daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:21 PM   #2861
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
These speed limit signes can change in a dinamycal way?
Yes. The Autobahn A2 has it all the way from Bad Oeynhausen to Magdeburg. I kind of like it. A2 has heavy truck traffic. You don't want too much 100 km/h differences between traffic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #2862
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I was checking some not-so-updated (1993) Michelin maps of Germany with smaller than usual scale, and I noticed a lot of areas around Autobahn in ex-East Germany areas marker with "Sperregebiet", in red markings. Few annotations like this exist in West German roads.

What does it mean? Sperrebiet on my German online dictionary yields nothing
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #2863
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A "sperrgebiet" is an area closed for civilians. They are often military bases or excercise areas.
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #2864
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I was checking some not-so-updated (1993) Michelin maps of Germany with smaller than usual scale, and I noticed a lot of areas around Autobahn in ex-East Germany areas marker with "Sperregebiet", in red markings. Few annotations like this exist in West German roads.

What does it mean? Sperrebiet on my German online dictionary yields nothing
"Sperrgebiet" means "closed area" i.e. entry is forbidden for unauthorized people. Usually it is used for military area but can have some other reasons as well, e.g. a nuclear plant.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #2865
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Thank guys, I had misspelled the word thus finding nothing in the dictionary, should have worn my contact lenses before reading a fine print in the map

In The Netherlands I usually spot military areas on Google Maps just by looking the blurred areas, though on Bing! Maps they are all clear with the same neighboring resolution.
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #2866
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Here are some pictures of the A5 between Basel and Karlsruhe. You can find them in a much larger format on my Panoramio page.

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #2867
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interesting development: A22 has been renumbered A20 in plans. It is planned from Bad Segeberg in Schleswig-Holstein to Westerstede in Niedersachsen, providing a large bypass of Hamburg, north and west of the city. It's interesting for regional traffic and through traffic from the Netherlands and points south to Denmark.

If completed, the A20 would be among the longest Autobahnen in Germany at 520 kilometers.
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #2868
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Interesting development: A22 has been renumbered A20 in plans. It is planned from Bad Segeberg in Schleswig-Holstein to Westerstede in Niedersachsen, providing a large bypass of Hamburg, north and west of the city. It's interesting for regional traffic and through traffic from the Netherlands and points south to Denmark.
I've known about that change for some time now, but with another 'missing link' on the map being filled in (Oldenburg-Neumünster), it will also provide a handy connection between those areas and the planned Rødbyhavn-Puttgarden fixed crossing.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:46 PM   #2869
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Hi all,

Been busy, haven't had a chance to post anything here in a couple months, it's good to be back.

Was having a conversation with something recently, and I told them that in 2007, I purchased a UK car and drove it to Norway and back(yes, I had insurance)on my US driver's license(California). He told me that what I did was illegal. I could have rented a car in London and drove it to France, but in no way was I allowed to purchase a British car and drive it to Europe.

I have no idea where else to post this question, so sorry if it's in the wrong area. Anyone know if I was truly in the wrong or does this guy not know what I he's talking about.

If I had been stopped by the police, say in France or The Netherlands, and presented my California license yet with proof that I owned the British car, what would they have possibly done? I am now living in the UK, and have a UK licence, so this wouldn't be an issue for me anymore, but I never gave it any thought until recently!

Thanks for info, I am curious as to whether I broke the law or not! :-) I'll post this question on some of the other motorway threads as well and see what people say.
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #2870
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Likes (Received): 12613

Rusonaldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM   #2871
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Does anyone know when the A20/A22 Passing north of Hamburg will be completed?
Old August 25th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #2872
piotr71

Shall I post a short and little outdated report from A4 around Eisenach? Pics has been taken about one month and half ago.

I have circa 15 more from this section.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #2873
Pfosten

Likes (Received): 0

please post them....
what is hidden by the scripture "waltershausen" on the blue sign???
Pfosten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #2874
-

Indeed post them, pics are always interesting (unless there are several hundreds in one post).
Old August 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #2875
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
Was having a conversation with something recently, and I told them that in 2007, I purchased a UK car and drove it to Norway and back( yes, I had insurance) on my US driver's license (California). He told me that what I did was illegal. I could have rented a car in London and drove it to France, but in no way was I allowed to purchase a British car and drive it to Europe.
He's an idiot. It is perfectly legal to purchase a car in Britain, insure it on a foreign license, and drive it abroad. You just have to make sure you have the appropriate documentation (in the EU, a "green card") to extend insurance coverage abroad, and--where required--carnets and additional insurance for countries further out.

Years ago I purchased a British car, having at the time a British provisional driving licence and a full Kansas driver's license. I insured it on the Kansas license, got a green card, and drove it around Ireland without problems.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #2876
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post
You just have to make sure you have the appropriate documentation (in the EU, a "green card") to extend insurance coverage abroad
I have no idea on how it works in UK, but in Poland the domestic insurance is valid in the whole EU by default and the domestic proof-of-insurance is enough to take your ride abroad. You need to ask for the green card (which is a piece of paper and cost here about 1€) only if you're going outside civiliza... I mean EU
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #2877
Danielk2
DanielKK

Hey. Remeber, PL was once outside of EU. But then you joined and stole our money!
Old August 28th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #2878
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

You should be thankful that we joined and started eating your pork, because otherwise the whole Jylland would be unemployed :P
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #2879
Danielk2
DanielKK

What are you talking about?? You're stealing all the crappy jobs that danes don't want but are forced to do because of the financial crisis!!

Damn Poles and Copenhageners!!

Last edited by Danielk2; August 29th, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Danielk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #2880
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Shouldn't we talk about German Autobahns, here?
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau