daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #4101
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

please delete

Last edited by Road_UK; June 13th, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #4102
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
The explanation of this is in tolls. Who can, uses alternatives free routes cause french highways are expansive. In Germany you don't need this, so the highway is very practical. Evidence of this is for example the A35 Mulhouse-Strasbourg that's free; is crowded as much as a german highway. And from Basel to Strasbourg however I find more pratical the german "twin" A5. It's faster.
This is not the reason. France is not overpopulated, like Germany. Even the RN's around the toll routes are quiet, while on some other tolled autoroutes, there is more traffic then others. A1 Paris-Lille is the busiest, followed by A13 Paris-Rouen, A6 and A10. And in areas where there is a lot of traffic, these roads are owned by the State, and are not private companies. A bit different in Italy, where nearly ALL motorways are tolled, even the Milan Orbital. A35 is really not all that busy, compared to the German A5 nearby. And with these ongoing roadworks and hold-ups particularly in the Freiburg, I prefer the A35 anytime. And French customs at the Basel border are 100 times friendlier then their German colleagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
And this is a HUGE advantage open networks have over closed ones. The toll stop is always a bottleneck, but that's not the worst thing.
The main problem is that you can never connect a high-capacity open road directly to a closed system motorway, so you'll always have land-consuming and flow-slowing connecting roads, often placed in odd points of the network chosen upon the available space instead of the traffic flow needs.
This applies in Italy, not France. Tolls start AFTER the last bottleneck, where in Italy they start in the middle of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
There's your problem (assuming heavy >3.5t vans). Of course driving in France is better if you drive a slow van, have to drive during busy hours and your employer pays for the tolls...

Drive in a normal car capable of high speed comfortably ( so no city tincans or big slow vans) in quiet hours ( when travelling for personal reasons anyone can decide to travel at night rather than mess about in heavy traffic), and you will see why Germany is far nicer to drive in.

As for the French nice people, that is subjective, I definitely prefer Germans, at least they are not so arrogant about their language. Try speaking English in France, they will often burble back in French... But I'm biased too, as I can speak Dutch and they will mostly understand me, and they can speak German to me and I will mostly understand it.

''You stop in traffic instead''
Easily avoided by travelling at night, unlike toll booths which slow you down and cost you extra money 24/7.
''Yes, end?''
Drive over rubbish slow roads instead of quickly covering miles on a highway...
''Yes, and? What is wrong with the speed limit in France''
Yes there is. Germany is one of the few countries which doesn't have a completely retarded view on speed limits, at least they understand that in many areas a speed limit makes no sense at all.

Driving through Germany is faster ( I guess arguable depending on time of the day, and if keeping to the speed limits) and cheaper than in France, what else matters ?
So, now it's your turn. We have already established that my van is under 3.5T and I actually mingle with tourist traffic. Germany has a fully retarded view on speed limits. Unless you enjoy dropping down from 200 to 80 km/h, and speed limits in Germany does apply on most motorways. And they are downgrading more and more motorways. Recently the A8, just across the border from here. Rosenheim bound has been 130 for a long time, now a large stretch it`s 80, due to bad road surface. Kufstein bound used to be unlimited, but is now 130 all the way. A61 Köln-Mannheim is 130 or lower. And A3 all the way from Oberhausen to Passau it's stopping and going, stopping and going, and speedlimit changes are too many to count. And of course, most tunnels on motorways in Germany you have to drop down to 80. Talking about retarded!

In France on the other hand, I get to do a nice steady 135/140, day and night and hardly ever having to switch off my cruise control. I don't mind paying for these tolls, I don't pay them, my boss does.
Viva la France!!!
I don't mind Germany, but after a day of agressive *******s, road works, grumpy customs and police officers and slow driving (!) , entering France at Saarbrücken is like a breath of fresh air, and for me it's a major good-mood upgrade. I will be stopping at the first services before Metz, and get some good food inside me. I may stop the night, and drink some wine too! Sleeping in France in my van is a pleasure, I won't get woken up by engine running trucks and loud speaking Polish truck drivers!
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #4103
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Population density:
Germany: 229 people / km2
France: 116 people / km2

Germany is almost twice as densely inhabitated than France, and if you take Ile de France away, you get approx. 80 people / km2 which is a pretty low value.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4104
Road_UK
BANNED

That's right.
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #4105
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Now few pics from A7, section between Kirchheimer Dreieck and Hattenbacker Dreieck:

We are going in the direction of Giessen:

Skilldetector A new HR platform where everything is about your skills!
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #4106
panda80

After leaving A7, we continue our way on A5, till Giessen (Reiskirchener Dreieck to be more precise).

So, pics from A5 between Hattenbacher Dreieck and Reiskirchener Dreieck:

Old June 15th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #4107
panda80

Old June 16th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #4108
Easy driver

Likes (Received): 0

Nice pictures .

I remember two years ago, the section of the A5 between Freiburg and Baden-Baden was in work for enlargement to 2x3 lanes. Is it done now?

Last edited by Easy driver; June 16th, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
Easy driver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #4109
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

There are currently roadworks between Baden-Baden and Offenburg for a widening to 2x3 lanes. It will be finished in late 2013.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #4110
Easy driver

Is there a project to widen the sections between Basel and Freiburg; between Freiburg and Offenburg?

What about the A98, when is it planed to reach A5 to A96?

Last edited by Easy driver; June 16th, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old June 16th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #4111
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's planned as "weiterer bedarf", which means it's on the bottom of the priority list. Only a section between Freiburg-Mitte and Teningen has the status of "vordringlicher bedarf", so that would be the next section to be widened, though there are no concrete plans yet, to my knowledge. Luckily the new Verkehrsminister (Transportation Minister) of Baden-Württemberg, who is from the Green party, does not categorically oppose road widenings, but I suppose A5 is not high on the list of priorities.
Old June 16th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #4112
Easy driver

Thank you for your answer.

I saw they were planning the A98 for decades now, and it's still not going on.

Is there a planned date of opening?
Old June 17th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #4113
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

I believe that a continuous A98 between the A5 and the A96 has been removed from the planning ages ago (mind you, the original plan had been to have an A98 until Irschenberg on the A8 east of Munich). They might extend the A98 a bit to the east from its present terminus, so that it might run to Tiengen. But no other extensions are currently being planned.

On top of that, the B31n along the North shore of Lake Constance (Bodensee) might over the years turn into a dual carriageway that could eventually reach the A96. But that will take ages and is unlikely to be ever signposted as A98.
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #4114
panda80

A set of photos from A480 near Giessen.

Distance sign after Reiskirchener Dreieck:

Giessener Nordkreuz, intersection with A485:

Approaching the end of A480:

We go towards Limburg from here, on B429 and then B49:
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #4115
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interesting signs with "Gießener Ring". I cannot remember seeing that elsewhere in Germany. Maybe it's an invention from Hessen, they like to do things different.
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #4116
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Nice pics Panda80! A lot of nostalgia to watch these pics from Gießen area
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #4117
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Interesting signs with "Gießener Ring". I cannot remember seeing that elsewhere in Germany. Maybe it's an invention from Hessen, they like to do things different.
I think it may be done to provide people with clear sign posting on those who wish to use the Giessen shortcut (A45, A5). It is a bit confusing and messy out there to say the least...

How does Hessen like to do things different? I have never noticed this.
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #4118
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Hessen aligns overhead signs on the left, while other states use centered signs.

Nordrhein-Westfalen:
image hosted on flickr

IMG_9045 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Hessen:
image hosted on flickr

IMG_9226 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #4119
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Interesting, I thought they had those only in Berlin:
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #4120
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2081

In Bayern too:

g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau