daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #3321
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
The arms race of motorway distances?

Still we beat Berlin by 2km
Germany's autobahn network has a total length of about 12,800 km, or 7,950 miles (in 2010), which ranks as the third-longest in the world behind the Interstate Highway System of the United States and the National Trunk Highway System (NTHS) of the People's Republic of China.

The last new motorway in the United Kingdom (The M3 motorway in Northern Ireland) opened in 1994.[93] In 1996 the total length of motorways reached 2,000 miles (3,200 km).

Also, if we speak about maximum allowed speeds, the ones in the UK are ridiculous. Plus tolls.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #3322
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

There is 12 912 kilometers of Autobahn and 2 300 kilometer of Autobahnähnliche Straßen (motorway-like roads), bringing the total to 15 212 kilometers of motorway(like) roads. However, the design standards of the Autobahnähnliche Straße varies, some are just as well-designed as motorways with no speed limits, others are narrow and lack shoulders and decent junctions.

By the way, there have been several motorway openings in the United Kingdom since 1994, even as recent as 2011. However, apart from a 1991 spike, the motorway network of the United Kingdom has grown only sporadically since 1986. (25 years ago).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #3323
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I quoted from wiki, I'm sure it's not 100% correct, but the differences are so big, that it doesn't matter
But thanks for the exact info.

Last edited by cinxxx; June 20th, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old June 20th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #3324
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Germany's autobahn network has a total length of about 12,800 km, or 7,950 miles (in 2010), which ranks as the third-longest in the world behind the Interstate Highway System of the United States and the National Trunk Highway System (NTHS) of the People's Republic of China.

The last new motorway in the United Kingdom (The M3 motorway in Northern Ireland) opened in 1994.[93] In 1996 the total length of motorways reached 2,000 miles (3,200 km).

Also, if we speak about maximum allowed speeds, the ones in the UK are ridiculous. Plus tolls.
Tolls? In the UK? There are very few, aren't there?

(And Temeschburg = Timisoara?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #3325
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Tolls? In the UK? There are very few, aren't there?

(And Temeschburg = Timisoara?)
OK, maybe I'm wrong about tolls, I know there are some.

(Yes, Temeschburg = Timisoara.
I'm German ethnic, so I use the German name .

In fact, Timișoara, German: Temeschburg, also Temeswar or Temeschwar, Hungarian: Temesvár, Serbian: Темишвар/Temišvar, Turkish: Temeşvar), is a city in the Banat region of western Romania. It is the capital of Timiș County)
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #3326
sotonsi

Tolls on the UK Motorway network are confined to the M6 Toll bypass route (which is a wholly new motorway that opened in 2003 - not an extension or anything - the last of which was in February and the next of which is before the end of the month) and the Severn Bridges. The Dartford crossing is also tolled (as an ironic congestion charge - it's paying the charge that causes the congestion!), as are the Mersey Tunnels and Humber Bridge.

Basically, other than the M6 Toll and a couple of minor private roads, the only tolls are at river/estuary crossings and most are small fees for small bridges on minor roads. When it comes to major roads, it is just the 6 longest estuarine crossings in the country that are tolled (since Scotland abolished tolls) and the M6 Toll, which has a free alternative that's shorter.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:15 AM   #3327
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Yeah, theres only one proper toll motorway in the UK and it's quite short and is a bypass of another motorway (M6 Toll and M6), the only other tolls on the motorway network are the Seven Bridges. As sotonsi says there are other bridges and tunnels, but most bridges and tunnels are toll free.

The Dartford Crossing really could be considered to be part of the motorway network I guess
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:47 AM   #3328
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Tolls on the UK Motorway network are confined to the M6 Toll bypass route (which is a wholly new motorway that opened in 2003 - not an extension or anything - the last of which was in February and the next of which is before the end of the month) and the Severn Bridges. The Dartford crossing is also tolled (as an ironic congestion charge - it's paying the charge that causes the congestion!), as are the Mersey Tunnels and Humber Bridge.

Basically, other than the M6 Toll and a couple of minor private roads, the only tolls are at river/estuary crossings and most are small fees for small bridges on minor roads. When it comes to major roads, it is just the 6 longest estuarine crossings in the country that are tolled (since Scotland abolished tolls) and the M6 Toll, which has a free alternative that's shorter.
What are you referring to in the bit I bolded? Think I'm missing something.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:31 AM   #3329
sotonsi

Extensions of motorways - in February the M80 was extended to the M73 (the offline section of plugging the gap that will be finished in September) and the M74 extension is going to open this month.

I was looking at this point, expanding a bit on ChrisZ's brief mention of motorway openings as recently as 2007:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
The last new motorway in the United Kingdom (The M3 motorway in Northern Ireland) opened in 1994.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:28 PM   #3330
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff_VQ1y_99s

Mitteler Ring in Munich :Section South-West-Tunnel Luise Kieslbach Platz Under Construction
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:35 PM   #3331
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Good video! Right now accessing the A95 to Garmisch is quite nightmarish, works are huge and in the middle of the city. I was thinking about buying a house in that spot now, with lower prices due to the works, and then sell it when the works will be complete.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #3332
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Good video! Right now accessing the A95 to Garmisch is quite nightmarish, works are huge and in the middle of the city. I was thinking about buying a house in that spot now, with lower prices due to the works, and then sell it when the works will be complete.
It's not that bad, if you're coming from Nurnberg, using the Innsbrucker Ring is very do-able, and these roadworks as posted above is only a short stretch around a petrol station. You can avoid them by getting on the A99 towards Stuttgart, and come off the first junction after the tunnel. This will get you back onto the inner ringroad, with not far to go to the A95...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #3333
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Tell the driver to get out of the damn left lane, from time to time... I can hear the poor driver of the C Class mention any known curse at 0:45...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #3334
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It's not that bad, if you're coming from Nurnberg, using the Innsbrucker Ring is very do-able, and these roadworks as posted above is only a short stretch around a petrol station. You can avoid them by getting on the A99 towards Stuttgart, and come off the first junction after the tunnel. This will get you back onto the inner ringroad, with not far to go to the A95...
You're absolutely right, I've done that sometimes. But coming from my home, near the end of the A9, it's shorter to take the Mittlerer Ring... and going through all the roadworks..
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #3335
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
You're absolutely right, I've done that sometimes. But coming from my home, near the end of the A9, it's shorter to take the Mittlerer Ring... and going through all the roadworks..
What's the A99 Ostumfahrung like at the moment going northbound? Are there still speedrestrictions due to poor surface conditions? I'm due to be on it at 18:00 tomorrow - rushourtime - but may opt go get off at Bad Ailbing instead and take the shortcut through Ebersberg and Markt Schwaben....
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #3336
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I never noticed speed limits on the Ostumfahrung, I mean, I always drive at 130 but I'm being constantly passed by 4-wheeled rockets ... I think you still may want to drive through A99, at least until they complete the A93.

EDIT: At the same time (18.00) I will be on my way to Italy, so possibly I'm driving there on the opposite direction... but then again, I could drive on the A95 to Garmisch, which is usually less congested than A8 southbound, especially on Fridays...

Last edited by g.spinoza; June 24th, 2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #3337
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
I never noticed speed limits on the Ostumfahrung, I mean, I always drive at 130 but I'm being constantly passed by 4-wheeled rockets ... I think you still may want to drive through A99, at least until they complete the A93.

EDIT: At the same time (18.00) I will be on my way to Italy, so possibly I'm driving there on the opposite direction... but then again, I could drive on the A95 to Garmisch, which is usually less congested than A8 southbound, especially on Fridays...
You live on the bottom of the A9, so you won't have to touch it. You may have a little delay on that steep bendy bit of the A8 at Irschenberg - but we're not in the winter season, you should be ok... And the A12 in Tirol should be a doddle. Stay tuned to Bayern 3, and after Rosenheim tune into OE3, and they keep you updated all the way to Bozen.

Look out for a red Honda CVX with Austrian plates, area code SZ and flash me ;-) - I'm doing a private run to the airport tomorrow....
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #3338
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 395

Are there any maps of German network that include planned new motorway connections?
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #3339
Christophorus

Likes (Received): 87

take yourself some time

http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/index_e.html
Christophorus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #3340
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

An Italian politician, Francesco Speroni (Northern League, former Minister for Institutional Reforms and currently a delegate at European Parliament) posted on his youtube account a video documenting him traveling at 316 km/h on a German no-speed-limited Autobahn. While there's technically nothing wrong with this, some discussions are ongoing in Italy about the political advisability of this deed.

http://tv.repubblica.it/copertina/sp...mh/71586?video

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau