daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #4841
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaciej7 View Post
I think this bridge (exit Marsdorf) requires immediate reconstruction:

I would say that this is probably an American WWII military transportable bridge, especially invented for fast replacements of then destroyed German steel overpass bridges on captured Reichsautobahns, to fasten American transport routes at the end of WWII. Because of the fact that Ausfahrt Marsdorf is situated in area first occupied by Soviets, I would say also that this bridge was probably situated in the area which was first occupied by the Americans (all Saxony westwards of Elbe/Torgau, after the Potsdam conference in July/August 1945 was given to the Soviets) and sometime in first decades after WWII relocated on its present place.

Tom 958, Deadeye Reloaded, mb92 liked this post

Last edited by darko06; May 6th, 2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Factual improvement
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #4842
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

A27 Bremen

Video of A27 through the city of Bremen.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

mb92 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #4843
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

A27 Bremen - Cuxhaven

Some photos of A27 between Bremen and Cuxhaven. This is a 2x2 Autobahn, both with asphalt and concrete, quality of which varies, the first segment of concrete appears to have been recently reconstructed and has excellent quality, however next is a stretch of new asphalt that is very bumpy and limited at 80 km/h for quite some time.

image hosted on flickr

A27-72 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-73 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-76 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-80 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-85 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-87 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-89 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-91 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-93 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-95 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-98 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-100 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-103 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-105 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-106 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-109 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-111 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-114 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-116 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-119 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-122 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-124 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-126 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-127 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-129 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-130 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A27-132 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH, mb92 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #4844
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8960

FREEDOM IS UNDER ATTACK (ONCE MORE)!!!

Quote:
German political party calls for lower autobahn speed limits

Opposing SPD political party pushes for 120km/h limit on all German motorways

Currently around 40 per cent of German autobahns are limited

Derestricted autobahns are emerging as an electoral issue in Germany. Sigmar Gabriel, leader of the opposition SPD party, is in support of introducing a 120km/h (75mph) limit on all autobahns.

Gabriel has cited accident statistics that show a lower amount of deaths and serious injury on restricted motorways as justification for the move. At present, 40 per cent of German autobahns have a 130km/h (81mph) limit imposed temporarily or permanently, and it remains a recommended limit on derestricted roads.

The SPD has made no formal policy on the idea and aims to consult provincial councils if the plan progresses. The Green Party in Germany has also suggested an 80km/h (50mph) limit on country roads, a suggestion on which Sigmar Gabriel refused to comment. However, an SPD-Green coalition has been rumoured if the SPD is elected to office.

Opposing the SPD and Green argument is Germany's automobile organisation ADAC, which believes Gabriel's argument is 'unsustainable'. ADAC spokesperson Andreas Hölzel told newspaper Bild that the current autobahn infrastructure in Germany makes for very safe roads. Despite being used for a third of German road travel, the autobahns accounted for just 11 per cent of Germany's serious traffic accidents and fatalities in 2012.

Hölzel was also keen to highlight that no comparison has yet been made between accidents on derestricted autobahns and those with a speed limit in place.

ADAC is therefore advocating the introduction of roundabouts to replace dangerous junctions and adding passing lanes to blackspot areas on minor roads. Its reasoning stems from the fact that 60 per cent of German road deaths occur on country roads.
What Is Love?

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; May 8th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #4845
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9720

OMG!
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #4846
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozenBDJ View Post
OMG!
That's certainly a good sarcastic reaction to either the masses of sirens that preceded the article, or craziness of the Greens.

120km/h is silly - the poor-quality autobahns have been refurbished, and as such there's little reason why 130km/h wouldn't be suitable. The Netherlands recently upped their limit to 130, the UK has toyed with it (though never taken the plunge to go from 114 to 128 - 70mph to 80mph) many times, and 130km/h is the current recommended speed limit. That said, there's little to be gained from mandating what is recommended here.

PS: Nice to see Banja pictures - spent 3 weeks there in 2007. Actually, that's the real reason for this post, mostly just to say 'cool'.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #4847
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8960

The drivers on German autobahns must keep their freedom to choose the speed they feel most comfortable with!

Example:
Citroen 2CV vs. Porsche 911. Both drivers enjoy their ride. No need to implement speed limits!
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #4848
-

It seems like Peer Steinbrück, the SPD candidate for Chancellor of Germany in the upcoming federal election, contradicts Sigmar Gabriel. The current situation is sufficient according to Steinbrück. So it seems Gabriel's proposal could be regarded as part of a campaign to please voters on the left side of the political spectrum.

This issue is an ongoing public debate, but there isn't a (political) majority who wants to impose a speed limit. Wolfgang Tiefensee (SPD), who was the Federal Minister for Transport in the grand coalition of the CDU with the SPD, suggested a few years ago that it would be good to reduce the carbon dioxide emissions by imposing a speed limit. In May 2008 the large coalition as well as the FDP rejected the introduction of a speed limit of 130 km/h.

Also the coalition of the SPD and Greens failed to impose a speed limit. Gerhard Schröder called Germany an Autofahrernation (a nation of drivers) to point out the fact that a speed limit would not be generally accepted by the public.

Even in the heartland of the German automotive industry, Baden-Württemberg, which is currently being ruled by a Greens-led alliance with the Social Democrats, were plans to implement a speed cap of 120 km/h on the unrestricted stretches of the Autobahn. But this didn't happen.

In contrast the support of left-wing politicians, there is also the important and powerful lobby of VDA (Verband der Automobilindustrie, a German interest group of the German automobile industry), AVD (Germany's oldest automobile club), ADAC (Germany's and Europe's largest automobile club), Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Volkswagen, Opel, etc. which oppose a speed limit. They and many Germans even suggest Freie Fahrt für freie Bürger, which could be interpreted like 'free speeds for free people'.

An overall speed limit seems not very likely, unless something weirds of remarkable happens the coming months before the elections.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post

Last edited by 909; May 8th, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
909 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #4849
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

I just hope this is a political stunt like always; driving fast on autobahnen is an issue too small to convince voters and a freedom too big to be suppressed.
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #4850
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It's not the first time that a high ranking politician has opted for this idea. What is that name again of that charismatic chain smoking minister in the Kohl administration? I think he even suggested a 100 kph limit...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #4851
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It's not the first time that a high ranking politician has opted for this idea. What is that name again of that charismatic chain smoking minister in the Kohl administration? I think he even suggested a 100 kph limit...
I suppose you mean Helmut Schmidt (SPD), the chain-smoking Chancellor of West Germany from 1974 to 1982. He proposed a speed limit on the Autobahn in 1979 as part of a campaign to reduce fuel consumption. This wasn't even the first time a speed limit became a hot item. In 1973, during the oil crisis, head of Ministry of Transport Lauritz Lauritzen (SPD) took the opportunity to implement a general speed limit of 100 km/h on the Autobahn. Following a campaign by ADAC and magazine Bild, the speed limit was subsequently withdrawn in March 1974 and marked the end of Lauritzen's political career.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #4852
Road_UK
BANNED

In the back of my mind I seem to remember the name Fischer in the late 80's or the beginning of the 90's.
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #4853
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
In the back of my mind I seem to remember the name Fischer in the late 80's or the beginning of the 90's.
Joschka Fischer, leader of the Greens, argued for a speed limit in the '90s. Later he became Foreign Minister and Vice Chancellor of Germany in the cabinet of Gerhard Schröder from 1998 to 2005. As we all know no speed limit was enforced by this coalition, but it seems to me the establishment of the Umweltzone was bargaining chip in order to please the left wing of the SPD and the Greens - quid pro quo.
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #4854
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

End of this summer there will be parliamentary elections in Germany. The socialdemocrats have quite a little chance to win, and now they try to do something, get some new idea that will get them some voters. However, I think, this one today was not quite a good idea :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #4855
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
Joschka Fischer, leader of the Greens, argued for a speed limit in the '90s. Later he became Foreign Minister and Vice Chancellor of Germany in the cabinet of Gerhard Schröder from 1998 to 2005. As we all know no speed limit was enforced by this coalition, but it seems to me the establishment of the Umweltzone was bargaining chip in order to please the left wing of the SPD and the Greens - quid pro quo.
Yep, that's our guy...
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #4856
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

This is just politics. Sure, a 120-130 kph autobahn limit could be imposed, but it wouldn't really change anything, and a lower limit won't ever happen, imo. I do, however, think that reducing the default highway limit from 100 to 80 kph is more sensible, posting a higher limit where the road quality merits such speeds.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #4857
Road_UK
BANNED

Hmmm... I think 100 will do the job just fine on these B-roads...
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #4858
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

On some of them, I agree. But as a generic limit, I think it's too high. I've stated on many occasions that road safety is paramount for me, and when it comes to undivided roads, speed is a real killer.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #4859
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
I've stated on many occasions that road safety is paramount for me, and when it comes to undivided roads, speed is a real killer.
The solution is quite simple: more Autobahns! It's remarkable to notice that those - especially the Greens - who want to impose a speed limit in the name of safety are mostly also the ones who oppose new highways and widening of existing ones. When it comes down to upgrading undivided roads safety is apparently not a major issue anymore.

MichiH liked this post
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #4860
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Yes, the only way to significantly reduce road fatalities is to build more autobahns. It's much more effective than reducing speed limits.

Deadeye Reloaded, MichiH liked this post
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau