daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #3541
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
So you have a rubbish internet connection and therefore you want others to cut their photos AND you talk about respect. Sorry dude but you're just wrong. This forum is ALL ABOUT photos. Many of them. I can't imagine what internet connection that must be which cannot handle a hundred or so photos per page.
My Internet connection is not "rubbish"; it's practical to be able to travel with it.

There are photos and there are photos. Most, I have no problem with. And I know that I'm not the only one who's had problems with some, and I know that it's been said in the past - whether at an "official" level or not - that people not put 50 or 100 large ones in the same post. In fact, I believe three-per-post has been suggested - not by me - so that you'd automatically get to a new page after a certain number of them.

And I didn't say anything about "cutting" photos; I just suggested, and am still suggesting, some thoughfulness toward other users - a note of caution about casually "dumping" enormous numbers of them here.

PS: Your post, in its tone, is not a model of respect.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #3542
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I agree with post above.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #3543
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If I post 40 pictures, it's less than 2 MB.
And that's not a problem. I don't remember yours ever being a problem.
But I actually got a low-disk-space warning the other night while on SSC. My laptop's got a lot of old files on it (which is my problem, I realize, and I'm working on cleaning them off) but I somehow went from 2 gigs free space to 200 megs while on SSC.

And when someone's posted a long series of repetitive photos of an area I'm not that interested in, and half of them display as red Xs, I'm not likely to click on every one to reopen it, hence if you're trying to show off your photos you lose at least one viewer in that sense. When it's of an area I am interested in, I miss out.

By the way, I think I've had trouble on my office computer as well, so I'm not convinced it's just my "rubbish" Internet connection.

I didn't mean to piss anyone off. But since I apparently did, can we perhaps have a moderator pronouncement on guidelines? (Including things like, try to make sure photos are the approriate size that they can be seen without scrolling from side to side?) People can always link to their own albums to display high-res versions. In fact - and I never knew this - I was looking through the SSC FAQs and apparently SSC permits people to create albums somewhere.

Although I hate to ask you to do work....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #3544
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

+1
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #3545
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Photos

I also agree with Penn's Woods.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #3546
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

A143 Halle an der Saale

The A143 is an incomplete bypass of Halle an der Saale, and probably the most notorious missing link of eastern Germany considering the legal troubles they ran into.

Here on the left:

image hosted on flickr

A143-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-11 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-12 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-13 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-14 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-15 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A143-16 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #3547
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Can you enlighten us as to what kind of troubles the Transport Ministry ran into WRT A143?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #3548
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
My Internet connection is not "rubbish"; it's practical to be able to travel with it.

There are photos and there are photos. Most, I have no problem with. And I know that I'm not the only one who's had problems with some, and I know that it's been said in the past - whether at an "official" level or not - that people not put 50 or 100 large ones in the same post. In fact, I believe three-per-post has been suggested - not by me - so that you'd automatically get to a new page after a certain number of them.

And I didn't say anything about "cutting" photos; I just suggested, and am still suggesting, some thoughfulness toward other users - a note of caution about casually "dumping" enormous numbers of them here.

PS: Your post, in its tone, is not a model of respect.
My reply was an answer to this:

Quote:
Speaking only for myself, when people "dump" 50 or 100 photos on the same page, my computer often won't display them all properly....
So if someone is posting 5 photos per post and there won't be other posts you will get 100 photos per page (assuming that your default setting is 20 posts per page). Typically, however, you will get anything between 50 and 80 photos per page depending on how quickly you'll be posting all your photos.

I don't think I have ever said that we should post 100 photos per post. If you check my own photo threads you'll see that I typically post 3-6 photos per post (depending on how many other posts there are). This is just common sense really. However you should expect to see anything between 50-100 photos per page on any SSC photo thread. if you can't handle 50 photos per page then perhaps you should find other ways of browsing. Sorry if that sounds disrespectful but we're not in the 56K era right now. If you browse using some mobile internet card you may try switching images off (what I do on my mobile phone when using mobile data) to help cut down the traffic. This, however, by no means should be the reason for anyone to try posting less photos than they have originally intended.

What really happened, I suggested that people post all their photos here (nowhere did I say that it should be AGAINST the 3 photo per post "rule"). Then you say that you can't handle 50-100 photos per page (which is VERY typical over SSC when going ALONG the rule you mentioned) and finally you say that it's not good to post 100 per post. It's really confusing and makes it hard for me to understand what you actually mean. Is it 50 photos per page or is it 100 per post you cannot handle? In the latter case I completely agree. In the former, however, certainly not.

P.S. my apologies to everyone else for going offtopic.

Last edited by Pansori; August 28th, 2011 at 11:15 PM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #3549
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Can you enlighten us as to what kind of troubles the Transport Ministry ran into WRT A143?
Quickly after the reunification of Germany, it was put on the list of high priority road projects in 1992, and first protests against it popped up in the 1990's. A record of decision from 2005 was ruled illegal in 2007 because it ran through a natura-2000 area. The construction has since been ceased, but in the meantime the southern half did open to traffic. Another record of decision was published in 2009, and appeals followed suit. For some reason, it takes a long time (3 - 4 years) before the judge issues a final judgment.

I don't know why it takes so long, in the Netherlands the judgment dealing with the appeals is issued no more than 6 months after the consultation period ended, typically 7.5 months after the record of decision has been published. I suppose the German judge will make a judgment in 2012 or 2013, after which construction may or may not begin. Originally construction was planned to begin in early 2011. The construction time will take 3 years. The delay so far is approximately 19 years.

Can anybody elaborate why it takes so long between a record of decision and the ultimate judgment by the highest court in Germany?
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #3550
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
My reply was an answer to this:

So if someone is posting 5 photos per post and there won't be other posts you will get 100 photos per page (assuming that your default setting is 20 posts per page). Typically, however, you will get anything between 50 and 80 photos per page depending on how quickly you'll be posting all your photos.

I don't think I have ever said that we should post 100 photos per post. If you check my own photo threads you'll see that I typically post 3-6 photos per post (depending on how many other posts there are). This is just common sense really. However you should expect to see anything between 50-100 photos per page on any SSC photo thread. if you can't handle 50 photos per page then perhaps you should find other ways of browsing. Sorry if that sounds disrespectful but we're not in the 56K era right now. If you browse using some mobile internet card you may try switching images off (what I do on my mobile phone when using mobile data) to help cut down the traffic. This, however, by no means should be the reason for anyone to try posting less photos than they have originally intended.

What really happened, I suggested that people post all their photos here (nowhere did I say that it should be AGAINST the 3 photo per post "rule"). Then you say that you can't handle 50-100 photos per page (which is VERY typical over SSC when going ALONG the rule you mentioned) and finally you say that it's not good to post 100 per post. It's really confusing and makes it hard for me to understand what you actually mean. Is it 50 photos per page or is it 100 per post you cannot handle? In the latter case I completely agree. In the former, however, certainly not.

P.S. my apologies to everyone else for going offtopic.
I guess I meant per post.... I don't have the technical knowledge to say what would work (or I'd suggest precise rules myself); just reporting my impressions. Which it appears are not unique.

I have a 3G data card. As I've said, if I upgraded to 4G, my provider would not permit unlimited downloads. I suppose I could do that, for the sake of portability, and at the same time get a second, land-line connection at home (I've thought of that actually), but funds are not unlimited. Portability's important, since I like road-tripping as much as the next person, and I'm at my parents' every other weekend because my dad has Parkinson's, so I'm not giving it up. No idea what my connection speed is.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 29th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #3551
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
I've never liked those streetlights. The ones that they usually have in French cities look far better imo. Up until a couple of years ago they even had those kinds of highway lamps on Berlin's Unter den Linden boulevard:

That model at that picture is a more modern version. It's more like 1980s or 1990s.

In Hamburg most of the lamps are the models from 1950s and 1960s. Look at the picture again and compare.

Hamburg still have a lot of them everywhere. Some street have them at both sides. They have even some streets where they have a twin arm version of this model. I think all those lamps look so beautiful in Hamburg.

For me this is something nostalgic. In Sweden it was a lot of similar lamps at the streets in 1950s and 1960s. In Uppsala there was similar lamps at a lot of streets before. In 1980s some of them still exists. But now nearly all of them are replaced with modern models. And in Uppsala all of them are replaced now. So I love to see those beautiful lamps in Hamburg.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #3552
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

And here is another with those beautiful lamps in Hamburg.

Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #3553
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Speaking only for myself, when people "dump" 50 or 100 photos on the same page, my computer often won't display them all properly....
Beside that often there are dozen of similar photos, and looking at them takes time.

In my opinion, posting 50 normal photos that some don't look at is worse than showing 5 significant photos, but seen by everyone (I usually skip posts with dozens of photos so as to save time).

I agree with Penn's Woods on other points.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #3554
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A72 Chemnitz - Hof

This photo set documents the A72 from Chemnitz to Hof. The A72 is a link between A4 and A9 (in the future also to A38), and runs across the foothills of the Ore Mountains. It's a rather scenic motorway, and was pretty high on my to-do list.

route:

10 pics per post:

image hosted on flickr

A72-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #3555
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

A72-11 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-12 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-13 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-14 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-15 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-16 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-17 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-18 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-19 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-20 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #3556
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

A72-21 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-22 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-23 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-24 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-25 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-26 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-27 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-28 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-29 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-30 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3557
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

A72-31 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-32 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-33 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-34 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-35 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-36 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-37 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-38 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-39 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-40 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3558
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

A72-41 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-42 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-43 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-44 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-45 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-46 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-47 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-48 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-49 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-50 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #3559
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

A72-51 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-52 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-53 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-54 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-55 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-56 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-57 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-58 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-59 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-60 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #3560
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

A72-61 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-62 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-63 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-64 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-65 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-66 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-67 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-68 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-69 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A72-70 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau