daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:21 AM   #6021
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
There are a lot of speed checks on German roads and Autobahns! About 50 percent of the German Autobahn network is limited.
So 50% is no checks, and rest is maybe checks, this is a good risk!

I accidentally drove 12 km through a 120 zone in Saxony mit vollgas, I misread the sign (120) ^12 km^ as zone 12 km ahead when it was really for next 12 km. But so far... no surprise in my mailbox. I know sometimes, in the forest they hide a multanova but...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:24 PM   #6022
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

A20 north of Hamburg

Quote:
Correct. See BVerwG press release. Two complaints were allowed, five complaints were rejected, one complaint was already cancelled by the complainer.
The Schleswig-Holstein Ministry of Transport also published a press release. The additional plan approval procedure will take at least 2 years.
Schleswig-Holstein Ministry of Transport: The speed limit could be limited to 80 or 60kph to save the bats.

Quote:
A lower speed limit would increase the opportunity of the bats to avoid hitting cars
The nature conservation organizations prefer bat tunnels. Bats also die in Segeberg by hitting a car driving 40kph.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:34 PM   #6023
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
There are a lot of speed checks on German roads and Autobahns! About 50 percent of the German Autobahn network is limited.
Yeah but the fines are reasonable, up to 10 km/h to fast and 10 euros iirc.
up to 20 to fast was 30 or 40 euros, still very reasonable!

And 50% limited means 50% is unlimited which is great, in my area in Holland, ALL motorways are pretty much 80 or 100 km/h ( I live near Rotterdam), 10 minutes away you have a 120 km/h stretch but the 130 km/h areas are nowhere near, let alone ''drive as you please'' ( which imo is 150-160 km/h for cruising).

For me the fact that I have to just watch the traffic, not my speedo, is very liberating, and always will be.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:54 AM   #6024
Kanadzie

Quote:
Schleswig-Holstein Ministry of Transport: The speed limit could be limited to 80 or 60kph to save the bats.

The nature conservation organizations prefer bat tunnels. Bats also die in Segeberg by hitting a car driving 40kph.
I guess it is my roots here in the New World, but... Bats? BATS?

There are bats here but I am not sure if there has ever been an attention on a road to protect bats anywhere on this side of ocean... or even heard of someone hitting a bat on the road (though we have all hit small birds probably, one colleague had one stuck in the VW badge and didn't notice until we pointed out her decoration) Mind you there seem problems with parasites or fungus in bats here, and that is probably biggest threat to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Yeah but the fines are reasonable, up to 10 km/h to fast and 10 euros iirc.
up to 20 to fast was 30 or 40 euros, still very reasonable!
Radar detector is nicht erlaubt though, and that isn't right...
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:51 PM   #6025
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
EU rules... See Poland: > click <.

The A20 plans have not considered the bats well thus the court annulled the plan approval order.

Quote:
Die Autobahn führt im Abstand von nur ca. 1,5km an dem FFH-Gebiet 'Segeberger Kalkberghöhle' vorbei. Dabei handelt es sich um das größte bekannte Fledermausquartier Deutschlands mit mehr als 20.000 überwinternden Tieren.
Quote:
The Autobahn passes at a distance of only 1.5 km to the FFH area 'Segeberger Kalkberghöhle'. It is the largest known bat winter grounds in Germany with more than 20,000 wintering animals.
Almost every Autobahn project is affect by bats (or some special birds).
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #6026
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Yeah, indeed.

@MichiH: are the bats really there or is it like in Dresden, where they almost had turned down the Waldschlösschenbrücke because of some rare bats of which not a single item had ever been seen?

NIMBYism at its best.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #6027
Kanadzie

Quote:
EU rules... See Poland: > click <.

The A20 plans have not considered the bats well thus the court annulled the plan approval order.

Almost every Autobahn project is affect by bats (or some special birds).
Yeah, I remember that thread. But... you would think being in Germany or Poland would be like an Alfred Hitchcock movie with bats attacking left and right, meanwhile I think I never even saw one while there

the fence must cost like 1 M Euro per bat collision avoided... maybe better to spray pesticide in the caves so the bats don't get sick (or similar thing...)
Old January 24th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #6028
jwojcie

Likes (Received): 4012

The reason is that bats are under strict protection in Poland. I guess things may be different in Canada because population density is lower there and there is much more wild life. In most of EU though, not much natural habitat left which is probably the reason why environmental protection is stricter (if it is, I don't know how this things are managed in Canada).
jwojcie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #6029
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Bats are not exactly the kind of animal I'd like to protect though. They might carry rabies and other diseases, and they don't have much use on the food web. They are more like pests IMHO.
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #6030
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

They eat a lot of mosquitos, they're much welcomed here I think I'll build them a nice house, next summer even if once one got into my bedroom and wasn't able to go out...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #6031
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
@MichiH: are the bats really there
I think so...

Quote:
It is the largest known bat winter grounds in Germany with more than 20,000 wintering animals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwojcie View Post
The reason is that bats are under strict protection in Poland.
Agreement on the Conservation of Populations of European Bats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I think I'll build them a nice house, next summer
I guess there are different kinds of bats but some of them are prefering to sleep in bell towers of churches or abutments of bridges. A lot of bats are even sleeping in an A3 Autobahn bridge near my hometown...
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #6032
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

There you have it, build more Autobahn bridges for the bats!

Wilhem275, mcarling liked this post
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 09:03 PM   #6033
MichiH

A7 Hamburg

Quote:
Quote:
Schedule for the Hamburg sections (only the northern one is part of the PPP), source (page 7):
- Schnelsen section (PPP; 2x2 --> 2x3): 2011-13 (PFV); 2012 (PFB); 2014-18 (Bau); OSM
- Stellingen section (2x3 --> 2x4): 2010-12 (PFV); 2013 (PFB); 2014/15-19 (Bau); OSM
- Altona section (2x3 --> 2x4): 2014-15 (PFV); 2016/17 (PFB); 2019-22 (Bau); OSM
The plan approval order was passed in late August 2013. The construction of the Stellingen section is announced to be started in March 2014 (> click <).

http://www.hamburg.de/np-a7-stellingen/ (many documents)
27 residents have taken an action against the plan approval order for Schnelsen section. It has no suspensive effect thus works can start in spring 2014.

The contract for rebuilding the "Langenfelder Brücke" (about 400m; Stellingen section) was signed today (see press release). Costs: 80 million €. Construction time: Spring 2014 to 2018.
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:51 PM   #6034
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Pictures of the A3 between Nürnberg / Nuremberg and Frankfurt, which is slowly but surely being upgraded to 2x3. You can find the pictures at larger sizes on Panoramio.

Old February 1st, 2014, 09:26 AM   #6035
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Nice pictures. I took that route yesterday and the remaining 2x2 stretches are really a mess due to the high traffic volume. Especially close to Erlangen.
Isek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:55 AM   #6036
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isek View Post
Nice pictures. I took that route yesterday and the remaining 2x2 stretches are really a mess due to the high traffic volume. Especially close to Erlangen.
The ABDNB (Autobahndirektion Nordbayern) plans to upgrade the u/c section b/n Kauppenbrücke and Rohrbrunn until fall 2015 (8km). The 20km 2x2 gap b/n Rohrbrunn and Mainbrücke Bettingen shall be upgraded from 2015 to 2018. The next 8.5km section (mostly in Baden-Württemberg) will probably be upgraded in 2018/19. The u/c section near Würzburg will be completed until 2019. So the 1.1 billion € A3 widening b/n Aschaffenburg and Würzburg will be completed until 2019.
The ABDNB don't want to speculate about the time schedule for the upgrade b/n AK Biebelried and AK Fürth/Erlangen (79km; 900 million €). A minor section (1km; 25 million €) west of Erlangen will be upgraded from spring 2014 (reconstruction of Main-Donau-Kanal-Brücke).

See press article from today.
Old February 1st, 2014, 02:19 PM   #6037
bewu1

The new German government is already in place. Are they already known new plans for infrastructure spending, if any ?
bewu1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 03:41 PM   #6038
piotr71

A7, Göttingen - Kassel

Recorded about 3 weeks ago.

Moravian liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 04:01 PM   #6039
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewu1 View Post
The new German government is already in place. Are they already known new plans for infrastructure spending, if any ?
No information.
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:48 PM   #6040
threo2k

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post

Recorded about 3 weeks ago.
have been on this road many times
threo2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau