daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #4741
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Is it common in Germany to start a road project without knowing if funding to complete the project in a reasonable time (3-4 years) becomes available? I read newspaper articles suggesting this quite frequently.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #4742
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Is it common in Germany to start a road project without knowing if funding to complete the project in a reasonable time (3-4 years) becomes available? I read newspaper articles suggesting this quite frequently.
Yes. That's correct.

The problem is, that the funding is linked to the federal government budget plan, which is discussed and passed every year .
We only have an "Investionsrahmenplan" (invest scope plan?) which is valid for a period of 5 years. The last one was passed in March 2012 and is valid from 2011 until 2015... This plan contains projects with a very high financial volume, but the budget is too small .
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #4743
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Talking of a small budget, according to Strassen.NRW, the 2013 budget for Bundesstraßen and Bundesautobahnen in Nordrhein-Westfalen is only € 760 million.

The Netherlands, with a slightly smaller population, has a 2013 budget of € 2.7 billion for the national roads (virtually all of that for motorways). The Dutch national road budget usually fluctuates between 2.1 and 2.9 billion euros.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #4744
MichiH

Quote:
Talking of a small budget, according to Strassen.NRW, the 2013 budget for Bundesstraßen and Bundesautobahnen in Nordrhein-Westfalen is only € 760 million.
The Netherlands, with a slightly smaller population, has a 2013 budget of € 2.7 billion for the national roads (virtually all of that for motorways). The Dutch national road budget usually fluctuates between 2.1 and 2.9 billion euros.
The Federal Ministry of Transport, Building and Urban Development (BMVBS) has a budget of 25.7 billion € for 2013. The budget for the roads is 5.9 billion € (including 200 million € from "Infrastruktbeschleunigungsprogramm II"). This includes everything regarding this kind of roads, also maintenance (2.5 billion €).

The "Bedarfsplanmaßnahmen" (projects of the BVWP for new roads and road widening) have a budget of 800 million €. 600 million € for Autobahns and 200 million € for Bundesstraßen (including bypass projects).
Old April 13th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #4745
MichiH

Further A44 projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
About 19km of the A44 Kassel - Eisenach (66km) are currently under construction, 4.3km near Hessisch Lichtenau are in service since 2005.
I've already told you something about the new Autobahn A44 Kassel - Eisenach, but there are also some further new A44 stretches u/c or planned in North Rhine-Westphalia.

The A44 is a continuation of the Belgian A3. It is crossing the A4 from the Netherlands to Cologne at junction AK Aachen. The 4-laned A44 ends 45km after the Belgian border at the A61 (junction AD Jackerath).

The following A44 stretch from Jackerath up to the former AK Holz was closed due to a expansion of the surface mine Garzweiler in 2005. The new construction of the A44 started in May 2012. This new Autobahn will be a replacement for the A61 between AD Jackerath and AK Mönchengladbach-Wanlo. The new 2x3 stretch has a length of about 10km (OSM). A new AK Jackerath will be located about 2km south of the current AD Jackerath. Also the AK Holz with the A46 will be totally rebuild. The completion is estimated for 2017. The 100 million € project is paid by the energy supplier company RWE. See official project page.

A 2km long trunk of the A44 follows after passing the A46. The 13km long eastern bypass of Mönchengladbach was planned in the 1970th, but the project was cancelled. A further trunk begins about 2km in front of the next junction (AK Neersen with A52). After passing the A57 at AK Meerbusch the A44 crosses the Rhin since a new tunnel was opened in 2002. The second junction with the A52 is the AK Düsseldorf-North. The A44 ends again 38km after the Mönchengladbach gap at AK Ratingen-East (A3).

The following 8.9 long Heiligenhaus gap is u/c. The plan approval order was passed in February 2007. As usual - it was challenged. In this case the order was also not res judicata, thus a addendum procedure was necessary. Due to the fact that only the compensating areas were criticized, the construction already began in April 2010. In the meantime same further complaints were submitted. In December 2011 the Higher Administrative Court (OVG) Münster stopped the construction works. Then the plan approval addendum order was finally passed in February 2012, and the works restarted (but very slowly). The project manager announced in March 2013, that the regular works are starting now. The completion of the first 4.9km long section from AS Heiligenhaus to the current A44 end at AS Heiligenhaus-Hetterscheid (OSM) is estimated for late 2016. The works on the last 4.0km phase between AK Ratingen-East and AS Heiligenhaus (OSM) will implemented between 2014 and late 2018. The both stretches contain 5 viaducts with a length between 129m and 384m. The estimated overall costs are now 222 million €. See official project page.

The AD Velberg-North (A535) is located 3km after the A44 has restarted. The following 8km long section was designed as A535, but it was renamed to A44 some years ago.

As a typical A44 characteristic the next 4km long gap follows. I noticed the latest discussions in 2009/10. The favorite variant was a 2.5km long so called Ruhrallee tunnel to connect the A44 to the A52 in Essen (OSM). The A44 traffic would be processed in common with the very busy Autobahns A52 and A40. The main problem regarding the gap is, that the existing B227 is a through-road of Bergerhausen. The estimated costs are more than 300 million €. The current AADT is about 65.000 vehicles per day.

There where also plans to build a new A44 parallel to the A40 between Velbert and Bochum, but the plans were definitely cancelled.

There is also an existing 9km long A44 trunk between Bochum and Dortmund. The section will be extended western up to AD Bochum-West. The Bochum beltway is currently upgraded to Autobahn standard (4.6km; OSM). Works started in June 2012. Also a new section is u/c since October 2012 between AS Bochum-Altenbochum and AK Bochum/Witten - the so called "OPEL Querspange" (3.3km; 53 million €; OSM). After completion in 2017 the current beltway and the current A44 trunk will be renamed to A448. See official project page.

The A44 southern bypass of Dortmund was also cancelled. The east-west transit traffic must use the A40 and B1 through the city. There are also plans to upgrade the B1 to Autobahn standard. The B1 is changing to A44 at the eastern city border, which goes to Kassel (150km).

You can also find all the plans in the Autobahnatlas.

pmaciej7 liked this post
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #4746
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6908

Guys, I have a little question. I'm planning a little road trip across Eastern Germany next month and realized I need to get an Umwelt sticker (the green one). I've been reading that it can be obtained at TÜV stations.

Those, as I understand are technical inspection stations. I just wonder how does it all work? Just go to a random TÜV station and ask for umwelt sticker? Does it normally take long and what are their typical opening hours?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #4747
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Guys, I have a little question. I'm planning a little road trip across Eastern Germany next month and realized I need to get an Umwelt sticker (the green one). I've been reading that it can be obtained at TÜV stations.

Those, as I understand are technical inspection stations. I just wonder how does it all work? Just go to a random TÜV station and ask for umwelt sticker? Does it normally take long and what are their typical opening hours?
If your car is registered in EU, you just show the certificate, they guy will read it and give you a sticker. Takes 10-15 minutes only.
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #4748
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:

I got the sticker at TÜV in Munich, for a foreign (Italian) registered vehicle. It took 5 minutes: I showed the car documents to the lady at the desk, payed 5 euro, and 5 minutes later I got my sticker. Easy-peasy.

Opening hours? I guess normal business hours, but I'm not sure.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #4749
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:

This should help: http://www.umwelt-plakette.de/foreig...f6fc1da2c06413

HOWEVER, if you only pass through one of these cities on a motorway you do not need the sticker. Motorways are federal roads and thus ALWAYS considered outside city limits, even when they go straight through a city like the A 100 in Berlin. And the zones where these stickers apply are created by local communities and their loaws only apply INSIDE their respective city limits.
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #4750
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Technically, the Straßenverkehrsbehörden responsible for the Autobahnen (= state or province departments) could issue a Luftreinhalteplan and order an Umweltzone on an Autobahn within its area of responsibility too. §47 and §40 BImSchG. It's just that no province or state has done that yet. I wouldn't see one as all that improbable for the Ruhrgebiet in the future for example. Most cities within it already are Yellow Umweltzonene anyway.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #4751
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
The Investitionsrahmenplan showing the entire federal transport investment budget for 2011-2015 is available for download here (5 MB PDF).

Table A2.4 shows which states are getting how much for roadbuilding. This includes all investments into A and B federal roads - listed under the state sections; for A roads its usually 3+3 widening for various sections, for B roads most projects are bypasses around towns. For the whole 5-year-plan, NRW gets € 3.1 billion, Bavaria € 3.0 billion, BaWü € 2.8 billion, Hesse € 2.5 billion, Lower Saxony € 1.7 billion and RLP € 1.3 billion - together 75% of the total federal budget (of about €20 billion in five years).

The 2013 budget of € 760 million for NRW is actually inflated because of the Infrastrukturbeschleunigungsprogramm, a one-billion measure to speed up certain investments that mostly applies the money in 2012 and 2013 only.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #4752
kmieciu
-_-_-_-_-_-

Likes (Received): 1869

Quote:

Try this , only 6 euro, on other websites you must pay over 20 euro or more.
kmieciu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #4753
Pansori
planquadrat

Thanks guys! That's helpful.

I guess I'll just use a TÜV station near Berlin. I don't even know if I'll really need to enter any Umwelt zone but perhaps it would help to have a green sticker nonetheless.

Another thing that confused me is standards applying to foreign vehicles. The car that I am going to drive, to my understanding, does not comply with Euro 4 standard (a 2003 or 2004 Citroen C3 Diesel). Are foreign registered cars with Euro 3 compliance allowed to Umwelt zones or does it have to be Euro 4?
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #4754
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Is it diesel-powered? A Euro 3 diesel engine gets a yellow sticker, not green.

Look at this document:
http://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.d...teninfo_en.pdf

Last edited by g.spinoza; April 16th, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #4755
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Is it diesel-powered? A Euro 3 diesel engine gets a yellow sticker, not green.

Look at this document:
http://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.d...teninfo_en.pdf
Yep, it looks like pre 2006 diesel engines are Euro 3 (=yellow sticker) which means no access to Umweltzone. However I read that foreign-registered vehicles which get a yellow sticker can still enter the Umweltzones because they are exempt until 31 12 2014 according to some sources.
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4756
thun

The official document linked by g.spinoza says exactly the same: You can enter with a foreign registration and a yellow plate.
Diesels with diesel particulate filters normally get a green plate. That should be mentioned in your cars documents. (And a 2006 Citroen should probably have one).
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #4757
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
The official document linked by g.spinoza says exactly the same: You can enter with a foreign registration and a yellow plate.
Of course it does. Pansori and I linked the same document

Quote:
Diesels with diesel particulate filters normally get a green plate. That should be mentioned in your cars documents. (And a 2006 Citroen should probably have one).
Not necessarily. My 2008-2009 Peugeot does not have the filter (but it's Euro 4, so green sticker).
Old April 17th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #4758
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

I wouldn't spend 10 euro on that sticker. I've driven around Germany with my Spanish-registered car (no sticker, though it would have the green one if I ordered it) and even parked in front of a police station in Ulm, and the police didn't seem to bother. Nor did they with other foreign-registered cars that did not bear the sticker.
Old April 17th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #4759
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

True. Entering city centres with or without that sticker is not very well enforced.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #4760
Pansori
planquadrat

I have realized I probably won't need to enter the actual zones and rely on public transport and Park&Drive system if needed. But I would love to do some city driving in Berlin just for fun. Anyways, thanks for the info guys. That will be useful.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau