daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:15 PM   #3501
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 62

Maybe they don't want to add more transit to the Stuttgart bypass.
M@rtoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:47 PM   #3502
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I don't care. I use A5 to Karlsruhe and then A8, seeing that it's finished. The shite starts after Stuttgart, but my answer for Munich is always A3, A9 now anyway.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #3503
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

A6 AK Weinsberg-Viernheimer Dreieck

At Autobahnkreuz Weinsberg the main route changes from A81 to A6. To stay on the A81 you need to exit (TOTSO). The A6 was a bit less comfortable drive than the A81 due to some roadworks and 2×2 sections, but still it's a nice ride. We stayed on the A6 until the Viernheimer Dreieck, just north of Mannheim. Here the main route continues as the A67 towards Frankfurt am Main and the A6 exits the motorway and heads straight west, towards Saarbrücken (another TOTSO).

Map of the route:

[img]http://i52.************/jha8gh.png[/img]

The pics (56) can be found on Flickr, as usual.
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #3504
bogdymol
bogdymod

Thank you for the great set of pics Timon.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #3505
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

why are A5 and A67 running in parallel? is there need for 2 motorways?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #3506
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
why are A5 and A67 running in parallel? is there need for 2 motorways?
The A67 is older. It was originally built this way to directly connect Rhine-Main and Mannheim in the 30s (and was back then numbered A5). This route bypasses several larger towns on the Bergstraße though, so they built the current A5 route in the 60s and switched the number over there.

Both routes regularly operate at capacity, so they're both definitely needed.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #3507
Road_UK
BANNED

If you're coming from Saarbruecken, heading towards Heilbronn, they signpost A6 all the way. Coming back they divert you off the A6, onto the A61 and back onto the A6 again, bypassing Mannheim.
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #3508
Timon91
Error

A67 Viernheimer Dreieck-AD Mönchhof

After the A6 continues north into the A67, while the A6 heads straight west. The A67 is a short motorway, I've covered entirely in northbound direction. At the Mönchhof-Dreieck, just west of Frankfurt am Main, the A67 ends in the A3. Before the Darmstädter Kreuz the road is partly 2×3, partly 2×2. After it it's just 2×2. It wasn't really busy, probably because of the parallel running A5. All combined this was also quite a pleasant road to drive. A map:

[IMG]http://i55.************/20b1e6x.png[/IMG]

The pictures, all 32 of them, can be found on Flickr. Thanks for watching!
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #3509
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Timon, would it not be better to just dump all your photos here? I would certainly enjoy scrolling through all that autobahn bliss.
Anyway, great photos. I really miss driving in Germany. It's one month to go and I'll be raging in Bavaria! It's like waiting to go to the driving heaven that Germany is.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #3510
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
It's one month to go and I'll be raging in Bavaria! It's like waiting to go to the driving heaven that Germany is.
Don't expect too much... in Bayern there are good roads and bad roads, like everywhere else
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #3511
Road_UK
BANNED

Is being stuck in traffic in Germany like being in heaven? My heaven is driving in France.
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #3512
Timon91
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Timon, would it not be better to just dump all your photos here? I would certainly enjoy scrolling through all that autobahn bliss.
Anyway, great photos. I really miss driving in Germany. It's one month to go and I'll be raging in Bavaria! It's like waiting to go to the driving heaven that Germany is.
Thanks I have one more batch of pics coming up, I will post them the same way as the others. After that I might post a summary of the whole trip with the pics directly in SSC
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #3513
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Don't expect too much... in Bayern there are good roads and bad roads, like everywhere else
What do you mean? I've been to various parts of Germany about 7-8 times by now and I am well aware what to expect.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #3514
-

Perhaps a stupid question, but is there a list of all planned, approved and u/c projects regarding the German Autobahn?
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #3515
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
Perhaps a stupid question, but is there a list of all planned, approved and u/c projects regarding the German Autobahn?
I know that I saw this once on wegenwiki.nl, but I can't find it right now.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #3516
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I know that I saw this once on wegenwiki.nl, but I can't find it right now.
Thanks for the link, I have found it. It's even in my native language!
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #3517
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Google Translate is helpful for all whose native language isn't Dutch.
Just go to http://translate.google.com/ and put http://www.wegenwiki.nl in the box, set the source language to Dutch and choose your own language to translate to
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #3518
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
If you're coming from Saarbruecken, heading towards Heilbronn, they signpost A6 all the way. Coming back they divert you off the A6, onto the A61 and back onto the A6 again, bypassing Mannheim.
That's just the loadbalancing on the A6/A61 outer motorway ring around Mannheim/Ludwigshafen.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #3519
Timon91
Error

A3 AD Mönchhof-AD Köln-Heumar

This is the last batch of pics from my trip. After the A67 we took the A3 towards the Ruhrgebiet. Most Dutch people know this route very well. It's not my favourite road, mostly due to long traffic jams I've encountered here in the past. Luckily it wasn't very busy and most of the route is 2×3. The surroundings are also quite nice. The HSL Köln-Frankfurt(Main) runs parallel to the A3 for quite a while. On my way south I went by train but from the ICE you can't see as much of the A3 as I had hoped for. Near Köln I've visited some friends and the next day we drove back to the Netherlands. Unfortunately it was raining badly that day, so I didn't make any pics. Map of the route:

[img]http://i56.************/4ru6n7.png[/img]

The pictures (76 of them) are on Flickr.
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #3520
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Nice set, Timon! I like the valley views you got so many times. The A3 crosses many tributaries of the Rhine, which flow from the Sauerland or Westerwald into the Rhine. I think the Lahn is the most important one in this area.

Surprisingly, it's been years since I drove A3 south of Köln. I usually go via A44-A7 via Kassel to avoid the Aschaffenburg - Würzburg construction site.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau