daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #5281
tool2106

Likes (Received): 1729

wkiehl101, mb92 liked this post
tool2106 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #5282
tool2106

Passing by Hamburg Haven:

Entering the Hamburg Port Tunnel:

Old July 29th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #5283
tool2106

After Hamburg, approaching almost the Danish border:

Old August 1st, 2013, 01:25 AM   #5284
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
If this would represent how the average american experiences driving in Germany, I'd say: god bless the germans.

Are americans even allowed to drive here in europe with only an american driving license?
Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
No surprise, he's from the States. he's used to crappy highways...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post
The German Autobahn isn´t a myth - it´s a worldwide known LEGEND!

Tom Hanks fascinated by ze Autobahn! (0:40 - 6:00)
I hope you guys realize that it is a comedy show and he is an actor.

I'm pointing it it just to make sure. At the end of day sense of humor is not the strongest point of Germany.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:23 AM   #5285
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I hope you guys realize that it is a comedy show and he is an actor.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #5286
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

I don't know, but a "hard" speed limit of 130 km/h would be best also for German autobahns.

Yesterday, this happened on A 95 / A 952 at Starnberg near Munich:

http://www.merkur-online.de/lokales/...m-3040140.html

The driver of a Porsche drove about 280 km/h at the junction at Starnberg, lost control in a curve and pushed a Toyota off the lane. The woman in the Toyota has dies in hospital, the 51 yeer old driver and another person in the Porsche have been seriosly injured.

On Thursday, I was driving on A 46 from Mönchengladbach to Heinsberg, when I wanted to overtake some trucks. I was doing a good 130, checked the mirror twice, also put a look over the shoulder (after a dead-angle-near-crash when I was a beginner 20 years ago I always do that). Traffic was not dense at all, the line was free as far as I could see, so I pulled over to the left. Seconds later I saw the headlights of a Volvo in the mirror, closing in fast. He obviously thought that I didn't belong on the left lane, doing only 130. He blinked and swiveled very nervously behind me, until I was able to use the right lane again -- after unbelievable 30 seconds or so, the time it takes to overkake two trucks with 40 to 50 km/h speed difference.

Maybe such a**holes wouldn't be stopped by a speed limit, but I still would feel safer.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #5287
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqaszar View Post
I don't know, but a "hard" speed limit of 130 km/h would be best also for German autobahns.

Yesterday, this happened on A 95 / A 952 at Starnberg near Munich:

http://www.merkur-online.de/lokales/...m-3040140.html

The driver of a Porsche drove about 280 km/h at the junction at Starnberg, lost control in a curve and pushed a Toyota off the lane. The woman in the Toyota has dies in hospital, the 51 yeer old driver and another person in the Porsche have been seriosly injured.
An accident at 280 km/h does not justify a speed limit of 130 km/h. It's completely out of proportion. Second, the Porsche driver should spend some time in prison for manslaughter and never, ever be allowed to drive again.

Quote:
On Thursday, I was driving on A 46 from Mönchengladbach to Heinsberg, when I wanted to overtake some trucks. I was doing a good 130, checked the mirror twice, also put a look over the shoulder (after a dead-angle-near-crash when I was a beginner 20 years ago I always do that). Traffic was not dense at all, the line was free as far as I could see, so I pulled over to the left. Seconds later I saw the headlights of a Volvo in the mirror, closing in fast. He obviously thought that I didn't belong on the left lane, doing only 130. He blinked and swiveled very nervously behind me, until I was able to use the right lane again -- after unbelievable 30 seconds or so, the time it takes to overkake two trucks with 40 to 50 km/h speed difference.

Maybe such a**holes wouldn't be stopped by a speed limit, but I still would feel safer.
Either 1) you should have overtaken at a more reasonable overtaking speed of 150 or 160 km/h or 2) you should have moved in between the two trucks after you saw that you were obstructing traffic or 3) waited until you could see a greater distance behind you. 30 seconds is way too long to be obstructing the overtaking lane. When I'm overtaking, my own rule is to never obstruct a faster vehicle for more than 3-5 seconds.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #5288
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

30 seconds is never to long to obstruct an overtaking lane if you're genuinely overtaking. I don't agree with any of your points. When the overtaking lane is clear, you have the right to overtake at any speed for as long as it takes. After overtaking you move back to the inside. That's how it works. Don't let any impatient **** force you to manoeuvre in between lorries when you're genuinely overtaking...

It's not a crime to be overtaking at 130 kph.

Kampflamm, Wilhem275, earthJoker, idnaidna liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #5289
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

If someone chooses to drive substantially faster than the crowd, then it's his problem dealing with cars driving a normal speed, not yours. As long as you don't go to the left lane at the very last moment, you are free to pass any truck.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

cinxxx, Deadeye Reloaded, idnaidna liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #5290
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It's not a crime to be overtaking at 130 kph.
Nor is anything the Volvo driver did a crime. There is a big difference between inconsiderate and criminal. On the other hand, the Porsche driver did commit a crime -- with the laws as they are today.
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #5291
Road_UK
BANNED

... or any other vehicle for that matter...
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #5292
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Nor is anything the Volvo driver did a crime. There is a big difference between inconsiderate and criminal. On the other hand, the Porsche driver did commit a crime -- with the laws as they are today.
The Volvo driver has committed an offence. It's aggressive behaviour. He should have kept his distance and let the author of the post in question do his overtaking until there's nothing left to overtake.
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #5293
mcarling

Quote:
The Volvo driver has committed an offence. It's aggressive behaviour. He should have kept his distance and let the author of the post in question do his overtaking until there's nothing left to overtake.
... IF (a very big IF) the Volvo driver was in law following too closely, which I don't believe has been established.
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #5294
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

... IF (a very big IF) the Volvo driver was in law following too closely, which I don't believe has been established.
Quote:
Seconds later I saw the headlights of a Volvo in the mirror, closing in fast. He obviously thought that I didn't belong on the left lane, doing only 130. He blinked and swiveled very nervously behind me,
Now that is aggressive behaviour.
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #5295
mcarling

Quote:
Now that is aggressive behaviour.
What constitutes aggressive behavior in your opinion (or mine) is not necessarily the same as what constitutes aggressive behavior in criminal law. You are very quick to accuse others of crime, when no court has made that determination.
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #5296
Road_UK
BANNED

In Germany it's a punishable offence to stick your middle finger up to someone in traffic. Swerving aggressively behind someone, continuously flashing your lights can cause a panic reaction, which is a recipe for a potential accident. It's not my own interpretation, it is in fact the law.

g.spinoza, Wilhem275, Attus, idnaidna liked this post
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #5297
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Nor is anything the Volvo driver did a crime.
Tailgating definitely is an offense in Germany. And judging by Alqaszar's comments, he was definitely far too close for comfort.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #5298
mcarling

Whether someone is tailgating or not is not defined in law by the comfort level of other drivers. Making other drivers uncomfortable is inconsiderate, but may or may not be legal depending on factors which are not in evidence here.
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #5299
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

The point is that if the Volvo is right behind you (which was the case if Alqaszar's account is anything to go by...and I'm sure most other drivers have been in a similar situation on the Autobahn since those nuts don't really keep a safe distance) then he is definitely tailgating, it's as simple as that.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Road_UK liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #5300
Road_UK
BANNED

Exactly.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau