daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #621
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABRob View Post
Well, THAT is big:
http://www.autobahn-online.de/phorum...p?5,file=13735

But that's too big!
He-he, from the picture it seems to me this sign should have its own vertical clearance sign on it
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:49 AM   #622
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 371

Which autobahnen are planned or U/C at the moment? I know of a few around Hamburg, (A20, A26, A22) and the A14 between Schwerin and Magdenburg. Does anybody have a complete list or map with all planned stretches?
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:06 AM   #623
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

There's so much planned. Thousands of kilometers of widening to 6 or 8 lanes, and hundreds of kilometers of new stretches. But not that much currently u/c.
Not a list, but at Patrick's Autobahnatlas (www.autobahnatlas-online.de) you can find a nice map with all u/c and planned new stretches (planned widenings missing):
the map (pdf, 2.5MB)
legend (pdf, 80KB)
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM   #624
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Yeah, except for some missing links, widening should have priority.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM   #625
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

This map is very unclear. In my glossary "verworfen" means abandoned or put aside. But here it is confusing with real plannings, because there is very similar color and also there are many types of "verworfene Autobahnen" (in costruction, in planning, half-"made" etc). Any explanation?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM   #626
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Well, this map's focus is on Autobahns.
Some of the abandoned stretches are/were built, but not as Autobahn but as federal road or something else. That's why.
Stuttgart, for instance. There were so many Autobahns planned. But currently there's only the A8, A81 and the A831. Of the others, there are only the parts near Stuttgart finished, and they didn't get an A-number but a B-number (Bundesstraße = federal road), so they are actually just "gelbe Autobahns" and it's not planned to complete the whole stretch with motorway standard and rename it with an A-number.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #627
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Now riding through the hills of the Taunus range
I have kind of a traumatised memory of this spot. In 2006, when going on holiday to Italy (temperature: 36 celsius) we got stuck here due to a "LKW-Unfall bei der Baustelle" and we stood still here for about 3,5 hours. The only luck we had was that we stood next to a Lithuatian cool-transport truck, so it didn't get too hot. It took us 14 hours to drive from Abcoude (near Amsterdam) to Bad Tölz (south of Munich). Not really a pleasant memory
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #628
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
for those who speak german, here is a satirical video from a german broadcast "Extra3" about a family who lives under and interchange, because their children can play there because of the low amount of traffic there

ROFLMAO!

That's really funny.
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #629
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

btw:
http://www.autobahn-online.de/phorum/read.php?5,97867

the number of traffic deaths in 2007 is below 5000 persons, for the first time ever. but the general number of small accidents increased a bit.

btw2:
by sj1, owner of www.autobahn-bilder.de
see here, shiny new crashbarriers on the new L40n between Potsdam and southern Berlin
http://www.autobahn-online.de/phorum...p?5,file=11287

btw3:
damn, 4 trucks side by side, on A3 in Cologne.
http://www.autobahn-online.de/phorum...p?5,file=13742

Last edited by Patrick; February 27th, 2008 at 09:47 PM.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #630
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Man you see those Reining trucks everywhere I once drove in one to Sweden

Quote:
but the general number of small accidents increased a bit.
The majority of insurance costs are from low-speed parking accidents.

Quote:
see here, shiny new crashbarriers on the new L40n between Potsdam and southern Berlin
I don't like crashbarriers on the shoulder-side of the road, if there is no necessity for. It's always safer to park your car half off the emergency lane in case of a breakdown.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #631
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Man you see those Reining trucks everywhere I once drove in one to Sweden

The majority of insurance costs are from low-speed parking accidents.

I don't like crashbarriers on the shoulder-side of the road, if there is no necessity for. It's always safer to park your car half off the emergency lane in case of a breakdown.
If the motorway is properly, the shoulders are wide enough for cars, buses and tracsk to park there man, like the Sruma motorway which I have to metnion here because it´s a feature not many motorways seem to have. Even were there are crashbarriers on the emergeny lane the shoulders are wide enough to park the car very savely,

Patrick, the crashbarriers are shiny, but unfortunately they have the typical german angular shape, I don´t like that shape, why aren´t they with the great shape, they would even be shinier then. Otherwise the motorway looks great.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #632
ChrisZwolle
Road user

parking is one thing, but what if you have to exit your car? Or if you have multiple persons in the car? You cannot open the door next to a crashbarrier. Or change a tire, while sitting 10cm from the driving lanes.

Besides that, the emergency lane is NEVER a safe place. If possible do not park your car on the shoulder, but on the banks next to it. Sometimes, trucks or cars don't pay attention and drive a little on the emergency lanes, and if you are parked there, you can say goodbye to your car, and probably your life too.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #633
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
parking is one thing, but what if you have to exit your car? Or if you have multiple persons in the car? You cannot open the door next to a crashbarrier. Or change a tire, while sitting 10cm from the driving lanes.

Besides that, the emergency lane is NEVER a safe place. If possible do not park your car on the shoulder, but on the banks next to it. Sometimes, trucks or cars don't pay attention and drive a little on the emergency lanes, and if you are parked there, you can say goodbye to your car, and probably your life too.
Man, the Struma motorway shoulders are wide enough that you can change a tire, but you are apsolutely right that sometimes peopel are driving on them, for example when I travel on the Struma I see tracks driving on the emergeny line everytime I go to Sofia and return, I simply don´t understand that.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #634
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Radi, I've missed you.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #635
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
If the motorway is properly, the shoulders are wide enough for cars, buses and tracsk to park there man, like the Sruma motorway which I have to metnion here because it´s a feature not many motorways seem to have. Even were there are crashbarriers on the emergeny lane the shoulders are wide enough to park the car very savely,

Patrick, the crashbarriers are shiny, but unfortunately they have the typical german angular shape, I don´t like that shape, why aren´t they with the great shape, they would even be shinier then. Otherwise the motorway looks great.
then you have to wait till i get back to trier and back home again, because the new barriers on the A48 on a renovated part between exit 2 ulmen and exit 3 laubach have your favorised shape and are damn shiny (at least they were one month ago ) (btw: opinions are always different, i prefer this style like on the L40n more )

@Chris: that always reminds on this well-known picture of the A8 (source):

fortunately that will be history in the future.

ps: another find in the autobahn jewel case
very old ddr-like sign on the A60 (source)
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #636
radi6404

"then you have to wait till i get back to trier and back home again, because the new barriers on the A48 on a renovated part between exit 2 ulmen and exit 3 laubach have your favorised shape and are damn shiny (at least they were one month ago ) (btw: opinions are always different, i prefer this style like on the L40n more ) "

Then please take pics when you drive there next time, always like to see such things.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #637
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 802

Thanks for the link to the map Rohne!

My favorite autobahn is definately the A9 from Berlin to Munchen.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #638
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

I drive from Szczecin to Munchen 2-3 times every year.
A9 was also my favourite, but in the past i lost too much time in traffic jams. Once i saw 25 km line of cars on the opposite carriageway near Nurnberg. So now i prefer A93/A72/A4/A13. It's only 40 km more, and despite speed limits, travel gets faster.
pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #639
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
damn, 4 trucks side by side, on A3 in Cologne.
http://www.autobahn-online.de/phorum...p?5,file=13742
Isn't some law in Germany (and elsewhere in Europe too), that trucks can occupy only 2 rightmost traffic lanes?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #640
thun

Erm...theoretically yes, if there are three ore more lanes. If there are two lanes they are allowed to overtake but the one on the left has to be significantly faster (I think they have around 30 seconds to overtake). But practically truck drivers often don't care...
thun no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau