daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #4401
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

Great news.
When will the reconstruction of A115 (formerly AVUS) be finished?
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #4402
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko06 View Post
Why not driving fast at six-laned motorways in the country where 99% of drivers are disciplined? .
And which country would that be?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #4403
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
And which country would that be?
The Netherlands of course .

Okay, I don't even believe that myself...
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #4404
Road_UK
BANNED

Well, the Dutch certainly seem to be more lane disciplined than the Germans. Used to be the other way round. I wish some people, especially the ones from eastern Europe would stop idealizing the Germans and their motorways. Speed isn't everything, and a lot of autobahns in the Heimat are lacking behind on those in other countries. Lack of hard shoulders on some is one thing...
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #4405
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8960

Quote:
Great news.
When will the reconstruction of A115 (formerly AVUS) be finished?

It is planned to finish this modernization at the end of this year. That´s 10 months earlier than previously planned.

SOURCE (in German)

PICTURES from the whole construction site on the A115 (AVUS).
What Is Love?

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; October 12th, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #4406
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

EDIT: This is for Road_UK.

Re "speed isn't everything": a few posts back, someone was talking about an Autobahn where the slowest lane moves at 160 km/h. My first reaction was, oh, great. I'm not comfortable above 80 mph (130ish?), not that I've ever driven in a place where that's legal, and perhaps my discomfort is because I've never driven in a place where that's legal, but I'm really not eager to try a road where doing 130 in the slow lane would make others perceive me as an annoyance....

Although far be it from me to assume that any given road in Germany at any given time is likely to include others who'd like to be allowed to drive at below 160 (or, frankly, who shouldn't be driving 160, if only because they're not used to it).

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #4407
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
...I wish some people, especially the ones from eastern Europe would stop idealizing the Germans and their motorways. Speed isn't everything, and a lot of autobahns in the Heimat are lacking behind on those in other countries....
Not just Eastern Europeans. (Linguistic pet peeve: Americans who say "the Autobahn," as if there's only one.)

But what's the Heimat?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #4408
Road_UK
BANNED

It's German for home country, or fatherland. Germans who are proud of their country (and why shouldn't they be? Life goes on) refer to their country as their "Heimat". Same as Austrians, and the Tyrolians include the word Heimat in their folksongs a lot.
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #4409
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

Re "speed isn't everything": a few posts back, someone was talking about an Autobahn where the slowest lane moves at 160 km/h. My first reaction was, oh, great. I'm not comfortable above 80 mph (130ish?), not that I've ever driven in a place where that's legal, and perhaps my discomfort is because I've never driven in a place where that's legal, but I'm really not eager to try a road where doing 130 in the slow lane would make others perceive me as an annoyance....

Although far be it from me to assume that any given road in Germany at any given time is likely to include others who'd like to be allowed to drive at below 160 (or, frankly, who shouldn't be driving 160, if only because they're not used to it).
I fully agree with you. I can't think of any autobahn where the slowest speed on the inside lane is moving at 160, unless of course it was night time or early Sunday morning. Freight traffic is limited to 80 km/h, and not all Germans drive fast. In fact, I think the majority will not exceed 140/160.
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #4410
darko06

It is also true that when the speed limit occured (120 km, that was before Dessau on about 5 km long stretch) all drivers slowed down to 120 regardless of lane where they were driving. Again, that was at Saturday afternoon.
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #4411
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
It is also true that when the speed limit occured (120 km, that was before Dessau on about 5 km long stretch) all drivers slowed down to 120 regardless of lane where they were driving. Again, that was at Saturday afternoon.
Yes, and then they don't move to the inside lane, and hog overtaking lanes. Is this the only time you have driven in Germany? You should do the A3 Köln-Nürnberg, or cruise around Munich or Hamburg, and see how disciplined they are. (not) --And they are a quite a few who do not obey speed limits. Same as anywhere else. Others drive too damn slow. Same as anywhere else.

There is no country in the world where 99% of drivers are disciplined. And Germany doesn't even come close. Used to, but these times are long gone.
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #4412
darko06

Two years ago I drove on A6 from Czech border to Autobahnkreuz with A7 and then on A7 to Ulm. From Czech border to Autobahnkreuz with A3 (and this part is only a four laned Autobahn) the tempo was 150 to 160 kmh . In working area speed limit was 100 kmh, and it was obeyed. The A7 had more speed limitations, on my opinion because of the pavement which is I assume 30-35 years old. From Ulm to Munich there were works on widening the old A9, on widened parts people usually drive 150 to 160. However, the A9 from Munich to Salzburg was major obstacle, traffic jams started 15 to 20 km before the Inntalautobahndreieck, and the rest after that Dreieck is an old and narrow yet repaved Reichsautobahn without hard shoulders and with speed limit of 120 kmh.
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #4413
darko06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post

It is planned to finish this modernization at the end of this year. That´s 10 months earlier than previously planned.

SOURCE (in German)

PICTURES from the whole construction site on the A115 (AVUS).
Thanks.
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #4414
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Quote:
... the A9 from Munich to Salzburg was major obstacle, traffic jams started 15 to 20 km before the Inntalautobahndreieck, and the rest after that Dreieck is an old and narrow yet repaved Reichsautobahn without hard shoulders and with speed limit of 120 kmh.
I think you mean the A8.
And yes, I hate it, I even made some calculations, in summer, if you don't drive at night or very early in the morning, you're better off, driving on national and regional roads. The time is aprox the same, but at least you don't torture yourself and your car with stop and go.
Can you imagine Ingolstadt - Prien am Chiemsee in 4h30min. I surely can, when I actually arrived in Prien I barely caught the last 2 ships towards the Herreninsel, but for Fraueninsel there was no more time.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #4415
darko06

Thanks for correcting me.
Of course it was A8, all the way from Ulm to the Austrian border.
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #4416
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

Re "speed isn't everything": a few posts back, someone was talking about an Autobahn where the slowest lane moves at 160 km/h.
I don't think that happens very often in Germany. Most people drive under that speed. And trucks can't go faster than 90 km/h. It may be difficult to see somebody driving under 160 km/h in the fast lane under certain conditions, but driving in Germany is not that crazy.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #4417
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Maybe it'd better if we move here our chat about highway speed

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #4418
thun

Quote:
Thanks for correcting me.
Of course it was A8, all the way from Ulm to the Austrian border.
No. There certainly war a section of A99 (Munich orbital) inbetween. Or a stretch of Munich city streets.
Old October 13th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #4419
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
I can't think of any autobahn where the slowest speed on the inside lane is moving at 160, unless of course it was night time or early Sunday morning.
A5 between Frankfurt and Darmstadt (4+4), A3 between Frankfurt and Hanau (part 4+4). Pretty regularly on both on the second lane from the left, i.e. overtakable. During the day. A6 bypass around Mannheim (3+3) occasionally too, outside rush hour. Probably couple others too.

Quote:
Yes, and then they don't move to the inside lane, and hog overtaking lanes.
Speed limits still apply to all lanes equally.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #4420
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

The last days, the widening of another part of A3 near Würzburg (Randersacker - Biebelried) was finished.
And the first section of the "reconstruction" of A4 in Hesse was opened. This reconstruction includes adding of shoulders, realignment of some sections and adding of additional 3rd uphill lanes (more than 60% of each direction will get this 3rd lane, so it's more like a 5-6 lane widening of this Autobahn). In fact, the 'reconstruction' of this new section somehow was a true 6 lane widening but payed from funds for reconstructions and not for widenings...
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau