daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #6901
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

A man has appeared in court in the German city of Wuerzberg accused of firing more than 700 bullets at vehicles on motorways over five years.

The man, identified as Michael Harry K, 58, had talked of a "war on the autobahn", according to police.

He is accused of venting his anger at bad drivers in a spree that left one woman seriously wounded.

He faces five charges of attempted murder and a lengthy prison sentence if found guilty.

Among those targeted were a 40-year-old woman who was shot in the neck and seriously hurt in 2009, and two men who were injured by shattered glass.

Numerous cars and lorries were left with bullet holes in their sides.

The defence has rejected the charges of attempted murder. The suspect, described by prosecutors as a "frustrated loner", told police that he had aimed to shoot the vehicles and not their drivers.

The case was widely reported in Germany and police had warned that the man had to be caught before the attacks proved fatal.

They offered a reward of 100,000 euros (£85,000; $134,000) for evidence to help bring the gunman to justice, BBC Berlin correspondent Stephen Evans reports.

But they were unable to catch the man for five years, partly because drivers did not immediately realise their vehicles had been hit and partly because German data protection laws prevented investigators from using CCTV footage from motorway toll-booths.

They eventually set up their own motorway surveillance methods leading to the man's arrest.

He then led police to a stash of some 1,300 bullets and two guns.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28741373
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #6902
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Eh, but privacy is sacrosanct.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #6903
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I was just thinking that. They can't even investigate a crime scene through existing CCTV because of the data protection act. How stupid is that!

Bender liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #6904
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I was just thinking that. They can't even investigate a crime scene through existing CCTV because of the data protection act. How stupid is that!
That would indeed be a farce if it was true. Police and State Attorneys can always use video survaillance under Sec 100a Criminal Procedure Act.
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #6905
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Motorway toll booths in Germany?

There is more in this BBC article from 2013:
Quote:
The police were not allowed to use information from existing cameras on roads because of concerns about privacy and had to set up their own, our correspondent says.

Prior to Sunday's raid, investigators compared licence plate data with the routes of vehicles that had been targeted, the regional public broadcaster SWR reports.

Information from mobile phone masts by the motorways where the shootings had taken place was also analysed.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-23045280

I guess the truth is somwhere in the middle. It would be interesting to read this part of the story from a German source.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; August 11th, 2014 at 08:00 PM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #6906
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

The guy, a truck driver, mainly shot on car carrier trailer. He said that I did it because he was pushed aside by a car carrier trailer years ago.

The guy was finally caught by a movement profile which was done by a cell phone analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Among those targeted were a 40-year-old woman who was shot in the neck and seriously hurt in 2009
It happened on the A3 near Würzburg. The woman was hit by a ricochet. I drove there about one hour earlier in 2009...
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #6907
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
It would be interesting to read this part of the story from a German source.
http://www.n-tv.de/panorama/Kennzeic...e10874526.html (June 2013)

Quote:
An strategischen Stellen auf den betroffenen Autobahnabschnitten positionierte ein Einsatzkommando verdeckte Kennzeichenlesegeräte.
Nach einem neuen Anschlag wurden demnach die gespeicherten Daten mit der Fahrtroute des beschossenen Lkw abgeglichen. Auch Verbindungsdaten von Mobilfunkmasten nahe der Strecken wurden verwendet.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old August 11th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #6908
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Are they also talking about this CCTV issue?

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old August 11th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #6909
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Almost the same thing in Serbia :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYUV...yer_detailpage
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #6910
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Are they also talking about this CCTV issue?
No but they used a similar system. They used 7 mobile license plate readers. They've checked the data after the next incident and compared it with cell phone data. The CCTV of the toll-booths record the same data but they are not allowed to be used.........

The main problem was that the drivers of the trucks didn't recognized during the drive that the cars on the trailer were hit. They were not able to tell the police where the crime scene was.

The mobile license plate reader helped to create a driving profile of the car carrier trailer (where on which time). They've checked which cell phones were logged-in near that routes. One day, only one cell phone was left over...
Old August 11th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #6911
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
Almost the same thing in Serbia
Reminds me a bit of this lovely video

Sorry for OT
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #6912
muc

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Motorway toll booths in Germany?
There aren't any. But I guess he meant those automated overhead devices of the truck tolling system, AFAIK they are equipped with cameras.

Wilhem275 liked this post
muc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #6913
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
http://www.ln-online.de/Lokales/Osth...-im-Riesenstau

According to the Lübecker Nachrichten there was a 25 kilometer queue at the Puttgarden - Rødby ferry last Saturday. One of the ferries was out of order on the busiest day of the year.
I was coming the other way and there were cars in line even before the Fehmarn bridge. On the Rødby side i only waited only one hour - still they were handing out free water and bags of candy in the ferry area. It gave me a fright so i took the Great belt going back. For being busiest day of the year the autobahns were ok. I had no stau at all for the Puttgarden - Venlo. Then going back this saturday no stau either, i went Schengen - Heidelberg - Flensburg.
Old August 12th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #6914
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

E233

The Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung reports the expansion of E233 (B402-B213-B72) from A31 at Meppen to A1 at Emstek to a four-lane divided highway will cost € 719 million. It could be a PPP project to speed it up. It will probably take 20 years or more if this project was to be traditionally funded through the state budget.

http://www.noz.de/lokales/meppen/art...millionen-euro
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #6915
MichiH

It's forbidden to publish road videos!

http://www.br.de/nachrichten/mittelf...sbach-100.html

Quote:
Verwaltungsgericht Ansbach (Bayern): Es sei unzulässig mit den Dashcams Aufnahmen zu machen, die später ins Internet gestellt, auf Youtube oder Facebook hochgeladen oder Dritten – etwa der Polizei vermittelt werden.
Administration court Ansbach (Bavaria): It is not allowed to publish videos or to forward videos to the police which were recorded with by dashcam!
Old August 12th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #6916
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Quote:
Autofahrer, die Videos mit Dashcams speziell dafür drehten, sie später im Internet zu veröffentlichen oder der Polizei zur Verfügung zu stellen, verstießen damit gegen das Datenschutzgesetz. Denn die Datenschutzinteressen der heimlich Gefilmten seien höher zu bewerten als das Interesse des Autofahrers an einem Videobeweis für den Fall eines Unfalls.
I have no words for these things, but it seems the average German agrees with this. That someone would make a movement profile of people is regarded as a mortal sin here.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #6917
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post

I have no words for these things, but it seems the average German agrees with this. That someone would make a movement profile of people is regarded as a mortal sin here.
They can't even make a movement profile from being filmed once.
[sarcasm]
One day, people will only go out in a burka, because they might be seen.
Not just by cameras, but even by real people! Oh my God!
[/sarcasm]

BTW, I heard on the radio that making dashboard videos for private purposes is not automatically illegal. They named "landscape movies" as a possible purpose. Well, there will always be a road on the movie with cars on it. And putting a video on youtube or other social networks can still be considered private, can't it?

The man in question, on the other, claimed to use his dashboard camera for documentation in case of an accident. Here, data protection rules are broken, says the court.

But hey, this is only one court. Other courts can make other decisions (although a precedent has been created now) At the end of the process, the Bundesverfassungsgericht (Constitutionaö Court) will decide. This will take years though.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #6918
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I was at the phone with a friend living in Bonn, and we were discussing live the ridiculousness of this whole situation

Old August 12th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #6919
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 118

Germans usually love to get an opportunity to complain about anything meaningless no matter how ludicrous it is. And if they can point to a sub-paragraph of an obscure law with a complicated name to prove how right they are --> rejoice and hard-on

Heico-M, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #6920
MichiH

Upcoming openings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
11th August 2014: A8 2x3 widening b/n Adelsried and Neusäß (8.2km; OSM; u/c since August 2011)
26th August 2014: B28 Oberkirch and Lautenbach bypass (4.5km; OSM; u/c since May 2007)
28th August 2014: A1 2x3 widening b/n AK Münster-South (A43) and Dortmund-Ems-Canal bridge (3.2km; OSM; u/c since October 2012)
Late August Late September 2014: B256 Rengsdorf bypass (4.2km; OSM; u/c since July 2006)
Late August 2014: B462 Dunningen bypass (6.4km; OSM; u/c since September 2009)
August 2014: A62 2nd carriageway b/n south of Weselberg to Schwarzbach viaduct (3.6km; OSM; u/c since September 2013)

5th September 2014: B243 Bad Lauterberg - Bad Sachsa (8.6km; OSM; u/c since October 2008; 2x2)
13th September 2014: A66 Neuhof-South - Neuhof-North (4.6km; OSM; u/c since October 2005; 2x2)
13th September 2014: B25 Wallerstein and Ehringen bypass (3.6 km; OSM; u/c since June 2013; partial 2+1)
17th September 2014: A4 Düren - Kerpen [direction Cologne] (11.6km; OSM; u/c since September 2008; 1x3)
20th September 2014: A4 Düren - Kerpen [direction Aachen] (11.6km; OSM; u/c since September 2008; 2x3)
Mid September 2014: A8 2x3 widening b/n Günzburg and west of Burgau (7.3km; OSM; u/c since August 2011)
Mid September 2014: B255 Niederahr - Oberahr (2.3km; OSM; u/c since July 2007)
September 2014: A4 Magdala - Jena-Göschwitz (11.8km; OSM; u/c since May 2007; 2x3)
September 2014: B85 2+1 widening b/n March and Metten (1.5km; OSM; u/c since August 2013)
September 2014: B521 Nidderau bypass, 1st section (1.7km; OSM; u/c since September 2009)
September 2014: B41 2x2 widening Ingelheim-West (A60) - Ingelheim (0.7km; OSM; u/c since September 2013)
29th September 2014: A281 Bremen-Seehausen - Bremen-Strom (4.1km; OSM; u/c since April 2009; 2x2)
Late September 2014: A8 2x3 widening b/n east of Burgau and Zusmarshausen (5.7km; OSM; u/c since August 2011)
I drove the A8 today. The section b/n Adelsried and Neusäß is 2x3 in service. The Rengsdorf bypass is delayed by one month (source).

ChrisZwolle, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau