daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #2941
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

"Woah, dude, they have some serious floods in Plauen!"

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #2942
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

The ultimate plan for the Darmstadt junction, 20km south of Frankfurt, where A5 Frankfurt - Heidelberg - Basel and A67 Mönchhofdreieck (just west of Frankfurt Airport) - Mannheim intersect:

https://darmstadt.more-rubin1.de/anl...g-190&status=1
(look at the pdf "AK DA - Übersichtslageplan").

The A5 that currently has 8 lanes between Frankfurt and Darmstadt will be widened to up to 15 lanes:
- northbound 4-5 lanes A5 Frankfurt + 2 exit lanes to/from A672 Darmstadt
- southbound one carriageway with 3 lanes A67 Mannheim + another carriageway with 2 lanes A5 Heidelberg + 2 lanes A672 Darmstadt + 1 lane A67 Rüsselsheim + another carriageway with a dedicated truck lane.

But note: This is just a mid to long term plan.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #2943
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Interesting plans. I notice there will be a LKW (truck) lane. Those are pretty rare in Europe.

I assume capacity itself is not the biggest problem (traffic volume 2005: 120.000 vpd), but the weaving. Traffic from both A5 and A67 want to use the A672 into the city. Darmstadt is a city of 143.000 inhabitants, but is basically only served by A672. The A672 is not much more than a big exit from A5 and A67 into Darmstadt. It is only 2 km long.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #2944
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

You're right.

In Germany, the only truck lane as part of a junction currently is at Hattenbacher Dreieck A5/A7 southbound (relation Kassel -> Frankfurt). A few kilometers north, at Kirchheimer Dreieck A4/A7 there is one planned (relation Erfurt -> Frankfurt), which will also carry the traffic from direction Erfurt to exit Kirchheim.
Kindinger Berg (A9 München -> Nürnberg) also has a separated truck lane, but it doesn't belong to a junction.
Old October 10th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #2945
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

As far as i know these are never exclusive truck lanes, it's just that other lanes are closed to truck traffic.

In Baden-Württemberg official planning papers, all Autobahn sections with an overtake probition for trucks are separated into a "LKW-Spur" and "PKW-Spuren" - and there's plenty of those, at least a couple km on every single Autobahn running through the state. The purpose of this differentiation lays in the much higher maintenance cost of the "LKW-Spur", as well as of course planning regarding width of lanes (a PKW-Spur doesn't need to be 3.25m or 3.75m wide...).
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #2946
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

You misunderstood something. What you mentioned is just an "LKW-Überholverbot" (no-passing for trucks), which can be found quite often. But we were talking about Truck lanes that are installed on dedicated carriageways separated from the other lanes, especially in junctions. You won't find many of these.

Last edited by Rohne; October 12th, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #2947
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato2k8 View Post
The purpose of this differentiation lays in the much higher maintenance cost of the "LKW-Spur", as well as of course planning regarding width of lanes (a PKW-Spur doesn't need to be 3.25m or 3.75m wide...).
A recent trend is to make asphalt motorways with concrete on the right lanes, with just a single layer asphalt on top, to reduce wear and tear. I believe they did this on A3 near Köln.

PKW-spuren need to be wide, because traffic flows with a so-called "sine wave" (meaning a car does not drive exactly in the same path all the time, it deviates left and right due to winds, alignment and the driver not paying attention). The higher the speeds, the bigger the sine wave is, thus requiring much wider lanes than the width of the design vehicle.
Old October 14th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #2948
Kreicherisch

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
The restriction is primarily in place to prevent trucks from overtaking other trucks. The difference in speed is often so small that it takes ages before the overtaking action is complete, blocking faster traffic and causing jams. This is referred to as an "elephant race".
Having driven on I-5 in the California Central Valley, I know exactly how it feels like. But I'm okay.
Kreicherisch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #2949
ChrisZwolle
Road user

http://www.rp-online.de/niederrheins...id_918560.html

Construction of the A61 extension near Venlo has begun. At the same time, we're still awaiting construction to commence in the Netherlands (A74).
Old October 16th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #2950
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
But we were talking about Truck lanes that are installed on dedicated carriageways separated from the other lanes, especially in junctions.
Pure truck lanes do not exist in Germany. There is no way to signal such a lane available through the StVO. When a lane is marked as "LKW-Spur" (e.g. at Elzer Berg) it's simply that all other lanes get a #253 sign (no trucks), but that one lane is still open to vehicles other than trucks.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #2951
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's right.

Old October 16th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #2952
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Quote:
Pure truck lanes do not exist in Germany.
Of course they exist. ChrisZwolle showed the signage short before such a section. The truck lane has a dedicated carriageway that was built a few years ago separated from all other lanes. Another one is planned 2km north at Kirchheimer Dreieck. Truck lane doesn't necessarily mean Truck-only lane.
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #2953
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1183

Yet he still proves his point on pure truck lanes not existing
I just wanted to compliment German Autobahns as the best roads in the world. Seriously, I've been to some countries but nothing compares to what the Germans have achieved.
/bow
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #2954
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The widening of A8 Rosenheim - Salzburg may be sped up. News reports say the priority status has changed from "weiterer bedarf" to "vordringlicher bedarf", and construction could commence in 2016.

Because we are talking about a motorway that was constructed in the 1930's, it basically means a total reconstruction, partially across new alignments, which may push the price over € 1 billion total.
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #2955
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Pure truck lanes do not exist in Germany. There is no way to signal such a lane available through the StVO. When a lane is marked as "LKW-Spur" (e.g. at Elzer Berg) it's simply that all other lanes get a #253 sign (no trucks), but that one lane is still open to vehicles other than trucks.
I guess if they'd really want a LKW-only lane, it would be possible by using a plain white sign with a red edge. Like this.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #2956
thun

Yes. That would be a way. Or simply creating a new sign, which isn't that hard to implement.
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #2957
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
I just wanted to compliment German Autobahns as the best roads in the world. Seriously, I've been to some countries but nothing compares to what the Germans have achieved.
/bow
frankly, i really don't know why do you think in that way. except perfect speed limit system (no, i don't mean the recomended speed thing, i mean on situation where each speed limit is placed with reason) and almost perfect direction signalization, i don't see anything the best there
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:19 PM   #2958
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

Pictures of A30 construction:

All images:
http://picasaweb.google.com/BABRob/A3023102010

Up-to-date map:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52...om=13&layers=M
ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:38 PM   #2959
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

When are they going to be finished there? I used to tank in Bad Oeynhausen. Which reminds me, the german gasoline seems to be better than the dutch one. At leasts it makes more kms... .
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:51 PM   #2960
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
When are they going to be finished there?
2013/14
Depends on the winter 2013/14
ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau