daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #6541
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Skilldetector A new HR platform where everything is about your skills!
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #6542
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Constructions in NRW

The road authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (Straßen.NRW) has started publishing the ongoing and planned constructions on their Autobahns for the next two years, see press release.

166 construction are planned to be done from mid of 2014 to mid of 2016. Costs: 2.6 billion €. Autobahn network length: 2,200km. At maximum, 60 constructions will be arranged simultaneously.

http://www.strassen.nrw.de/projekte/...bstpl-nrw.html

I've checked the list, it contains for instance 10 replacements of viaducts (5x A1, 4x A45, 1x 544). The 2x3 A43 widening b/n Recklinghausen/Herten and Herne should begin in the 3rd quarter of 2014, the 2x4 A3 widening b/n Leverkusen and Cologne-Mülheim should begin in the 1st quarter of 2015.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #6543
MichiH

A4 Jagdberg tunnel near Jena

Deadeye Reloaded, Daniel749 liked this post
Old June 27th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #6544
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8959

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The road authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (Straßen.NRW) has started publishing the ongoing and planned constructions on their Autobahns for the next two years, see press release.

166 construction are planned to be done from mid of 2014 to mid of 2016. Costs: 2.6 billion €. Autobahn network length: 2,200km. At maximum, 60 constructions will be arranged simultaneously.

http://www.strassen.nrw.de/projekte/...bstpl-nrw.html

I've checked the list, it contains for instance 10 replacements of viaducts (5x A1, 4x A45, 1x 544). The 2x3 A43 widening b/n Recklinghausen/Herten and Herne should begin in the 3rd quarter of 2014, the 2x4 A3 widening b/n Leverkusen and Cologne-Mülheim should begin in the 1st quarter of 2015.

Quote:
Baubeginn 2015

Autobahn 45
-zwischen Hagen-Süd und Lüdenscheid-Nord: Ersatzneubau Talbrücke Brunsbecke; Baubeginn I. Quartal ; Projekt 09-2025
-zwischen Hagen-Süd und Lüdenscheid-Nord: Ersatzneubau Talbrücke Kattenohl; Baubeginn I. Quartal ; Projekt 09-2024

My parents drive daily to work from Lüdenscheid to Hagen on this exact A45 stretch between Lüdenscheid-Nord and Hagen-Süd.

They will have some "fun" because of these two bridge replacements for several years.
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #6545
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

A whole decade to replace a bridge?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #6546
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Which bridge do you mean?

On a side note:
Germany will become Europe´s largest bridge construction site in the next years!
After decades of poor maintenance they will have to replace dozens of them at once.
What Is Love?
Old June 27th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #6547
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Likes (Received): 649

That's typical for germany. In the pursuit of the crazy idea that a country needs a positive balance, our authorities always go for the cheapest possible solution, i.e: where italy builds a tunnel, germany either destroys nature and countryside or builds nothing at all.(in recent times it's mostly the latter)
For example, I as a local would be totally happy if the B11 between Deggendorf and the czech border were 2+1 with a median, allowing for a speed limit of about 120/140 km/h. What we get instead is a jolly mix of 1+1 and some uphill stretches are 2+1. (Of course, the roundabout at the junction with the B85 will be a great step forward, but that's something different.) The same applies to our local rail line: Because of two or three egoistic house owners in Zwiesel, our permanentely broke neighbouring town, whose houses are only accessable by the way of private level crossings(DB even proposed to build them an access road, but then the silly who owns the land doesn't want to sell those 200m²), we will propably not get hourly trains.

bavarian urbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #6548
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A whole decade to replace a bridge?
Talking about Germany... Yes, that could be possible, but it isn't .

09-2025 and 09-2024 are the project IDs .

Quote:
Baubeginn 2015 Autobahn 1 zwischen Kreuz Lotte/Osnabrück und Lengerich: Ersatzneubau von 3 Talbrücken; Baubeginn I. Quartal ; Projekt 07-0693
To be honest, there are no estimated completion dates. That's really strange for Germany..... No deadline which can be delayed....

Old June 27th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #6549
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Phew, I thought they were going to build a new bridge from Q1 2015 to September 2025.
Old June 27th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #6550
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Phew, I thought they were going to build a new bridge from Q1 2015 to September 2025.
They still may discover a rare bat species there

cinxxx, Stahlsturm liked this post
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 12:19 PM   #6551
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A yellow safety vest becomes mandatory in Germany from 1 July.

http://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/DE/Pre...warnweste.html

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

sedef4o liked this post
Old June 28th, 2014, 12:26 PM   #6552
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

I always have 2 of those with me
Didn't have to use them them until now...
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #6553
MichiH

B33 Allensbach - Konstanz

Quote:
The everlasting project B33neu. It never gains traction and is dragged out all the time. The B33 carries 27.000 vehicles per day between Allensbach and Konstanz.
AADT 2010 (source):

AK Hegau (A81) – Übergang bei AK Hegau von A81 21400 / 2204 (10,3%)
AS Steißlingen (B34) – AS Radolfzell am Bodensee (B34) 20900 / 1400 (6,7%)
AS Radolfzell am Bodensee (B34) – Reichenau (K6170) 21700 / 1584 (7,3%)
Reichenau (K6170) – Allensbach (K6170) 26300 / 2236 (8,5%)
Allensbach (K6170) – Reichenau (L221) 28300 / 1585 (5,6%)
Reichenau (L221) – Konstanz, bridge North 25000 / 1375 (5,5%)
Konstanz bridge North – border to Schwitzerland 15400 / 785 (5,1%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
That's enough for an expressway
Yes, it is!

The existing 18km B33 section b/n AK Hegau (A81/A98) and Allensbach-West was even formerly signed as A881 (OSM). The magenta sections are still 2-laned and have at-grade intersections.
The planning procedure began in 1969. The route decision was made by the Federal Ministry of Transport in 1978. But there was a conflict about the route from 1986 to 1999 (source).

The plan approval order for the upgrade of the remaining 10.8km section b/n Allensbach-West and the airfield at the western Konstanz city boundary was finally passed in July 2007 (OSM).
The future B33 will feature 4-lanes on the existing route and will be grade-separated. It contains three tunnels with a length of 970m, 700m and 450m.

Source: Südkurier (January 2011).

The complaints were cancelled and the works on the first of eight sections began in September 2009. It's section F1 b/n Reichenau and Konstanz. The section has a length of 850 meters and was completed in November 2012.

Source: Südkurier (November 2012)

The pic shows the crossroads with the western Konstanz tangent at the end of the future expressway.

The estimated costs for the entire project were about 140 million € (13 million €/km) in January 2011 which is why the estimated completion was set 'not until 2020'. It was planned to complete section F2 until 2013 and to tender section C1 and C2 in 2011.

The works on section F2 have finally been started this month (source). The 900m section (including i/c Reichenau) costs 15 million €. The estimated completion is late 2016.

There is no information about section A to E.

Last edited by MichiH; June 28th, 2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old June 28th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #6554
MichiH

A8 near Pforzheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
- AS Karlsbad – AS Pforzheim-West (OSM; 9.1km; u/c August 2009 to early 2015)
- AS Pforzheim-North – AS Pforzheim-South (OSM; 4.8km; plan approval procedure in progress; discussion, discussion, discussion,...)
- AS Mühlhausen – west of AS Merklingen ("Albaufstieg"; OSM; ~8km; realignment; plan approval procedure stopped due to open funding concept)
I've recently read the history of the A8 section near Pforzheim in the explanatory report of the plan approval procedure (source; June 2011).

First, I have to explain the order of the interchanges. From west to east, the first i/c is called "Pforzheim-West". The next i/c is called "Pforzheim-North", "Pforzheim-East", "Pforzheim-South" (but located east of Pforzheim) and the last i/c is called Heimsbach. The section b/n North and South is not yet upgraded. The plan approval procedure is still ongoing.

Quote:
Die Planung der A 8 zwischen Karlsruhe und Stuttgart wurde im Oktober 1934 durch die "Gesellschaft zur Vorbereitung der Reichsautobahnen (GEZUVOR)" fertiggestellt, so dass 1935 mit den Bauarbeiten begonnen werden konnte. Ende 1938 wurde die Strecke mit Ausnahme des Bereichs Pforzheim-Ost bis Pforzheim-West in Betrieb genommen, der - verzögert durch den Bau des Kämpfelbachviadukts - erst im November 1939 dem Verkehr übergeben wurde.
The planning procedure of the A8 Karlsruhe - Stuttgart was completed in October 1934. The construction began in 1935. The stretch was opened in late 1938 - except b/n Pforzheim-West and Pforzheim-East. This section was opened after completion of the Kämpfelbach viaduct in November 1939.

Seitdem ist im Bereich des vorliegenden Entwurfs, abgesehen von der Erneuerung von Fahrbahndecken und dem Anbau einer 3. Spur am Aufstieg vom Enztal in Richtung Stuttgart, nichts wesentliches umgebaut oder modernisiert worden.
Meanwhile, no essential improvements have been done b/n i/c North and i/c South, except the renovation of the road pavement and adding a third lane on the carriageway towards Stuttgart b/n i/c East and i/c South.

Außer überschlägigen Überlegungen anlässlich der Aufstellung des Bedarfsplans für die Bundesfernstraßen vom 30. Juni 1971 wurde seinerzeit auf Ausbauplanungen bewusst verzichtet, konnte man doch davon ausgehen, dass durch den Bau der A 6 zwischen dem AK Walldorf und dem AK Weinsberg eine entscheidende Entlastung der A 8 zwischen Karlsruhe und Stuttgart eintreten würde. Bald nach der Fertigstellung der A 6 im Jahr 1968 wurde diese Entlastung durch den sprunghaften Anstieg des Verkehrsaufkommens aber wieder weitgehend egalisiert.
Except of a rough consideration on the occasion of the road demand planning in 1971, upgrade plans were disclaimed(?) b/c the new A6 b/n Walldorf (Mannheim) and Weinsberg (Heilbronn) looked set to become the A8 relieved. Unfortunately, after the A6 completion in 1968, the traffic rised abrupt which already compensated the relieve.

In den Bedarfs- und Ausbauplan von 1970 wurde deshalb der Neubau einer A 82 (Saarland-Albgau-Autobahn) aufgenommen, ein Projekt, das aber mit Rücksicht auf seine extrem hohen Kosten und auch im Interesse der Schonung des nördlichen Schwarzwaldes Ende 1975 endgültig aufgegeben werden musste. Stattdessen wurde die A 8 zwischen dem AD Karlsruhe und der AS Mühlhausen bei der Fortschreibung des Bedarfsplanes 1975 in das Programm des 6-streifigen Ausbaus eingereiht.
Hence, the demand plan from 1970 contained the new A82 which was abondoned in late 1975 b/c of extrme costs and to conserve the northern Black Forest. The 6-laned widening of the A8 b/n Karlsruhe and Mühlhausen (west of the so-called "Albaufstieg"; the 6-laned widening was completed in 2011, except the Pforzheim section and the Karlsbad section) was disposed in the 1975s demand plan.

1992 wurde vom Ingenieurbüro Dr. Bender und Stahl, Ludwigsburg, im Auftrag des Landesamtes für Straßenwesen Baden-Württemberg eine Studie erstellt, die die Notwendigkeit und die Folgen eines 6-streifigen Ausbaus der A 8 zwischen dem Raum Pforzheim und der AS Heimsheim zum Inhalt hatte. Dabei wurden für den Bereich der Enzquerung bei Pforzheim verschiedene Varianten ausgearbeitet.
A study about the demand and the aftermath of the 6-laned widening near Pforzheim up to i/c Heimsheim was done in 1992. It contained several variants of the Enztal crossing (valley b/n i/c North and i/c East).

1996 wurde vom selben Ingenieurbüro der RE-Vorentwurf für diesen Streckenabschnitt fertig gestellt. Ende 1997 erhielt der RE-Vorentwurf mit Ausnahme der Tank- und Rastanlage Pforzheim, dem Überführungsbauwerk an der Tank- und Rastanlage Pforzheim und der Lärmschutzeinhausung im Bereich Eutingen/Niefern-Vorort, den Gesehenvermerk vom Bundesministerium für Verkehr.
The preliminary design was completed in 1996. The planning was approved by the Federal Ministry of Transport in late 1997. The rest area, an overpass near the rest area and the noise protection housing near Eutingen/Niefern-Vorort were excluded (all located b/n i/c North and i/c South).

In den Jahren 1998 bis 2001 wurde daraufhin für den 1. Teilabschnitt von der AS Heimsheim bis zur Querung der K 4500 die Planfeststellungsunterlagen hergestellt. Im Frühjahr 2001 wurde das Planfeststellungsverfahren für diesen Abschnitt eingeleitet, und im Oktober 2003 wurde die Planung planfestgestellt. Die Maßnahme befindet sich derzeit im Bau.
The plan approval documents for the sub-section from west of the i/c Pforzheim-South to i/c Heimsbach were made from 1998 to 2001. The plan approval procedure began in spring 2001. The order was passed in 2003, the construction is currently ongoing (completed in October 2011).

Für den vorliegenden Streckenabschnitt wurde 2002 vom Ingenieurbüro Thomas und Partner im Auftrag des damaligen Landesamt für Straßenwesen ein Deckblatt zum RE-Vorentwurf von 1996 angefertigt. Inhalt dieses Deckblattes war im Wesentlichen eine Optimierung des Lärmschutzes durch eine Gradiente mit verringerter Längsneigung. Als Ersatz für den bisher vorgesehenen, halboffenen Lärmschutztunnel im Bereich der Bebauung von Eutingen und Niefern-Vorort wurden kostengünstigere Lärmschutzanlagen in Form von Lärmschutzwänden, Wall/Wand-Kombinationen und Steilwall/Wall/Wand-Kombinationen zum Schutz der Bebauung entwickelt.
The 1996 preliminary planning documents of the section b/n i/c North and i/c South were overhauled in 2002 (modification of the noise protection buildings).

2003 wurde dieser Vorentwurf zur Herstellung der Planfeststellungsunterlagen für das im Jahre 2005 eingeleitete Planfeststellungsverfahren weiterentwickelt. Parallel hierzu wurde die Umweltverträglichkeitsstudie auf Basis der bereits entwickelten Varianten bearbeitet.
The preliminary planning documentw were enhanced in 2003, the plan approval procedure was began in 2005. The EIS was handled simultaneously.

Im Rahmen des Planfeststellungsverfahrens und der 1. Offenlage wurden erhebliche Einwendungen hinsichtlich der Lärmschutzmaßnahmen insbesondere im Bereich Eutingen und Niefern-Vorort vorgebracht.
There were complaints regarding the noise protection during the first publishing of the documents.

In den Jahren 2005 bis 2009 wurden daraufhin umfangreiche Untersuchungen durchgeführt und weitere Varianten ausgearbeitet, um die Lärmsituation an der angrenzenden Bebauung zu verbessern. Diese Ausarbeitungen mündeten nach eingehenden Abstimmungen in den Planfeststellungsentwurf der 2. Offenlage, der eine Optimierung der ursprünglich zur Planfeststellung beantragten Trasse darstellt. Nachdem im Jahr 2010 im Rahmen der Bundesverkehrswegeplanung detaillierte und belastbare Verkehrsdaten für das Prognosejahr 2025 zur Verfügung standen, wurde eine Fortschreibung der Verkehrsprognose sowie wesentlicher Planungsbestandteile für sinnvoll erachtet und entsprechend durchgeführt. Die Ergänzungen und Änderungen sind im vorliegenden Planfeststellungsentwurf (3. Offenlage) enthalten.
There werde done comprehensive analysis from 2005 to 2009 regarding the noise situation. New variants were drawn. A 2nd publishing of the documents took place. A new traffic forecasting (a nationwide forecasting from the Federal Ministry of Transport) for the 2025 traffic forecast was provided in 2010. Thereby, the plans were adapted again. The documents were again published in June 2011.
Since 2011, there were a lot of discussions, especially about the Enztal crossing and the noise protection. Still no agreement.....

The estimated costs for the 4.8km section were 90 million € in 2008, see project page. The AADT 2005 was 70,000 vehicles/day (14% truck share). The AADT 2010 was about 80,000 vehicles b/n i/c North and i/c East, 70,000 b/n i/c East and i/c South (source). The AADT 2025 forecast is 100,000 vehicles/day (25% truck share).
Old June 28th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #6555
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Construction sites have a fixed cost for being kept active, regardless of level of activity: overhead, safety supervision, mobilization of administrative staff, security of premises etc.

So right now Germany has a lot of highway projects that move on a sloth-pace. Several years to complete a few kms of otherwise non-descriptive highway construction. Germany states would be better off if, among the list of projects slated for completion in 10-12 years, instead of starting - say -20 projects taking 10 years each, they started 4 projects at a time, taking only 2 years to complete each one, fast. Then, move on to the next project. And so on.

At the end of a decade, roughly the same amount of projects would be opened anyway as on slow-motion construction, but they would cost less, because resources would be concentrated on a smaller number of active project sites. Of course projects scheduled to begin years ahead would be completed later than the first ones, but likely not later than they would if all projects started at the same time.

Another advantage of this approach is to minimize traffic disruption.
Old June 29th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #6556
primezz

Likes (Received): 5122

south africa and namibia only african countries that adopted german road signage.

primezz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #6557
MichiH

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/e...-13016325.html

Quote:
Die EU-Kommission hat nichts gegen eine Pkw-Maut, schreibt EU-Verkehrskommissar Siim Kallas in der Frankfurter Allgemeinen Sonntagszeitung. Aber sie darf in Deutschland nicht einfach mit der Kfz-Steuer verrechnet werden.

The EU commission has no problem with a car toll but Germany is not allowed to charge it with the car tax.
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #6558
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Then they simply must not refund the vignette against the car tax, but lower the car tax for all, if you buy a vignette or not.

They might also say that the car tax includes the vignette automatically.

But at the end of the day, the EU commission is not the final instance to lawmaking.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 03:38 AM   #6559
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

In this case the EU commission has the power to veto any law which discrimates EU citizens.

I don´t see any possibility how Herr Dobrindt could introduce a toll on German highways only for foreigners. Either all drivers pay or nobody. Simple as that.
What Is Love?
Old June 30th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #6560
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
Then they simply must not refund the vignette against the car tax, but lower the car tax for all, if you buy a vignette or not.

They might also say that the car tax includes the vignette automatically.

But at the end of the day, the EU commission is not the final instance to lawmaking.
As I understand it, lowering the tax and introducing the vignette is the only legal route, unless Germany required all vehicles on German roads to pay the road tax.

But I don't think it will happen. Merkel was against the vignette in the 2013 election campaign, and the SPD won't cry if the CSU don't get their pet policy into law. The experts are coming out against it, and they might lose significant income from the car tax if they have to reduce the cost by 100 Euro/year.

Including it in the car tax won't happen, as it would discriminate against EU citizens if the cost of the tax is lower than the cost of the vignette.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau