daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #4261
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Just did Austria-Holland and back in two days, and I can recommend the A9/A3 route to anyone. A few roadworks: On the A9 just north of Munich, and larger scale works at Aschaffenburg, but nothing that will delay you. A3 part of the Cologne Orbital is now refurbished, and has 4 lanes, which guarantees a smooth transit, even in the rush hour. Before Oberhausen they are doing dome works, but also there nothing spectacular. I recommend the A3 over the A61 to anyone.
I don't, I've driven Munich-Amsterdam and Amsterdam-Munich many times and the A3 is so prone to huge delays. Especially the bit Nurnberg - Wurzburg is a nightmare. The bit Wurzburg - Frankfurt is much better than it used to be but still has some 2x2 sections. What day were you driving? Normally the right lane on the A3 is one big truck traffic jam. The A9 Nurnberg-Munich is excellent unless its holiday season and it can be completely jammed.

From NL to Switzerland or Southern-Germany I prefer the A61, especially with the new A74 connection at Venlo.

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #4262
Christophorus

Likes (Received): 87

80 years of german Autobahn!

Congratulations on 80 years of Autobahn to Germany! On August 6th 1932 the first Autobahn was opened between Köln and Bonn. Nowadays A555 which was 1+1 at first.

Christophorus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #4263
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

A555 had four lanes, but not a real median. It was more modern than the earlier Autostrada dei Laghi in Italy though.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #4264
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des

I don't, I've driven Munich-Amsterdam and Amsterdam-Munich many times and the A3 is so prone to huge delays. Especially the bit Nurnberg - Wurzburg is a nightmare. The bit Wurzburg - Frankfurt is much better than it used to be but still has some 2x2 sections. What day were you driving? Normally the right lane on the A3 is one big truck traffic jam. The A9 Nurnberg-Munich is excellent unless its holiday season and it can be completely jammed.

From NL to Switzerland or Southern-Germany I prefer the A61, especially with the new A74 connection at Venlo.
I drive it all the time, traveling between Tirol and either Holland or Calais. I sometimes use A61, but at times it means going via Stuttgart which I don't like. Are you from Munich?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #4265
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't really like A3 Aschaffenburg - Nürnberg as well due to the high truck volumes and 2x2 lanes, although it's better this year because there are less roadworks between Aschaffenburg and Würzburg.

I prefer to drive via Kassel and Bamberg to Nürnberg to avoid traffic.

A3 is also increasingly congested near Duisburg and Oberhausen. Traffic volumes are quite high for 2x3 lanes there, the annual average is near 130.000 vehicles per day which means the more busier months are likely at or over 140.000 vpd.
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #4266
Road_UK
BANNED

I hate that Kassel road. Very busy, steep and bendy in places. Also lots of freight traffic. I prefer the A3.
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #4267
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A3 and A7 have similar traffic volumes, the difference is A3 has it over 200 kilometers while A7 only about 50 kilometers and both are just as steep, though A7 is indeed more twisty. A7 south of Hattenbach is a breeze though, mostly 36.000 - 42.000 vehicles per day as opposed to A3 between Köln and Frankfurt with 68.000 - 94.000 vehicles outside the cities. A7 also carries substantially less truck traffic south of Hattenbach.
Old August 7th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #4268
the_Aristocrat

Likes (Received): 0

Here is a video I recently made while driving on the Autobahn A2. Driving westbound on a rainy morning in the northern part of the Ruhr area in Germany. Due to a minor accident a short traffic jam develops with the German police already on the scene in a Volkswagen Passat Variant. The video takes us past Recklinghausen, Gelsenkirchen, Gladbeck and towards Bottrop.

the_Aristocrat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #4269
the_Aristocrat

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post

Often I come from the eastern part of the Netherlands and instead of the A3 I take the A4 & A45. Although is is slightly longer, there is quite less traffic and not so many speed limits (though they currently work on some parts of the A45). Maybe that is an option for you?
the_Aristocrat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #4270
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Drove the route A8 - A61 Munich - Koblenz last week and i do NOT recommend it! There are loads of constructions going on. On the A8 the stretches Augsburg - Leipheim and Ulm - Aichelberg are awful. At Stuttgart there is pure madness because of new pavements. Further there are several small nasty sites around Pforzheim. A61 has 3 major construction sites: the Rhine bridge and 3 really loooooong stretches between Mutterstadt and Stromberg.

I guess that A3 is the better choice at the moment just having that nasty Nurnberg - Wurzburg stretch.
Isek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #4271
Road_UK
BANNED

Thank you for agreeing with me.
Old August 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #4272
Road_UK
BANNED

Never knew that a time existed in Germany, where they used falling arrows on their signs. I know they did in Austria, there are still some left in the Graz area, but look what I found. They even used shorter lane markings, instead of the traditional long ones they have now.

Old August 9th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #4273
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The state of Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) submitted a preliminary list of projects for the next federal road plan of 2015.

Among the new projects are a widening of A2 to 2x4 lanes throughout the state, an extension of A39 from Salzgitter to A44 and an extension of A27 from Walsrode east to A2 somewhere in Sachsen-Anhalt.

Apart from the A2 widening, I assume the chances of building these other new links are remote, even though an A39 extension is not the craziest idea, it's about 20 kilometers shorter than A2 (Dortmund - Helmstedt) and serves a large area without motorways.
Old August 9th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #4274
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Among the new projects are a widening of A2 to 2x4 lanes throughout the state, an extension of A39 from Salzgitter to A44 and an extension of A27 from Walsrode east to A2 somewhere in Sachsen-Anhalt.
Would the A39 extension be west of and somewhat parallel to the A7? Would the A27 extension serve Celle and Wolfsburg?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #4275
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I assume the A39 extension will be something like this:

The A27 extension is less clear. They also call for an upgrade of B188 from Wolfsburg to Berlin, maybe A27 will merge into B188 somewhere east of Wolfsburg. It would make sense for the A27 extension to serve the city of Celle.
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #4276
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Better first connect Olpe with Kassel so that Cologne has a connection with Kassel.When you drive from Cologne direction east you always have to drive either north over Dortmund or south over Giessen and that sucks
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #4277
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
Better first connect Olpe with Kassel so that Cologne has a connection with Kassel.When you drive from Cologne direction east you always have to drive either north over Dortmund or south over Giessen and that sucks
I was just thinking the same, but it's not something for Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) to plan. In general, Paris - Berlin does not have a particularly direct route. The straight-line distance is about 860km but the shortest highway route is about 1050km. A direct connection between Olpe and Kassel would help.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #4278
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I was just thinking the same, but it's not something for Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) to plan. In general, Paris - Berlin does not have a particularly direct route. The straight-line distance is about 860km but the shortest highway route is about 1050km. A direct connection between Olpe and Kassel would help.
Paris-Berlin is not all that bad with the existing routes via Hannover, Oberhausen, Cologne and Liege?
Old August 9th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #4279
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Maybe,but wth is the problem.They built the motorway from Werl to Meschede that nobody needs and the A49 south-west of Kassel that nobody needs and the motorway connection Giessen-Marburg that also nobody needs.With that money they could bild the A4 from Olpe to Kassel in 2X4 format.Its the same think with the A1,its absolutely unbeliavable that the Nürburgring as one of the major racing circuits in Europe doesn´t have a motorway connection they threw money out for connections that nobody needs and the motorways that should be build exist only on paper
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #4280
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

As you can see on this map, as many as three parallell motorways to the A2 were once planned (A32 Nienburg-Magdeburg, A30 Bad Oeynhausen-Braunschweig and A35/A36 Bielefeld-Dessau). The A36 has partially been built as a four-lane B6 from Bad Harzburg to Bernburg, with an eastward expension as 2+1 on the way.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau