daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #6681
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Probably they could just split the maintenance, without the burden (and cost) of building a toll system

But still, I don't think the "Austrian corridor" really burdens that much the German road budget (or even only the Bavarian one).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #6682
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
An awfully expensive toll there would just lead to another legal case. A moderate toll, however, could a way to settle the issue of making Austrians pay for its transit through Germany without effecting the relations to all the other neighbouring countries.

Something similar would be needed for the short route through the Berchtesgadener Land as well as the long route via Deggendorf.
I don't think you want to burden Austrians and locals alike in the Kleines Deutsche Eck. It's not only a small amount of Austrians using that route for transit, but there's also tourism and the Therme in Bad Reichenhall. They will be staying away then. If you are going to slap a toll on the Austrian transitroute through Germany, stick with motorways only.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #6683
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I don't think you want to burden Austrians and locals alike in the Kleines Deutsche Eck. It's not only a small amount of Austrians using that route for transit, but there's also tourism and the Therme in Bad Reichenhall. They will be staying away then. If you are going to slap a toll on the Austrian transitroute through Germany, stick with motorways only.
People in that area vote overwhelmingly CSU. So they seem to want some kind of road pricing with all the consequence. And there is no reason why we should except non-motorways from such a toll scheme.
Old July 10th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #6684
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
People in that area vote overwhelmingly CSU. So they seem to want some kind of road pricing with all the consequence. And there is no reason why we should except non-motorways from such a toll scheme.
People in Bavaria vote for CSU because they have always done so.
On the contrary, less and less people vote for them.
And they have always been a little populistic.

This project however is a real disappointment.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 11:44 PM   #6685
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
People in Bavaria vote for CSU because they have always done so.
Then it's about time they face the consequences of voting without thinking

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:22 AM   #6686
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

How would rank Germany when it comes to construction speeds of roadways on 1-5 scale, with 5 being the slowest?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #6687
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
How would rank Germany when it comes to construction speeds of roadways on 1-5 scale, with 5 being the slowest?
About seven.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #6688
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

It isn't so bad - they actually build the roads. Many places plan or talk and never build anything.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:47 AM   #6689
flierfy

Quote:
2 - Some project might be painfully dragging. But overall road construction is still reasonably fast.
Old July 11th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #6690
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Quote:
It varies a lot. Some are off scale, while others are reasonably fast. The main problem is that state-built projects are very fragmented, 3-4 years for 3-7 km at a time. At that pace it takes a decade to widen a longer stretch of Autobahn. Just look at how A8 Karlsruhe - Stuttgart drags on. Concession projects are much faster, they widened 75 kilometers of A1 Hamburg - Bremen in 4 years.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #6691
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
And there is no reason why we should except non-motorways from such a toll scheme.
When you say "we", are you being sarcastic towards the locals? Or is this your opinion as well?
Old July 11th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #6692
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

We must differ widening projects and new roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
they widened 75 kilometers of A1 Hamburg - Bremen in 4 years.
I think that should be a "2". A "1" would be 2 years. A "3" means within ten years, A "4" within 20 years, a "5" within more than 20 years.

A1 Hamburg - Bremen (75km, PPP): 2
A1 Ahlhorn - Osnabrück (75km): 3(-4)
A3 Aschaffenburg - Würzburg (90km): 4(-5)
A8 Ulm - Augsburg (45km, PPP): 2
A8 Augsburg - Munich (50km, PPP): 2
A8 Karlsruhe - Stuttgart (50km): 4(-5)

I think German widening projects should be ranked to 3 or 4.
In general, it varies a lot!
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #6693
flierfy

Quote:
When you say "we", are you being sarcastic towards the locals? Or is this your opinion as well?
I have no reason to be sarcastic. As I stated above, the locals voted in favour of a toll scheme. They can't complain when they get what they voted for.
Old July 11th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #6694
Road_UK
BANNED

True. It's different in the border region with Holland. Today Dutch and German mayors of towns alongside the border have met on the border today and exchanged hands. A video of this meeting is to be sent to Berlin, as they are NOT in favour of tolling the roads. Borders in that region have ceased to exist a long time ago, and Germans and Dutch people work,shop and go out on both sides of the border, and have families as well on both sides.

A similar situation in Kehl, the German border town with Strasbourg in France. 40 percent of the shoppers in Kehl are French, and traffic between Kehl and Strasbourg is heavy on a daily basis with workers, shoppers and family visitors. No border there. The Gemeinderat of Kehl is very angry!

http://www.kehl.de/stadt/verwaltung/...n/20140709.php
Old July 12th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #6695
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

Same here near the Dutch border. Local businesses are not happy about the Maut.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #6696
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8708

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Once upon a time that was true, but not anymore. Now all EU regulations and directives are enacted only by agreement between the Council and the Parliament.
That is not true. I just happend to know a field very well where the Council acts almost exclusively as the sole lawmaker and that is taxation.

Writing an paper about this piece of legislation right now: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...4L0048&from=EN

Quote:
Primary EU law is binding on both member states and individuals (and businesses). Secondary EU law is binding on individuals (and businesses).
Also not very accurate. Primary law is normally just binding on the member states and the EU as such. Only in matters where the Van Gend & Loos criteria is met individuals may be bound by primary law as well.

Secondary law also usually binds the member states as most bills passed (that are not just amendments and technical regulations) are in the form of directives which have to be transformed into national law in order to have any binding effect on individuals (notwithstanding situations where it is binding on a horizontal level due to cases of direct effects). Almost every directive even has an own article stating that "This Directive is addressed to the Member States." at the very end of each bill. At least I haven't come across a single directive yet missing that phrase.

Penn's Woods liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #6697
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8708

Quote:
An individual would have to start with the German courts and exhaust all appeals before going to the ECJ.
1) This is not the ECtHR where national remedies have to be exhausted. Any court/tribunal could initiate a preliminary ruling.

2) It is not up to the complainant, whether the case ends up infront of the ECJ (his own words). Totally up to the national courts if they ask for a preliminary ruling or not. This might expose the MS to state liability claims, but this does not change the general concept.
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #6698
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:
True. It's different in the border region with Holland. Today Dutch and German mayors of towns alongside the border have met on the border today and exchanged hands. A video of this meeting is to be sent to Berlin, as they are NOT in favour of tolling the roads. Borders in that region have ceased to exist a long time ago, and Germans and Dutch people work,shop and go out on both sides of the border, and have families as well on both sides.

A similar situation in Kehl, the German border town with Strasbourg in France. 40 percent of the shoppers in Kehl are French, and traffic between Kehl and Strasbourg is heavy on a daily basis with workers, shoppers and family visitors. No border there. The Gemeinderat of Kehl is very angry!

http://www.kehl.de/stadt/verwaltung/...n/20140709.php
I think with such opposition, it's simply not going to go ahead. Such systems might work in Romania where cross-border integration is low, but some of those areas on the Western border effectively function as one town. I'm pretty sure that the mayors of Zgorzelec-Gorlitz will also be angry about this, given that they've tried so, so hard to integrate the towns.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #6699
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
I have no reason to be sarcastic. As I stated above, the locals voted in favour of a toll scheme. They can't complain when they get what they voted for.
Actually the toll was the idea of CSU, and this party exits only in Bavaria. So people that don't live in bavaria (approx. 85% of German population) did not vote in favor of any toll. Additionally, CSU had approx. 50% in Bavaria, which is quite impressive but in this case it means that only 8% of the German population voted for CSU (more precisely it was 8.1% of the votes in all-German level).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #6700
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
only 8% of the German population voted for CSU (more precisely it was 8.1% of the votes in all-German level).
Voting the CSU does not mean to favor a car toll!

Wahl des geringeren Übels (voting the lower evil).

ChrisZwolle, Kanadzie liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau