daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2014, 10:19 AM   #6081
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Have you seen it in dynamic, electronic signs?
Yes.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #6082
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Yes.
These signs are usually not manually set, but automatically, through electronic traffic measuring. Simplified: the more cars are on the road, the lower speed limit is applied. If you have luck you can even see the signs changing (I've seen it already several times).
I have no information about that particular motorway, but such systems are usually full automatic so there's no one there changing the speed limits in order to make you crazy ;-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:07 PM   #6083
snowdog
Speed freak

I see, it was very annoying imho though, I was driving an electronically limited van, it took literally ages to get back to 130 after slowing down to 100, often I would just reach 130 and have to slow down to 100 again. ( stupid van wouldn't go faster than 125 km/h uphill, or 160 km/h downhill after a loooong 4% drop + slipstreaming haha, annoying limiter by rental company).

My opinion of the current status of the Autobahns and roads :

A30 : Lovely, only a small bit near Osnabruck had some Baustelle, they were replacing the barriers in the middle or so ?
A2 Bad Oeynhausen - Hannover : Busy but nice
A2 Hannover - Braunschwig: Rubbish, 100/130 km/h speed limits constantly varying, and 3 (!! on such a small stretch) speed traps.
Braunchschweig - Magdeburg: A bit busy but nice overall
A2 Magdeburg-Berlin : bad eastwards, very bad rut on the right lane ( very surprised at that), 130 km/h limit ( or 120, can't recall), Ok westwards.
A10 Berliner Ring : It's okay but busy
A115 : Rubbish, very bumpy ride + very busy near the A100

Berlin itself : Bit rubbish pavement, and in the center a lot of roads are closed/rebuilt/whatever, but traffic is very nice, can park everywhere and had no problems with congestion.

Last edited by snowdog; February 18th, 2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #6084
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

I found parking in Berlin pretty complicated. they were mostly paid spots, and I didn't want to chance a problem, nor did I want to pay. I parked in a few weird places but they were in mostly depressing areas (like around Karl-Marx Allee). The parking around my hotel though was not metered and while the strassen were filled with cars, I always found a reasonably located spot (few minute walk). I think the hotel wanted to charge me practically the cost of my room to park per night in their crappy backlot where the wheels probably would have gotten stolen overnight
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #6085
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I found parking in Berlin pretty complicated. they were mostly paid spots, and I didn't want to chance a problem, nor did I want to pay. I parked in a few weird places but they were in mostly depressing areas (like around Karl-Marx Allee). The parking around my hotel though was not metered and while the strassen were filled with cars, I always found a reasonably located spot (few minute walk). I think the hotel wanted to charge me practically the cost of my room to park per night in their crappy backlot where the wheels probably would have gotten stolen overnight
We didn't mind paying to park in front of the bar/restaurant/place where we wanted to be. Berlin is cheap compared to many Dutch cities,1.50 per hr is very doable if you're used to paying silly prices like 3 euros per hour in Rotterdam to park in a shoddy place a 5 or 10 minute walk from where you want to be ( because there is no parking where you want to be).

Don't get me wrong I hate paid parking and the people who are for it and the politicians responsible for it should die a slow death , but there were 8 of us in the van and a couple of euros divided by 8 meant it cost peanuts. Parking and diesel was probably cheaper than using the public transport there.
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #6086
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Paid parking is an efficient tool in using the available capacity better. The fact that there is paid parking ensured you of a parking space, otherwise it would fill up with long-term parking. Just look at bicycle parking at any railway station in the Netherlands.

That said, there is a difference between using paid parking as an efficiency tool, or to maxime revenue for the municipal budget. In small towns, a parking disc with a time limit is as efficient as paid parking.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #6087
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Paid parking is an efficient tool in using the available capacity better. The fact that there is paid parking ensured you of a parking space, otherwise it would fill up with long-term parking. Just look at bicycle parking at any railway station in the Netherlands.

That said, there is a difference between using paid parking as an efficiency tool, or to maxime revenue for the municipal budget. In small towns, a parking disc with a time limit is as efficient as paid parking.
I can understand in the city center.
But I can remmeber when I was small we used to park a 5-10 min walk from the center in Crooswijk or so for free.

Now even Kralingen or parts of Rotterdam zuid, such areas should never be paid.

The situation now is that they removed loads of streetside parking in the center to force cars into parking garages or into the surrouding areas. The result is you pay a lot, to park somewhere you do not even need to be in the first place.

In the old days you could park in front of a shop or near the market paid, or walk 5 minutes and park for free.

And my previous post was mainly about small towns, I was on a holiday a while ago near some hole called Venray, a smaller town than my own, and was surprised they had paid parking there, such things really enrage me. How can such a piece of **** hole of a town ( like Venray, but also villages like Renesse) with less than 50k inhabitants have paid parking, and expensive one to add ?

What is wrong with a design like in Malmedy Belgium or Kleve Germany ? Where you can park for free near or at the center ?
Old February 19th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #6088
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Maybe some people simply don't want cars along city streets. Also, having available parking spaces means that cars must reach them, creating traffic.

I'm a petrolhead, but I can't stand anymore the presence of cars in urban environments. European cities have tiny roads, and I hate having to dodge obstacles on a tight sidewalk while beside me there are several empty boxes 2 meters wide.
Space is precious, and cars need a lot of space to be used.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #6089
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Maybe some people simply don't want cars along city streets. Also, having available parking spaces means that cars must reach them, creating traffic.

I'm a petrolhead, but I can't stand anymore the presence of cars in urban environments. European cities have tiny roads, and I hate having to dodge obstacles on a tight sidewalk while beside me there are several empty boxes 2 meters wide.
The problem is widespread in Holland though, much less so abroad, I wish people who don't like cars would live in cities like Amsterdam or so rather than ruining something that isn't broken, and people who do like cars have a nice car friendly city to live in, Rotterdam used to be like that that ages ago, but is being more and more ruined for cars. Rotterdam however is the perfect city to make car friendly ( due to the city center bombed down in ww2), out of the 4 large cities in Holland. Why does the last semi decent city for cars have to suffer the same fate ? You dislike cities with cars, but then theres Amsterdam or Utrecht for ya, no need to drag down Rotterdam with anti car stuff like it has happened in the past 20 years.

Berin or Warsaw on the other hand are much more car friendly ( also due to the center being wiped out in ww2), I like those cities much more than any Dutch city.

I'm sure there are urban environments in Germany or Belgium with fewer cars than average, in Holland however much more towns are ruined to be unfriendly for cars, to the point that there are nearly no car friendly municipality's left. Not all urban areas have to be anti car, there can be something for everybody, at the moment there isn't though imo.

Bender liked this post
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #6090
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:

Not all European cities are tiny mazes , Berlin or Barcelona are good car-friendly examples.
Old February 20th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #6091
Kanadzie

I think my problem with paying for parking is partly ideological, partly from experience parking as a poor student in downtown Montreal (also anti-car city), the biological need for men to pursue "hunting" games and also I didn't want to be late to come back and feed the meter when I had walked 2 hours away from the car

Quote:

Have you ever been to Berlin? I have never seen such wide roads in my life! People park their cars in the middle of the road as there is so much space

As for people not wanting cars along city streets, the presence of the cars implies that a lot of people obviously want them there I hate this concept some people have of "pro human anti car". Car is not alive, there is a person there too.

Bender liked this post
Old February 20th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #6092
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Have you ever been to Berlin? I have never seen such wide roads in my life! People park their cars in the middle of the road as there is so much space
Have you ever been to Berlin?
pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 01:27 AM   #6093
Kanadzie

yes, when I left I was debating which road to leave with, I ended up going to Poznan instead of Szczecin
Old February 21st, 2014, 07:41 AM   #6094
chibetogdl
soy NiNi

Likes (Received): 544

great thread, iv been looking it for like 30 minutes, definitely germany has the best infraestructure in the world

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
chibetogdl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 12:43 PM   #6095
pi3141

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibetogdl View Post
great thread, iv been looking it for like 30 minutes, definitely germany has the best infraestructure in the world
I don't quite agree with that. Germany lost a lot of advantage within the last 20 years. Especially in the northern part road infrastructure was simply left to decay. The government somehow thought it could cut the budget massively down whithout slowly making the infrastructure fall apart, its just stupid...
Apart from the pure presence of motorways the german standards are often behind those of the neighbouring countries. For exampel: they were very busy removing all the lights from highways but of course they won't put up any extra reflectors for them. Driving in the dark really is a terrifying experience sometimes to me imho. Other EU countries like Spain have a way better Motorway infrastructure nowadays.
pi3141 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 12:59 PM   #6096
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Berin or Warsaw on the other hand are much more car friendly ( also due to the center being wiped out in ww2), I like those cities much more than any Dutch city.
I seem to recall something similar happened to Rotterdam ?
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 03:01 PM   #6097
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlsturm View Post
I seem to recall something similar happened to Rotterdam ?
Yep, which is why out of the 4 ''big'' cities it's the most car freindly.

It's much worse than say 15 years ago though due to politics/eco retards.

And there are much more plans to ruin it even further like narrow certail through roads ( Coolsingel ) or streets are being rebuilt with less parking or hampering traffic. Speedbumps growing like a pest in every neighborhood. And new neighbourhoods are being built ( Nesselande) without any attempt to adjust existing nearby infrastructure to meet the extra demand. They want to ruin the last semi decent car city into ****holes like A'dam traffic wise.

Bender liked this post
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:29 PM   #6098
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

A2 Bad Oeynhausen - Magdeburg 2x4

Lots of media buzz about the proposal to 8-lane A2 in Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) today. The idea is not new (Niedersachsen submitted it for the BVWP 2015 last year). The cost is estimated at € 2.5 billion, which is nearly half of the entire annual German federal roads & motorways budget. Bild calls it the "XXL-ausbau"

http://www.welt.de/regionales/duesse...en-auf-A2.html

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:41 AM   #6099
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Lots of media buzz about the proposal to 8-lane A2 in Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) today.
The following Autobahn sections are also submitted for an upgrade to 2x4 (or 2x5) lanes by the states for the BVWP 2015. The BVWP 2015 is announced to be passed in 2016 (BVWP 2003 classification in brackets).

Brandenburg:
A10 AD Potsdam (A9) - AD Nuthetal (A115) (VB = urgent demand)

Baden-Württemberg:
A5 AK Walldorf (A6) - AD Karlsruhe (A8) (WB = further demand)
A6 AD Hockenheim (A61) - AK Walldorf (A5) (WB)
A8 AD Leonberg (A81) - AS Wendlingen (WB)
A81 AK Weinsberg (A6) - AS Ilsfeld (new)
A81 AS Pleidelsheim - AS Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen (new)

Bavaria:
A8 AK München-Süd (A99) - AD Inntal (A93) (WB)
A9 AK Nürnberg (A3) - AK Nürnberg-Ost (A6) (WB)
A9 AD Holledau (A93) - AK Neufahrn (A92) (WB)
A73 AS Nürnberg-Zollhaus - AK Nürnberg-Süd (A6) (VB)
A92 AK Neufahrn (A9) - AD Flughafen-München (new)
A99 AK München-Feldmoching (A92) - AK München-Süd (A8) (VB/WB/new)

Hesse:
A3 border Rhineland-Palatinate - border Bavaria (VB/new); thereof AK Frankfurt - AK Offenbach (2x5; new)
A5 AK Gambach (A45) - AS Friedberg (WB)
A5 (2x5) AS Friedberg - AK Darmstadt (A67) (VB / new)
A6 AK Viernheim (A659) - AD Viernheim (A67) (new)
A7 border Lower Saxony - AS Kassel-Ost (future A44) (new)
A7 (2x5) AS Kassel-Ost (future A44) - AD Kassel-Süd (A44) (new; planned or almost u/c to be upraded to 2x4)
A7 AD Kirchheim (A4) - AD Hattenbach (A5) (new)
A66 AK Wiesbaden (A3) - Nordwestkreuz Frankfurt (A5) (new)

As far as I understood the long distance sections of A3 and A7 are only proposed to add an additional lane at inclinations. The A3 sections b/n Wiesbaden and Hanau are proposed for a regular 2x4 upgrade (already VB in the BVWP 2003).

Lower Saxony/Bremen:
A1 AK Bremen (A27) - AD Stuhr (A28)

Lower Saxony:
A2 North Rhine-Westphalia border - Saxony-Anhalt border (VB / new)
A7 AD Walsrode (A27) - AK Hannover-Nord (A352) (WB)

North Rhine-Westphalia:
A1 AK Kamen (A2) - AK Westhofen (A45) (new)
A1 AS Köln-Niehl - AK Köln-Nord (A57) (new)
A1 AK Köln-West (A4) - AK Bliesheim (A61) (WB / new)
A2 AK Bielefeld (A33) - Lower Saxony border (new)
A3 AK Oberhausen (A2) - AK Leverkusen (A1) (new)
A3 AD Heumar (A4/A59) - AS Königsforst (new)
A4 AK Köln-West (A1) - AD Heumar (A3) (new)
A40 AK Moers (A57) - AK Duisburg (A59) (WB / new)
A42 AK Oberhausen-West (A3) - AK Essen/Nord (A52) (new)
A46 AS Düsseldorf-Holthausen - AK Hilden (A3) (new)
A59 AD Bonn-Nordost (A565) - AD St. Augustin-West (A560) (VB)

Berlin, Hamburg, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Rhineland-Palatinate, Schleswig-Holstein, Saarland, Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia:
None

Last edited by MichiH; March 2nd, 2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: 2x5 AK Frankfurt - AK Offenbach added
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:21 PM   #6100
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The A46 is widened to 2x3 lanes (April 2013 to 2015), see press release.
Well, completion in 2017 according to the latest news: > click < (former information was "at minimum 2 years").
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau