daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #2821
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
@ Firefly: He asked for the alternative route of A38. It is a good alternative if you want to have a relaxed drive on a quiet route and don't mind a few extra kilometers. A7 Kassel - Bad Hersfeld has steep grades with loads of truck traffic for about 60 km, and then another 60 km on A4 with 2x2 lanes and lots of trucks. A4 east of Eisenach is much better though.
No, he asked about his two options. The A 7 between Kirchheim and Kassel isn't part in either case. He can take a southern route via Brussel Köln and Erfurt or the northern one via Antwerpen, Dortmund and Kassel.
To compare the A 38 with the A 4 between Kirchheim and Hermsdorf is simply not the whole truth and doesn't consider the up- and downsides west of the A 7.

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #2822
Endrix

Likes (Received): 0

flierfly you are right about the fact that I need to look at the whole route, but as far as I can see the northern route looks like a more pleasant drive overall, less traffic, less speed limits, better road quality etc. I don't mind the extra kilometers so for me it's not much of a detour. The A40 seems to be jam packed everyday therefore I will take the A2 as Chris suggested.
Thanks to both of you for your help.
Endrix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #2823
shipmand56
David

Likes (Received): 0

Soon to be driving from Amsterdam to Moenchengladbach. Have heard reports that driving in the Ruhr area is horrendous (due to high traffic volumes). Anyone any thoughts. Also planning to visit Wuppertal - is this likely to be a very congested journey from Moenchengladbach. Was also considering driving to Dresden but have just seen that Air Belin fly drom Dussleddorf to Dresden (or what they consider to be Dresden) takes and 1hour ten minutes. Not worth over six hours driving in that case!
shipmand56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #2824
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Actually the Ruhr area is far less congested than say, Randstad, London, Paris or Moscow. I think it's one of the least congested 5 million+ metropolitan areas. Only a few Autobahns in the area are problematic, such as A40 Duisburg - Bochum and where major roadworks are.

A46 runs between Mönchengladbach and Wuppertal and is six lanes from A57 to Wuppertal. Only the section from Wuppertal to A1 is four lanes and can be congested. I don't think it will be a bad route, as you will most likely exit the A46 before it narrows to 4 lanes.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #2825
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

Found this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by picture description
Picture shows the empty eight-lane A3 motorway at the Heumarer Dreieck ("Heumar Triangle") south of Cologne, one of Europe's most frequented roads during Germany's 2010 World Cup semi-final soccer match against Spain July 7, 2010. REUTERS/Wolfgang Rattay
Here you can see the mixed design of a lot of motorway roadways around Cologne. The moste loaded lanes on the right are made out of concrete, the others are made out of asphalt.
ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #2826
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I wouldn't be able to calculate noise emissions from such a road, using professional software. I can input pavement type, but not two different pavements for one road.
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #2827
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I wouldn't be able to calculate noise emissions from such a road, using professional software. I can input pavement type, but not two different pavements for one road.
Interesting thought.

You calculate the noise noise emissions from the outermost lane, so maybe you can use its pavement.
And concrete (under specific circumstances) and normal asphalt have the same influence on the noise emissions from the road.
(This is based on the German guidelines).

Or you just use the pavement which has the worse influence.
ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #2828
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
You could also split the road in 2 (parallel roads): asphalt and concrete.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #2829
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Possible, but how do you divide traffic volumes on an undivided road? 50/50? 40/60?
Old July 10th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #2830
bogdymol
bogdymod

You are a traffic engineer, so you tell me
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #2831
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

You can assume that the left lanes will be used only when a certain percentage of right lanes' maximal throughput is exceeded. Now all you have to do is check how well do Germans stick to "drive right unless overtaking" rule and off you go.

In Poland it would be easier - you could just assume that everyone drive on the leftmost lane and all other lanes are empty ("loser zone")
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #2832
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

The "stay-on-right-unless-overtaking" rule makes sense, unless there is someone in front who wants to pass the trucks (doing 80-90 km/h) with 110 km/h (such drivers are easily spottetd by ther yellow dutch plates ). So everyone who wants to go 130 or more, will line up behind the slow vehicle. This will result in an empty right lane (if there are not so much trucks etc.), all driving 110 on the left lane because they want to overtake the slow truck 1 km ahead.

You can't pass the moving file on the right lane, because that would be illegal overtaking on the right.

For non-limited autobahns with just two lanes per direction I would recommend a minimum speed for the left lane, e. g. you are only allowed to go on the left lane when you can and want to drive at least 130 km/h, for example.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #2833
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqaszar View Post
The "stay-on-right-unless-overtaking" rule makes sense, unless there is someone in front who wants to pass the trucks (doing 80-90 km/h) with 110 km/h (such drivers are easily spottetd by ther yellow dutch plates ). So everyone who wants to go 130 or more, will line up behind the slow vehicle. This will result in an empty right lane (if there are not so much trucks etc.), all driving 110 on the left lane because they want to overtake the slow truck 1 km ahead.

You can't pass the moving file on the right lane, because that would be illegal overtaking on the right.

For non-limited autobahns with just two lanes per direction I would recommend a minimum speed for the left lane, e. g. you are only allowed to go on the left lane when you can and want to drive at least 130 km/h, for example.
I partially agree with your point. However, depending on non-truck traffic, driving at 110 km/h then going to the left lane to yield for cars travelling at 130km/h could mean you will easily approach the truck, then will not get a chance do insert yourself in the fast-flowing flow.

In other word, you get to the truck, and unless you want to tailgate the truck, you will have to slow down to 80km/h (the truck speed) OR speed up to 130 km/h to catch the flow on the left lane. It leave a driver with no option.

It happens in Italy frequently, too. There, you don't have unlimited speed roads, but you do have a lot of hilly-highways in which a line of fast-driving (120-130 km/h) drivers align themselves in the left passing trucks travelling at 90 km/h. Sometimes a nut driver wants to "beef up" his/her performance travelling above the speed limit, and tailgating you so you "move over" to the left lane so he/she can pass. But, depending on traffic, if you do that you will face in a mere second a queue of 120-130 km/h cars that will not give you an opportunity to "join" them, and you will lose time waiting 10/20 cars barely keeping safety distance between themselves pass you, unless you want to dangerously enter that lane and accelerate suddenly to gain speed (a dangerous move by the way).

Interestingly, some drivers react very different based on the car you are driving, even if your behavior is exactly the same. I've noticed that fast drivers in Germany are usually less patient with smaller and compact cars on left lanes, even if they are travelling at decent 120-130 km/h. Same happens in Italy.
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2834
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Does anyone know why the signs going of the German Autobahn (exits) are blue and not yellow, while signs going from a normal road to the Autobahn are blue:

Exit sign. (only the road number is yellow)

Sign to the Autobahn.

I am just asking because in Switzerland the sign has always the color according to the road it is leading to.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #2835
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think because it doesn't really add something (the absence of an interchange symbol, and non-autobahn road number already tell you you're leaving the Autobahn), and the signs are much clearer without many colors. It's actually a system I really like.

Color differentiation on non-motorways is actually a very good habit, to separate motorway, main and local destinations, but it doesn't really add something on motorways themselves.
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #2836
earthJoker
Ölm

Well I think you have to look longer until you see the little road number.
And some interchanges have exits as well.

Old July 14th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #2837
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
Does anyone know why the signs going of the German Autobahn (exits) are blue and not yellow, while signs going from a normal road to the Autobahn are blue:
The background-colour of directional signs derives from the road on which they are mounted. This way a road keeps a uniform colour scheme throughout its entire length.

The only exception are directional signs on motorway junctions on non-motorway roads. They are blue-backed as well to emphasise the importance of the intersecting road and to make it clear that taking these directions gets one straight on a motorway. In contrast to blue panels on yellow- or white-backed signs which leads just indirectly to the motorway.
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #2838
earthJoker
Ölm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
The only exception are directional signs on motorway junctions on non-motorway roads.
Ok so actually this is the exception in the German scheme, and not the blue exits on the Autobahn. I just wondered about the inconsistency.

It's not like it bothers me, I was just curious.

Old July 14th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2839
thun

There's no inconsistency.
The blue entrance signs are there to show clearly that it's a motorway, where some vehicles aren't allowed to enter.
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #2840
earthJoker
Ölm

But the sign itself is not on a motorway:
Quote:
The background-colour of directional signs derives from the road on which they are mounted.
Its an exception, but its a reasonable one.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau