daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #5321
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2081

A95 is also limited from Munich city to the Starnberg spur.

Are those permanent limits? I don't recall such strict limits in those stretches.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #5322
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

My planned route over A8-A9-A3-A7 looks to be in order. Thank you.

@g.spinoza: those limits were introduced because of high temperature that is causing certain (mostly older) concrete sections to blow-up with possible deadly consequences.

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/h...-a-906926.html
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #5323
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Not really accurate though. Apart from a set of roadworks, the A93 between Inntal Dreieck and Kiefersfelden is 130, unless they've changed it in the last few hours...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #5324
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Got flashed (speed control) on the A24 yesterday at a Baustelle. I was in the narrow lane on the left and passed a Polish trucker who started swinging and coming towards me, so I drove a bit faster to pass him and let go of the gas shortly after to let it return to 80. I was approx driving 90-95 at the time. Does anyone know the approximate (financial) consequences? Allowed speed was 80 at the time.

Also, It felt like the flash came from the side, right in the passengers window. I think there is no way it caught my front license plate. Could it have been a fake one to scare drivers? Thanks!
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #5325
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

About 25 or 35 €, if they even really got you. Maybe the driver isn't clearly visible or can't be identified properly on the photo...
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #5326
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Got flashed (speed control) on the A24 yesterday at a Baustelle. I was in the narrow lane on the left and passed a Polish trucker who started swinging and coming towards me, so I drove a bit faster to pass him and let go of the gas shortly after to let it return to 80. I was approx driving 90-95 at the time. Does anyone know the approximate (financial) consequences? Allowed speed was 80 at the time.

Also, It felt like the flash came from the side, right in the passengers window. I think there is no way it caught my front license plate. Could it have been a fake one to scare drivers? Thanks!
Well, let's see if they can identify you at all. By your description that's doubtful. Even if though, it'll be peanuts. As a general rule in Germany, don't go more than 20 over the speed limit and you're good because your fine won't be in the 3 digits and more importantly, you won't get points which, accumulated may cost you your licence.
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #5327
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

International drivers can get points from speeding in Germany too? Thanks for the info guys. In Holland they aim for the plates, in Germany for the driver? Weird!
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #5328
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

They do aim for the plates, if the flash came from the side it may have taken the driver behind you.

Just wait and see, if you did not do more than 100 then you'll pay like 25-50 €, if the even send the bill abroad.

I was caught twice with a Danish car and never heard anything.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #5329
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 232

Haha if the vehicle is not registered in any European territory, then IMHO, I'm not sure if law enforcement can do anything.

Case in point:
image hosted on flickr

P.S.
On another note:

BMW has a "European Delivery" program for buyers of M5 and M6 that live outside of Germany and likewise any European territory. Basically, buyers who avail of the program are allowed to take delivery of their vehicle and are allowed to drive it anywhere in Europe before returning it back to BMW (for shipping to your country of destination)

This is one example:
image hosted on flickr

Rossanezi liked this post
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #5330
Stahlsturm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
International drivers can get points from speeding in Germany too? Thanks for the info guys. In Holland they aim for the plates, in Germany for the driver? Weird!
International drivers can also have their licence confiscated and sent to their home DMV (that issued the licence) to do as they see fit. But they automatically loose their right to operate a moter vehicle inside german borders if that is done. If they are caught again that'd mean jail time since they have no legal address in Germany. It's a fickle matter.

German cameras aim for plate AND driver since one alone is worthless under German law. That is also why Germans don't have to pay when they are flashed from behind anywhere abroad and they are not immediately stopped for identification.
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #5331
Stahlsturm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Haha if the vehicle is not registered in any European territory, then IMHO, I'm not sure if law enforcement can do anything.
Well, technically they could but going after someone like that would cost exorbitant amounts of money and it's usually not worth the trouble unless murder and mayhem occured as a direct result of your speeding.
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #5332
Road_UK
BANNED

If you get flashed by a unmanned camera in the UK, they usually settle it with a fixed penalty and three points on your license. But they'll send you a form first to determine if you were the actual driver.
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #5333
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlsturm View Post
German cameras aim for plate AND driver since one alone is worthless under German law. That is also why Germans don't have to pay when they are flashed from behind anywhere abroad and they are not immediately stopped for identification.
I don't get it. If they are flashed abroad, it's local law they have to abide, not German. So they technically may have to pay, if local law requires.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #5334
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I don't get it. If they are flashed abroad, it's local law they have to abide, not German. So they technically may have to pay, if local law requires.
True. But the local authorities often think that it is not worth the trouble.
So if you are just 10 kph over speed limit, you are likely to get away.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #5335
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
I was caught twice with a Danish car and never heard anything.
Getting or not getting notification abroad (outside Germany) is also very dependent of who actually is in charge of operating the speed trap and processing the photos. Sometimes a single person like a town mayor is responsible and might not have the manpower to pursue more or less complicated and time-consuming "research" of owners and drivers based abroad. In other locations, it's a specialized company contracted by the municipality or city, these are much more likely to pursue foreign registered vehicles' infractions, too.

I already had a single-figure(!) speed excess fine mailed to Switzerland from such a company in Germany. They explicitly asked the local Swiss police officer to help identify the driver. The officer tried it, but I had no legal obligation to appear at the police station, and he failed to catch me at home
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #5336
Road_UK
BANNED

Not really. It more depends if a specific country has a treaty to exchange registration details with another country. France for example doesn't rat on its citizens, which is upsetting the Austrians who are desperately trying to pursue their monies owed by foreign traffic offenders.
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #5337
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

So much for Schengen.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Wilhem275 liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #5338
Road_UK
BANNED

Yes. When it comes to that sort of thing, Schengen is just a little town on the German border in Luxembourg. Nothing else.

You still pay through the roof using your mobile phone to call someone in a different country, even if the person is just 2 km across the border from you. And it costs you to receive an incoming call when abroad. But I believe they're going to cancel roaming charges within two years. (EU only, don't get your hopes up, Michael...)
Old August 9th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #5339
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Unfortunately, Switzerland is very co-operative with both Austria and Germany when it comes to handing out vehicle registrants' data (mutual agreements and Swiss attitude of not tolerating any traffic offense, even abroad). And there isn't even a language barrier.

Nevertheless, not all fines from Germany are sent over, since having the data does not mean they can force Swiss residents to pay (in fact they can't, there is no mutual agreement on that), so many authorities don't bother when it's a minor infraction only.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #5340
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Yes. When it comes to that sort of thing, Schengen is just a little town on the German border in Luxembourg. Nothing else.

You still pay through the roof using your mobile phone to call someone in a different country, even if the person is just 2 km across the border from you. And it costs you to receive an incoming call when abroad. But I believe they're going to cancel roaming charges within two years. (EU only, don't get your hopes up, Michael...)
I've been seeing headlines about the EU doing something about roaming charges for years. Saw one this week about roaming charges within the Benelux only. (And even that seemed to be a "are they about to end?" than a "they're about to end!")

Seriously, I'm hoping to be able to get over there soon and maybe drive a bit, which is why I jumped on OulaL's point in the other thread about taking rental cars across borders.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau