daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #4561
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

High on my wishlist for Germany. It would make Zwolle - Bremen possible in just 2 hours. For long-distance traffic however, A30-A1 via Osnabrück is still a fast route. But B213 has one of the highest truck shares in Germany, with as much as 40%. All village thoroughfares have been eliminated though. I only take this route during weekends because then it's free of trucks. Passing is not safely possible on most of the route due to curvature, sightlines and fairly heavy traffic.

The Hasetalautobahn was planned in the 1970s, but it may still be constructed as an Autobahnähnliche Straße (motorway-like road). Only the section between the border and A31 and around Cloppenburg is currently a 4-lane highway. Some very small parts have 2+1 lanes, but most is a two-lane road with traffic lights.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #4562
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnette View Post
Can anybody show me details of the project of [A30] overpass in Bad Oeynhausen?
http://binged.it/U5G23e
The first section from AS Bad Oeynhausen-Nord (L772) to AS Bad Dehme (future B61) will be opened end of 2013 (about 1,7km). The other twp sections will be opened in 2016.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #4563
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnette View Post
And what about E233 road (A37)NL/DE(402) border - Meppen - Cloppenburg - Bremen reconsruction situation?
http://bit.ly/12Ul77f
The last sentence of the article "Etwa im Jahr 2015 könnte mit dem Ausbau der 83 Kilometer langen Strecke begonnen werden." means, that the construction could start perhaps in 2015.

I guess this is not realistic. In best case the construction of the first section will start in 2018.
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #4564
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The first section from AS Bad Oeynhausen-Nord (L772) to AS Bad Dehme (future B61) will be opened end of 2013 (about 1,7km). The other twp sections will be opened in 2016.
Geez, talk of slow-moving works. It is not like they are tunneling under the Harz...
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #4565
homeway

Likes (Received): 0

hi Folks,

Im planning a route from Wien to Wetzlar in late January.
Im pretty shure You know which Autobahnen are congested and which have less traffic.
Can You plz suggest which Autobahnen should I choose to avoid heavy traffic if possible to do the fly?

Thanx
homeway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #4566
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

There aren't many alternatives not taking you for a long detour.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #4567
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The only real alternative is simply to follow A3 all the way to Aschaffenburg and then A45. There is not really that much congestion on regular days on that route, since several roadworks between Würzburg and Aschaffenburg were completed last year. There are not really any alternatives worth considering, even the smallest Autobahn detour via Bamberg - Fulda - Hattenbach already adds 50 kilometers to your trip.
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #4568
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Maybe he can avoid Frankfurt by taking A7 in Würzburg and A5 in Bad Hersfeld, adding "only" 40 km. It could be worth depending on traffic in A45.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #4569
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The southern part of A45 has the lowest traffic volumes of the entire route, mostly 30 000 - 40 000 vehicles per day. It's not really worth avoiding for traffic reasons.
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #4570
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The only real alternative is simply to follow A3 all the way to Aschaffenburg and then A45. There is not really that much congestion on regular days on that route, since several roadworks between Würzburg and Aschaffenburg were completed last year. There are not really any alternatives worth considering, even the smallest Autobahn detour via Bamberg - Fulda - Hattenbach already adds 50 kilometers to your trip.
Even though A3 is my favorite route through cross country Germany, I'd still avoid it when traveling on Saturdays in wintertime when they have the big change in the Alps, and the entire route between Cologne and Austria is virtually congested both ways. Yesterday they have had mega problems particularly around Nürnberg, Würzburg and Munich. I know, I was in it myself, and traffic information reporters on the radio were reading out novels.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #4571
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeway View Post
Im planning a route from Wien to Wetzlar in late January.
Im pretty shure You know which Autobahnen are congested and which have less traffic.
There is no alternative to the A3/A45 except there is a total closure.

The AADT is only ~60.000 vehicles per day on the four-lane sections, and ~75.000 on the six-lane sections near Nürnberg, Würzburg and Aschaffenburg. The traffic on the A45 is less than on the A3.

There are also no "big" constructions. The next "big" construction (widening to six lanes) will start this spring.
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #4572
homeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Even though A3 is my favorite route through cross country Germany, I'd still avoid it when traveling on Saturdays in wintertime when they have the big change in the Alps, and the entire route between Cologne and Austria is virtually congested both ways. Yesterday they have had mega problems particularly around Nürnberg, Würzburg and Munich. I know, I was in it myself, and traffic information reporters on the radio were reading out novels.
Thank You all for replying

to Road_UK:
You wrote that in Winter on weekends, especially on Saturdays there are congestions on A3.
So You say that it is strongly recommended to travel on weekdays this time of year?

All You say that A3/A45 Autobahnen have average or low traffic and have no major reconstructions. This is very useful information.

I have some other questions:
Does A3 or A45 have any speed limitations?
Plz guys if You can give me info which sections have speed limits.
And ... what do you think about (if on no speed limit sections) that Im planning driving around 150-160 km/h?
Do you consider this speed reasonable for long hours driving keeping it constantly?
What do you know about passenger cars' average speed on this route?
Are there a lot of drivers speeding around 200 km/h or anything like that?
Will I be able to keep the planned speed or due to A3/A45 are only 2+2 profile I will have to pass trucks almost all the time and because of other sedans with significantly higher speed I will change lanes a lot?

Thank You for helping!
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #4573
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:

Thank You all for replying

to Road_UK:
You wrote that in Winter on weekends, especially on Saturdays there are congestions on A3.
So You say that it is strongly recommended to travel on weekdays this time of year?
That's right. I'd say Sundays is probably the best day to travel when you miss out on freight and most of the tourist traffic. Saturday is when people come and go from and to the ski resorts in the Alps, resulting in extremely heavy traffic on all through routes from and to the north, particularly the A3.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #4574
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:

I have some other questions:
Plz guys if You can give me info which sections have speed limits.
And ... what do you think about (if on no speed limit sections) that Im planning driving around 150-160 km/h?
Do you consider this speed reasonable for long hours driving keeping it constantly?
What do you know about passenger cars' average speed on this route?
Are there a lot of drivers speeding around 200 km/h or anything like that?
Will I be able to keep the planned speed or due to A3/A45 are only 2+2 profile I will have to pass trucks almost all the time and because of other sedans with significantly higher speed I will change lanes a lot?

Thank You for helping!
This is a helpful map:
http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/Limitkarte.pdf
Legend:
http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/LegendeLimit.pdf
it's from 2009 though, but it won't have changed much since then.

Normally, you should be able to drive comfortable at your wished speed for most parts. Only section to take more care imo is the looong 2x2-stretch between Nürnberg and Würzburg, the left lane can be very packed there.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #4575
ajch

Likes (Received): 75

From a holiday trip past end of year to Köln, Bonn, Düsseldorf

photos taken 31th December in the morning, going from Köln to Bonn (A555) and later returning to Düsseldorf (A45)

ajch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #4576
homeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
This is a helpful map:
http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/Limitkarte.pdf
Legend:
http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/LegendeLimit.pdf
it's from 2009 though, but it won't have changed much since then.

Normally, you should be able to drive comfortable at your wished speed for most parts. Only section to take more care imo is the looong 2x2-stretch between Nürnberg and Würzburg, the left lane can be very packed there.
thanx

I have checked die Limitkarte.pdf
It really says almost the entire A3/A45 is no speed limit, except some urban sections.
However there is a weird thing about this map, it has sections with speed limit data not available (colored grey), which I don't understand. How could not a map maker have information covering all sections? Is there any other source for getting info about missing sections?

When a speed limited section ends what roadsign does tell the driver that "fun is back"? Do they use for this purpose the standard "all limitations end" sign, you know the white circle crossed a black diagonal?

And of course ... when some is speeding "at will" how many Hinweisschilder or forecast signs do they give and at what distances before getting to the "real" beginning of the speed limited section? You know what I'm talking about, is there any forecasting sign system (counting down for example 1000m to ... then 500m to ... then start of the signed section) to tell you in time that you should gently hold your horses back in order to have a civilized braking maneuver?

Last edited by homeway; January 7th, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #4577
muc

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
However there is a weird thing about this map, it has sections with speed limit data not available (colored grey), which I don't understand. How could not a map maker have information covering all sections?
It looks to me like this map was not made by a commercial map maker but just by some Autobahn enthusiast as a hobby. He might indeed not have had all information. Also some stretches might have been under construction for repair or upgrade at the time the map was made (e.g. A8 Munich-Augsburg) and it was not clear what the speed limits would be afterwards.

Quote:
When a speed limited section ends what roadsign does tell the driver that "fun is back"? Do they use for this purpose the standard "all limitations end" sign, you know the white circle crossed a black diagonal?
Correct. There is also a variation of this sign which also has the speed limit being cancelled written in grey on it.

Quote:
And of course ... when some is speeding "at will" how many Hinweisschilder or forecast signs do they give and at what distances before getting to the "real" beginning of the speed limited section? You know what I'm talking about, is there any forecasting sign system (counting down for example 1000m to ... then 500m to ... then start of the signed section) to tell you in time that you should gently hold your horses back in order to have a civilized braking maneuver?
Usually there is no prior warning. Whatever speed you go you are supposed to look ahead far enough to react to speed limit signs in time.
Only for very low speed limits like 80km or 60km (e.g. for road construction) they will usually slow you down gradually.
muc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #4578
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17391

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajch View Post

photos taken 31th December in the morning, going from Köln to Bonn (A555)
It`s the oldest motorway in Germany, which was rebuilt to 2x3?
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #4579
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Coming from the austrian border there's several stretches of speed limits. One past Passau (120 and 100), one past Regensburg (also 120 and 100) and a rather long one past Nürnberg (120). There used to also be a long construction area past Würzburg but I think they are done by now so I don't know if there's a limit now or not, likely there is.

However, as long as you stay less than 20 kmh over the speed limit they'll never even bother pulling you over anyways or bother sending you a camera pic. My experience anyways
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #4580
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Einhausung Köln-Lövenich. They finished this with 2x3 lanes in late December.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau