daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #4381
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
But that's my point: there is hardly any freedom on the Autobahns in Germany. Your freedom to drive as fast as you want either gets tampered by dropping down to 80 due to noise reductions, roadworks or congestion, or parts that are downgraded to set limits as low as 60. And the aggression, and your awareness that you have to maintain on their motorways, due to oncoming overtaking vehicles are unbelievable. Wouldn't you rather do a steady 130/140 in France all the way, and a chance to enjoy the countryside, with little or no aggression on the roads whatsoever?
I agree that there are many sections with a speed limit (I think roughly half, excluding road works). I actually didn't really notice any aggression, you just need to make sure not to stick to the left-most lane, something I do anyway, and you're fine. Actually, I was using that lane quite frequently but as long as you keep paying a bit of attention to your mirror (which I had time to do, as I didn't have to look at my speedometer), you hardly get any surprises at all.

I agree that France is also a lovely country to drive through. Costs a lot of money though, but I agree that the general state of the roads is (a lot) better. Still, last time I went there, I was in a traffic jam for 4 kilometers to pay for the road, which is annoying.
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #4382
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Wouldn't you rather do a steady 130/140 in France all the way, and a chance to enjoy the countryside, with little or no aggression on the roads whatsoever?
Absolutely not. I find driving in Germany much more pleasant than driving in France. The salient nice thing about driving in France is the abundance of high-quality rest stops.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4383
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

As for me, "no limit" means the freedom that I don't need to check the speed frequently but can watch the road, the traffic, the mirror.
However my standard notion about the German motorways is that "no limit does not mean that you may drive at any speed; it means that other cars will drive at any speed so that you have to be much more careful".
Lots of German motorways have a standard and a surface quality which would be unacceptable in countries like Hungary. Although the secondary roads have much better quality in Germany then here, our motorways are pretty better than the German ones.
On the other side Germany has much more motorways than Hungary even related to the country size. And that's why visitors from less developed nations (especially from the ex-communist ones) admire the network: motorways here, motorways there, motorways everywhere.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #4384
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Wouldn't you rather do a steady 130/140 in France all the way, and a chance to enjoy the countryside, with little or no aggression on the roads whatsoever?
No way. I'd rather drive 160-180 km/h in autobahnen, even if I have to slow down from time to time due to highly justified reasons, than fall asleep in a boring-ass French motorway where everyone drives the same speed and cops pop out of the nowhere with laser jumelles to ticket anyone driving 140 (or 120 in a 110, or 100 in a 90. A large portion of the French motorway network has lower-than-130 speed limits).
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #4385
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Every time I read about the pleasure of going faster than 140 I ask myself:
1) Who the hell is paying for this people's fuel (can he pay mine too?)
2) Why I use to enjoy driving a sporty car on bendy hills and get as bored as **** by driving on motorways...

I usually keep 110, best compromise time/fuel... and thus I don't need to check the speedo every five seconds.
I don't see all that pleasure in going fast on a motorway, you just have to floor it and keep the wheel straight.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #4386
Beck's
Polska wielonarodowa!!

Likes (Received): 8205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkot634 View Post
ChrisZwolle
I understand. It's hard to disagree, the infrastructure in this country is at a high level, not what in Poland. I heard somewhere that the national roads in Germany are in a similar state as in Poland, but it's probably a lie. I wanted to do a comparison, because we know that the roads in Poland are in poor condition.
It's true that German road infrastructure is defenitely better than in Poland, but saying that our national roads are poor is lie, lie and once again lie(sb, hwo says that has never driven on our national roads)!! Of course, some parts of them are in very poor condition with potholes, ruts etc., but around 60% of national roads in Poland are in good and very good condition. Is it the reason to hurraoptymism? I don't think so, howevere is not the reason to complain as well.
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #4387
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
No way. I'd rather drive 160-180 km/h in autobahnen, even if I have to slow down from time to time due to highly justified reasons, than fall asleep in a boring-ass French motorway where everyone drives the same speed and cops pop out of the nowhere with laser jumelles to ticket anyone driving 140 (or 120 in a 110, or 100 in a 90. A large portion of the French motorway network has lower-than-130 speed limits).
What large portion. Only on urban motorways. And like Wilhelm says, what's the point driving that fast. And 140 is tolerated in France. A friend at the Gendarmes told me. It's not like you're going super slow.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #4388
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck's View Post
It's true that German road infrastructure is defenitely better than in Poland, but saying that our national roads are poor is lie, lie and once again lie(sb, hwo says that has never driven on our national roads)!! Of course, some parts of them are in very poor condition with potholes, ruts etc., but around 60% of national roads in Poland are in good and very good condition. Is it the reason to hurraoptymism? I don't think so, howevere is not the reason to complain as well.
Apart from newly renovated or newly built N-roads, most of the national network is in a very bad shape. I know, and so does my van. Braking is extremely difficult in some areas due to God knows what stuff they put on the roads...
This is an international forum, so one will have to swallow a little criticism once in a while.

Edit. In all fairness, I have to add that a lot of German N-roads are nothing to write home about... Some of these roads are in very poor condition, au pair with Poland and Belgium, and unknown in the Netherlands.

Last edited by Road_UK; October 10th, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #4389
Beck's
Polska wielonarodowa!!

Likes (Received): 8205

Quote:
Apart from newly renovated or newly built N-roads, most of the national network is in a very bad shape. I know, and so does my van. Braking is extremely difficult in some areas due to God knows what stuff they put on the roads...
This is an international forum, so one will have to swallow a little criticism once in a while.

Edit. In all fairness, I have to add that a lot of German N-roads are nothing to write home about... Some of these roads are in very poor condition, au pair with Poland and Belgium, and unknown in the Netherlands.
I don't say they are perfect, cause they aren't but to be onest, they are not so bad(perhaps you have driven on local ones, which are bad). If you take a look on our map, you will see green colour(good and very good roads) dominating. Furthermore Polish institution responsible for N-roads network(GDDKiA) reposts that 60% are good, 20% are decent(not good, not bad) and 20% are really bad.

Edit: returning to German ones I believe that some part of N-roads are bad, but I mention fewer than in PL.

Last edited by Beck's; October 10th, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Beck's está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #4390
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
2) Why I use to enjoy driving a sporty car on bendy hills and get as bored as **** by driving on motorways...

I usually keep 110, best compromise time/fuel... and thus I don't need to check the speedo every five seconds.
I don't see all that pleasure in going fast on a motorway, you just have to floor it and keep the wheel straight.
I like to have the option. I have driven 110km/h on unrestricted stretches, just because I felt like it. I have driven 170km/h as well, because I felt like it. I like it that I can determine myself.

Fuel economy doesn't really bother me when on vacation.
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #4391
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A 10 kilometer, two-lane section of A98 opened in southwestern Germany today.
Three lanes are marked there in fact.
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #4392
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:

Their lanes are far wider though than here, I certainly prefer driving over a German N road with old suface over a Dutch ''duurzaam veilig'' ruimed piece of **** with speedbumps, inability to overtake, and roundabouts every 2 minutes.

The surface may be rough on german roads yes, but who cares, as long as it's not 10cm ( or more!) rut like in Poland or deep potholes. Basically, as long as it doesn't make my car slam into the tarmac or affect the handing it's fine imho .

The Dutch speedbumps everywhere are 10x worse than the average German N road. The last time I was in Germany and was driving over N roads and through villages that's the first thing I noticed: Nice wide lanes, and no anti car tripe like speedbumps, chicanes, concrete blocks, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post

You go from A to B much faster... The point is, why go slower when you CAN go faster. I prefer to save 10-15 mins of my journey than the money in fuel it saves me. 110 and below are sleep inducing speeds on a motorway imho, at a higher speed I find it easier to keep more attention to driving. The only reason I can manage driving at the speed limit on a motorway is with cruise control, if I don't watch my speedo for only a couple of minutes I usually end up doing vmax + 20 or more in no time... I don't want to watch my speedo, just what happens in front of me and my mirrors...

Last edited by snowdog; October 11th, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #4393
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

A1 Hamburg - Bremen

The 4-year widening of the Autobahn A1 between Hamburg and Bremen has officially been completed today. The 1930s Autobahn has been widened from 4 to 6 lanes for more than 70 kilometers. It is a successful example of a PPP project. Another PPP project is the widening of A5 south of Karlsruhe, or the remaining part of A9 around the Schleiz area.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #4394
flierfy

Quote:
The 4-year widening of the Autobahn A1 between Hamburg and Bremen has officially been completed today. The 1930s Autobahn has been widened from 4 to 6 lanes for more than 70 kilometers. It is a successful example of a PPP project.
How can you seriously call it a success when you don't know the condition of the PPP contract?
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #4395
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

It's finished a decade earlier than if the German government would have done it via state finances. I call that a success for drivers.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #4396
Road_UK
BANNED

It was needed, I remember how busy it was between Hamburg and Bremen when there were only 2 lanes. I also hated that road when the widening was taking place.
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #4397
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

Very good news indeed! The remaining bit from Bremen to Cologne is being widened too, isn't it?
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #4398
flierfy

Quote:
It's finished a decade earlier than if the German government would have done it via state finances. I call that a success for drivers.
At the expense of higher costs for the taxpayers. That's barely a success.
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #4399
darko06

Likes (Received): 149

Why not driving fast at six-laned motorways in the country where 99% of drivers are disciplined? Two weeks ago I drove from Leipzig to Berlin (A9). From the interchange Dessau Ost to the Berliner Ring there was tempo 160 kmh in the right lane, 180 kmh in the central lane and more than 200 kmh in the left lane. Okay, there was no trucks at this time (it was Saturday afternoon). It was interesting to see cars with Italian register plates driving 200 kmh.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #4400
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8964

Another great news for all Autobahn lovers:

The construction of the next stretch of the A100 in Berlin can start!

This will be the most expensive Autobahn stretch in Germany´s history!

Quote:
Court okays contentious Berlin motorway

10 Oct 2012

A German court has given the green-light for the controversial extension project on the A100 motorway in Berlin. The federal court in Leipzig dismissed the claims against the ongoing construction, but imposed a few conditions.

The Federal Administrative Court on Wednesday rejected four lawsuits against the controversial project. But it said the Berlin parliament would need to do more to reduce the noise pollution for nearby residents, Berlin's Der Tagesspiegel reported.

Berlin's mayor Klaus Wowereit welcomed the verdict.

"I am excited about this unambiguous verdict, which provides clarity for the A100," he said. Wowereit said it was good for the economic development of the city that the judges had backed the Senate's position.

The court approved of the objectives of the motorway's construction, which include the relieving traffic in Berlin's centre.

The construction of the 3.2-kilometre section is estimated to cost between €452 million and €475 million - making it one of the most expensive stretches of motorway in Germany. The funding is expected to come from the federal government.

The extension has been a contentious issue in Berlin for some time and the subject of much wrangling between Wowereit's Social Democrats (SPD) and the Green party, who opposed construction.

In October 2011, coalition talks between the SPD and the Greens in Berlin fell apart over the issue, prompting the SPD to form a coalition with the Christian Democrats in order to proceed with construction plans.

The Local/sh
The stretch named as "16. Bauabschnitt" can be built now!
What Is Love?

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; October 12th, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau