daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #321
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I thought the Dutch A4 used to have emergency lanes in the middle, it is a law in road designing to add an emergency lane in the middle when there are over 4 lanes per direction. They turned the emergency lane into a fifth lane (per direction). Traffic flow is very good here now on the 2x5 piece. Too bad it ends on a 2x2 aquaduct with no emergency lanes...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #322
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Well, I've never seen an emergency lane in the middle in europe.
Not even on 2x4 freeways.
2x5 is very rare, but for example that case of dutch A4 doesn't have middle emergency lanes.... that's why I said that they weren't used in europe.
If they are, they are extremelly rare.

In north american I think they use it in freeways with 2x3 (or is it 2x4?) or more.
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #323
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Because it's an urban Autobahn, the A113 is only 33m wide (1,5 2 0,5 3,5 3,5 3,5 0,5 | 3 | 0,5 3,5 3,5 3,5 0,5 2 1,5), the smallest 6-lane profile in Germany. If there was enough space for an emergency lane in the center (which isn't common in Europe), they could also use a wider profile
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #324
Nephasto
Enlightened user

What's the 0,5 2 1,5 in the outer parts?
I know that's where the emergency lane is, but what exactly does that 3 measures are?
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #325
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
the smallest 6-lane profile in Germany.
how about those parts which where originally s2+2s, where a third lane has just been added by repainting the emergency lane and making the two original lanes more narrow like on the A48 between Koblenz and Dernbacher Dreieck (sounds nicer than the real name "Dreieck Dernbach" )? I don't know exactly if it was originally s2+2s, but I think it is because on exits and valley bridges, it is still s2+2s, and the parking areas between Höhr and Bendorf have no acceleration lane. there's only a stop sign when you want to re-enter the autobahn.

EDIT: well, you probably mean the most narrow new and originally s3+3s built autobahn

@radi: there are enough valley- and rivercrosses in germany where you can use the glitziglämerbrückengeländer

pics by me

Last edited by Patrick; October 5th, 2007 at 08:31 PM.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #326
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

@Patrick: those sections of the A48 were originally s2+2s and now the ex-shoulders are used as a third lane. That's not an "official" 6-lane profile

@Nephasto: 2m is the shoulder itself (2.5m when a wider profile is used), 0.5m are the so-called "Seitenstreifen" (were the inner and outer white lines are painted on). The 1.5m part is not asphalted but also part of the profile (used for crashbarriers, signs, ...). On rural Autobahns these parts are called "Bankette".
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #327
Arjuch

Likes (Received): 0

What is actually the difference between the german autobahn and others ?
Arjuch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #328
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

@europe!: the unique thing about the german autobahn is this (the laws that these signs are proclaiming):

pics from www.autobahn-bilder.de

Last edited by Patrick; October 5th, 2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #329
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
this must be the ugliest motorway I have ever seen by far, oh my god and it´s even new, it looks like a 50 years old runway in Albania (oh I forgot, even they have very new blackasphalt well marked runways), so it´s just very ugly and it surely is very unconfortable to drive on.
I think it looks great. I love nice new concrete freeways.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #330
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
there's only a stop sign when you want to re-enter the autobahn.
That sounds really dangerous.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #331
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
In north american I think they use it in freeways with 2x3 (or is it 2x4?) or more.
Often even 2×2, even in Canada.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #332
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

In Holland they only do it when there are at least 4 lanes in one direction. And even then not always.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #333
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
A7 Hamburg - Flensburg
Nice! What's the point of those driveable emergency lanes (Seitenstreifen befahren)? And Germany and Denmark both being in Schengen, they could put away those attention signs about the last parking and exit before the border. Also many parks there, as I can see!
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #334
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

in case of high traffic numbers, you have to use the emergency lane as a right driving lane. if there's low traffic, it's forbidden to drive there and the emergency lane stays an emergency lane. the arrows on the signs will disappear as nothing would have changed.
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #335
Verso
Islander

^ Like in the Netherlands? But I thought those signs (in Germany) weren't dynamic.
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #336
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

They are dynamic. Those seitenstreifen were badly needed, it's really weird this section is so narrow, it has suburbs along the route all the way to Bordesholm.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #337
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
@Patrick: those sections of the A48 were originally s2+2s and now the ex-shoulders are used as a third lane. That's not an "official" 6-lane profile

@Nephasto: 2m is the shoulder itself (2.5m when a wider profile is used), 0.5m are the so-called "Seitenstreifen" (were the inner and outer white lines are painted on). The 1.5m part is not asphalted but also part of the profile (used for crashbarriers, signs, ...). On rural Autobahns these parts are called "Bankette".

Ok, so the paved emergency lanes is 2+0.5=2.5m wide, being that the usual is 2.5+0.5=3m.
Old October 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #338
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
Ok, so the paved emergency lanes is 2+0.5=2.5m wide, being that the usual is 2.5+0.5=3m.

That's correct.
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #339
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

New pictures from around Frankfurt.

First, special thanks to Patrick Scholl for hosting them at his site www.autobahnatlas-online.de

So, here we go:

To see all the pictures of the A661, click here (Offenbach-Kaiserlei to Preungesheimer Dreieck) and here (Preungesheimer Dreieck to Bad Homburger Kreuz)!

To see all the pictures of the A5, click here (Bad Homburger Kreuz to Westkreuz Frankfurt) and here (Westkreuz Frankfurt to Frankfurter Kreuz)!

To see all the pictures of the A66, click here (Frankfurt-Miquelallee to Frankfurt-Höchst) and here (Frankfurt-Höchst to Wiesbadener Kreuz)!

To see all the pictures of the A3, click here (Wiesbadener Kreuz to Limburg-Nord) and here (Limburg-Nord to Ransbach-Baumbach)!
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #340
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
this must be the ugliest motorway I have ever seen by far, oh my god and it´s even new, it looks like a 50 years old runway in Albania (oh I forgot, even they have very new blackasphalt well marked runways), so it´s just very ugly and it surely is very unconfortable to drive on.
Freundchen, careful ok. We Germans don't take kindly to people who insult our Autobahns.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau