daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #6941
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

A8 west of München will be 2x3 by 2015 (in Bavaria), so they can shift focus to A8 Rosenheim - Innsbruck.

But if you look at the traffic volumes, A8 east of Rosenheim is clearly less important than some other motorways. It carries in the 45,000 - 60,000 vehicles per day range. Which is a fairly busy 2x2 motorway, but not very congested except during holiday peaks. Widening this part of A8 is not just a matter of adding a strip of pavement, it likely needs some realignment here and there, replacement of every bridge, probably some noise tunnels and a twice as wide footprint, which drives up the cost considerably.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #6942
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A8 west of München will be 2x3 by 2015 (in Bavaria), so they can shift focus to A8 Rosenheim - Innsbruck.
I don't get it.

Planning ressources? The A8 widening b/n Ulm and Munich was a PPP project.

Funding? The same. PPP. You cannot compare... A99 widening is more important also A3/A6 in northern Bavaria and there are some expensive projects like B2 Oberau tunnel, B15 Rosenheim bypass, A94,...
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #6943
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

And Rosenheim to Innsbruck is under full maintenance as we speak. That's why I don't believe in speculations from a 1000 miles away based on so many vehicles a day. Come here, live here for a bit and use these roads yourself before you make judgments based on data. And then tell us what should be done. Not when you're not familiar with the area and only making judgments based on numbers from a website.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #6944
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
And Rosenheim to Innsbruck is under full maintenance as we speak. That's why I don't believe in speculations from a 1000 miles away based on so many vehicles a day. Come here, live here for a bit and use these roads yourself before you make judgments based on data. And then tell us what should be done. Not when you're not familiar with the area and only making judgments based on numbers from a website.
Numbers are the only way to assess the need of enlargement of a road or a new road altogether. You can't rely on "come live here and see for yourself", otherwise every road in the world would need enlargement.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #6945
MichiH

I've not driven the A8 east of Rosenheim in the past 20 years but as far as I know the surface is really bad, isn't it? I guess they have to renew the surface before the first section will be widened. "orks will not begin before 2020 b/c of the planning bureaucracy and NIMBYs. Afterwards, the funding is the next hurdle...

The missing hard shoulders are also poor.
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #6946
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

I'd prefer not to meet any orks there
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #6947
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A8 widening is a good candidate for a PPP project, in fact most longer distance widening projects are. They could be reimbursed by truck toll income, but that is costing the government revenue. The standard PPP is an availability payment from the government.
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #6948
MichiH

PPP has one disadvantage. All sections need a plan approval order before the works begin. That means, groundbreaking 2025+ (best case).
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #6949
MichiH

Some pics of the A8 Salzburg - Rosenheim taken by Stephan (http://autobahn-bilder.de/inlines/a8b.htm - I guess taken in 2011/12 Talbrücke Bergen u/c)

Old August 18th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #6950
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's why we have just one plan approval procedure for the whole project in the Netherlands. I think cutting it up in multiple short stretches is something you'll mainly see in Germany.

You reported once that some plan approval orders (planfeststellingsbeschluß) are prepared by only 2 or 3 people in I think it was Baden-Württemberg. Do they do this inhouse at the ministry?
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #6951
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You reported once that some plan approval orders (planfeststellingsbeschluß) are prepared by only 2 or 3 people in I think it was Baden-Württemberg. Do they do this inhouse at the ministry?
It's the "Regierungspräsidium" in Baden-Württemberg (regional board / regional commission). In Bavaria it's the ABDSB / ABDNB (Autobahn authority north/southern Bavaria). It's usually done inhouse. Most of the state's are members of the DEGES meanwhile (but neither Baden-Württemberg nor Bavaria). The Baden-Württemberg problem is caused by the 1990th austerity (CDU/FDP government). The current green-red government undo it now.
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #6952
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I've not driven the A8 east of Rosenheim in the past 20 years but as far as I know the surface is really bad, isn't it? I guess they have to renew the surface before the first section will be widened. "orks will not begin before 2020 b/c of the planning bureaucracy and NIMBYs. Afterwards, the funding is the next hurdle...

The missing hard shoulders are also poor.
A8 east of Rosenheim has perfect surface all the way to Salzburg. To me the only problem is lack of hard shoulder in places. A93 Rosenheim to Kiefersfelden is a different story. It has the worst surface, but roadworks are now in progress and there has been resurfacing going on for nearly 2 years now, which is shamefully long actually. The French can build a brand new motorway the same length within a week.
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #6953
MichiH

Sorry, I've mistaken A8 and A93... You're right . Missing hard shoulders is bad but not essential.

Road_UK liked this post
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #6954
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post

Numbers are the only way to assess the need of enlargement of a road or a new road altogether. You can't rely on "come live here and see for yourself", otherwise every road in the world would need enlargement.
Yes you can. You need to look at the time of traffic, types of traffic etc. For example traffic jams from Rosenheim to Innsbruck occur mainly on Saturday's in the winter only. Is that reason enough to widen the entire stretch? According to some who have never even been here it is.
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #6955
MichiH

Quote:
Is that reason enough to widen the entire stretch?
C'mon. AADT. The first A means average....... Peaks are not essential.
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #6956
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Yes you can. You need to look at the time of traffic, types of traffic etc. For example traffic jams from Rosenheim to Innsbruck occur mainly on Saturday's in the winter only. Is that reason enough to widen the entire stretch? According to some who have never even been here it is.
So, like 10 days out of 365.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #6957
Road_UK
BANNED

Every Saturday from Christmas to April. And on these days it is a hell of a lot, I can tell you. Nobody is going anywhere.
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #6958
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post

C'mon. AADT. The first A means average....... Peaks are not essential.
Well that's the thing. There are no peak hours in these neck of the woods. Only peak periods. Even the A99 around Munich mainly gets congested due to holiday traffic only. Not commuter traffic.
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #6959
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
Well that's the thing. There are no peak hours in these neck of the woods. Only peak periods. Even the A99 around Munich mainly gets congested due to holiday traffic only. Not commuter traffic.
Yes I spend a lot of time in Munich but hardly ever drive A99. Expanding A99 past the South West to A95-A96 would offer some relieve but I believe there was some research to various alternatives but it has been fridged again.
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #6960
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post

Yes I spend a lot of time in Munich but hardly ever drive A99. Expanding A99 past the South West to A95-A96 would offer some relieve but I believe there was some research to various alternatives but it has been fridged again.
The bulk of holiday traffic uses A99 East, the "Ostumfahrung". That is where the congestions are. Coming from Nürnberg and heading towards Salzburg or Innsbruck there aren't that many alternatives for those who don't know the area. I do know the area, so coming from Nürnberg I head towards the airport and cut across via Markt Schwaben, Ebersberg and Bad Ailbing, only adding 10 mins to the journey as if the motorway is running normal. All minor B and L roads.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau