daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #501
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

LPG is said to be the most environment-friendly, however the fuel consumption is much higher than a diesel car, and after about 200.000 kilometers, your car is about done, diesel engines last much longer, and the maintenance is more expensive with LPG. My dad drives LPG, but he said never again.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #502
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
LPG is said to be the most environment-friendly, however the fuel consumption is much higher than a diesel car, and after about 200.000 kilometers, your car is about done, diesel engines last much longer, and the maintenance is more expensive with LPG. My dad drives LPG, but he said never again.
Isn't there also an issue of supply of LPG fuel in certain countries? I can't recall seeing ANY LPG in the UK at all though (other than natural gas buses). LPG is present at most petrol stations in New Zealand though.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #503
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I differs from country to country, in the Netherlands and France, it's widely distributed, but poor in Germany and Spain and so on.

In the Netherlands, LPG fuel stations are not allowed in urban areas.
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #504
Raf11

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Yes, I know it very well. I think next will be nice turbo-diesel.

But try to imagine what my wallet feels when it's only half of price of gasoline

It's not a new car, so I can survive it by now.
Raf11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #505
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah i know what you are talking about, you have a full tank of gas for € 25.

But the taxes for owning a LPG-car are very high in the Netherlands, even higher than Diesel.
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #506
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4264

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
To say it exactly: In Germany, there is no general speed limit for all roads that are build like Autobahnen (2x2 or better) unless signs say something else. Therefore, on a Gelbe Autobahn is the same situation than on a normal Autobahn.
Are you sure? A gelbe Autobahn is still a Bundesstrasse just with more lanes. There can be traffic lights and all kind of stuff on it. I always assumed its 100km\h unless otherwise stated.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #507
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

That was my assumption as well, after all, "Gelbe Autobahnen" aren't really equipped with the Autobahn sign, which is a precondition to be allowed to drive as fast as you wish.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #508
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

hm...i have never seen a traffic light on a four-laned bundesstraße with this sign: (btw: i don't call it gelbe autobahn in everyday language, i say schnellstraße)

or i haven`t seen a traffic light unless this sign comes:

ps: and after reading a wikipedia-article, a schnellstraße is a autobahn-like bundesstraße with no general speed limit, but kraftfahrstraßen (the signs i posted above are referring to them) with one lane per dir have a 100km/h limit, with two or more lanes and separated carriageways (>schnellstraße), they are generally unlimited unless signs say something different. sometimes, even landstraßen are autobahn-like (L3004 in frankfurt and L124 in köln)
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #509
Verso
Islander

I wouldn't believe Wikipedia too much; I think roads equipped with the above sign, have a general speed limit of 100 km/h.
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #510
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

ok, let's take a look in the Straßenverkehrsordnung ("traffic rules")

http://www.verkehrsportal.de/stvo/stvo_03.php
Quote:
§3 Geschwindigkeit

(3)
Die zulässige Höchstgeschwindigkeit beträgt auch unter günstigsten Umständen
- 1. innerhalb geschlossener Ortschaften für alle Kraftfahrzeuge ... 50 km/h,
- 2. außerhalb geschlossener Ortschaften
- - 1. für Kraftfahrzeuge mit einem zulässigen Gesamtgewicht über 3,5 t bis 7,5 t, ausgenommen Personenkraftwagen, für Personenkraftwagen mit Anhänger, für Lastkraftwagen und Wohnmobile jeweils bis zu einem zulässigen Gesamtgewicht von 3,5 t mit Anhänger sowie für Kraftomnibusse, auch mit Gepäckanhänger ... 80 km/h,
- - 2. für Kraftfahrzeuge mit einem zulässigen Gesamtgewicht über 7,5 t, für alle Kraftfahrzeuge mit Anhänger, ausgenommen Personenkraftwagen, Lastkraftwagen und Wohnmobile jeweils bis zu einem zulässigen Gesamtgewicht von 3,5 t, sowie für Kraftomnibusse mit Fahrgästen, für die keine Sitzplätze mehr zur Verfügung stehen, ... 60 km/h,
- - 3. für Personenkraftwagen sowie für andere Kraftfahrzeuge mit einem zulässigen Gesamtgewicht bis 3,5 t ... 100km/h.

Diese Geschwindigkeitsbeschränkung gilt nicht auf Autobahnen (Zeichen 330) sowie auf anderen Straßen mit Fahrbahnen für eine Richtung, die durch Mittelstreifen oder sonstige bauliche Einrichtungen getrennt sind. Sie gilt ferner nicht auf Straßen, die mindestens zwei durch Fahrstreifenbegrenzung (Zeichen 295) oder durch Leitlinien (Zeichen 340) markierte Fahrstreifen für jede Richtung haben.

the bold part says, that speed limits also don't count other divided roads, not just the real Autobahnen.
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #511
Verso
Islander

^ Interesting. But then they should make a distinction on the general speed-limit sign with another category: (at least) 4-lane roads outside built-up areas, like in Poland.
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #512
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

not a bad idea

btw: I took some pictures of the Schnellstraßen around Koblenz/Neuwied/Andernach, limited to 50/70/100/120 because the roads are near built-up areas

B9 northbound

all pics here and here

B9 southbound

all pics here and here

B256 westbound

all pics here

B256 eastbound

all pics here

Thanks go to the owner of the Autobahnatlas for hosting them

Last edited by Patrick; January 8th, 2008 at 02:26 AM.
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #513
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Diese Geschwindigkeitsbeschränkung gilt nicht auf Autobahnen (Zeichen 330) sowie auf anderen Straßen mit Fahrbahnen für eine Richtung, die durch Mittelstreifen oder sonstige bauliche Einrichtungen getrennt sind.
This speed limitations doesn't apply on Autobahnen (sign 330) and also on other roads with lanes per direction separated by a median or other constructions (barriers).
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #514
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Diese Geschwindigkeitsbeschränkung gilt nicht auf Autobahnen (Zeichen 330) sowie auf anderen Straßen mit Fahrbahnen für eine Richtung, die durch Mittelstreifen oder sonstige bauliche Einrichtungen getrennt sind.
So in theory, a 1+1 or 2+1 road with a barrier has no speed limit either? Cool.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #515
thun

Yep. But I don't think you would find too much of them without speed limit signs.

2+2 Bundesstraßen are actually not that uncommon, e. g. in the north and south of Augsburg you can go on the B 17 and B 2 for perhaps 80km on them (thats the longest stretch I know).
thun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #516
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What about the Bundesstraße from Harzburg to Bernburg? (B5n or A36 or something?)
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #517
ren0312

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
Erbse[IMG]http://i16.************/89i5coj.gif[/IMG]loves ze German Autobahns!

[IMG]http://i3.************/6ykq80x.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i7.************/6tmo7qh.jpg[/IMG]

It's funky baby!
[IMG]http://i7.************/7wqgkzm.gif[/IMG]

Are you sure the last two are not Photoshopped?
ren0312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #518
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
schnellstraße
What's the name of this letter "ß" and how do you pronounce it? I think it sounds like a "B" and if it does, what's the difference?
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #519
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's the same as ss

Gießen -> Giessen for instance.
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #520
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren0312 View Post
Are you sure the last two are not Photoshopped?
Nope. Except that last one is from SE Asia.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau