daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #3341
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

If it's legal, it's legal. Period. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #3342
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

I'm sure the police can still arrest you for reckless driving though.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #3343
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
If it's legal, it's legal. Period. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.
It's not so simple. You are a politician, you're supposed to represent the Italian republic, yet you brag about going abroad to do something that's illegal in Italy. I don't think this is something I want in a politician.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #3344
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

what car that is?
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #3345
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
what car that is?
Nissan GT-R.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #3346
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Even though on a lot of stretches there are no speed limits (legally) - if you break the advisory speed limit of 130 and you get involved in an accident, you can still get done by the police for speeding...

It's a technicality....
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #3347
thun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Of course they can. If you endanger other people.
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #3348
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Even though on a lot of stretches there are no speed limits (legally) - if you break the advisory speed limit of 130 and you get involved in an accident, you can still get done by the police for speeding...
That's not exactly about speeding, but rather about distribution of guilt in case of an accident. Having driven over 130km/h and involved in an accident, you generally are assigned a share of guilt even if no "real" errors whatsoever of your part led to the accident.
This share of guilt can be dismissed if the driver proves that the accident would also have occured if he had driven at 130km/h or less.

Quote:
Of course they can. If you endanger other people.
Yes, but this of course is nearly independent of the speed you are driving. At 316km/h, you can be perfectly fine, while it is possible to have the license revoked at 80km/h if the driving style involves e.g. heavy tailgating (which can be considered coercion, a criminal offence).

Driving at high speed -on non-limited stretches- never per se triggers a fine. Police are not entitled to "judge" a certain speed as "not reasonable".
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:45 AM   #3349
DSzumaher
Infra's user

Likes (Received): 9722

Vids from former GDR again.

DSzumaher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:44 PM   #3350
thun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
That's not exactly about speeding, but rather about distribution of guilt in case of an accident. Having driven over 130km/h and involved in an accident, you generally are assigned a share of guilt even if no "real" errors whatsoever of your part led to the accident.
This share of guilt can be dismissed if the driver proves that the accident would also have occured if he had driven at 130km/h or less.

Yes, but this of course is nearly independent of the speed you are driving. At 316km/h, you can be perfectly fine, while it is possible to have the license revoked at 80km/h if the driving style involves e.g. heavy tailgating (which can be considered coercion, a criminal offence).

Driving at high speed -on non-limited stretches- never per se triggers a fine. Police are not entitled to "judge" a certain speed as "not reasonable".
True, but you'll hardly manage to get out of trouble if they catch you doing 300kph, would you?
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:14 PM   #3351
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
True, but you'll hardly manage to get out of trouble if they catch you doing 300kph, would you?
Negative. No limit means there's no limit so you are allowed to drive 300 km/h. As far as you don't have an accident, you won't get any problem.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:33 PM   #3352
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Negative. No limit means there's no limit so you are allowed to drive 300 km/h. As far as you don't have an accident, you won't get any problem.
Yes, but at 300 km/h you are more likely to have an accident. They will keep that in mind when they prosecute...
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:47 PM   #3353
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

some street scenes from Berlin. Paris can suck it.

hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:05 PM   #3354
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Yes, but at 300 km/h you are more likely to have an accident. They will keep that in mind when they prosecute...
Well, I suppose if you end up driving into someone else....

But if you get to your destination in perfect safety, there is no problem.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:15 PM   #3355
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSzumaher View Post
Vids from former GDR again.

Man, that part in the construction zone (with the double-yellow center line) would make an incredibly, FIENDISHLY difficult 'guess the highway' entry - some of it looks like it could be in various parts of the USA!

And that last part in Brandenburg, that's the road's original late 1930s (75 or so years old) concrete still in use.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:53 AM   #3356
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Well, I suppose if you end up driving into someone else....

But if you get to your destination in perfect safety, there is no problem.
No, 300 km/h are nowhere near safe, let alone perfect safe. Everyone is obliged of deference to any other road user. 300 km/h, however, are simply reckless.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:06 PM   #3357
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

You guys should add a graphic in your videos indicating when you enter the no speed limit areas and put a heads up display graphic of your speed.
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:21 PM   #3358
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

I drove the entire A94 today... or better, the two small and unconnected pieces of it. Perhaps you know that, but there are works going on to complete it. According to the signs I saw there, the first stretch of 6 km from Forstinning will be ready in December 2011. In fact works for that stretch are complete, they just have to lay down asphalt, put signs and stuff. The other stretch they are working on, 4 km in Ampfing, is due in December 2012, and in fact there is still much to do there.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:55 PM   #3359
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
On a non-limited stretch, they don't "catch" anyone for speeding and there are no speed-measuring devices installed. So again, for just doing 300km/h on an unlimited stretch, no threat of legal trouble is given.
If an accident occurs, the pre-accident speed of those involved is of course investigated. A driver crashing into a lane-changing truck at 300km/h will be assigned an important share of guilt even if the truck driver not looking into the mirror caused the accident (all drivers entering German autobahns know about the absence of general speed limit, so everyone is obliged to watch out for vehicles arriving at elevated speed).

Quote:
No, 300 km/h are nowhere near safe, let alone perfect safe. Everyone is obliged of deference to any other road user. 300 km/h, however, are simply reckless.
On a road stretch of appropriate quality, and with a vehicle constructed and properly equipped and maintained for these speeds as well as an accordingly skilled driver and the other necessary conditions given (weather, absence of traffic, visibility, ...) it is not reckless.
The average traffic flow, though, generally does not allow such speeds over an extended distance.
Many vehicle makers electronically limit top speed to 250km/h as a form of "gentleman's agreement".
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #3360
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
On a non-limited stretch, they don't "catch" anyone for speeding and there are no speed-measuring devices installed. So again, for just doing 300km/h on an unlimited stretch, no threat of legal trouble is given.
If an accident occurs, the pre-accident speed of those involved is of course investigated. A driver crashing into a lane-changing truck at 300km/h will be assigned an important share of guilt even if the truck driver not looking into the mirror caused the accident (all drivers entering German autobahns know about the absence of general speed limit, so everyone is obliged to watch out for vehicles arriving at elevated speed).

On a road stretch of appropriate quality, and with a vehicle constructed and properly equipped and maintained for these speeds as well as an accordingly skilled driver and the other necessary conditions given (weather, absence of traffic, visibility, ...) it is not reckless.
The average traffic flow, though, generally does not allow such speeds over an extended distance.
Many vehicle makers electronically limit top speed to 250km/h as a form of "gentleman's agreement".
Even though the official advisory limit is 130? Mind you, I drive faster then 130 in Germany. My 3.5 ton Sprinter van does 190. In France I got pulled up once just outside Tours. I was doing 135 odd. Breaking the speed limit by 5 km/h - which is not really breaking the limit. I was on my way to Portugal, and the Gendarme tried to encourage me to drive only at 100 km/h because of my 1000 kg load. Me doing 100 in a sprinter van? Merci et au revoir, and I carried on doing 135 / 140. Ok, 160 after Poitiers, to stop me falling asleep...

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau