daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #3401
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The most annoying thing is that people forget to turn them off. Belgians also switch on their fog lights even when it just rains.
Yep, it's law in Belgium to have them on in heavy rain. Says a lot about Belgium, the worst you can do is have your fog lights on in wet conditions. Ironically, they don't all obey these regulations. A frightening amount of Belgians don't even bother switching their lights on AT ALL in dark or wet conditions. Same in the UK. French have gotten better now, they used to be notorious no-light-in-wet/dark-conditions drivers.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #3402
bogdymol
bogdymod

I've also used my rear fog light on A1 (Austria: Vienna - Salzburg). It was raining+snowing, low visiblity and I've also see others using them. I wasn't flashed by anybody (except a police car comming from behind at around 200 km/h while I was passing someone else at 120 km/h - I didn't see it in the mirror because of bad weather). After the visibility came back to normal I turned off that light.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #3403
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
A couple of Germans also had rear fog lights on, yes they're brighter than regular lights but I cannot possibly see why people say they're dangerous or annoying. It's just a little light.
You have obviously never been stuck behind a vehicle with its rear fog-light on. Otherwise you would know better. This light is supposed to shine through thick fog correlatively intense is the light.
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3404
Road_UK
BANNED

That's right. Driving in Belgium, while some poor sod in some village smokes a cigarette gives me a right headache!
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #3405
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
You have obviously never been stuck behind a vehicle with its rear fog-light on. Otherwise you would know better. This light is supposed to shine through thick fog correlatively intense is the light.
I know what I'm talking about. Rear fog lights never bothered me, not even from vehicles just in front of me. I simply do not think their light is so disturbing as you guys say. Apparently it's just me, so I will comply to the rule so that others will not be blinded by such a potent light.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #3406
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Fog lights are illegal in Portugal for some reason
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #3407
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Fog lights are illegal in Portugal for some reason
BRAVO PORTUGAL!!!!
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #3408
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Front fog lights are optional with most lower class vehicles anyway. I never owned a car that had them, even my current car was only 3.5 years old when I bought it in 2008, but didn't have it. Sometimes you see people driving with front fog lights in clear weather situations, just to impress people.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #3409
Road_UK
BANNED

I haven't got them on my van. Don't want them. Rear fog lights I hardy ever use. Maybe once in a while at night going up the hill at Dover. Fog gets really bad out there at times, and if I can't see the lines on the road, then I may put them on for a few minutes. Smoking a cigarette or heavy rain are no valid reasons to put them on. Even if the natives of some obscure country like Belgium try to prove you different...
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #3410
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

They saved my life once. That's all I need to love them.
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #3411
Road_UK
BANNED

They can also kill.
Old July 13th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #3412
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Front fog lights are very important for me. And rear fog lights of a car in front of me have never bothered me, even if there was no fog any more.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #3413
Road_UK
BANNED

You don't know what it's like, driving in Belgium after dark on a very wet day. Traffic is still busy. You try to stay in lane, but when it's wet on Belgian motorways, I don't like to call it aqua-planing anymore. How else are you supposed to describe a car journey in an ocean? And there are about a million fog lights in front of you, attacking your nerves, your eye-lids and your patience. These lights, straight from hell, are decreasing your visibility and your will to live. It shines right up to you from a wet road-surface, and they are in plain English just horrible.

There is a reason why fog-lights are illegal in countries like the Netherlands when the visibility is more then 50 metres.

Spoke to a Belgian guy here in Austria once. Got in his car in Gent, and made his way to Mayrhofen. It was pissing down with rain, so like a true Belgian he switched his fog lights on. As he trotted across the border into Germany at Aachen, he never knew what hit him, until I explained it to him. The Germans were furious! He must have thought that they tried to invade his country again!

Well, if they did I'm sure the first thing they'd do is to ban fog lights on rainy days.
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #3414
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post

They can also kill.
How exagerated. It is most certainly not so powerful, come on. What are your eyes made of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
You don't know what it's like, driving in Belgium after dark on a very wet day. Traffic is still busy. You try to stay in lane, but when it's wet on Belgian motorways, I don't like to call it aqua-planing anymore. How else are you supposed to describe a car journey in an ocean? And there are about a million fog lights in front of you, attacking your nerves, your eye-lids and your patience. These lights, straight from hell, are decreasing your visibility and your will to live. It shines right up to you from a wet road-surface, and they are in plain English just horrible.
You seriously need a shrink. I never read something so grossly exagerated without the intention of being funny.
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #3415
Road_UK
BANNED

Like I said: There is a reason why in most countries it is an offense to have fog lights on when there is no fog. And it can carry fines in a lot of countries. Double fog lights are the worst. And it does give me a headache. I'm talking from my own rendering experience. You've obviously never driven in Belgium before. Not on a dark wet day anyway.
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #3416
bogdymol
bogdymod

Rear fog lights should be used ONLY when there is hard fog or is pouring with rain and visibility is extremely limited! It's that simple

+ I usually don't use them inside my town because most of the time traffic is bumper - to - bumper and I know that those ones behind me hate having a big red dot in front of them
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #3417
Road_UK
BANNED

And then there are rear fog lights…Hyundai Excels anyone? Rear fog lights are the bane of all evil and should not – under any circumstances – be operated during conditions where there is no fog! Surely drivers of these offending vehicles wonder what the little red fog light symbol on their dashboard means?! Unbeknown to them, they are irritating the absolute crap out of everyone else. They are subtle enough not to stand out at first, but the second you notice them, your eyes don’t drift away until they’re gone.

My rant does serve a purpose. It is in fact illegal to operate fog lights and rear fog lights during conditions where there is no fog. Unfortunately, Police are always too busy doing other things, opposed to booking serial offenders who think their fog lights somehow impress other drivers.

So next time your finger goes for that fog light switch – STOP. Because you are annoying the crap out of every other motorist on the road.

- Paul Maric Car-advise.
Old July 13th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #3418
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Rear fog lights should be used ONLY when there is hard fog or is pouring with rain and visibility is extremely limited! It's that simple
That was exactly the condition I faced when I turned on my rear fog lights. I had difficulties seeing the cars in front of me, so I imagined that those behind me had the same difficulties in seeing me. Apparently I was wrong, even if I strongly suspect that Germans flashed at my direction not because my light bothered them, but just because "das ist verboten!!!", a magic word here. It would not be the first time that some German guy bothered me just for a matter of principle.
Old July 13th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #3419
Road_UK
BANNED

The best thing to do when it's raining is to slow down. In wet conditions these fog lights only shine through on the wet surface, which actually does reduce visibility. They are called fog lights. Not rain lights.
Old July 13th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #3420
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Indeed, they reflect too much on the wet pavement and wet windshield. A similarly annoying thing is when you're at a traffic light at night when it rains and the person in front of you drives an automatic and puts the brake down all the time waiting.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau