daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #6341
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Autobahns are actually in the best condition (pavement-wise). Local and state roads tend to vary a lot more (for the worse).
Funny, my experience with German roads are quite the opposite: spotless Bundesstrassen, not so immaculate Autobahnen.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #6342
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

You have lived in Munich. You never bothered to go for a drive in the countryside? Around Ebersberg or Bad Ailbing for example? I never know whether to drive on these roads or have sex with them with all these holes in the surface...
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #6343
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Many smaller roads in the countryside (mainly K and L roads) are so bumpy that you had better drive an SUV,
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #6344
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The pavement is not in a good condition. There are also many bad sections on Autobahns. There are problems with concrete mixture, problems with heat in summer... These problems are sometimes on old sections but also on new stretches which are bumpy! It's a shame!
Scientists have now developed a concrete mix that could last more than 100 years without maintenance. Undoubtedly this concrete mix will find its way to roads and bridges around the world as it promises to leave these structures free of major cracks for more than a century and therefore saves money.

Suburbanist liked this post
909 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #6345
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
Many smaller roads in the countryside (mainly K and L roads) are so bumpy that you had better drive an SUV,

Yes, but even some major B-roads. Although they have built some splendid new ones in Bavaria recently, especially east of Munich and around the airport area.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #6346
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
You have lived in Munich. You never bothered to go for a drive in the countryside? Around Ebersberg or Bad Ailbing for example? I never know whether to drive on these roads or have sex with them with all these holes in the surface...
I was on the countryside all the time. Local roads in southern Bavaria were the best I've seen in my life.
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #6347
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
Scientists have now developed a concrete mix that could last more than 100 years without maintenance. Undoubtedly this concrete mix will find its way to roads and bridges around the world as it promises to leave these structures free of major cracks for more than a century and therefore saves money.
It'll never get sold to Belgium. They build a road in a way that the surface is worn out after 6 months already. It's a tradition, like chocolate, beer and Manneke Pis Statue.

909, Attus, Grotlaufen, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:41 PM   #6348
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I was on the countryside all the time. Local roads in southern Bavaria were the best I've seen in my life.
I can clearly see that you have set your standards at a very low level.
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #6349
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:

I can clearly see that you have set your standards at a very low level.
I am Italian.
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #6350
Road_UK
BANNED

I know. You have some of the best roads in Italy.
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #6351
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
I know. You have some of the best roads in Italy.
I feel like you and I are living in parallel universes.
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #6352
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I feel like you and I are living in parallel universes.

No seriously. Your motorways are immaculate. A lot of your SS roads are good (some of them are crap) but overall Italy is not doing that badly at all.
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #6353
Mackem

Likes (Received): 8

The German press has got pretty excited about the infrastructure issue, however this is really a problem for most western countries post war infrastructure. The UK press will eventually cotton onto this story, but we and other countries have similar problems. The collapse of bridges in the USA is well televised, however other places tend to give their failures less publicity. In the UK bridges on the M1,5 & 6 have all been closed due to risk of collapse. There are plenty others that are just closed because they're beyond use.

As far as my admittedly limited experience of German roads goes, yes they can be busy , but the system is a lot more comprehensive and maintenance standards are ok. As for roadworks, if you want improvements you get cones, but as it's just taken 2 years to build 1km of dual carriageway where I live, it's not just the Germans who can drag it out......

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Mackem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #6354
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austrian Travel Agent
The Germans all want to see Mozart's house in Salzburg; the Americans want to see where The Sound of Music was filmed; the Japanese want Hitler's birthplace in Braunau; but for the British, it's all about *******.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:27 AM   #6355
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Autobahns are actually in the best condition (pavement-wise). Local and state roads tend to vary a lot more (for the worse).
I don't think so. Here where I live local roads (Bundesstrasse, Landstrasse) have better state than the motorways (Autobahn).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #6356
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austrian Travel Agent
The Germans all want to see Mozart's house in Salzburg; the Americans want to see where The Sound of Music was filmed; the Japanese want Hitler's birthplace in Braunau; but for the British, it's all about *******.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*******,_Austria
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #6357
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I don't think so. Here where I live local roads (Bundesstrasse, Landstrasse) have better state than the motorways (Autobahn).
The A7 south of Salzgitter was limited to 60kph in 2011/12, many motorway bridges (e.g. A45, A81,...) are limited to 80 or 60kph for cars and 60 or 40kph for trucks. There are also many very bad B roads, e.g. the B276 south of Wächterbach (Hesse) was limited to 30kph out of town (renovation in progress now). I also know many very bad L and K roads (since decades).

As mentioned before, the municipal bridges and bridges are also a big problem. The streets in my hometown are run-down. Our main road was renewed in 1979, it is planned to renew it this year again. The parallel street was built in the 1950th. The potholes are filled up provisional every few years. My street was built in 1939, renovation promised since 20 years, but the broken concrete sheets are still there. The potholes are also filled up provisional.

Well, maybe this is complaining on a very high level, but....

There is one K road near my hometown which was renewed about 3 years ago. It was not in such a bad conditon but it was renewed. The road was opened for traffic prior the final works were done. The first time I drove there (the speed was limited to 70 but I already drove 100+), I felt a slight bump. Meanwhile you feel a huge flap when you pass that location with 70..80kph. The new pavement is worse than the old one. That's a shame, and nothing happened! There are many new pavements in a very bad state...
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #6358
MichiH

Truck toll

Publication of a report regarding the truck toll on B roads which was launched on 1st August 2012: > click <. The truck toll was discussed in the transport commission of the Bundestag today, see summary: > click <.

There are no significant shiftings to subsequent roads, there are only some exceptions. Most of the shiftings are back to Autobahns. The incomes are reduced due to a new "Wegekostengutachten". This is planned to be compensated by introducing the truck toll on additional 1,000km B roads (1st July 2015) and a truck toll for 7.5 t vehicles (1st October 2015). The rest will be compensated by money of the federal budget. The truck toll on all B roads could be launched in mid of 2018 (agreed by the coalition agreement). The "Linke" party criticized that the operating costs are 25% of the incomes.
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #6359
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

When will they extend B-15a from its current terminus north of Essenbach all the way to A-92?
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #6360
MichiH

B15n, not B15a. The total costs are 118.6 million €, 13 million €/km. The construction time is still ok in comparision to other German projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
B15n: AS Ergoldsbach – AS Essenbach (A92) 12 9,0km (August 2013 to 2018) - projectmap
Have you ever seen that thread?

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau