daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #7101
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I see your point but in general I just don't like exonyms (referring only to geographical names); they seem a bit fake, especially in contrast with my way of intending travel as blending with the local culture. But this is a very personal vision.

Therefore you are authorized to kick me if you'll ever see me write "Filadelfia"

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #7102
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

It's only the most important places, generally speaking (and small towns in Belgium), that have exonyms, so why not take their existence as a point of pride? In French, I refer to Philadelphia as Philadelphie.

Talking of understanding other languages, and of Belgium, I've been listening to the VRT all weekend. (Not literally all weekend, but for an hour or so here and there.) http://radioplus.be/#/radio1

Pas op, Vlamingen! Il zal U, um, soon, begrijpen.

Now, I know we're off topic and I'll behave now. :-) Time for a nap anyway.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 6th, 2014 at 12:38 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #7103
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Hey, guys, I, as a native Hungarian speaker, if I speak with someone in Hungarian about Germany, I would never, never use the German names of the regions (Bundesländer) (as for cities it's simple because not any German city has a Hungarian exonym). I can't get the idea why should those names be used in German, if we speak/write in English.
Alright, I'm a very very tolerant man, so I can accept that if you don't know the English version of a name, you use it in German (Michael wouldn't be so tolerant, I suppose ;-)). But to force using the German names although writing in English is simply crazy.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #7104
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I'm tolerant of most things. Being corrected by foreigners on the use of my own language is an exception.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Attus, Road_UK, thun liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #7105
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I see your point but in general I just don't like exonyms (referring only to geographical names); they seem a bit fake, especially in contrast with my way of intending travel as blending with the local culture. But this is a very personal vision.

Therefore you are authorized to kick me if you'll ever see me write "Filadelfia"
OK, there are exonyms which are almost unknown. E.g. the Polish city of Wroclaw has a Hungarian name Boroszló (spring from the German Breslau), but the Polish name is much more known in Hungary, than the Hungarian one, so I always use the endonym, or my Hungarian readers couldn't understand me :-)
But in our current case two native English speakers, one from Europe and one from the U.S. asked us to use the English exonyms so I suppose they are known and widely accepted for native speakers, and we shall use them instead of the German endonym.
Old October 6th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #7106
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Baden-Württemberg (Baden-Würstchenberg):
Bavaria (Freistaat Bayern):
Hesse (Hessen):
Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen):
North Rhine-Westphalia (Nordrhein-Westfalen):
Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz):
Saxony-Anhalt (Sachsen-Anhalt):

Number of passed plan approval orders (works not yet started):

Brandenburg: 4
Baden-Württemberg (Baden-Würstchenberg): 27
Bavaria (Bayern): 33
Hesse (Hessen): 17
Mecklenburg-West Pomerania (MeckPomm): 2
Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen): 13
North Rhine-Westphalia (Nordrhein-Westfalen): 10
Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz): 14
Saarland: 1
Saxony (Freistaat Sachsen): 5
Saxony-Anhalt (Sachsen-Anhalt): 3
Thuringia (Freistaat Thüringen): 8

Wilhem275 liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #7107
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Baden-Württemberg (Baden-Würstchenberg):
Old October 6th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #7108
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

Pepov, verreme, čarli, thun, EPA001 liked this post
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #7109
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
The original sign was located in Königshofen. The title was "Ende der schönen Welt. Willkommen auf dem Verkehrsschlachtfeld". The people are fighting for a bypass.
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #7110
MichiH

Quote:
October 2014: A1 2x3 widening AK Münster-South (A43) - Dortmund-Ems-Canal bridge (3.2km; OSM; u/c since October 2012)
The A1 widening south of Münster (including the new "Müster-Hiltrup" interchange) is 2x3 in service since 8th October, see press release. Total costs: 44.8 million €. The official opening ceremony will be on 28th October.

Source: Westfälische Nachrichten (there is also a driving video)
Old October 13th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #7111
MichiH

A33 Osnabrück - Bielefeld

Quote:
A33: AS Halle-Künsebeck – AS Bielefeld-Center 12 7.9km (September 2009 to Summer 2017) - projectmap
A33: AS Borgholzhausen – AS Halle-Künsebeck 12 12.6km (December 2012 to 2019) - projectmap
The A33 project is still on schedule. The next-to-last section will be opened in 2018* (90 million €), the last section in 2019 (140 million €). 10 million € have been invested in 2014. About 20 million € are required for 2015-2019 annually but still not warranted. Source.

*I read in May 2014 about a delay 2017 instead of 2016...

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #7112
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I've read that article as well. 'still on schedule' is a bit misleading, it's more like 'no additional delays after several years delay'. 7-8 years of construction time for a regular motorway with no special objects (long tunnels or bridges) is very long compared to elsewhere in Europe (and Germany before the big slowdown).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 09:30 AM   #7113
Attus

I drove on A4 Kerpen - Aachen twice last week. It has a new alignment between Kerpen - Düren (strange, Google Maps displays both the old and the new one :-)) and is very nice. The right lane has concrete surface, the middle and left one has asphalt.

A1 bridge in Leverkusen is worse than before. Now it has only 2×2 narrow lanes. There are huge congestions every day there. I read in a local newspaper that the current bridge may not be refurbished, but a new one will be constructed. It means that the current situation (2×2 lanes, vehicles over 3.5t banned) will remain so for 4 years at least.
Since many trucks drive on A4 over the Rhine, that bridge, too, is congested in rush hours.

Last edited by Attus; October 14th, 2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old October 14th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #7114
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I drove on A4 Kerpen - Aachen twice last week. It has a new alignment between Kerpen - Düren (strange, Google Maps displays both the old and the new one :-)) and is very nice. The right lane has concrete surface, the middle and left one has asphalt.
That bit of A4 is realigned because of the expansion of the Coal surface mine North of the highway. In a few years it will swallow where the highway used to be. I heard that in the long run they plan to turn it into a lake, must be the largest man made lake in Germany.
Old October 14th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #7115
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5830

Actually it is not the expansion of the Tagebau but the moving of the Tagebau area. Where they dig away soil to reach the coal on the one side, they are filling up the dug out areas on the other side. A lake is a possibility but most of the dug out soil will be replaced by new soil and therefore new land.

I went on an excursion there once and that was impressive to see.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #7116
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
'still on schedule' is a bit misleading
It's the headline of the news article .
Old October 17th, 2014, 02:46 AM   #7117
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8964

A nice picture from the new Jagdberg tunnel on the A4 near Jena.

The opening is planned for the end of October or early November. They have to do some additional safety checks.

Source
What Is Love?

Suburbanist, Attus, SRC_100 liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #7118
MichiH

A33 Osnabrück - Bielefeld

Quote:
The A33 project is still on schedule. The next-to-last section will be opened in 2018* (90 million €), the last section in 2019 (140 million €). 10 million € have been invested in 2014. About 20 million € are required for 2015-2019 annually but still not warranted. Source.

*I read in May 2014 about a delay 2017 instead of 2016...
Another news article: > click <.

This article quotes the road authority. The Bielefeld-Center to Halle-Künsebeck section (7.9km) should be opened in late 2017 (DE: "könnte"). The last section will be partial opened in 2018 (Halle-Künsebeck to Halle; 4.0km) and the final section (Halle - Borgholzhausen; 8.6km) will be opened in 2019.
Old October 18th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #7119
MichiH

B33 Allensbach - Konstanz

Quote:
The works on section F2 have finally been started this month (source). The 900m section (including i/c Reichenau) costs 15 million €. The estimated completion is late 2016.
No, only a brigde of the i/c will be completed in late 2016. The 2nd carriageway will be built in 2017. Source.
Old October 18th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #7120
MichiH

Quote:
Mid September 2014: A62 2nd carriageway South of Weselberg - Schwarzbach viaduct (3.6km; OSM; u/c since September 2013)
Both A62 carriageways are in service now. The news articles are inaccurate. I guess it was opened in late September 2014. The section is dedicated as A62 but the signs are yellow (not blue). It's access-controlled but as a "Kraftfahrstraße", not as an Autobahn (different sign).

A pic taken by Alfred Donnelli on 12th October:

Deadeye Reloaded, SRC_100 liked this post

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau