daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #5241
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Mobile.

If it's not caravans, it'll be lorries instead. Doesn't make much difference, and less traffic at peak times gives you extra time.
Caravans are generally driving at a much less continious speed than trucks are, which is quite annoying. Trucks generally stick to 85 - 90km/h in Germany whereas caravans drive about anywhere between 70 and 110km/h. The speed limit for caravans is officially 80km/h, 100km/h only when they're TÜV approved.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #5242
-

It's quite sad to see that a country, home of the "mythical" Autobahn and cradle of the automobile, has neglected its infrastructure so much. It looks like there is something fundamentally wrong with the attitude towards its roads, not only considering the closed crumbling bridges, but also because of the terrible slow construction of most projects, funding issues and ghostly unused construction sites. German politicians must acknowledge that not only infrastructure needs an overhaul, but also their attitude towards it. Perhaps they should look at the Netherlands where a couple of years ago the so-called Crisis and Recovery Act was introduced. This law was meant to speed up decision-making, allowing important projects to be carried out, without any delay caused by legal procedures in court or elsewhere. Also the construction of new roads and widening of existing ones is nowadays done much faster than in Germany.
Old July 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #5243
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

This religious obsession with German autobahns is nothing but a mythology. They're nothing special...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #5244
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8959

After all these negative news about bridges in Germany it´s time for nice pictures.

The Bahrebachmühlenviadukt on the A4 near Chemnitz.
PANORAMIC VIEW (MUST SEE )

Length: 235 m
Completed: 1871
Rebuilt: 1999 - 2003

image hosted on flickr
What Is Love?

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; July 27th, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #5245
-

Quote:
This religious obsession with German autobahns is nothing but a mythology. They're nothing special...
Hence the quotation marks. Though the lack of speed limits on some sections fuels the myth.
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #5246
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8959

The German Autobahn isn´t a myth - it´s a worldwide known LEGEND!

Tom Hanks fascinated by ze Autobahn! (0:40 - 6:00)
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #5247
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post
No surprise, he's from the States. he's used to crappy highways...
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #5248
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
It looks like there is something fundamentally wrong with the attitude towards its roads
Exactly!

btw: That was the intention for my comment in the Polish thread one week ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The German infrastructure policy is disastrous. It's a shame. How can anyone glorify it?
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #5249
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3h2Rw1mHew">YouTube Link</a>
Tom Hanks also said that life is like a box of chocolates...

Does he like impatient Germans, long delays, extremely bad roadsurface in places, ongoing and dragging roadworks etc etc...?
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #5250
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
Hence the quotation marks. Though the lack of speed limits on some sections fuels the myth.
I agree. I rather quite happily stick with 130-140 in peace in France than dropping down from 200 to 80 in Germany all the time...
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #5251
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
After all these negative news about bridges in Germany it´s time for nice pictures.
that's nice way of keeping the heritage in original shape.
we have similar thing here

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #5252
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Some snapshots from the center of Berlin:

Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #5253
MichiH

Quote:
The A1 from Leverkusen to Köln (OSM) was closed for trucks some weeks ago. The Rhine viaduct is decrepit and must be renewed. The new viaduct shall be widened to 2x4 lanes. There are discussions to built a tunnel below the Rhine instead of a new viaduct. There are also discussions regarding alternative viaducts to the south or to the north of the current A1 viaduct. Also a housing tunnel instead of the stilt brigdes in Leverkusen is proposed.
Some info about the A1 Rhine crossing b/n Leverkusen and Cologne.

The Federal Minister of Transport Peter Ramsauer visited the bridge last week: > click < (with pics).

Estimated time schedule:
- 2016 plan approval order
- 2020 completion of the northern bridge
- 2023 completion of the southern bridge (after demolition of the old one)

Costs: 220 million €.

The bridge was closed for vehicles > 3,5t for 92 days (December 2012 to March 2013). The economic harm was 80 million €.
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #5254
MichiH

Quote:
Some pics of the A8 2x3 widening from AS Karlsbad to AS Pforzheim-West (OSM) b/n Karlsruhe and Stuttgart.
Aerial pics: http://www.pz-news.de/foto_fotos,-Di...gid,10155.html.

Pics 4 and 8 are showing the realignment of the road near Mutschelbach/Nöttingen.

Pic 31 shows a traffic jam towards Stuttgart. There was an accident (33) near Pforzheim caused by a wrong-way driver.

The pics were taken on 25th July.
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #5255
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:

If this would represent how the average american experiences driving in Germany, I'd say: god bless the germans.

Are americans even allowed to drive here in europe with only an american driving license?
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5256
JimmyHD

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Says person from the U.K.

It's not a myth. Germany has the best autobahns, whether you like it or not! With all others superiority which Germany possesses.

Deadeye Reloaded, flierfy liked this post
JimmyHD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #5257
MichiH

Quote:
The last phase of the B246a Schönebeck bypass will be opened in August 2013. The new Elbe viaduct (1128.5m long) will be called "Schönebecker Elbauenbrücke", see press release. Viaduct costs: 39 million €. The construction of this 3rd phase was started in March 2010 and has a length of 2.7km (OSM).
The Opening cermony will be on 27th August.

The groundbreaking for the B466 Süßen bypass took place on last Friday (see press release - 2nd one). The 2.1km long road will be completed in 2017 (OSM). The costs are about 12 million €. More than 15,000 vehicles per day are using the current B466 through road of Süßen. The section is part of the B10 extension project. The plan approval order for 4 sections were passed in 1997. Section 1 (4-laned B10 Eislingen bypass) and 2 (4-laned B10 Süßen bypass) are already under service, the lately started construction is section 4 (2-laned B466 Süßen bypass). The missing section 3 (3-laned B10 Gingen bypass) is the last approved section. The next 2 projects, the 3-laned B10 Kuchen and Western Geislingen bypass and 2-laned(?) B10 Southern Geislingen bypass (tunnel) are still in preliminary design phase.

The new B301 from Hallbergmoos to Ismaning (OSM - next to the railway) will be opened on 30th July 2013. The construction of the 7.2km long 2-laned road was started in September 2009. The planning name of the road was "B388n". Costs: > 25 million €. The predicted AADT is about 20,000 vehicles/day (from project page but I've also read 27,000).
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #5258
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHD View Post

It's not a myth. Germany has the best autobahns, whether you like it or not! With all others superiority which Germany possesses.
Says a person living in Austria, living an hour from Germany, driving in Germany daily. Just like pretty much anywhere in Europe...
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #5259
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post

If this would represent how the average american experiences driving in Germany, I'd say: god bless the germans.

Are americans even allowed to drive here in europe with only an american driving license?
Of course. We're allowed to drive in America with our EU licence.
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #5260
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHD View Post

The German Autobahn network is good. The progess in the last decades was quite good. But nowadays the policy is a shame!

The planning laws are containing too many too expensive projects. The planning processes take too long. The standards for "alongside things" like ecoducts, bat bridges, bat tunnels, compensation areas,... are incredible. They make projects very expensive, and that is the main problem of the German policy: lack of money for the current and the future road network!

The big progess in the 1960th and 1970th means that most of that buildings must be replaced now!

All policians know that problem since many years but there is still no solution! The Bavarian CSU party wants to launch a car toll. The main argument is that the foreigners (like the hated Austrians and hated Dutch with their caravans) should pay our roads. The Germans shall also pay the toll, but it should be compensated by a lower motor vehicle tax. It is a shame how stupid Germans are!

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau