daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #7061
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

B256 Rengsdorf bypass

Quote:
Late September 2014: B256 Rengsdorf bypass (4.2km; OSM; u/c since July 2006)
The B256 Rengsdorf bypass was opened yesterday, see press release. The road contains 2 viaducts (125m and 150m), 6 bridges and 1 artificial tunnel (200m). Total costs: 44 million €.

Source: Rhein-Zeitung

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #7062
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8960

In this short video we can see a new A14 stretch near Magdeburg.
Daimler used it to show its newest truck technologies before this section was opened (or maybe it´s still under construction?).

Anyway, nice Autobahn video.
What Is Love?

SRC_100 liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #7063
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

The road itself looks similar as a expressways in Poland.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #7064
MichiH

A26 Stade - Hamburg

The A26 section b/n Horneburg and Jork will be opened in late November 2014 (direction Stade only; trucks are not allowed). The road is almost completed, only some guard rail and signposting is missing.

Pics taken by IOOI (27th September).

Jork interchange:

Towards Horneburg:

Horneburg interchange:

Next sub-section b/n Jork and Buxtehude (to be opened in late 2020):

btw: It's defined by the plan apporval order of section 2 (Horneburg-Jork-Buxtehude) that an Autobahn end at Jork is not allowed to avoid stressing the residents. The Jork bypass will be opened in May 2015. The authority will monitor the traffic changes. Maybe the Hamburg direction b/n Jork and Horneburg will be opened in 2015.
Well, if it will not be opened in 2014, it's still planned officially to open section 2 (to Buxtehude) together with section 3 (to Neu Wulmstorf) until late 2020. But it's defined by the plan approval of section 3 that it must be opened with section 4 (to A7 Hamburg). The plan approval order of section 4 has not yet been passed. That means, it's possible that the entire A26 - A7 to Horneburg (Stade direction; 21.9km) and Jork to A7 (Hamburg direction; 17.3km) - will be opened at once, for instance in 2025 (OSM)....... The works b/n Hornbeburg and Jork have begun in 2006, the carriageway is already completed now.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 (10th - 26th September 2014).
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #7065
MichiH

A3 widening near Würzburg

An updated simulation of the 5.4km u/c future 7-laned section b/n interchange Würzburg-Heidingsfeld and Main bridge Randersacker:

More info: http://www.a3-wuerzburg.de.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #7066
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Today, the first time in my life, I saw a ramp meter working (A3 Leverkusen Mitte, southbound). And learned this beautiful German word: Zuflussregelungsanlage :-)

On the other side, it's crazy how congested the motorways around Cologne are, even Sunday afternoon. I'm happy I have to drive there very rarely in weekdays.

Btw., does anyone know the official definition of "Stau" and "Stockender Verkehr"?

Suburbanist, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #7067
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Stau means congestion, and stockender Verkehr means as much as large volumes of slow moving traffic...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #7068
Pepov

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Stau means congestion, and stockender Verkehr means as much as large volumes of slow moving traffic...
AFAIK <20 km/h average speed is stau, >20 km/h - <60 km/h - stockend. Am I right?
Pepov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #7069
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Thank you but I, too, know it very well. :-) However I'm sure there is an official definition of them, something like Pepov wrote - whether his definition is proper, or not, I don't know, but even so thank you, Pepov!
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #7070
Road_UK
BANNED

The thing is that in the UK they don't do traffic information like they do elsewhere. The radio reports congestions between junction x and junction x but they never report on the length of the queue. At the most they will tell you if it's slowly moving or a complete standstill...
Old September 29th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #7071
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Today, the first time in my life, I saw a ramp meter working (A3 Leverkusen Mitte, southbound). And learned this beautiful German word: Zuflussregelungsanlage :-)
There are ramp meters in Europe??? I thought it was another American invention to make up the lack of public transportation there.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #7072
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Ramp meters regulate the flow of traffic entering the motorway. It has very little do to with public transport. The Netherlands has many of them.

I always listen clearly to the traffic information in Germany. If I hear the word 'Stau', especially in context of an 'Unfall', it is a reason for me to take an alternate route. Stau usually means very slow or stopped traffic, while 'Stockender Verkehr' often means very dense or slow traffic, but the delay is often not very long (unless it's like 15 km of Stockender Verkehr).

German traffic information is light years better than in the Netherlands. Especially before the age of motorway expansion (since 2008), they often only listed traffic jams longer than 10-12 km (to avoid having to sum up 60 traffic jams) and didn't make a good distinction between just slow traffic, and traffic with significant delays. Some radio stations started using delays instead of length, but it's not as reliable.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #7073
Road_UK
BANNED

Stockender Verkehr is not necessarily on a short distance only. It can fill a very long stretch of moving and stationery traffic.
Old September 29th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #7074
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If I hear the word 'Stau', especially in context of an 'Unfall', it is a reason for me to take an alternate route.
Haha, it is not a very wise thing here in NRW. Unless it's 2AM you have actually no chance to find a way without Stau. Yesterday (Sunday afternoon!) there were 3 Stau and 3 stockender Verkehr in and around Cologne, including 12 km stockend in A3 northbound (and A59 Bonn -> Cologne, because of the congestion of A3).
You need a very deep knowledge of road network and have to bear in mind at least 3-4 congestions to choose the optimal way.

Quote:
they often only listed traffic jams longer than 10-12 km
In Germany traffic information has a limited time in radio so Staumeldungen (traffic jam informations) are always limited to a specific count. The first sentence of the informations is usually: "Congestions up from XX km length". If XX is 5-6 kms or even more, you know that traffic situation is currently chaotic, and it happens several times a week.
Old September 29th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #7075
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Haha, it is not a very wise thing here in NRW. Unless it's 2AM you have actually no chance to find a way without Stau. Yesterday (Sunday afternoon!) there were 3 Stau and 3 stockender Verkehr in and around Cologne, including 12 km stockend in A3 northbound (and A59 Bonn -> Cologne, because of the congestion of A3).
You need a very deep knowledge of road network and have to bear in mind at least 3-4 congestions to choose the optimal way.
If you're travelling long distance from let's say Holland to Frankfurt, Stuttgart or Munich there are loads of alternatives. Think of A3, A57, A4, A61 or if you have to via Luxembourg. And WDR 2 is available throughout eastern Netherlands my friend
Old September 29th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #7076
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Don't you all use Waze or a GPS navigation device with live data feeD?
Old September 29th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #7077
Road_UK
BANNED

I once thought about it, and came to the conclusion that I don't want it. Mobile internet and traffic info on radio is sufficiant enough. I've got TMC on my nav, but I usually ignore it as I find the updates far from reliable.
Old September 29th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #7078
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Don't you all use Waze or a GPS navigation device with live data feeD?
I use it in Hungary, always. I tried to use it in Germany but it is used by so few people here (because of privacy reasons) that it was an absolute fail. I commanded me to roads that did not exist, told me tu turn right where it was prohibited to turn right, and took me to giant congestions thinking that there is not any congestion there.
Old September 29th, 2014, 11:42 PM   #7079
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

I have GPS in my car and use it a lot.
But when it comes to congestions, I find myself mistrusting its suggestions to bypass them.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #7080
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Continuing the photo report from A1 Lubeck-Hamburg...

Skilldetector A new HR platform where everything is about your skills!

SRC_100, Luki_SL, Moravian, Effer liked this post
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau