daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #3461
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Nice aerial of Kreuz Nürnberg-Süd.

by Autobahndirektion Nordbayern.
What is that strange road in the quadrant that looks as though it used to have a cloverleaf loop before upgrade? Why does it meet the ramps at either end at 90 degrees?
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #3462
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

I would think that it's some kind of a closed road, for example to be used in case of emergencies.
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #3463
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
What is that strange road in the quadrant that looks as though it used to have a cloverleaf loop before upgrade? Why does it meet the ramps at either end at 90 degrees?
It's used by maintenance vehicles during their service. It allows them to maintain the whole interchange more effective without making huge detours to turn back.
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #3464
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
The spelling is wrong as such just a bit daft. But what is clearly wrong is to call this junction München-Südwest in the first place. But who am I telling this.
Muenchen West and Muenchen Sued are already used, and this is between them... how else should it be called?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #3465
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Speaking of München-west, from the satellite images it seems that they started to build it as a full cloverleaf, significantly bigger then the actual interchange. There are also remnants of construction through Allach (more than a ROW). Are there any detailed Infos 'bout that particular A99 stretch?
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #3466
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Well, they could do worse than connecting the A99 all the way round. If the Ostring is jammed, then use the Westring if you're coming from Nuernberg heading towards Salzburg/Innsbruck. Great alternative to that Mittelring. Or what I sometimes do if everything in that area is jammed: Go to the airport, and from there to Erding, Markt Schwaben, Ebersberg and Bad Ailbing (Rosenheim) and rejoin the motorway near the Inntal Dreieck. Takes 15 minutes longer than if the motorway (A9, A99, A8) was running normal. All country lanes, and not a soul on it. A lot shorter in distance as well.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #3467
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Wikipedia:
Quote:
Aufgrund des Zweiten Weltkrieges wurde mit dem Bau nur stellenweise begonnen, der deutlichste Beleg für die damaligen Bautätigkeiten ist die auf Luftbildern deutlich zu erkennende Allach-Untermenzinger-Trasse mitsamt Resten der Trasse für das Kreuz mit der BAB 8; eine niemals benutzte Brücke an der Stelle wurde erst Mitte der 1990er-Jahre abgerissen. Ferner finden sich gerodete Waldabschnitte nördlich des Hasenbergls.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #3468
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Well, they could do worse than connecting the A99 all the way round. If the Ostring is jammed, then use the Westring if you're coming from Nuernberg heading towards Salzburg/Innsbruck. Great alternative to that Mittelring. Or what I sometimes do if everything in that area is jammed: Go to the airport, and from there to Erding, Markt Schwaben, Ebersberg and Bad Ailbing (Rosenheim) and rejoin the motorway near the Inntal Dreieck. Takes 15 minutes longer than if the motorway (A9, A99, A8) was running normal. All country lanes, and not a soul on it. A lot shorter in distance as well.
Unfortunately the Munich Ostumfahrung is not going to be relieved soon. The Westumfahrung will not be completed, so you have to pass through the city from A99 to A995, and then you still have to drive on the A8 which is chronically congested. On the other side, neither the A93 will be completed. I know they are building an autobahnliche strasse (motorway-like road) from Saalhaupt near Regensburg to Essenbach near Landshut, but then no plans (that I know of) of extending it to Rosenheim...
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #3469
Road_UK
BANNED

Have you ever driven that route from Airport to Bad Ailbing? It's a great - quite - alternative. Other alternative is to come off at Holzkirchen on the A8, and use Bad Toelz and cross the border at Achensee. Takes you straight onto the A12 at Wiesing/Zillertal - 20 minutes from Innsbruck.
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #3470
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Have you ever driven that route from Airport to Bad Ailbing? It's a great - quite - alternative.
No, never. Sometimes, when I have to go to the airport on "dangerous" parts of the day (like 6pm, when A9 from Munich to Neufahrn is completely locked) I take the B11 through Garching or, better yet, the St2053 through Ismaning.

Quote:
Other alternative is to come off at Holzkirchen on the A8, and use Bad Toelz and cross the border at Achensee. Takes you straight onto the A12 at Wiesing/Zillertal - 20 minutes from Innsbruck.
When I'm heading Italy I never take the A8, I prefer A95 to Garmisch and continuing on E533. I take the A8 when going to Munich from Italy. I've driven quite few times through Toelz and Achensee, usually on my way to go trekking in those beautiful mountains

Last edited by g.spinoza; August 19th, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #3471
Road_UK
BANNED

Then surely you've been in the beautiful Zillertal? And Mayrhofen of course, with the National Park - the highest mountains with footpaths connecting to Italy, and in Mayrhofen itself with two cable cars taking you up to explore the peaks and natural beauty. And then there is Hintertux, a glacier world nearby taking you up to 3200 metres, leaving you to be stunned at the view of the Zillertaler Alpen which is extending into Italy, overlooking the Dolomites. All this 30 km away from the A12, exit Achensee / Zillertal.
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #3472
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Dammit, don't tempt me I already have a list this long of places I want to go to, and now I have to add Zillertal too... no, never been there

Now I've been taken over by travel frenzy... one of my co-workers said "wow, you've been to more places around Munich in a year than I did in seven"
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #3473
Road_UK
BANNED

Zillertal is now your priority! Get your ass over here - it is the most beautiful and stunning area in the Alps. 10.000's of tourists every year can't be wrong. You're only 2 hours away. Beer and Schnapps is waiting for you in a mountain hut!

www.zillertal.at
www.mayrhofen.at
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #3474
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Zillertal is now your priority! Get your ass over here - it is the most beautiful and stunning area in the Alps. 10.000's of tourists every year can't be wrong. You're only 2 hours away. Beer and Schnapps is waiting for you in a mountain hut!

www.zillertal.at
www.mayrhofen.at
Unfortunately I'm leaving Munich and Germany for good in ten days. I will relocate to Brescia, Italy, so Zillertal is not that close, but not far either...
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #3475
Road_UK
BANNED

Three hours to Verona from here...
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #3476
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Muenchen West and Muenchen Sued are already used, and this is between them... how else should it be called?
Rename München-West to München-Nordwest and then it could be called München-West. Quite simple.
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #3477
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Lot of work for just a word.

Not worth it.
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #3478
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

Wikipedia:

Aufgrund des Zweiten Weltkrieges wurde mit dem Bau nur stellenweise begonnen, der deutlichste Beleg für die damaligen Bautätigkeiten ist die auf Luftbildern deutlich zu erkennende Allach-Untermenzinger-Trasse mitsamt Resten der Trasse für das Kreuz mit der BAB 8; eine niemals benutzte Brücke an der Stelle wurde erst Mitte der 1990er-Jahre abgerissen. Ferner finden sich gerodete Waldabschnitte nördlich des Hasenbergls.
Vertaling, a.u.b.? ;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #3479
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

A few photos from the renumbered A39. It used to be A250 until November 2010 and runs from Lüneburg to the Maschener Kreuz near Hamburg. Eventually A39 will be constructed from Wolfsburg to Lüneburg, linking northern with southern Niedersachsen.

image hosted on flickr

A39-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-11 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-12 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-13 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-14 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-15 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-16 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-17 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-18 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-19 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-20 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-21 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A39-22 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #3480
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Niedersachen is Lower Saxony, right?

Does renumbering motorways happen a lot in Germany?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau