daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #681
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

Right. This is close to (~20 km) polish border. This bumpy section is ~8 km long.

pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #682
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Really cool Autobahn video:

Old March 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #683
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Funny, how can you upload such a long video on youtube?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #684
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat
If he only would put some better music on it.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #685
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Funny, how can you upload such a long video on youtube?
You actually can, if you make your account into a "Director" account. As far as I know, anyone can do it, which simply means that you agree not to post any copyrighted material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
If he only would put some better music on it.
Haha can't agree more I actually added a "music warning" originally in my post, but then edited it out, since I didn't want this thread to go off-topic if someone disagreed
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #686
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Hello,

I'm doing a project on the Autobahn, mainly its history, its construction methods, and its effect on German society for a school project. Does anyone know any sites with trustworthy information? Also, if anyone has pictures of Autobahn, I would really really appreciate it if I would be given the chance to view some. Thanks!
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #687
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

Look through this thread for information and pictures. You can also check wikipedia
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #688
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Hello,

I'm doing a project on the Autobahn, mainly its history, its construction methods, and its effect on German society for a school project. Does anyone know any sites with trustworthy information? Also, if anyone has pictures of Autobahn, I would really really appreciate it if I would be given the chance to view some. Thanks!
Check the pictures in my signature. I have hundreds of pics from the Autobahn.

The Autobahn is said to be the first modern freeway, though i think the New York Parkways are the predecessor of the autobahn. Italy is also said to have the first modern freeway, but that road didn't have a median.
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #689
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

One story that I heard a few years ago was that German highway engineers visited the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut in the early 1930s to get ideas for their earliest autobahns, although I'm not sure how true that is. The Pennsylvania Turnpike was modeled after the earliest autobahns and we all in here (should) know of Dwight D. Eisenhower's military experiences regarding roads before he became USA President in 1953.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #690
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post

Look through this thread for information and pictures. You can also check wikipedia
Thanks to everyone for such quick responses Ahhh and one note, my teacher is not allowing wikipedia as a source. Does anyone know any primary sources that I could check out? There is absolutely nothing in the school library on the autobahn. Thanks to everyone again!
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #691
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post

This video is way too fast.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #692
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

here are three links in english:
http://www.autobahn-online.de/geschichte_e.html
http://www.german-way.com/autobahn.html
http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/autobahn.htm
you'll also find more links on these sites
if you have additional or detailed questions, feel free to ask
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #693
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

i like it left-aligned!

Last edited by Patrick; March 20th, 2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #694
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

I was on the road again today, around Frankfurt again...and here are some pics:

first, pics taken from bridges:

A648, heading to Frankfurt

A5 in Frankfurt

and now pics from driving:
as i like zoomed pics on autobahns, i tried to make some.

A5, heading to Frankfurter Kreuz. Note that München is usually signed via Würzburg, but because of a traffic jam, you are lead via Stuttgart.

this is, for comparison, the usual sign

one of the very few signs with four arrows leading to the same directions on the same sign, on the A5 between Frankfurt and Darmstadt

you may remember this picture: that is the sign which has been changed and renewed

rippachtal.de

this sign says: a cloverleaf is growing here.
that's the sign for a construction at exit Weiterstadt.

green signs at the Frankfurt Airport. And they're not using the Din1451 font. But Arial. Würg.

old signs on a divided Landstraße in Frankfurt

and now the zoom pics, from the A3 from Frankfurt to Köln.

Old March 21st, 2008, 07:12 AM   #695
HAWC1506

Thank you sooo much for all the help. I've been getting quite a few notecards done from the sites that have been posted. From the pictures that were posted above though, it looks as if the Autobahn is almost constantly congested. Is it safe to say that?
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:10 AM   #696
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

well, the A3 and the A5 are two of the busiest highways in Germany at their interchange is said to be one of the most busiest in europe

the A5 has a lot of traffic there because it goes through the Rhein-Main urban area.
the A3 is one of the three autobahns which connects the Rhein-Main-Area (2nd biggest german agglomeration) with the Rhein-Ruhr-Area (biggest german agglomeration) (distance: 200-250km) so it's no wonder that there is a lot of traffic even in the rural area.

to the contrary, there are autobahns like the A60 through the Eifel range, which is told be so quiet that you could sleep on the road at night and you would wake up still living next morning

edit: one more picture of the A3 south of Frankfurt

Last edited by Patrick; March 21st, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM   #697
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Thank you sooo much for all the help. I've been getting quite a few notecards done from the sites that have been posted. From the pictures that were posted above though, it looks as if the Autobahn is almost constantly congested. Is it safe to say that?
Nah, that's not very true. The problem is that quite a few major transport axes are still only 2x2 lanes, and carry tremendous amounts of truck traffic. That reduces capacity hugely, if it were fewer trucks, and more cars, there wouldn't be a problem.

According to www.verkehrsinfo.de, the average rushhour accumulates about 100km of traffic jams during the morning, and 134km during the evening rush. Compare that to the Dutch rushhours, which usually accumulated near 300km. You have to bear in mind that the Netherlands has a 5 times smaller population.

Something i find more remarkable on German traffic jams, is that if in the case of one closed lane, Germans don't seem to know how to merge, it looks like they just drive to the end, stop, and try to merge. This creates a huge delay in short traffic jams, i once spend one hour in a 1km traffic jam on a sunday in Düsseldorf.
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM   #698
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Compare that to the Dutch rushhours, which usually accumulated near 300km. You have to bear in mind that the Netherlands has a 5 times smaller population.
you have to bear in mind that the Netherlands is 8-9 times smaller in size, and so it has like double population density.

better compare the Netherlands with Bundesland Northrine-Westphalia. The differences come out even more clear then. Nearly same size and population, but much less congestion

and for the merging thing: true in many cases, not always. but you dutchies have more experiences with jams.
Old March 21st, 2008, 03:19 PM   #699
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, NRW is more dense, hence a more efficient public transportation, and not unimportant, the unemployment is nearly 3 times as high, over 9%. On 18 million people, of which nearly 8 million may be employed, that can save up to 480.000 people not commuting every day. If 60% take their car, that would theoretically make a difference of over 550.000 commuting trips by car.

Low unemployment = more traffic jams.
Old March 21st, 2008, 03:29 PM   #700
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8779

So does over 1.08 billion passenger trips per year on public transport in the VRR tarifbund area. This alone will help take a LOT of cars off the road.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau