daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #3061
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by muc View Post
The speed in tunnels is usually limited to 100km/h or 80km/h.
Or 120 km/h - Engelberg Tunnel near Stuttgart, 3x3 Autobahn, branching into 4x4 near northern exit for the next off/onramp coming directly after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There is a large number of US Air Force and US Army facilities in the area including various air bases and the Landstuhl Army Medical Center.
Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler (near Bonn) is on the other side of the Eifel from Landstuhl (which is next to Kaiserslautern). There were no US bases north of the Eifel, that was mostly British zone.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #3062
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Dreieck Spreewald (A13/A15) in the east of Germany. This is one of the largest trumpet interchanges I know of in Germany, the diameter of the loop is more than 480 meters, while it is usually not much more than 200 - 300 m.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #3063
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

[QUOTE=ChrisZwolle;69686251]Dreieck Spreewald (A13/A15) in the east of Germany. This is one of the largest trumpet interchanges I know of in Germany, the diameter of the loop is more than 480 meters, while it is usually not much more than 200 - 300 m.

Thanks for the nice picture. Anyway, the Dreieck Spreewald was (as my experience) the last repaired section between Dresden and Berliner Ring (A13) The current widening of the A13 close to the border Saxonia/Brandenburg is another issue. The fact is the the relation from DD (A13) in the direction Berliner Ring (A13) is a bit discomfortable (speed-reduction....)...
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #3064
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Found this picture of A3 at Swedish wikipedia.

Does anyone know the location? Looks pretty steep for a motorway

Last edited by metasmurf; December 29th, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #3065
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's the HSR between Köln and Frankfurt am Main. I don't know the exact location, but it may be in the Limburg an der Lahn area.

The A3 has lots of steep grades, because it runs parallel to the Rhein River, and crosses all river valleys that descent towards the Rhein (Rhine).
Old December 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #3066
DSzumaher
Infra's user

Likes (Received): 9722

Here, between (35) Neustadt and (34) Bad Honnef / Linz, which is near Rhineland-Palatinate / North Rhine-Westphalia border.

Last edited by DSzumaher; December 29th, 2010 at 03:43 PM.
DSzumaher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #3067
Moravian

Quote:
That's the HSR between Köln and Frankfurt am Main. I don't know the exact location, but it may be in the Limburg an der Lahn area.

The A3 has lots of steep grades, because it runs parallel to the Rhein River, and crosses all river valleys that descent towards the Rhein (Rhine).
Well that "switch-back-profile" of the A3 (expect of the traffic jams...) could be the reason that some drivers could consider to choose the A61 (so called left-bank-Rhine-motorway) as the alternative route.

The "mountain" profile of the A3 can be compared with the A4.be in Ardennes, A7.de in Kasseler Berge or A5.de in Nord-Hessen....

High-speed-railroad Cologne-Frankfurt runs much more via bridges (sure the motorway-bridge at Limburg is something special...) and tunnels there...
Old December 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #3068
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
Well that "switch-back-profile" of the A3 (expect of the traffic jams...) could be the reason that some drivers could consider to choose the A61 (so called left-bank-Rhine-motorway) as the alternative route.
As far as I know from travel discussions most Dutch actually prefer A3 because it has 6 lanes all the way from Oberhausen to Frankfurt, and traffic volumes are not much higher than A61, which has 4 lanes and is lined with 120 km/h speed limits.
Old December 29th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #3069
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
As far as I know from travel discussions most Dutch actually prefer A3 because it has 6 lanes all the way from Oberhausen to Frankfurt, and traffic volumes are not much higher than A61, which has 4 lanes and is lined with 120 km/h speed limits.
I actually prefer the A61 over the A3 as traffic on A3 is so much worse, on A61 there's hardly any rush hour so no matter what time of the day you are driving there it's more relaxing than the A3. The speed limit on the A61 is mostly 130 km/h but it has some delimited stretches.

I've driven to Switzerland from Amsterdam many times using both the A3 and the A61, on average the A61 is about 20-30 minutes faster on the whole journey.
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #3070
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Dreieck Spreewald (A13/A15) in the east of Germany. This is one of the largest trumpet interchanges I know of in Germany, the diameter of the loop is more than 480 meters, while it is usually not much more than 200 - 300 m.

In this photo there is a treeless line with the ground showing evidence of past occupation, as far as a a line of trees int he left of the photo.

Do you know what was there before?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #3071
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
In this photo there is a treeless line with the ground showing evidence of past occupation, as far as a a line of trees int he left of the photo.

The same thing that is still there and visible in the photo: high-voltage power lines. Two towers are clearly visible inside the loop and a third is clearly visible in the foreground. They are more difficult to see farther from the camera.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #3072
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
I actually prefer the A61 over the A3 as traffic on A3 is so much worse, on A61 there's hardly any rush hour so no matter what time of the day you are driving there it's more relaxing than the A3. The speed limit on the A61 is mostly 130 km/h but it has some delimited stretches.

I've driven to Switzerland from Amsterdam many times using both the A3 and the A61, on average the A61 is about 20-30 minutes faster on the whole journey.
Rush hour is worse on A3 indeed. Especially with the large number of highly antiquated interchanges along A3. (cloverleafs with single-lane connectors on motorways where all branches have 100.000+ vehicles per day simply don't work)

However, outside rush hour I'm not so sure, unless they recently posted many truck passing bans along A61. That motorway is notorious for the annoying amount of trucks. On A3 you have generally 2 lanes to bypass the truck convoys.
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #3073
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
The same thing that is still there and visible in the photo: high-voltage power lines. Two towers are clearly visible inside the loop and a third is clearly visible in the foreground. They are more difficult to see farther from the camera.
Ah yes, thank you, I didn't notice them
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #3074
Moravian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Yes, the fact is that there is a quite large hig-voltage transformer station visible directly from the motorway (in the direction Berlin)....
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #3075
Moravian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post

It depends, certainly, I wanted to stress that at least for some drivers (from NL as well) might be and A61 is the alternative route. For the motorway-relation from the Czech Republic/Austria the whole A3 should be considered - traffic jam, the current widening efforts at the section Wuerzburg, Spessart etc...The alternatives routes - for this case - are A4.de via Erfurt (the relation CZ-NL) or A6+A61. Sure, A61 or A6 are definitely no "mountains" motorways (A61 is not so called the RAB - 70 years old). But the distance (A6+A61) there is significantly higher and - no doubts about that - A6/E50 is no empty motorway....
A61 will be a bit more attracting for NL once the bypass of Venlo will be completed. And more - A61 runs outside the Koelner Ring.
The worst section of the A61 - in my point of view - is the last section at Hockenheimring - concerning the surface....
I would also prefer A61 for the route from Switzerland...
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #3076
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
However, outside rush hour I'm not so sure, unless they recently posted many truck passing bans along A61. That motorway is notorious for the annoying amount of trucks. On A3 you have generally 2 lanes to bypass the truck convoys.
I don't care whether the trucks are passing or not. The fact that the right-hand lane is full of trucks means that the passing lane is full with the rest of the world. And that rest of the world includes people who want to drive at 100 km/h and people looking at more like 140+. Only when driving at night or during the weekend can the A61 be a nice drive.

That being said, if you have to choose between rush hour on the A3 between Köln and Oberhausen, and the annoyances of the A61, the A61 might win it. But the A3 is definitely my first choice on my way from the Netherlands to the South of Germany.
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #3077
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
It depends, certainly, I wanted to stress that at least for some drivers (from NL as well) might be and A61 is the alternative route. For the motorway-relation from the Czech Republic/Austria the whole A3 should be considered - traffic jam, the current widening efforts at the section Wuerzburg, Spessart etc...The alternatives routes - for this case - are A4.de via Erfurt (the relation CZ-NL) or A6+A61.
For eastern Netherlands towards Würzburg or further I tend to use A44-A7 via Kassel. A very quiet route, not much truck traffic (except Kassel - Bad Hersfeld) and some 3-lane sections. However, they will widen A44 between Dortmund and Werl to 2x3 lanes (2014-2017), which will generate extreme congestion, but it can be bypassed using B63 and A2.

Quote:
A6/E50 is no empty motorway....
I've read traffic volumes on A6 between Nürnberg and Heilbronn increased significantly. It is the fastest route from Poland and the Czech Republic to France.

Quote:
A61 will be a bit more attracting for NL once the bypass of Venlo will be completed.
The A74 around Venlo should be opened in 2012.
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #3078
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
wow, it's really large! i'm comparing it with largest trumpet in HR (exit Okučani at A3) which is cca 260 m. do you maybe know the speed limit in the loop?
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #3079
Moravian

Quote:
For eastern Netherlands towards Würzburg or further I tend to use A44-A7 via Kassel. A very quiet route, not much truck traffic (except Kassel - Bad Hersfeld) and some 3-lane sections. However, they will widen A44 between Dortmund and Werl to 2x3 lanes (2014-2017), which will generate extreme congestion, but it can be bypassed using B63 and A2.

I've read traffic volumes on A6 between Nürnberg and Heilbronn increased significantly. It is the fastest route from Poland and the Czech Republic to France.

The A74 around Venlo should be opened in 2012.
Thank you for the updated information concerning Venlo. The A45 (+A3) could be considered as the alternative route as well. Drivers could enjoy forests, valleys and many bridges there....But I have already mentioned the current troubles of the A3 in section "Spessart" (mountains, widening efforts..).

Maybe, let me mention one more route Nederlands-Central Europe - A30-A2-Hannover-Magdeburg-A14-A4-Dresden-A17-CZ-Prague. At least, it is almost direct connection Amsterdam-Prague and there are (almost) lowlands on that way. The bypass at Bad Oeynhsn is going to be completed, no need to cross Rhein-Ruhr-cities....The trouble could be the traffic on A2 and the missing section of the D8 in CZ (Usti nad Labem - Lovosice).
As for A6 - the volumes has increased significantly. Nowadays the motorways connection between Prague and Nuernberg is definitely completed. The bottleneck has been the 2+2 sections between NU and Heilbronn (2+2 is just o.k for the section NU-Amberg-Pilsen/CZ). I would highlight this obstackle at Nuernberg. The A6 is also very important motorway connection between Bavaria and Baden-W (Nuernberg-Stuttgart/Mannheim etc.) with plenty of industrial zones....
Old December 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #3080
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post

Those treeless lines can be seen anywhere, browsing Gmaps, and they've been a giant doubt for me for a long time.

I thought they might have been safety measures against fires, but there are some even in areas with just a few trees (like in the picture).

Only recently, thanks to Street View, I discovered their real purpose

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau