daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:14 PM   #7441
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Autobahn A1: AK Leverkusen - Wuppertal

Luki_SL liked this post
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2015, 11:08 AM   #7442
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

There's a construction site at 2:20. The renovation of the Höllenbachtal viaduct and the Einsiedelsteintal viaduct is done along with the 2x3 upgrade of A1. The renovation begun in 2007 but it's a little bit delayed. Einsiedelsteintal viaduct was finally completed in late 2012 (2x3 since September 2012) but Höllenbachtal viaduct work are still ongoing. It's announced to be completed in 2017 (source).

http://www.strassen.nrw.de/projekte/...u_kn93-96.html

Quote:
Press release 18th June 2007:

Den weiteren Ausbau der A1 bei Remscheid haben heute Vertreter von Bund und Land mit dem symbolischen Spatenstich eingeläutet. Wenn bis Mitte 2010 der Ausbau zwischen AS Remscheid und AS Wermelskirchen beendet sein wird, wird die A1 vom AK Leverkusen bis zum AK Wuppertal-Nord komplett auf sechs Fahrstreifen befahrbar sein. 85 Millionen Euro investiert der Bund in diesen "Lückenschluss".

The groundbreaking ceremony of the A1 widening near Remscheid took place. The entire A1 b/n AK Leverkusen and AK Wuppertal-North will be 2x3 after completion of the upgrade b/n Remscheid and Wermelskirchen in Mid 2010. Total costs of the section: 85 million €.

SRC_100 liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #7443
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

So, once again about toll.
The main idea of the concept "toll for foreigners" is that German tax payers must not pay any single cent more than previously. The solution for that is (as most of you probably know) is that road tax will be decreased by the same amount of money. It must even be fixed that if in the future the toll will be increased, the road tax must be decreased so that German tax payers may not pay more then previously.
The main idea is this: You pay the road tax + toll and get automatically the toll sticker. However, it is always possible that someone does not use tolled roads at all. Is not easy because for German cars not only motorways are tolled but primary roads (B-roads, Bundesstraßen) as well (for foreigners only motorways are tolled), but even so they may be drivers (usually but not exclusively old ladies) who only drive from home to the nearest shop and to the physician and to some friends and relatives that live in the same town, so they don't use tolled roads. They can theoretically claim road toll be paid back. However, in this case, the car owner must proof that s/he did not use any tolled road which is not quite easy.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #7444
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
However, in this case, the car owner must proof that s/he did not use any tolled road which is not quite easy.
Guilty until proven innocent.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #7445
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Yes :-)

Note that if too many car owners could claim their toll to be paid back, the whole story could make a loss for the German state. If only foreigners must pay (and a vast majority of them only a small amount for a wekk or for a month) but on the other side many Germans pay significantly less then before, the toll may be a financial disaster.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #7446
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I would avoid motorways only to see that happen

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #7447
MichiH

No. Germans have to pay on Autobahn and Bundesstraße. Foreigners only have to pay on Autobahns. It's fair, isn't it?
Old January 4th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #7448
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

The whole tolling scheme is a major inconvenience, every foreigner pays road tax in their own country, which Germans can use for free ( well in the case of the NL anyhow).

Now some people have to pay extra for every country they visit if more countries adopt some stupid toll plan ?

I already found it odd I had to buy a green sticker to enter Berlin, could that 5 euros not be inned through road tax in the first place ? Easy to check you say for emissions? What is to stop people putting ''fake'' green stickers on their old cars ? Chance to get caught is next to zero...

Why isn't there a normal EU wide system where you pay road tax, and no further crappy tolls have to be paid, in whatever country you drive ?
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #7449
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Ultimately, all EU countries have cars coming from abroad, and its own cars being driven abroad. This is one of those instances where EU should step in solve the mess, like it did a decade ago regarding short-term health care for EU citizens present in other EU country (with introduction of the EHIC).

As cars are interchangeable on regular roads, it is a very reasonable expectation that cross-border traffic is bi-directional (or multi-directional), so each member state should cover its own expenses.

I know this still doesn't solve the issue of countries that use tolls and countries that have higher gas/car taxes, but things should even out at the end of the day.

----------------

I think any restrction based on pollution should be tied to the Euro standards for emissions. It is something already in place, and it should be the criteria allowed for regulation, instead of these multiple specifications in "low-emission zones". They could create a special Euro category for electrical cars as well.
Old January 4th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #7450
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The concept that foreign cars are using the roads without paying is hugely exaggerated in popular perception. In most countries, foreign passenger cars make up only 2 to 5% of all vehicle kilometers annually.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #7451
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8964

Animation of the replacement of the old Lennetalbrücke on the A45 in Hagen.

The bridge is around 1000 m long. Fascinating stuff.
What Is Love?

MichiH, Wilhem275, Attus, Festin, bogdymol liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:15 PM   #7452
Festin
Changeable constant

Likes (Received): 1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
The whole tolling scheme is a major inconvenience, every foreigner pays road tax in their own country, which Germans can use for free ( well in the case of the NL anyhow).

Now some people have to pay extra for every country they visit if more countries adopt some stupid toll plan ?

I already found it odd I had to buy a green sticker to enter Berlin, could that 5 euros not be inned through road tax in the first place ? Easy to check you say for emissions? What is to stop people putting ''fake'' green stickers on their old cars ? Chance to get caught is next to zero...

Why isn't there a normal EU wide system where you pay road tax, and no further crappy tolls have to be paid, in whatever country you drive ?
Is that green sticker for Berlin center or the hole Berlin? Been there a couple of times but never heard about a green sticker :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post
Animation of the replacement of the old Lennetalbrücke on the A45 in Hagen.

The bridge is around 1000 m long. Fascinating stuff.
Very nice video, and a lovely knowledge. Do you know how long time this will take?
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:26 PM   #7453
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

He means the Umwelt Plakette

Costs 5 euros to enter every major German city provided your engine is clean enough.

Festin liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 03:55 PM   #7454
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festin View Post
Very nice video, and a lovely knowledge. Do you know how long time this will take?

About 5 years. Construction start was in September 2013.

Here is the project page (in German).
What Is Love?

Festin liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #7455
MichiH

Quote:
Is that green sticker for Berlin center or the hole Berlin? Been there a couple of times but never heard about a green sticker :/
The Berlin low emission zone was introduced on 1st January 2008. Map: http://gis.uba.de/website/umweltzonen/pdf/Berlin.pdf. It's only required for the "hole" within the imaginary Inner Autobahn ring.

More information: http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/cou...ny-mainmenu-61.

Map of all zone: http://gis.uba.de/website/umweltzonen/index_engl.html.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Costs 5 euros to enter every major German city provided your engine is clean enough.
Well.... Not for the 2nd biggest city, Hamburg, no. 11 Dresden, no. 14 Nürnberg, no. 18 Bielefeld,... But e.g. for Ilsfeld (8,000 inhabitants) and Pleidelsheim (6,200 inhabitants). There's a sign where the zone begins.

Festin liked this post
Old January 7th, 2015, 07:20 PM   #7456
Festin
Changeable constant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The Berlin low emission zone was introduced on 1st January 2008. Map: http://gis.uba.de/website/umweltzonen/pdf/Berlin.pdf. It's only required for the "hole" within the imaginary Inner Autobahn ring.

More information: http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/cou...ny-mainmenu-61.

Map of all zone: http://gis.uba.de/website/umweltzonen/index_engl.html.

Well.... Not for the 2nd biggest city, Hamburg, no. 11 Dresden, no. 14 Nürnberg, no. 18 Bielefeld,... But e.g. for Ilsfeld (8,000 inhabitants) and Pleidelsheim (6,200 inhabitants). There's a sign where the zone begins.
Ah nice to know, tx guys.
Guess I never stepped inside the "zone" or was lucky.

I guess it's a matter of taste but I hope there will be an option to register the vechile online/electronicly like in Hungary instead of an vignette/sticker like in Austria or the cities in Germany.
Old January 7th, 2015, 07:53 PM   #7457
MichiH

Yep, purchasing the future car vignette online should be possible. It's announced...
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #7458
Festin
Changeable constant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Yep, purchasing the future car vignette online should be possible. It's announced...
You mean purchasing online and getting the vignette by mail, or that you dont need vignette and just register car plate?
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #7459
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The concept that foreign cars are using the roads without paying is hugely exaggerated in popular perception. In most countries, foreign passenger cars make up only 2 to 5% of all vehicle kilometers annually.
I fully agree. And more, Germany is a large country, ekonomically strong, AUTOLAND nation. The ratio of the foreign care using the infrastructure network might be different at smaller countries. Belgium, LUX, CZ, Slovenia.....However the clear majority is always about domestic cars...

Wilhem275 liked this post
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #7460
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Ah nice to know, tx guys.
Guess I never stepped inside the "zone" or was lucky.

I guess it's a matter of taste but I hope there will be an option to register the vechile online/electronicly like in Hungary instead of an vignette/sticker like in Austria or the cities in Germany.
I was in Berlin for a few days driving everywhere in 2013, nobody bothered me about the no sticker on PL-plated car

But the concept of having low-emission zone and especially sticker requirement for vehicles from outside is really crazy. Even vignette can sort of be justified, but not something like that...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau