daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2014, 07:47 PM   #6441
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

A57 Neuss

Some photos of the A57 widening between AK Kaarst and Neuss, as of this morning.

The southbound widening is mostly completed, except for immediately south of AK Kaarst.

A57 ausbau Kaarst - Neuss-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

A57 ausbau Kaarst - Neuss-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

A57 ausbau Kaarst - Neuss-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

geometarkv liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2014, 09:44 PM   #6442
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How necessary is this link? They are already constructing the A14 from Magdeburg to Schwerin, so I think adding some passing lanes and a bypass for the last few villages on B4 would suffice...
I think the A21 Eastern Hamburg bypass would be pointless w/o its southern extension, the A39. The A21 has high priority to relieve Hamburg (A1 east of Hamburg and A7 south of Hamburg). I'd prefer having two Autobahns instead of one 2x4 or 2x5 Autobahn, e.g. it is planned to widen 25km of the A1 to 2x4 b/n HH-East (A24) and Horst (A7) and 30km of the A7 b/n Walsrode (A27) to Hannover (A352). The AADT 2010 was b/n 81,000 and 118,000 vehicles / day on the A1 section and b/n 87,000 and 90,000 on the A7. The A21/A39 would also be the best route from the Fehmarnbelt crossing to southern Germany.

I think the A39 is more important than the A14. Many people had preferred having a X solution (Hamburg - Magdeburg and Wolfsburg - Schwerin) like the A61/A63 in Rhineland-Palatinate instead of the H solution (the "-" would be the new B190n).

Quote:
Especially with the funding gaps in Germany, this money could be put to better use.
There is no lack of money, the money is just used in the wrong way. I don't want to discuss this stuff b/c I am not an expert and I cannot come to a decision. I prefer to report about planning and building progress w/o thinking about the bullshit our politicians screw up .

mcarling liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 01:21 AM   #6443
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqaszar View Post
The problem is traffic between Rosenheim and St. Johann / Kitzbühel / Felbertauernstraße, wich would leave the A 12 as soon as Wörgl or even Kufstein-Süd. For this short distance, a vignette would be waste, so people will instead leave the A 83 on the German side at Kiefersfelden and then riding right through Kufstein on the L 171 to reach L 173. A "Korridorlösung" like at Bregenz seems not to be a solution, since the distance to the Kufstein-Süd exist from the border is just a few hundred meters. Who would buy a vignette for that? So the old solution, "no controls between the bordfer and Kufstein-Süd" was more or less the best one. I wonder why they changed it.
Bregenz Korridorvignet also doesnt exist anymore. In both cases local cities suffer from huge increase in traffic, polution and accidents.

I drive both stretches regularly and really dont understand why they did this, its bad for all involved and from Kitzbuhel there is nobody except Austrians and some tourists who already have a vignet who take the autobahn, all Germans drive through the villages and towns to cross the border and enter the motor way.
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:02 AM   #6444
MichiH

A72 Chemnitz - Leipzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The A72 from Chemnitz to Leipzig is a new Autobahn in Saxony.
The 7th section (5.1) from AS Borna-North to AS Rötha is 9.5km long (OSM). The plan approval procedure was started in December 2009, and the order was passed in June 2012. Two private persons submitted complaints, the hearing at the Federal Administrative Court (BVerwG) will be in autumn 2013. This complaints do not affect the begin of construction, which was announced for spring 2013.
The construction began in July 2013. The section is announced to be completed until 2017. Total costs: 89 million €.
Meanwhile, two additional plan approval procedures have been started in February and May 2014. Both affect the Espenhain i/c, pipe laying / cable routing and bicycle path.

Some recently taken pics by sj1 (posted on autobahn-online.de):

Near Eula (Borna-North i/c):

Viewing dirction Leipzig:

Viewing direction Borna:

B95 towards Leipzig:

Near Kitzscher:

Viewing direction Espenhain:

Near Espenhain - viewing direction Kitzscher/Borna:

Espenhain - viewing direction Rötha:

B95 towards Leipzig, future Espenhain i/c. The A72 will cross the B95 here.

More pics from sj1: http://www.autobahn-bilder.de/.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old June 1st, 2014, 12:10 PM   #6445
Pascal20a

Likes (Received): 19

I drove there before one month
Pascal20a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 01:41 PM   #6446
MichiH

B50 Hochmoselbrücke

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
How are works progressing on the Hochmoselbrücke project?
Some pics of the u/c Hochmoselbrücke from September 2013 (> click <) and March 2014 (> click <). The latter shows two pics of the B50 near Altrich, which is east of the AK Wittlich (A60/A1). This section (west of the Hochmoselbrücke viaduct) is announced to be opened in summer 2014.
The LBM RP (road authority) said on request that the B50 section b/n A1/A60 and Platten (OSM; west of the Hochmosel viaduct) will be opened in fall 2014 (source).

History:
May 2004: Groundbreaking for the 5.3km section.
August 2010 announcement: Opening in 2013.
March 2012 announcement: Opening in Late 2013.
October 2012 announcement: Opening in Spring 2014.
March 2013 announcement: Opening in Summer 2014.
May 2014 announcement: Opening in Fall 2014.
Old June 1st, 2014, 03:04 PM   #6447
ChrisZwolle
Road user

So, 10.5 years for 5 km of expressway?
Old June 1st, 2014, 03:20 PM   #6448
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I have to say that Germans really do take their time building new motorways or even resurfacing. The French have their roads back in perfect condition by an eye blink, presumably for a lot less money as well.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 03:36 PM   #6449
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Is there an opening date for the new Jagdbergtunnel in A4 west of Jena? The project website says "Mitte 2014", which would be around now.

http://www.jagdberg-tunnel.de/
Old June 1st, 2014, 03:45 PM   #6450
MichiH

Quote:
Is there an opening date for the new Jagdbergtunnel in A4 west of Jena? The project website says "Mitte 2014", which would be around now.

http://www.jagdberg-tunnel.de/
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...14&postcount=1

A4: AS Magdala – AS Jena-Göschwitz 12 11,8km (May 2007 to September 2014) [discontinuation: 12,6km] - projectmap
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:07 PM   #6451
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I have to say that Germans really do take their time building new motorways or even resurfacing. The French have their roads back in perfect condition by an eye blink, presumably for a lot less money as well.
Since German Autobahns are free for cars and French autoroutes are normally VERY expensive, that's the minimum you could expect.
That said, I agree they are generally slow. It takes ages to do anything and I often see road work being done on roads that looked perfectly fine. I feel they have a contingent of people to employ and money to spend to matter what.
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:52 PM   #6452
ChrisZwolle
Road user

B62 Siegen

Wikipedia, 2010:

Yesterday:

B62 Huttentalstrasse Siegertalbrucke by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Attus, čarli liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:31 AM   #6453
burt1991
Drahma.

Likes (Received): 385

what about A8 Pirmasens-Karlsruhe? Some parts of the german network are really out of logic... for example, no autobahn crossing to Strasbourg, and through Karlsruhe, and Landau in der Pfalz-Pirmasens? why is that not completed?

A B BIH CZ D DK E EAK F GR H HR I L M MC MK MNE MS NL P RSM S SCV SK SLO SRB TR UAE UK

mcarling liked this post
burt1991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 05:05 AM   #6454
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

I think that Germany should double its capital budget for road transportation investment.

But even if it doesn't, they could concentrate on less projects at a time, completing them faster, thereby saving money and, over the course of x years, actually building more kms/lanes than they do know with snail-pace projects that advance couple hundred meters to a few km per year.

mcarling liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 09:56 PM   #6455
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt1991 View Post
what about A8 Pirmasens-Karlsruhe?
The project was canceled long ago. Nature conservation. It is planned to uprade the B10 Pirmasens-Landau to 2x2 (w/o hard shoulders; OSM; ~50km; project page). The Pirmasens region is pro, the Landau region contra the project. The upgrade near Pirmasens is completed (~10km), the next section up to Hinterweidenthal (B427) is u/c (~4km). The next sections are controversial. The plan approval order for the last section b/n Godramstein and A65 was passed in 2010 but it is still challenged (~4km). Endless discussion.... AADT 2010: 14,800-26,600 vehicles/day (source).

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt1991 View Post
Some parts of the german network are really out of logic... for example, no autobahn crossing to Strasbourg, and through Karlsruhe, and Landau in der Pfalz-Pirmasens? why is that not completed?
The B28 b/n A5 and Strasbourg is motorway-like 2x2 (OSM; AADT 2010: 29,900 vehicles/day).

It was planned to upgrade the B500 north of Strasbourg (Baden-Baden) to 2x2 (with hard shoulders; OSM; 5.8km). The new proposal does only contain a widening b/n A5 and B36 (~3km; AADT 2010: 22,500 - west of B36 11,500).

The gap b/n A35.fr and A65.de/B9.de, the so-called "Bienwaldautobahn" (OSM; project page), was planned to be closed. The 11.5km A65 (2x2 with hard shoulders) was part of the BVWP 2003 (further demand but with planning law). It was also controversial due to nature conservation reasons. AADT 2010 on existing 2-laned B9: 9,300 to 14,100 vehicles/day (source).

There is already a motorway-like connection through Karlsruhe, the B10 (OSM). It is planned to build a second Rhine bridge b/n Rhineland-Palatinate (project page) and Baden-Württemberg (project page), the two B293 plan approval procedures have been started in early 2011 (OSM). Endless discussion.... Natural conservation... Opposition expects more congestion due to the construction "Mehr Stau durch Brückenbau"... The problem is, that the existing bridge must be renovated. Rhineland-Palatinate wants the 2nd bridge, the city of Karlsruhe and the state of Baden-Württemberg want to renew the existing bridge. B293 costs: > 100 million €. The 2010 AADT was about 67,700 vehicles/day (source). I've read a AADT 2025 prediction in 2012, B10 (2x2) would be used by 74,600 vehicles/day and the B293 bridge (2x2) would be used by 26,500 vehicles/day. Latest info from February 2014: The federal government refuses a replacement of the existing bridge. It is / was also planned to build a northern bypass of Karlsruhe.....

Last edited by MichiH; June 2nd, 2014 at 10:14 PM. Reason: B9/B28/B500 AADT 2010 added
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:21 PM   #6456
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
they could concentrate on less projects at a time, completing them faster, thereby saving money and, over the course of x years, actually building more kms/lanes than they do know with snail-pace projects that advance couple hundred meters to a few km per year.
Yes, that would be a good advise for our politicians, but...

The former CDU/FDP governments of Baden-Württemberg began a lot of projects in the past decades. The new Greens/SPD government has stopped the "Spatenstichpolitik" (groundbreaking policy) in 2011. They focus on completing the ongoing projects and they made a list with priorities of the 20 approved projects. The public was not amused to get info that their project is postponed - compared to the former bullshit announcements of the "Spatenstichpolitik".

I always agreed with this new strategy. It is the best way to relieve motorists b/c the number of congestions caused by endless works would be less. In addition the construction costs are less if there is a real progress - e.g. less winter breaks etcetera.

But the result of the new strategy was, that the planning procedures (tender etc.) were stopped too. Baden-Württenberg could not access all funds in 2013, and they refused b/n 6 and 15 million € of their budget in 2013.

The real problem is that the traffic incomings are not used for traffic infrastructure and that the fund allocation is part of the federal budget, which is e.g. not yet passed for 2014. It is not possible to spend the 2014 money in 2014 if the tender process cannot be started until fall 2014. The Greens/SPD government of BaWü is criticizing that too, but I don't agree with their general policy - not at all .

Conclusion: For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, clear and wrong.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:35 PM   #6457
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

It has to be added that the Green party in Germany has always conducted a road construction avoidance policy.

They prefer to go by bycicle.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:46 PM   #6458
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
The project was canceled long ago. Nature conservation. It is planned to uprade the B10 Pirmasens-Landau to 2x2 (w/o hard shoulders; OSM; ~50km; project page). The Pirmasens region is pro, the Landau region contra the project. The upgrade near Pirmasens is completed (~10km), the next section up to Hinterweidenthal (B427) is u/c (~4km). The next sections are controversial. The plan approval order for the last section b/n Godramstein and A65 was passed in 2010 but it is still challenged (~4km). Endless discussion.... AADT 2010: 14,800-26,600 vehicles/day (source).

The B28 b/n A5 and Strasbourg is motorway-like 2x2 (OSM; AADT 2010: 29,900 vehicles/day).

It was planned to upgrade the B500 north of Strasbourg (Baden-Baden) to 2x2 (with hard shoulders; OSM; 5.8km). The new proposal does only contain a widening b/n A5 and B36 (~3km; AADT 2010: 22,500 - west of B36 11,500).

The gap b/n A35.fr and A65.de/B9.de, the so-called "Bienwaldautobahn" (OSM; project page), was planned to be closed. The 11.5km A65 (2x2 with hard shoulders) was part of the BVWP 2003 (further demand but with planning law). It was also controversial due to nature conservation reasons. AADT 2010 on existing 2-laned B9: 9,300 to 14,100 vehicles/day (source).

There is already a motorway-like connection through Karlsruhe, the B10 (OSM). It is planned to build a second Rhine bridge b/n Rhineland-Palatinate (project page) and Baden-Württemberg (project page), the two B293 plan approval procedures have been started in early 2011 (OSM). Endless discussion.... Natural conservation... Opposition expects more congestion due to the construction "Mehr Stau durch Brückenbau"... The problem is, that the existing bridge must be renovated. Rhineland-Palatinate wants the 2nd bridge, the city of Karlsruhe and the state of Baden-Württemberg want to renew the existing bridge. B293 costs: > 100 million €. The 2010 AADT was about 67,700 vehicles/day (source). I've read a AADT 2025 prediction in 2012, B10 (2x2) would be used by 74,600 vehicles/day and the B293 bridge (2x2) would be used by 26,500 vehicles/day. Latest info from February 2014: The federal government refuses a replacement of the existing bridge. It is / was also planned to build a northern bypass of Karlsruhe.....
There are more projects going across the Rhine river between Germany and France. CTS (Strasbourg public transport company) are currently in progress of extending its tramline D to the German town of Kehl. It should be finished within two years.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:29 AM   #6459
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

I drove Munich-Cologne-Munich last week and have a few tips for holiday traffic from NRW/Netherlands to Munich / Austria.

The A3/A9 are full of construction work and I recommend avoiding the stretches between Frankfurt - Nurnberg and Nurnberg - Munich whenever possible. Between Frankfurt and Nurnberg the road works start close to Wurzburg and continue to Nurnberg with regular traffic jam and high risk of accidents. On the A9 the road works concentrate around Greding and between the A93 and A92 on both directions.

As alternative I took the A61, A6 (Heilbronn), A81 (Stuttgart) and A8 (Munich) - the A61 had some areas of road works but generally less traffic than the A3 and the A8 between Muhlingen and Kreuz Ulm and Limbach to Augsburg is also being widened from 2 to 3 lanes per direction but certainly has less risk of major delays than A3/A9.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 12:44 PM   #6460
Road_UK
BANNED

I was going to use that route tomorrow. I always use A3/A9, because until apparently recently there were only some minor works going on at Würzburg and some between Frankfurt-Cologne. For me it it was the best route ever compared to that stinking Stuttgart-Heilbronn-Koblenz route....

For what did they dig the A9/A3 route up again for? They only just finished it...

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau