daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #3521
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato2k8 View Post
The A67 is older. It was originally built this way to directly connect Rhine-Main and Mannheim in the 30s (and was back then numbered A5). This route bypasses several larger towns on the Bergstraße though, so they built the current A5 route in the 60s and switched the number over there.
When they constructed the current A5 in the 1960s, they assigned the number A81 for Mönchhofdreieck - Heidelberg - Walldorf and retained A10 for Frankfurt - Mannheim. The renumbering followed in 1975.

The reasons? Difficult. I think that it was done to avoid an A5-A6 duplex. Then routing A5 via Heidelberg is the logical approach. A67 took whatever was left: Viernheim - Darmstadt - Mönchhofdreieck. A more fascinating question is why they built two parallel motorways (and train tracks) via Mannheim and Heidelberg. In some places, the distance between the two is no more than five kilometers...

I understand that this probably has to do with the military reserve around Viernheim. The result of this was that the route between Frankfurt and Karlsruhe could not run smack between Mannheim and Heidelberg. So they originally chose for one western route, which was followed by an eastern one later on. Absent the military basis, I would have expected one big motorway running somewhere midway between A5 and A6/A67. It might have been Europe's longest 2x5...

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #3522
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

A17 Dresden - Bad Gottleuba (CZ)

This set follows the entire A17 southbound from Dreieck Dresden-West to the Czech border near Bad Gottleuba. It transverses the Erzgebirge, or Ore Mountains.

map:

image hosted on flickr

A17-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #3523
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

A17-11 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-12 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-13 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-14 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-15 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-16 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-17 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-18 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-19 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-20 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #3524
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

A17-21 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-22 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-23 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-24 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-25 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-26 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-27 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-28 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-29 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-30 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #3525
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

A17-31 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-32 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-33 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-34 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-35 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-36 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-37 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A17-38 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #3526
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

interesting section. was it opened after 2008?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #3527
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It opened in 4 phases between 2001 and 2006

Downside is that the Czech side is delayed year after year. 2013 sounds like the earliest possible completion, in some areas no construction has commenced at all.
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #3528
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

but there's no former border crossing station?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #3529
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
but there's no former border crossing station?
No, just a small parking on german side with booths, where they sell vignettes/toll units.
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #3530
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

I like the streetlights in Hamburg. There are still many of them from 1950s and 1960s. They look very classical German, but also some of them are similar to what we had in other towns in other European countries before, but not now. Sometimes it looks like they want to keep them in Hamburg and not replace them with more modern models like they do in other towns.

Even at the motorways in Hamburg there are a lot of very nostalgic models. Old catenary lightning at the A7 similar to the old ones in the Netherlands and the UK. And the junctions have the models of light like you can see at the picture down here.

And a lot of strets in Hamburg still have this lights.

For me this is nostalgic, and beautiful.

Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #3531
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

That does look beautiful!

I wonder what about LED street lights in Germany? Knowing how green-conscious Germany is I would expect LED lighting there. I know some cities in Europe have been testing it and I saw some LEDs in Chinese cities (seemingly being tested as well).
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #3532
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

I've never liked those streetlights. The ones that they usually have in French cities look far better imo. Up until a couple of years ago they even had those kinds of highway lamps on Berlin's Unter den Linden boulevard:

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #3533
lambersart2005
-le sudouest-

Likes (Received): 13

i am not decided whether I think those lamps destroy an urban streetscape or if they are just a cool relict from the post war oil-form-follows-function-hype decades. But you*re right, hamburg is really crowded with them, same for cities in northrine westfalia, even in residential areas
lambersart2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #3534
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Timon, would it not be better to just dump all your photos here? I would certainly enjoy scrolling through all that autobahn bliss. ....
Speaking only for myself, when people "dump" 50 or 100 photos on the same page, my computer often won't display them all properly....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #3535
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

My computer can just about handle a lot of photo's but I avoid threads where people start qouting them.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #3536
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods

Speaking only for myself, when people "dump" 50 or 100 photos on the same page, my computer often won't display them all properly....
Time to think of a new computer perhaps?
My poor laptop is of age now but it has no problems with that.
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #3537
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I've had this laptop for a little over a year. It may be my Internet connection, actually.

But I believe there are actually policies on this site about enormous picture threads. Perhaps it's time for some people to think about respecting them, rather than telling other people to spend lots of money or rearrange their setup. (My Internet connection is a data card, which is not of the latest "generation," but I can take it anywhere and it has no download limits. The no-limits option, my carrier tells me, is something they're no longer offering. So upgrading to the faster one has a major downside.)

You can't just upload half a gig of crap (and sometimes it is indeed crap) onto a single page of what after all is a shared site without caring about other users of the site. That's why we have Flickr and Picasa.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; August 28th, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #3538
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods
I've had this laptop for a little over a year. It may be my Internet connection, actually.

But I believe there are actually policies on this site about enormous picture threads. Perhaps it's time for some people to think about respecting them, rather than telling other people to spend lots of money or rearrange their setup. (My Internet connection is a data card, which is not of the latest "generation," but I can take it anywhere and it has no download limits. The no-limits option, my carrier tells me, is something they're no longer offering. So upgrading to the faster one has a major downside.)

You can't just upload half a gig of crap (and sometimes it is indeed crap) onto a single page of what after all is a shared site without caring about other users of the site. That's why we have Flickr and Picasa.
So you have a rubbish internet connection and therefore you want others to cut their photos AND you talk about respect. Sorry dude but you're just wrong. This forum is ALL ABOUT photos. Many of them. I can't imagine what internet connection that must be which cannot handle a hundred or so photos per page.
Old August 28th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #3539
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
I understand that this probably has to do with the military reserve around Viernheim. The result of this was that the route between Frankfurt and Karlsruhe could not run smack between Mannheim and Heidelberg.
The A67 crosses right through the middle of Lampertheim Training Area (a 20 km² military zone). Almost the entire forest north of Viernheim and southeast of Lampertheim is part of Lampertheim Training Area. Ammunition depots and forest combat training areas are to the east of A67, chemical weapons depot and firing ranges for anything up to tanks are to its west.
(the area has been in the process of being handed back to German Federal property over the past couple years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
So they originally chose for one western route, which was followed by an eastern one later on.
The HaFraBa (A67) is older than the military area. Planning for it along that route was first presented in 1926; the military sites in the area were planned out in the mid 30s, military usage of the forests north of Viernheim started in the 40s.

To a certain extent the A5 as built is a bypass / tangential route. The 1960s transport planning for Mannheim/Ludwigshafen essentially designed a number of concentric rings, with the A6 and new-built A61 forming the outer motorway ring. Crossing these rings there were a number of tangential routes leading outwards to the surrounding smaller agglomerations in a star shape, from North in a circle.
There is a partial outermost ring that connects a lot of these agglomerations with each other. On the eastern edge with its high population density the A5 fills that role (to the North it's the B47, to the South the B39 and slightly farther out the B35). Within the concept it's only logical to also let all through traffic bypass the region through the outermost ring where possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I wonder what about LED street lights in Germany? Knowing how green-conscious Germany is I would expect LED lighting there.
Not very widespread. Düsseldorf in 2007 was the first in Germany to introduce a full street only lit by LEDs. 300 Meters. Currently about 1% of all street lights in Düsseldorf run with LEDs. Most municipalities in Germany do not have the money to introduce this kind of fancy stuff.

Last edited by kato2k8; August 28th, 2011 at 07:25 PM.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #3540
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
If I post 40 pictures, it's less than 2 MB.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau