daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #7021
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I'm enjoying those Russian driver videos with spectacular crashes on YouTube.
In that case, I've got a rather brutal one on my Youtube channel if you're interested :P (click on your own risk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
because you hardly see any European or American ones on YouTube...
Which also has to do with the fact that outside of Russia dashcams aren't nearly as popular so therefor the chance of getting a crash caught on tape is a lot lower.
btw: there used to be a lot of American clips, but that channel got repeatedly harrassed with copyright claims so he eventually just gave up on the channel.

Some European compilations:
My own Best of Dutch Dashcam series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...9sLDHoDTyv0Xy6
Best of European Driving Captures series by a friend of mine: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...HX9n7NJ86wMYdJ

Nortern America:
Greater Vancouver Area crash compilations: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...MJiQKZyJ5F0gHF
Greater Toronte Area Crash compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh0TMO9y7HQ

edit: I thought this was the roadside rest area, not the German highway thread. Oops, sorry for the off-topic
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #7022
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The A6 tender procedure has been started, see press release. The PPP section begins at i/c Wiesloch/Rauenberg and ends at the i/c Weinsberg.
The tender procedure was stopped by the Federal Minstry of Transport a few hours after publishing (source; reason unknown).
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #7023
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

I am getting really mad at the lack of progress in the tunnel construction (South-North) in downtown Düsseldorf. It took years to build and it's been 99.99% completed for months. As a result, only 1 lane is opened when you need minimum 2 to keep a reasonable flow of cars.
They have not done ANYTHING is months in that tunnel. Fuc*** open the additional lanes already

The whole project looks like a nice waste of taxpayers money for now. Might be better once completed.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post

Last edited by Bender; September 7th, 2014 at 11:37 PM.
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #7024
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

The installation and testing of technical tunnel installations take considerable time. While a tunnel may appear finished on the outside, it can easily take six months to over a year to implement all tunneling systems. The amount of systems runs in the hundreds.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #7025
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

The tunnel in question is a few hundreds meters long only. It is open already but for some reason they have blocked everything but one lane.

There has been scaffolding on a wall close to the exit for months. Work seems complete but nothing has moved in 2 months. I don't spend my days in the tunnel but as far as I can tell, nothing has been done in weeks. It's very frustrating to sit in traffic and see the complete lack of progress, or even worse what appears to be a completely finished road that you can't use.

We are talking Düsseldorf downtown - so that concerns quite many people. You'd think they would come up with a quick solution whatever the problem might be.
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #7026
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
In that case, I've got a rather brutal one on my Youtube channel if you're interested :P (click on your own risk)
Wow, that really was sick. I stopped watching after a person got hit by a sliding truck. It looks like people die in these accidents. How can this be allowed on Youtube?
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 01:12 AM   #7027
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Wow, that really was sick. I stopped watching after a person got hit by a sliding truck. It looks like people die in these accidents. How can this be allowed on Youtube?
It's marked as 18+ and that's enough according to Youtube.
btw: I've seen liquidations on youtube (well, almost, I managed to click away on time) so this is nothing compared to that.
I 'like' how you only clicked away after the Chinese guys got hit by the truck (in which nobody died) but managed to watch the clip that had a person katapulted 20 meters up into the sky...
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #7028
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
The tender procedure was stopped by the Federal Minstry of Transport a few hours after publishing (source; reason unknown).
There was something incomplete in the tender documents. They expect to relaunch the tender late this week.

http://www.swr.de/landesschau-aktuel...140108/92pzbh/
Old September 9th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #7029
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
******* hell!

Morsue liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #7030
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There was something incomplete in the tender documents. They expect to relaunch the tender late this week.

http://www.swr.de/landesschau-aktuel...140108/92pzbh/
Wrong. The Federal Ministry of Transport has not given any reason within the deadline the tender procedure could be canceled. The Baden-Württemberg Ministry of Transport has not stopped the tender procedure, see press release.
Old September 13th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #7031
MichiH

A3 Aschaffenburg - Würzburg (2x3 widening)

Some documents:
- Overview Aschaffenburg - Würzburg (94km; 1.3 billion €; completion: late 2019)
- Detailed overview Aschaffenburg - Würzburg (pics and info of all sections)
- Details of the Kauppenbrücke-Rohrbrunn section (u/c 2013-2015; 5km additional eastbound lane)
- Details of the Wertheim section (u/c 2014/15-2017; 7km additional eastbound lane)
- Details of the Würzburg section (u/c 2012/14-2019; additional westbound lane; very detailed with many pics and info about complaints, variants,...)

Luki_SL, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old September 13th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #7032
MichiH

A66 Neuhof

A66 Neuhof-South - Neuhof-North (4.6km; OSM; u/c since October 2005; 2x2)

The opening ceremony took place today, see press release. People are still on the road, see pics in a news article. The article also says that the road should be opened for traffic around 4PM. Another news article from yesterday contains 38 pics. The section has a length of about 3.7km (the press release and the news article say 3.5km; I always thought - according to info I found years ago - it has a length of 4.6km), the section contains a 1.6km artificial tunnel. The total costs are 117.6 million €. The A66 is completed between Hanau (A45) and Fulda (A7) now. There is still an A66 gap left in the city of Frankfurt.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old September 13th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #7033
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
The opening ceremony took place today, see press release. People are still on the road, see pics in a news article. The article also says that the road should be opened for traffic around 4PM. Another news article from yesterday contains 38 pics. The section has a length of about 3.7km (the press release and the news article say 3.5km; I always thought - according to info I found years ago - it has a length of 4.6km), the section contains a 1.6km artificial tunnel. The total costs are 117.6 million €. The A66 is completed between Hanau (A45) and Fulda (A7) now. There is still an A66 gap left in the city of Frankfurt.
9 years of construction

In any case, when should we expect to see A66 linked with A661 in Frankfurt?
Old September 13th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #7034
MichiH

The project also contained a new railroad station.

Anyway, the groundbreaking ceremony of the last 2.6km A66 section east of the A661 took place on 23rd September 2009 (OSM). Only some analysis works have been done meanwhile and the construction of the AD with the A661 has been started (adding the 2nd A661 carriageway). The tunnel works should begin in 2016. Completion: 2022+.
Old September 13th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #7035
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Will B40 be removed? They built a tunnel for A66, but it appears that both the railroad and B40 are still above ground right next to it.
Old September 13th, 2014, 02:27 PM   #7036
MichiH

The B40 will not be closed but the B40 b/n Neuhof-North and Fulda has been removed.
Old September 13th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #7037
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
The B40 will not be closed but the B40 b/n Neuhof-North and Fulda has been removed.
What do you mean by removed? Demolished and cleared up, or transferred to local authorities jurisdiction as city streets?
Old September 13th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #7038
MichiH

Demolished. The road does not exist anymore.
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #7039
MichiH

A66 Neuhof

More details about the costs: > click <.

Tunnel: 118 Mio €
Motorway: 36 Mio €
Railway: 60 Mio €

The costs are high and the construction time was long because a little river had to be displaced, the B40 had to be displaced, the ground was very tricky etcetera. The 2nd link on the project page opens a presentation with many (old) pics of the construction [I cannot link it; SSC problem].

The westbound carriageway is in service since 15:37PM, the eastbound carriageway since 21:54PM.
Old September 15th, 2014, 05:22 AM   #7040
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

So last year, I put up some German signs on an American highway for fun...Next week, I'm moving to Munich to pursue my master's in transportation engineering at Technische Universität München.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you on this thread for keeping me very well informed about German Autobahns and answering my questions. It definitely helped with both my previous internship and also my application to TUM. I've been following this thread since 2007, back when Radi was obsessing over shiny crash barriers

I'll be in Germany for at least the next two years, so now maybe I can make my own contributions to this thread Couldn't have done this without your help!

And to Chriszwolle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
If anyone's interested, a U.S. highway was transported to Europe for an hour

More here

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau