daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #5221
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Is the 2+1 section also numbered A60?

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #5222
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The A45 was one of the greatest Autobahns I've ever driven! Only the current constructions and its speed limits are annoying! The A7 near Kassel is also amazing. I am looking forward driving there tomorrow , but I am in two minds: shall I drive on the A45 or on the A7? The A45 route is a little bit longer but the lot of constructions on the A7 are annoying...
For a second I thought you were talking about the Audi A7 and the Mercedes A45 AMG
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #5223
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Is there a rule to specify whether those military traffic signs are, or are not, placed on German highways, and where?
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #5224
cougar1989

Likes (Received): 102

I will show you some pictures from my Roadtrip trough the EU+EFTA from 15/07/13 until 19/07/13. The pictures from abroad you see it in the different threads.
A30 from near Bad Oeynhausen until the Border to NL.

cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #5225
cougar1989

Likes (Received): 102

Way back from Austria to Home A3 - A93 - A72 and B94

Moravian liked this post
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #5226
Balth
A big member

Likes (Received): 4

Hope you don't mind me asking here, but seeing as you're the experts I thought I'd try...

Anyway, I'm going to drive from London to Stockholm, probably on leaving on Monday night. The ferry arrives in Calais at 03.20 on Tuesday morning, and the ferry from Rostock to Trelleborg departs at 15.00 in the afternoon. That probably gives me about 10 hours to cover the best part of 900km, accounting for getting on and off the ferries. I'm sort of in two minds as to whether it's a feasible timetable. What do you say? I'm not shy of pressing the loud pedal, but I'm also quite conscious of the fact that I'd be hitting the rush hour pretty badly. In my mind I should be able to clear France, Belgium and the Netherlands before hitting the A1 and any subsequent traffic jams.
Balth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #5227
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

The Netherlands and Northern Germany already have summer vacation, so there isn't much of a rush hour. Tuesday is not a busy holiday traffic day. This trip is doable if no incidents occur, but I wouldn't waste time at service areas taking a long break.

Your biggest concern is Hamburg. There are roadworks going on at A1 where the motorway is narrowed from 3 to 2 very narrow lanes. Make sure to stay in the left lane there, because there is a frequent "LKW stau" or truck traffic jam which is stationary while the left lane remains free-flow.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #5228
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Google Maps says 929km and 8h15 which makes an average of 112 km/h. I would say that this is pretty ambitious.

Unfortunately there is no reasonable way to avoid Hamburg.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #5229
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Hi, I have a question. I read that motorways of East Germany were in very bad situation in 1990.

- Since the unification how much time it costed to repair all these motorways? (I speak only about existing motorways, not of the new built since 1990)

- Are any data of how much money has invested in the repair of these roads of East Germany?
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #5230
Heico-M

Drove on various motorways in these first vacation weeks and I think that all those caravans and mo-bile homes and once-in-a-year motorway-drivers slow down traffic considerably, also on weekdays. On the A7 today between Flensburg and Rendsburg, my average speed was 90.

So I think Balth's plan may be somewhat too ambitious.

BTW, I found the forbidden word: it's "m o b i l e"
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #5231
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Mobile.

If it's not caravans, it'll be lorries instead. Doesn't make much difference, and less traffic at peak times gives you extra time.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #5232
Heico-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Mobile.
Only forbidden to newbies then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
If it's not caravans, it'll be lorries instead. Doesn't make much difference, and less traffic at peak times gives you extra time.
True. But outside the tourist season, my average speed is much higher. Then I can reach the required 112 kph.

The worst thing is caravan setups at 70 kph being overtaken by a lorry at 85 kph on a two-lane carriageway.
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #5233
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Is the 2+1 section also numbered A60?
Yes, it is officially called A60 but it is not an Autobahn but a "Kraftfahrstraße" as you can see in the video at 2:35 and 2:39. Whereas the B28 south of Neu-Ulm is signed as an Autobahn.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #5234
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
- Since the unification how much time it costed to repair all these motorways? (I speak only about existing motorways, not of the new built since 1990)
It is not yet finished!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
- Are any data of how much money has invested in the repair of these roads of East Germany?
Many sections were renewed and widened to 2x3 lanes all at once.

Some examples:
The A2 costed 1.3 billion €: > click <.
The A4 costed more than 2 billion €: > click < (not yet finished, the section near Jena will be completed in 2014).
The A9 costed more than 800 million €: > click < (the section from Triptis to Schleiz is currently u/c).

I am not sure whether the costs are correct. I guess the costs are much higher!
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #5235
thun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is there a rule to specify whether those military traffic signs are, or are not, placed on German highways, and where?
You're talking about MLC signs? You'll find them at (nearly) all bridges in West Germany (the 2+4 treaty did forbid installing them in East Germany untill 1995 and they weren't installed ever since). They are slowly being removed though.
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #5236
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The A2 costed 1.3 billion €: > click <.
That includes the widening in Niedersachsen as well though.
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #5237
Heico-M

A7: Flensburg - Hamburg

The Rader Hochbrücke which crosses the Kiel canal has been closed for all truck traffic as of today. The bridge needs to be repaired which will take four months.

The most important bypass - through the Rendsburg canal tunnel on the B77 - has been under renovation for years and will be so for several more years. Currently there is only one lane for each direction. Thousands of trucks will have to pass this bottleneck. This will create chaos.

http://www.shz.de/nachrichten/top-th...n-problem.html

Political parties are contemplating the lack of renovation over the past years. The Green party in Schleswig-Holstein (part of the state government) claims that renovation should be priorotized over new construction - and is demanding to stop the widening of the A7 between Bordesholm and Hamburg!

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post

Last edited by Heico-M; July 29th, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #5238
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another viaduct that is crumbling is the A1 Schwelmtalbrücke near Wuppertal. It is closed to oversized trucks and the lanes are reduced from 6 to 4 to reduce stress on the bridge structure. It was built in 1960 and widened from 4 to 6 lanes by taking the shoulder away.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #5239
MichiH

+1

http://www.nrw.de/landesregierung/we...-und-b7-14746/ (OSM)

Another bridge on the A1 may only be used to a limited extent because of serious damage. The Schwelmetalbrücke south of the exit Wuppertal-Langerfeld, which crosses the railway and the B 7, is still partially closed. The Schwelmetalbrücke is a prestressed concrete bridge with a length of 209m.

The viaduct was renewed in 2005/06 in the context of the widening to 2x3. A recalculation of the bridge statics has revealed that the deficits are significant in two of the four sub-structures of the bridge. These deficits also correspond to visible damage. The viaduct requires immediate action. The viaduct must be replaced.

Instant actions:
• Blocking of requiring approval heavy traffic > 44t.
• Limitation from six to four lanes with diviation into more favorable position
• Ban on truck overtaking
• Speed ​​limit on 60km/h
• Minimum truck distance of 50m
• Daily fracture monitoring

Last edited by MichiH; July 27th, 2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Chris was faster...
Old July 27th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #5240
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Report by NDR of the bridge troubles near Rendsburg.

http://www.ndr.de/regional/schleswig...ruecke107.html

They not only closed the bridge to trucks, they also closed lanes, there is now only 1 lane each way, resulting in massive traffic congestion, there is a delay of 2 hours northbound and 1 hour soutbound at this time.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau