daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #3421
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
The best thing to do when it's raining is to slow down. In wet conditions these fog lights only shine through on the wet surface, which actually does reduce visibility. They are called fog lights. Not rain lights.
Understood.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #3422
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Since there's a lot of Belgium-bashing going on, I'll just state the rules in Belgium (in a shortened form for readability):

Mandatory use of regular lights: when night falls / rain, snow or hail is limiting the viewing distance to less than 200 metres.

Fog lights:
Front: these are not mandatory and as such are only limited in use and never mandatory. They may only be used in case of snow, heavy rain or fog.
Back: mandatory when fog or snowfall limits the viewing distance to less than 100 metres, or in case of heavy rain (note that there's no distance restriction on the heavy rain at all...)

So there's no reason to bash on Belgian drivers adhering to the rules when they're in Belgium. Bash the rules instead (rightfully so). When they go abroad, they should of course adjust to those rules, but I think it is understandable that a casual driver who doesn't go abroad that often won't know all these differences in rules.

@Road_UK: wow, chill man. I've never seen anybody so upset about a fog light. I agree that they shouldn't be used in heavy rain, but we're just following the rules we're used to in Belgium My eyes are quite sensitive to light, so I should usually be familiar with the feeling you have, but for some reason I've never been annoyed by the back fog light of a car; the front lights however...

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:28 PM   #3423
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/0...777600,00.html

German drivers who got stuck in a traffic jam due to the scheduled closure of A7 south of Hildesheim cut out a portion of the fence besides the Autobahn to get out of the traffic jam.

The last two sentences say enough about today's attitude to GPS:

Quote:
Bemängelt wurde von den Beamten, dass sich viele Autofahrer nicht auf die Umleitungsschilder, sondern auf ihr Navigationsgerät verlassen wollten. Sie seien viel zu früh auf die gesperrte Autobahn zurückgeleitet worden oder in Sackgassen geraten.
Many motorists didn't follow the detour signs but their GPS, and got back too early on the closed motorway or ended up in back roads or dead-end streets.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:46 PM   #3424
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Indeed, they reflect too much on the wet pavement and wet windshield. A similarly annoying thing is when you're at a traffic light at night when it rains and the person in front of you drives an automatic and puts the brake down all the time waiting.
People do that with a manual car as well though.

Some of you folks seem to be extremly light sensitive.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:53 PM   #3425
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

I also keep the brake pedal pressed most of the times on my manual car. Better that than going downwards when your not careful.
The Autobahn fence cutting was really funny.
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:01 AM   #3426
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I don't mind brake lights in front of me whilst waiting for a green light. I'm more annoyed with someone in front of me braking all the time either..:

1: for absolutely no reason whatsoever (British)

2: Speeding up, slowing down and create a gap between the car in front, than speeding up again until the ass of the car in front has been reached again, then braking again, and create the same size gap again etc etc (Germans)
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:30 AM   #3427
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

My 142 €cents about fog lights.

I am pretty light sensitive, especially at night, and I live in an area were we have serious fogs in winter. By serious I mean it's better to slow down, and in some cases have a friend on foot preceding you

I think fog lights shoul be used not only following weather conditions, but also understanding the needs of other drivers around you.
I use them only with fog (serious fog) or those rare huge spring/summer rains where you actually have sight problems and you need to slow down way under 50 km/h.
BUT only if other vehicles are far from me: even in the denser fog, if other cars are behind me there is no reason to annoy them, since it is obvious that they can see my regular lights.
Also, you have to choose between front and rear fog lights: you might be the first in a row (front f.l. only) or the last one (rear f.l. only).

The point is: you must find the right balance between fog/rain thickness and distance from other drivers.
Fog lights are useful to be seen by others when sight conditions are bad; if those others are close to you enough to let you see them, then the lights are useless and need to be shut down to avoid disturbing drivers.

I also use front fog lights in standard rain conditions, to better see the poor italian road markings, but only if I'm alone in the dark, since their reflection on wet road is very annoying, especially for drivers coming from the opposite direction.
And I admit using rear fog lights as a "rear headlight", to alert idiots tailgating my ass.
First, one shot; second, steady on; third, begin braking. Unluckily, this trick only works at night, but during the day you can go on cleaning your windshield... I hate those people.

Another (lots of) word about the light selector: I don'l like those cars which oblige you to operate front lights in order to use the rear ones, I want two separate switches. This is a major problem with the "standard German switch":

To activate fog lights, you have to pull the switch towards you. Problem is, you might forget fog lights on for the entire life of the car...
Recent Mercedes warn you if you leave the rear on, while recent VW activate a warning light in the dashboard while you're using them.
By the way, I prefer those systems where you have one button for the front and one for the rear: at least when you shut down the engine those switches are reset to 0 (my old Lancia Y, and recent Audis).

And some more words about keeping the brake pressed while stopped.
Keeping the vehicle still using the brake should be avoided for these reasons:
- you keep the system under pressure for no reason
- brakes cannot cool down properly
- brake lights are very powerful and are not meant to stay on for long time (unless they are LEDs)
- if your foot slips away your vehicle might move (pretty dangerous with traditional automatic transmissions)

Instead the handbrake should be applied, even for very short stops. The reason is safety in case of an accident.
If you get hit while the car is stopped by your foot on the pedal, the foot slips away and your car is free to move: this leads to higher forces being transmitted to its occupants, and lets the car move out of control for several seconds, possibly worsening the accident.
If the car is stopped by the handbrake, it will have a steady link with the ground, letting the structure and not the occupants to absorb the kinetic energy, and automatically stopping again when the accident is over.

I use a lot the handbrake while stopped. It lets me rest my right foot and prepare it over the throttle, in order to move quicker
In my dream car, the handbrake should activate only the upper brake light, in order to say "hey, I'm standing here".

That was a lot of two cents

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:56 AM   #3428
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Getting back to German Autobahns.

I'll soon have a trip to the Nederlands, with my beloved motorhome. First stop will be Stuttgart while going up (Mercedes Benz Museum), and last one will be Heidelberg on the way home, after a stop in Bonn to visit a friend.

I was thinking to follow this route:
Stuttgart - A81 - Heilbronn - A6 - Hockenheim - A61 - Venlo
Arnhem - A3 - Koeln - A59 - (Bonn) - A3 - Ruesselheim - A67 - Darmstadt - A5 - Heidelberg

Am I an idiot if I want to avoid A67 and take a detour just to drive through the famous Frankfurter Kreuz?

Consider I usually travel at 100-110 km/h (no more), and I hope to see a decent landscape, where possible, and not heavy traffic, where possible.
What's your advice?

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:45 AM   #3429
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Getting back to German Autobahns.

I'll soon have a trip to the Nederlands, with my beloved motorhome. First stop will be Stuttgart while going up (Mercedes Benz Museum), and last one will be Heidelberg on the way home, after a stop in Bonn to visit a friend.

I was thinking to follow this route:
Stuttgart - A81 - Heilbronn - A6 - Hockenheim - A61 - Venlo
Arnhem - A3 - Koeln - A59 - (Bonn) - A3 - Ruesselheim - A67 - Darmstadt - A5 - Heidelberg

Am I an idiot if I want to avoid A67 and take a detour just to drive through the famous Frankfurter Kreuz?

Consider I usually travel at 100-110 km/h (no more), and I hope to see a decent landscape, where possible, and not heavy traffic, where possible.
What's your advice?
About the Frankfurter Kreuz...but then you have to take all 4 inner ramps of this cloverleaf for the full experience (or atleast the 3 you need to go south coming from west (by going from west to north, then back to west and then south). because the direct ramp from west to south would be a bit boring, wouldn't it?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rter_Kreuz.png

but beware: there is a construction site between Frankfurter Kreuz and Darmstädter Kreuz for about 4/5 of this stretch. the 4 southbound lanes are separated to 2x2 lanes (the 4 northbound lanes are still 4 lanes, just more narrow).

When going to Heidelberg, I think, after Darmstadt, the A6 to Mannheim (and then at Mannheim/Schwetzingen to A656) is less congested than the A5, as about 1/2 of this strech has 3 lanes per direction, and the A5 between Darmstadt and Heidelberg is all 2x2. Otherwise, the A5 is a bit more curvy and closer to the hilly Odenwald region, whereas the A6 is pretty straight with almost no curves and all flat going mostly thru forests with trees as the only sights left and right.

Last edited by Patrick; August 2nd, 2011 at 02:09 AM.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:19 AM   #3430
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Damn, no Mercedes-Benz Museum, thanks to the goddamn umweltzone... sorry if I don't have the money to buy a new motorhome every five years

@ Patrick: thanks for the A6 advice!

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:53 AM   #3431
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

I need some information regarding pavement markings on the Autobahn.

So regular markings are 15cm, and wide markings are 30cm.

However, I've seen a combination of 15cm on the left edge line with 30cm on the right edge line, or 30cm on both sides. Or I guess 30cm on the left and 100cm on the right on the A7...Do those just differ from region to region?

Also, how long are regular lane markings? 5m?
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM   #3432
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Also, how long are regular lane markings? 5m?
6 metres
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #3433
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The widening of A8 between Ulm and Augsburg started yesterday. The works will last 4 years, the completion date is 30 September 2015.

http://www.swp.de/ulm/lokales/alb_do...rt4299,1063610
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #3434
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

finally!
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #3435
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

What about section from Ulm to Mühlhausen? Will they build completely new section or they will remake existing divided motorway? They will probably build new one, are there some plans online?
Old August 4th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #3436
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The widening of A8 between Ulm and Augsburg started yesterday. The works will last 4 years, the completion date is 30 September 2015.

http://www.swp.de/ulm/lokales/alb_do...rt4299,1063610
Bwoah, I never use A8 between Munich and Stuttgart if I can possibly avoid it. Finally happy to see they finished the roadworks at Stuttgart, they start digging the road up after Ulm towards Stuttgart. Never mind that horrible Zwabische Alb, now they're starting before Ulm as well! Great! I know how they carried out these widening works on the A1 between Hamburg and Bremen, it wasn't very nice! A3 between Nurnberg and Cologne is almost completely drivable now, I'll stick with that!
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #3437
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

They're still carrying out those A1 widenings in a not so nice way
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #3438
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Still, the A1 project is relatively fast. 72 kilometers of widened motorway in 4 years. Much faster than A1 in the Rhein-Ruhr area, not to mention A2 near Hamm, it's still not ready after almost a decade of construction there. I've no idea why it takes so long. You can't drag it out phase by phase for almost 10 years on such an important corridor.
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #3439
Road_UK
BANNED

A2 is only a short stretch now. I started using it again, as it's actually a very nice motorway. I used to avoid the A2 and coming from Calais use Antwerp - Utrecht - Apeldoorn - Hengelo and get on the A2 at Osnabruck instead. Now more often I go via Eindhoven and Venlo and jump on the A2 at Oberhausen. Very little problems between Oberhausen and Hannover, but after Hannover to Berlin is a bit of a drag... Still go via Apeldoorn at times though, less freight traffic at night, and it's only metres in difference.
Old August 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #3440
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Reconstruction of Dreieck Braunschweig-Südwest.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau