daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #6881
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

What do you mean, it is the motorway Munich-Salzburg (current A8)?
The photo is probably mirrored. As far as I know not any left hand drive nation had such a motorway in the 1930's or 40's.

Large Size HERE.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #6882
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

http://www.ln-online.de/Lokales/Osth...-im-Riesenstau

According to the Lübecker Nachrichten there was a 25 kilometer queue at the Puttgarden - Rødby ferry last Saturday. One of the ferries was out of order on the busiest day of the year.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #6883
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8964

Jagdberg tunnel (A4 near Jena) construction update

What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #6884
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I have a question: are there any plans to deploy draining porous asphalt on German Autobahn network? Some timeline or program to at least lay it near towns and/or curvy sectors? What about noise barriers - I know they like to plant trees everywhere alongside roads, but what about a large-scale program to mitigate noise with barriers + porous asphalt?

It would solve the problem of some routes that have those lame 120 km/h nighttime restrictions around towns for noise reductions purposes.
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #6885
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It would solve the problem of some routes that have those lame 120 km/h nighttime restrictions around towns for noise reductions purposes.
To fix that means to spend money. To not fix it, leave the limit and speed trap people means to make money.

What do you think they'll do ? Realistically ?

mcarling liked this post
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #6886
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Germany...

A groundbreaking ceremony of a simple village bypass took place on 14th September 2009. The Federal Minister of Transport was there. Road length: 4.7km. Announced completion: July 2013. Total costs: 29.9 million €.

The preliminary works were announced to begin on 29th October 2012 (press release of the road authority five days earlier) and to be completed until December 2012. Costs: 0.36 million €.

More preliminary works were announced to begin on 11th November 2013 (press release of the road authority five days earlier) and to be completed until April 2014.

A press release of the road authority was published on 9th December 2013: Problems with land acquisition. The construction of bridges will begin in spring 2014, earthworks will begin in summer 2015. The completion of the road is delayed, 2017 instead of 2015.

The road authority published a press release today: More preliminary works will begin on 12th August. The works will be completed until late August 2014.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #6887
mariusvonbucovina

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
I have a question: are there any plans to deploy draining porous asphalt on German Autobahn network? Some timeline or program to at least lay it near towns and/or curvy sectors? What about noise barriers - I know they like to plant trees everywhere alongside roads, but what about a large-scale program to mitigate noise with barriers + porous asphalt?

Just heard over the radio, announcing the closure of one direction of A40 around Bochum, for tomorrow. Reason: new low-noise asphalt (Flüsterasphalt).

Suburbanist liked this post
mariusvonbucovina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #6888
muc

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:

Porous asphalt was first used in 2006 when the A9 was widened north of Munich between Garching and Neufahrn.
The experience with that wasn't all good. The surface started crumbling after just a few years ago so it had to be completely repaved after 7 years. Normal asphalt lasts up to 20 years. The problem is that water gets into the pores breaking the asphalt open when freezing.
Also the noise reducing effect had waned significantly over time.
German newspaper article

Seems to be quite a waste of money, at least in climates where temperatures drop below freezing regularly.
muc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #6889
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Porous pavement requires preventive maintenance, rather than reactive maintenance (i.e. waiting until it starts to fall apart). It's well-known that porous pavement doesn't last as long as concrete asphalt or concrete. This shouldn't've been a surprise to the German authorities. It also needs to be cleaned from time to time to keep its noise-reducing properties.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #6890
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

They blocked Western ring in Ingolstadt for 2 weeks now to renew the "Flüsterasphalt" there...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 04:59 PM   #6891
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

I think porous asphalt's pros are way greater than its cons. When I lived in Germany, I remember this one time on the A9 near Garching, that all traffic had basically to stop because the heavy rain caused something like fog... with all the risks this implies. In Italy I never had this problem, even under heavy rain...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #6892
Suburbanist
on the road

It is important to remember the "porous" layer is just the upper one. You don't need to do a full repaving job when replacing this type of asphalt. You can lay it over concrete subbase actually
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #6893
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

A7 widening north of Hamburg delayed

The widening of the A7 is in delay. The signing of the contracts took longer, so the actual roadworks will be postponed by six months.

http://www.abendblatt.de/region/schl...gert-sich.html
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #6894
MichiH

The works will start in February/March 2015 instead of September 2014.
Old August 9th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #6895
MichiH

B49 Limburg - Wetzlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The B49 is an important west-east connection in Hesse. It connects the A3 with the A45/A5 near Gießen (OSM).

- Section 3 from Deponie Beselich to Beselich/Merenberg is u/c. The B49 is getting a new route thus 2 carriageways are built. Construction time: May 2011 to late 2016 (OSM; 3.4km). The groundbreaking ceremony for section 2 and 3 has happened in October 2009, but the complains were rejected not till February 2011.
According to the project page and a news article, the B49 section near Beselich will be completed until late 2017 now.
Old August 9th, 2014, 11:24 AM   #6896
MichiH

A71 Sangerhausen - Erfurt

Quote:
There is no building freeze, the works are only suspended in the affected section. An element of risk remains and cannot be eliminated. The disruptions are on 1.7km, the entire section has a length of 11.4km. The ground will be changed there. The construction time will last about 6 month longer whereby the section will probably be completed in summer 2015, see press release of the state's Transport Ministry.
The last A71 section b/n Etzleben and Sömmerda is announced to be completed until August 2015 (source; Landtag of Thuringia).
Old August 9th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #6897
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
The last A71 section b/n Etzleben and Sömmerda is announced to be completed until August 2015 (source; Landtag of Thuringia).
It was about time!
Old August 9th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #6898
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

When are the hard shoulders on A8 from Autrian border to intersection with A93 going to be build ?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #6899
MichiH

The stretch has a length of about 70km. It is planned to upgrade the 2x2 lanes w/o hard shoulders Autobahn to 2x3 with hard shoulders. It's still a hard fight with the NIMBYs. The sections east of i/c Felden are only further demand in the BVWP 2003 but a so-called unpredictable demand was approved in October 2007 so that the planning procedure could begin.

The replacement of the Talbrücke Bergen is on-going (OSM; viaduct length over 350m). The works begun in May 2010 and are announced to be completed by November 2014. In total 1.3km are u/c (width for 2x3 lanes).

The plan approval procedure of the western-most section begun in July 2014 (OSM; about 8km b/n i/c Rosenheim and east of i/c Achenmühle). In best-case the works could start there in 2017. I guess not till 2020.

As far as I know, the plan approval procedure of the next 8km section could also begin "soon" (the approval of the Federal Minstry of Transport was already signed more than 2 years ago).

The entire stretch will not have hard shoulders by 2030.
Old August 10th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #6900
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
According to the project page and a news article, the B49 section near Beselich will be completed until late 2017 now.
A by-pass of an already by-passed village, what an idiocy. It just highlights the second-rate nature of the B 49 dualling. A completed A 48 would have spared us from such a wasteful solution.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau