daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2015, 06:05 PM   #7541
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I've driven twice the CZ road 3 from Prague to the Austrian border. Even if part of it is 2+1, it's a congestion madness! Queues of 10-20 km are the norm. And there are even at-grade railway crossing and not even a bypass for Ceske Budejovice (100k people). I don't think there is anything like that in Germany.
Well, at-grade railway crossing on busy main roads have been removed but there are a lot of 1+1 roads with congestion madness on transit routes.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #7542
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
I've driven twice the CZ road 3 from Prague to the Austrian border. Even if part of it is 2+1, it's a congestion madness! Queues of 10-20 km are the norm. And there are even at-grade railway crossing and not even a bypass for Ceske Budejovice (100k people). I don't think there is anything like that in Germany.
The Czech Republic shares the baseline with DDR where situation was similar 20 years ago. The road infrastructure of the DDR was upgraded (=rebuilt) amazingly quickly on the West German money, but the Czech Republic is on their own. Thus, it takes time to close the gap.

It is good to know that the new motorway network in Poland has been paid mainly by the taxpayers of the wealthier EU countries. Poland is receiving every year more than 10 billion (10000 million) euros of EU money more than they pay. The net contribution of CZ is only a small fraction of this: about -1.5 billion euros. Therefore, the possibilities to take major actions to rebuild roads are much more limited at the CZ side.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 11:07 AM   #7543
MichiH

Historical Autobahn plans

Map of 1940 (thick line: existing Autobahn, thin line: planned Autobahn):

Map of 1966 (sorry, it's almost impossible to distinguish existing and planned Autobahns):

Note: Former eastern territories of Germany are still marked as "currently under external administration" (small map on the right). First, West Germany recognised the line as a de facto German-Polish boundary by the Treaty of Warsaw in 1970.

Very large maps of 1972. (too large to insert to the post)

Very large maps of 1976. (too large to insert to the post)

Map of 1983:

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Wilhem275, Corvinus liked this post
Old February 7th, 2015, 11:32 AM   #7544
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Why is in the map of 1940 Germany displayed with the borders of 1938? In '40 the whole Austria and large parts of Poland beloged to the German Empire as far as I know. Czechoslovakia (Tschechoslowakei) did not exist at all. It's hard to beleive that someone made such a map in 1940.
Even if there were (except for a very short section at Salzburg) not any German motorways in the territories that were gained between 1938-40.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 11:39 AM   #7545
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Why is in the map of 1940 Germany displayed with the borders of 1938?
There's a note on the map: "Grenze Deutschlands vom Jahre 1937" (German border in 1937).

Old February 7th, 2015, 01:29 PM   #7546
MichiH

A20

The section numbering starts at A1 near Lübeck. Section 8 is Elbtunnel. The numbering west of the tunnel begins with 7 and ends with 1 at A28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Status of A20 extension in Schleswig-Holstein:
May 2009/November 2014:
Section 1: completion: June 2009 / opened on 28th July 2009
Section 2: completion: 2010 / opened on 21st December 2009
Section 3: plan approval order: 2010, groundbreaking: 2010 / plan approval order: 2016, groundbreaking depends on legal force
Section 4: plan approval order: 2010, groundbreaking: 2011 depending on funding / plan approval order: 2016, groundbreaking depends on legal force and funding
Section 5: plan approval order: 2010, groundbreaking: 2011 depending on funding / plan approval order: 2016, groundbreaking >= 2017
Section 6: plan approval order: 2010, groundbreaking: 2011 depending on funding / plan approval order: 2016, groundbreaking >= 2017
Section 7: plan approval order: 2010, groundbreaking: 2011 depending on funding / plan approval order: 2015, groundbreaking >= 2017
Section 8: plan approval order: 2011, groundbreaking: 2011 depending on funding / plan approval order: December 2014, groundbreaking >= 2017
Announcements of expected building laws (plan approval orders) in Lower Saxony (German: Niedersachsen):

Section 7: plan approval order: 2020
Section 6: plan approval order: 2017
Section 5: plan approval order: 2021
Section 4: plan approval order: 2021
Section 3: plan approval order: 2018
Section 2: plan approval order: 2018
Section 1: plan approval order: 2017

The only ongoing plan approval procedure in Lower Saxony is section 6 (Bremervörde bypass). It began in September 2012 and was announced to be completed by late 2014. It's delayed by about 2-3 years now.
The plan approval order of section 7 in Schleswig-Holstein (Elbtunnel - A23) is announced to be completed by late 2015.

Source: SHZ

The news article is about the Elbtunnel contract. It's difficult to find an investor b/c the planning of the access roads is not yet finished.

The Federal Minister of Transport calculates with costs of 3.6 billion € for 200km. Elbtunnel: 1.3 billion € (but Bundesrechnungshof - Federal Audit Office - said 1.5 billion €); 700 million € for 80km in Schleswig-Holstein, 1.6 billion € for 120km in Lower Saxony (300 million € more than last prediction).

Deadeye Reloaded, Suburbanist liked this post
Old February 7th, 2015, 01:35 PM   #7547
MichiH

A66 Alleentunnel Frankfurt

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Only the construction of the Riederwald Tunnel is an active project. It will connect A661 with A66 east of Frankfurt. A tunnel from the western part of A66 to A661 seems futuristic at this time.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riederwaldtunnel
The A66 Alleentunnel west of the A661 (OSM) had no priority in the last decades. It should be finally cancelled with the next BVWP 2015.
The plan approval order was passed in 1980. It has been canceled now, see press release. It will never be built.

Old February 7th, 2015, 02:50 PM   #7548
Pepov

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
The plan approval order was passed in 1980. It has been canceled now, see press release. It will never be built.
Since there are A3 and A661 alternative routes its good decision. Much more needed is conection b/n A66 and A661 on the east side. Hope it will be bulid before 2025...
Pepov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #7549
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The Czech Republic shares the baseline with DDR where situation was similar 20 years ago. The road infrastructure of the DDR was upgraded (=rebuilt) amazingly quickly on the West German money, but the Czech Republic is on their own. Thus, it takes time to close the gap.

It is good to know that the new motorway network in Poland has been paid mainly by the taxpayers of the wealthier EU countries. Poland is receiving every year more than 10 billion (10000 million) euros of EU money more than they pay. The net contribution of CZ is only a small fraction of this: about -1.5 billion euros. Therefore, the possibilities to take major actions to rebuild roads are much more limited at the CZ side.
This is true but the situation in the Czech Rep. it's not that similar to GDR many years ago, the budget for construction and modernisation of motorway system is quite high and it's not fully used practically every year mostly because of lack of the land acquisitions and, especially in this central Bohemian section of D3 motorway, complete eco-madness... So at the moment we can be quite happy that the main road I/3 will be somehow upgraded at least, still better than nothing... Or you can use R4 'highway' which is quite comfortable and there are no traffic jams at all
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #7550
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
In Italy the speed limit for trucks is 80 on motorways and 70 on other roads (including expressways). 80 on 1+1 roads seems pretty high indeed, especially if they have at-grade junctions and are used also by non-motorized traffic.

You should consider that CZ has less motorway density than Germany, with some busy routes still served by at-grade 1+1 roads. This increase dramatically the accident rate.
I always prefer the R4 'highway', no traffic jams and quite comfortable ride, compared to I/3 between D1 and current start of D3 it's a heaven
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #7551
Attus

Some pictures of the Hochmoselbrücke, bridge of expressway B50 over the Mosel/Moselle river.

Hochmoselbrücke by Attus74, on Flickr

They were shot back in October, I simply forgot to publish them.
More pictures HERE.
Old February 9th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #7552
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Nice, I was there in August 2013. Not really that much has advanced. It was planned to be completed next year, but it has been delayed. They didn't do much on the west side yet.

Opponents said it would ruin the regional landscape, but the valley is so winding you don't see it once you drive around the next bend. I hope they will use some aesthetics, the new Nuttlar Bridge (A46) looks quite good.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #7553
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8959

Master plan A45 - Widening to 2x3 between Dortmund and Gießen (in German)

This will be one of the largest construction sites in Germany for the next 15 years.

Length of the stretch: 98 km
Number of large bridges to be replaced: more than 50 (in NRW and in Hesse)

Map of all bridges on this A45 stretch which wil be replaced.

Bridges like this one: The Rahmede bridge (replacement should start in 2018)
What Is Love?

SRC_100 liked this post

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; February 10th, 2015 at 05:04 PM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #7554
Attus

Nice. It is probably the most scenic road of Germany (I mean infrastructure itself, not the landscape around it).
And the reconstruction of "Königin der Autobahnen" (Queen of Motorways) is quite urgent, primarily not because of capacitiy issues (although some sections are pretty overloaded) but because many bridges of that motorway have a bad state of repair, structural issues, and must be replaced or refurbished.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #7555
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A45 has quite a high share of trucks, that makes the Autobahn busy even with somewhat lower than 'overloading' traffic volumes. There are calls to widen A45 to six lanes from Dortmund to Gießen. I believe most or all bridges will be replaced by new bridges with space for six lanes and shoulders.

A fairly large number of bridges already features 3 lanes in at least one direction, though some have been narrowed again due to the poor condition.
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #7556
MichiH

Quote:
A45 has quite a high share of trucks, that makes the Autobahn busy even with somewhat lower than 'overloading' traffic volumes. There are calls to widen A45 to six lanes from Dortmund to Gießen. I believe most or all bridges will be replaced by new bridges with space for six lanes and shoulders.
Correct.

Quote:
A fairly large number of bridges already features 3 lanes in at least one direction, though some have been narrowed again due to the poor condition.
Correct. A45 is 2x2 but there are a lot of additional lanes at ascending slopes. AADT 2010 b/n AK Westhofen (A1) and AK Gambach (A5): 41,000 to 83,000 vehicles/day, thereof 9,000 to 13,000 trucks. Most sections have an AADT b/n 50,000 and 60,000 vehicles/day.

Old February 11th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #7557
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The A643 (Mainz - Wiesbaden) has been closed due to a problem with the bridge across the Rhine. A girder of the 'Vorlandbrücke' that connects the main bridge with the bridgehead, has snapped or fell according to HR-Online, causing the bridge deck to dip by 4 centimeters. The Autobahn has been closed in both direction since last night.

The Schierstein Bridge was built in 1962. It is currently being replaced due to its poor condition and high traffic volume, but it won't be completed until 2019. It is unclear how long the closure may last, it could be weeks or more. It led to a traffic chaos in Mainz and Wiesbaden.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/rhein-mai...-13422370.html

http://www.hr-online.de/website/rubr...ument_54434241
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #7558
jachcemjest

Likes (Received): 1

A93 on-ramps central lines

Hello,
I've noticed that on A93 around Regensburg on some exits there is solid white line between lanes - dashed lin allowing to change lane only from left to right lane (for example on-ramp from Raststatte Pentling towards Regensburg). Why this is done in this way? Why can't I let people merge or have to break very hard to let people merge onto motorway?
jachcemjest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #7559
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

perhaps to prevent people coming from the rest area from going straight to the left lane
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #7560
MichiH

Quote:
The Schierstein Bridge was built in 1962. It is currently being replaced due to its poor condition and high traffic volume, but it won't be completed until 2019.
Correct but the "Vorlandbrücke" of the Rhine bridge (Schiersteiner Brücke) will not be replaced by 2019.

The Rhine bridge is u/c. AADT ~ 80,000 vehicles/day. It will feature 2x3 lanes after completion. The "Vorlandbrücke" south of the bridge was damaged by construction works at the Rhine bridge.

There are protests against 2x3 widening south of the bridge. Citizens' groups and nature conservation organisations claim 2x2 lanes with temporary shoulder running. The plan approval procedure has even yet been started.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau