daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2010, 12:20 AM   #2901
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 22

Very impressive roads!
IrishMan2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:20 PM   #2902
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falusi View Post
But I don't really understand why 60 km/h is necessary in the outer lane. The other thing is, those holes are built in speed cameras?
You've got a steep descent there. Trucks will need to drive slowly in order not to lose control. So they force trucks into the outer lane and tell them that they should not exceed 60 (in other words: engine brake).

Not sure about the function of the holes.
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:31 PM   #2903
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Engine braking doesn't work very well with trucks. Maybe you've noticed it, trucks are on the brakes all the time, while cars can use their engine brakes downhill.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM   #2904
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Never looked at the way trucks brake, so never noticed.

But I presume that trucks also use a lower gear when they go downhill, and then still have to brake. Or will they only brake? There has to be some rationale behind signs on motorways specifically telling truck drivers to engine brake. Those signs are typically found at the start of downhills for which I, as a car driver, do not need to engine brake at all.
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:40 PM   #2905
Seppl

Likes (Received): 2

[QUOTE=Falusi;64011675]Nice pics.

But I don't really understand why 60 km/h is necessary in the outer lane. The other thing is, those holes are built in speed cameras?

These holes contain speed cameras. You are right.
Seppl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:08 PM   #2906
koloite

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Engine braking doesn't work very well with trucks. Maybe you've noticed it, trucks are on the brakes all the time, while cars can use their engine brakes downhill.
Engine braking works very well on trucks. They even have a dedicated engine brake (exhaust brake), and on most modern trucks this is so effective that the brake lights of the truck is also connected to the engine brake, which in turn explains why you see the brake light of the truck almost all the time.
koloite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:08 PM   #2907
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Also known as retarder:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retarde...engineering%29
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:57 AM   #2908
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by koloite View Post
Engine braking works very well on trucks. They even have a dedicated engine brake and on most modern trucks this is so effective that the brake lights of the truck is also connected to the engine brake, which in turn explains why you see the brake light of the truck almost all the time.
Must be on European trucks only then. Here you know the driver is using it just by the snarling sound the engine makes.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #2909
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A44 Kassel - Eisenach

Another "milestone" for the slow-progressing A44 between Kassel and Eisenach. Construction commenced today on a 4 kilometer section of A44 between Hessisch Lichtenau-Ost and Hasselbach. It features a 1.350 meter long tunnel, and is slated for completion in 2015. It is still intended to open the whole A44 between Kassel and Eisenach no later than 2016.

The A44 will shorten driving times between the Ruhr area, Kassel and all cities along A4 between Eisenach and Dresden. However, priority of this route seems to have fallen with the completion of A38, as most traffic towards northern CZ and southern PL can now use A38, instead of the then-long awaited A44.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #2910
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

what is the best way from München to Kaiserslautern? i'm in doubt is it better to tak A8 all way down to Karlsruhe and then A5 or A65, or is it better to cut somewhere to A6 (A81, A7 or even A9)?
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #2911
piotr71

Quote:
A44 Kassel - Eisenach

Another "milestone" for the slow-progressing A44 between Kassel and Eisenach. Construction commenced today on a 4 kilometer section of A44 between Hessisch Lichtenau-Ost and Hasselbach.(..).
Some time ago, I had a map consisting of that stretch of A44, marked as a motorway under construction with completion date 2008 or so. Driving on A4, probably in 2006, I had decided to short cut my journey, expecting some stretches of A44 being already open to the traffic. I turned off the motorway and....after tens of kilometres of curvy and uncountable number of bends' 1x2 road, I had reached the autobahn at last. I was so happy driving on it, so you can't imagine how disappointed I got when it ended up after 2 kilometres. It was the fiasco.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #2912
thun

@ x-type: It depends on traffic. The A8 can be quite horrible to drive on. From Ulm on A7 and then via Heilbronn (A6) isn't a long detour but with much less traffic it can be the faster route.
Old September 25th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #2913
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've read somewhere traffic on A6 Heidelberg - Nürnberg has exploded in the last few years, and they are even considering widening it to 2x3 lanes. It is the fastest route from Czech Rep. and Poland to Southwestern Europe.
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #2914
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
@ x-type: It depends on traffic. The A8 can be quite horrible to drive on. From Ulm on A7 and then via Heilbronn (A6) isn't a long detour but with much less traffic it can be the faster route.
yeah, that's what i thought. none of these 3 detours aren't much longer (A81 +15 km, A7 +20 km, A9 +40 km). A81 is probabgly also congested, so if i reach Stuttgart on A8, i can continue to Karlsruhe. A9 is also probably congested, so A7 seems the most reasonable (higher traffic there should be north from Würzburg, if i am not wrong). how about Ruhrgebiet if i take A8 to Karlsruhe? A5 or A65?

the worst thing is that i will be at Ring München at monday morning that cannot be good

btw, this will be my first time driving in Germany finally
Old September 25th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #2915
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A81 is an adequate Autobahn between Stuttgart and Heilbronn. It has 2x3 lanes all the way and traffic volumes are not that high that they produce long traffic jams all the time.

I'm not sure about A6 between Heilbronn and Heidelberg though, I heard that section often in traffic reports.

Quote:
btw, this will be my first time driving in Germany finally
What are you gonna visit in Kaiserslautern? Americans?
Old September 25th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #2916
muc

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
what is the best way from München to Kaiserslautern? i'm in doubt is it better to tak A8 all way down to Karlsruhe and then A5 or A65, or is it better to cut somewhere to A6 (A81, A7 or even A9)?
I very often drive between Munich and Mannheim so I know all these options very well. Usually I look up the traffic reports on internet and decide then which way to go.
If there is no traffic jam reported I prefer the A8 over A6 because I think it's a more interesting drive (landscape wise). I find the A6 between Nürnberg and Heilbronn quite boring.
Another advantage of starting on A8 is that you still have the option to branch off on A7 or A81 in case the radio reports traffic jams building further down, while if you start on A9 you're more or less stuck on using A6 all the way through.
muc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #2917
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:

What are you gonna visit in Kaiserslautern? Americans?
lol no (frankly, i had no idea about military base there). i'm going to München and Kaiserslautern to help my boss making some affairs

i think i'll take A8 and if there will be some crap, i can take A7 or A81, just as muc said
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #2918
x-type
con los terroristas

i have just met with my boss and there is a huge possibility of going to Hannover at the end he will be sure tumorrow and there is also possibility of visiting all 3, München, Kaiserslautern and Hannover
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #2919
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice trip though

If you want to avoid the annoying A3 between Nürnberg and Würzburg (2x2 and lots of trucks), you can use A73-A70 via Bamberg to Schweinfurt. The difference is only 2 km and it's both all Autobahn.
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #2920
x-type
con los terroristas

yeah, i thought so already.

btw i prefer going to Kaiserslautern because in that case we would use Tauernautobahn through Austria (i have never been there, i always used Pyhrnautobahn) and i would really like to pass that split part of A8 near Hohenstadt, i adore such things

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau