daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #3281
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Thanks muc. I'm not sure but I think that the ramp from Deggendorf to Nürnberg has been also recently changed. I drove there yesterday again but I didn't have the chance to look carefully. It seems to me that the ramp entrance has been moved few hundreds of meters ahead. Can you confirm this?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #3282
mapman:cz
Ministerskı rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Thanks muc. I'm not sure but I think that the ramp from Deggendorf to Nürnberg has been also recently changed. I drove there yesterday again but I didn't have the chance to look carefully. It seems to me that the ramp entrance has been moved few hundreds of meters ahead. Can you confirm this?
It has been rerouted already a few months ago, if you mean the ramp on the right side of this photo, compared to the one closed: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/49093517
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #3283
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Is there a specific purpose to the curbs on the Autobahn? And why is it there on some sections and not others?
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #3284
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Is there a specific purpose to the curbs on the Autobahn? And why is it there on some sections and not others?
Kerbs are placed where surface water cannot or must not trickle into the soil beside the carriageway.
Old June 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #3285
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Kerbs are placed where surface water cannot or must not trickle into the soil beside the carriageway.
Does that affect the drainage capabilities? It seems like water would stay on the roadway around the curbs.
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #3286
HAWC1506

Alright, I would like a debate:

Which do you prefer and why: Parallel merge/diverge slip roads or tapered merge/diverge slip roads?

I'm going to post the same question in the U.S. Interstates thread to compare responses. Feel free to discuss in both threads.
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #3287
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I don't know if it has been said in the thread but they're reconstructing part (or all) of the Kreuz Neufahrn interchange between A9 and A92... I passed there yesterday on my way to the airport, and I saw signs stating that the reconstruction will be complete by December 2011.
You can see on Openstreetmap what they are doing: Kreuz Neufarhn

I think the use of a semi-directional ramp to replace a loop is quite a common way of upgrading a cloverleaf (is there a name for it?) but I haven't seen one of the right-hand movements (or left-hand, in countries that drive on the left) rebuilt like this, but it is a rather odd ramp as it curves in the middle round the loop, rather than just at each end. There's also some nice braiding being added too.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #3288
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Some pictures of German autobahns which I took 2 months ago when I went to Essen for a short trip -

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #3289
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

At the picture no. 2 can be seen, that the right viaduct (in direction Hamburg) had carried the entire Autobahn before widening. The left viaduct has been built when the Autobahn was widened from 2+2 to 3+3.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #3290
muc

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Alright, I would like a debate:

Which do you prefer and why: Parallel merge/diverge slip roads or tapered merge/diverge slip roads?

I'm going to post the same question in the U.S. Interstates thread to compare responses. Feel free to discuss in both threads.
I guess many people here don't even know what is a tapered slip road. At least I didn't know before looking into the US thread.

I prefer parallel acceleration/deceleration lanes by far. They allow you to match your speed with the traffic on the right lane of the highway before merging and to slow down before you enter the off-ramp. So I think they are much safer especially where high speeds are allowed.
I don't think you'll find tapered slip roads on modern Autobahns.
muc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #3291
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
You can see on Openstreetmap what they are doing: Kreuz Neufarhn
I do not understand what is the purpose of the lane in construction connecting directly Eching Ost exit with the Kreuz...
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #3292
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

The purpose is to avoid conflicts between the Eching->A92(West) flux and A92(East)->A9(South) flux. Eching Ost is too close to che Kreuz, you would have a very short distance for lane choice (for German standards, of course).

You build an overpass to reduce the need of changing lanes, in major junctions it is a good practice.
The same reason why they're upgrading all major cloverleaf. The aim is to have only bifurcations where you choose your destination, and then you never cross any other path until you merge on the last road.

Best example is the famous Frankfurter Kreux:
http://goo.gl/maps/Pks0

You can see that all the interchange arms overpass the others: if you look closely, following a direction from one road to the last one, you'll have almost no need to change lane.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; June 13th, 2011 at 11:21 PM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #3293
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Thanks!
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #3294
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Can someone explain to me what do blue signs with U## mean? These ones:

Old June 16th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #3295
Wilhem275
The Transporter

They are detours, each with its own number. If I remember correctly, the U stands for Umstieg/Umstiegen.

Pretty useful to have a route number also for detours!

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #3296
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Do you mean detour as in roadworks? I don't think so, because they are permanent and very common.
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #3297
Christophorus

Likes (Received): 87

U=Umleitung=detour

very useful in case of traffic jams. Just follow the U signage and you will get back to the Autobahn.
Christophorus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #3298
bozata90

Likes (Received): 50

No, these detours (Umleitungen) are pre-created. The idea is that when there is a congestion on your way and you know where approximately, you will have the opportunity to exit the motorway before the queue starts. Then, you just have to follow the "U" signs with the number posted at the Ausfahrt, where you have left the autobahn. These signs will lead you to the next exit in your direction, where, supposedly, there will be no queue.
bozata90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #3299
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Supposedly indeed. Most of the time, the U-route cannot handle the load of the motorists that exit the Autobahn in an attempt to bypass the queue. But if a motorway really gets blocked, there is use in the U-numbers. For the motorists and for the road authorities, that do not need to take any step at that stage to guide the motorist over the deviation.
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #3300
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophorus View Post
U=Umleitung=detour
Thanks Umstieg is most used in railways.

As I use to say, I don't speak German, I only speak Eisenbahndeutsch

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau