of decision has been judged legal by the court of Münster.

Quote:
-One of the more interesting roads that appear to have greater aspirations in that area is the A524. What are/were the ultimate plans for that one? Prognosis?
There were plans for an Autobahn A54, which would've ran from the Dutch border near Brunssum to Plettenberg. Only current A542 and L141n in Solingen were constructed. I took pictures of L141n last year, check here

However, there are still plans to extend A542 west across the Rhine river to A57, but it is currently deemed to expensive.
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #2798
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
There were plans for an Autobahn A54, which would've ran from the Dutch border near Brunssum to Plettenberg. Only current A542 and L141n in Solingen were constructed. I took pictures of L141n last year, check here

However, there are still plans to extend A542 west across the Rhine river to A57, but it is currently deemed to expensive.
I was thinking of the A524, not the A542:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...,0.175781&z=13

(There is also a segment just to the west of that image)

Also, the A59 in that area.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #2799
shipmand56
David

Likes (Received): 0

Taking photos on the move

I am curious as to how people fix their cameras to take a shot on the move. I am thinking of some kind of fixing for the camera above eye level (perhaps near the rear view mirror) whereby I could see the screen and press a remote button on or near the steering wheel. Also powering it from the car would be good. Anyone with any pics of how they have done it?
shipmand56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #2800
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I never did that. I just shoot from the hand, even with manual gears, there's usually no problem with shifting, because you can drive in 5th on most Autobahns. If you do have to gear down / up, I just put the camera on my leg. I don't do city photographing though.

As with the powering from the car, I have an AC/DC converter in my car so I can use 230 V powered applications as well. It generates about 80 Watts, which is enough for mobile phones, laptops, video cameras, chargers, etc. I wouldn't recommend to put a water boiler or a microwave on it though

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau