daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #4621
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

A9 Holledau( A93) - Munich . Recording: Febuary 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4AByPHJef4

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #4622
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

A 5 km section of the B101 expressway between Berlin and Luckenwalde was opened for traffic today, see map. A 2nd carriageway was added and the existing carriageway was rebuilt during the last 2,5 years. Now it is 2x2. Costs: 20 million €. Here a up-to-date video from last weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJBlspGh4qk. The new section begins at 7:15.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #4623
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

A46

The A46 is currently being extended east, which includes a large valley viaduct (Talbrücke) near Nuttlar.

Some photos by Ironforester.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

RipleyLV, Pansori, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 01:56 PM   #4624
kiat7272

Likes (Received): 1

is there any speed limits in Autobahn?
because I heard it has no speed limits...
kiat7272 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:03 PM   #4625
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiat7272 View Post
is there any speed limits in Autobahn?
because I heard it has no speed limits...
There's no general speed limit but of course there are stretches that are limited constantly or when conditions (traffic density and/or weather usually) demand it.
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:56 PM   #4626
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

There is also the so called "advised speed limit", in German "Richtgeschwindigkeit", of 130 km/h. If no other limit is posted, you can drive as fast as you want. But if you have an accident, you will be persecuted even if you didn't make any other mistake.

Some Germans also think that they have right-of-way when they use the left lane with high speeds. In a situation where the right lane is densely used by trucks etc. (avg. speed around 90 km/h in reality), it is of course legal to overtake with at least 110 km/h. So relatively slow car can use the left lane for many kilometers, given the high density of truck traffic on some stretches of the Autobahn.

Some drivers get impatient in such cases, since they think it is their right to drive at high speeds. This lack of intelligence is often very visible to the outside, because it correlates with the brand of the automobile; Audi, BMW, sometimes Mercedes, often enough Volkswagens (company cars!) and of course douchemobiles like Porsche etc.

MichiH, SturmBeobachter liked this post
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 10:44 PM   #4627
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqaszar View Post
There is also the so called "advised speed limit", in German "Richtgeschwindigkeit", of 130 km/h. If no other limit is posted, you can drive as fast as you want. But if you have an accident, you will be persecuted even if you didn't make any other mistake.
My understanding is that persons driving faster than 130 km/h while involved in an accident:
- automatically bear financial liability and that insurance companies will not pay to such drivers (though insurance companies should pay to any other parties involved and not at fault)
- may be criminally prosecuted

I suppose the above might seem like persecution to some drivers. ;-)

Is that right?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:08 PM   #4628
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

That's what I've been told while living there. But my car hardly reaches 150, so no problems
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:26 PM   #4629
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

And most of the cars do not drive faster than 130-140 here. If you drive at 160 in the left lane, you'll overtake lots of cars.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:20 AM   #4630
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8959

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The A46 is currently being extended east, which includes a large valley viaduct (Talbrücke) near Nuttlar.

Some photos by Ironforester.

What a beast!!!

The Talbrücke Nuttlar will be the highest bridge in North Rhine-Westphalia after completition.

Length: 660 m
Width: 28,6 m
Height: 115 m
Costs: 35 million €uro
Construction time: 2009 - 2016

ChrisZwolle, Kampflamm liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:15 AM   #4631
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
And most of the cars do not drive faster than 130-140 here. If you drive at 160 in the left lane, you'll overtake lots of cars.
In Germany? Are you sure? I drove 160 on the left lane on the München-Garmisch and still creating queue behind me...
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:00 AM   #4632
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
That's not true.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:32 AM   #4633
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This is shown clearly at www.openstreetmap.org. Are there long-term plans to further extend the A46? If so, to where? Joining the A44 at Burghasungen seems logical, but it's only a guess. Are there any plans to join the two separate A46 sections?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:18 AM   #4634
Stahlsturm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
My understanding is that persons driving faster than 130 km/h while involved in an accident:
- automatically bear financial liability and that insurance companies will not pay to such drivers (though insurance companies should pay to any other parties involved and not at fault)
- may be criminally prosecuted

I suppose the above might seem like persecution to some drivers. ;-)

Is that right?
It's more complicated than that. If your speed was too high in any given situation (and that can be doing 50 as well) and you driving too fast was ruled as the reason for or contributing to an accident you can loose part or your entire insurance coverage for the damage you suffered.

If you drove recklessly and that causes an accident that may end up with you being criminally persecuted and some people end up in jail because of that.

Some people seem to think that on an Autobahn you can just switch off your brain and step on it. They couldn't be more wrong.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:21 AM   #4635
Stahlsturm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
In Germany? Are you sure? I drove 160 on the left lane on the München-Garmisch and still creating queue behind me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
That's not true.
If you drive 160 on the left you'll certainly pass a lot of trucks. On most stretches these days there's so many of them that you can only dream of doing 160 anyways.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:50 PM   #4636
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
This is shown clearly at www.openstreetmap.org. Are there long-term plans to further extend the A46? If so, to where? Joining the A44 at Burghasungen seems logical, but it's only a guess. Are there any plans to join the two separate A46 sections?
It doesn't make much sense to extend it any further than Brilon in my opinion. The current segment under construction will considerably relieve winter sport congestion from the Ruhr area to Winterberg. The current A46 terminus and following Bestwig / Nuttlar thoroughfare is always problematic.

An A46 extension from Iserlohn to Arnsberg was planned, but it seems unlikely to be extended further than Menden at this point. Nordrhein-Westfalen better spends money to preserve its existing network because quite a large number of bridges are waiting for replacement. They expect to spend several billions on it. NRW has the problem that it requires road expansion as well as numerous expensive bridge replacements, but there is not enough funding to pay for both, not to mention entirely new motorways.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:53 PM   #4637
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlsturm View Post
If you drive 160 on the left you'll certainly pass a lot of trucks. On most stretches these days there's so many of them that you can only dream of doing 160 anyways.
München-Garmisch has hardly any truck at all.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:48 AM   #4638
Attus

Quote:
Yes. Please note that if 70% of cars drives at 130-140 and 30% faster, than what you wrote is true, and what I wrote is true as well.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 01:15 AM   #4639
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Yes. Please note that if 70% of cars drives at 130-140 and 30% faster, than what you wrote is true, and what I wrote is true as well.
Figures are reversed. 70% drive faster than 150 and 30% slower. So what I wrote is true and what you wrote is not.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 01:22 AM   #4640
Attus

Quote:
OK. You say this and I say you're absolutely wrong.
And since none of us has relevant statistics, the best we can do is stop this debate :-)

Wilhem275, g.spinoza, MichiH liked this post

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau