daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2015, 11:23 AM   #7601
Mackem

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Germany is no a poor country (on the contrary), nor is it on a financial crisis. I don't understand why so many pieces of infrastructure just end up suffering these types of damage without preventive action. Highways buckling under heat, load bearing snapping away, stayed cables that need urgent replacement - and also rail tracks with speed restrictions due deferred subbase replacement.

Why not raise taxes just a bit to keep highways (and railway tracks for that matter) in good condition? The economic losses of major bridge closures are huge if you compute productivity lost on traffic jams.
Back to roads.... there are several reasons here really, reconstruction of the East which cost hundreds of billions has taken funds from western states, Germans have an aversion to debt so don't want to run up vast deficits to solve the problem. They have however got a new and costly policy regards lowering the retirement age, this has been criticised by some economists, but is part of the coalition agreement with the SPD.
Mackem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #7602
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A45 has quite a high share of trucks, that makes the Autobahn busy even with somewhat lower than 'overloading' traffic volumes. There are calls to widen A45 to six lanes from Dortmund to Gießen. I believe most or all bridges will be replaced by new bridges with space for six lanes and shoulders.

A fairly large number of bridges already features 3 lanes in at least one direction, though some have been narrowed again due to the poor condition.
It's definitely an 'all'. All planning for A45 is done in anticipation of a widening to six lanes of complete route between Dortmund and Gambacher Kreuz (where it intersects with A5 Kassel - Frankfurt), which was agreed some years ago by Hesse, NRW and the federal government. 2 sections in Hesse are already in planning for 6lane widening.
Virtually A45 already has 5 lanes on most of it's length, a few kms already are at 6 lanes but congestion (not only trucks, most traffic jams I experienced there were not caused by truck traffic) is just too high for the sections where at least one direction only features 2 lanes.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:21 PM   #7603
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
It's definitely an 'all'. All planning for A45 is done in anticipation of a widening to six lanes of complete route between Dortmund and Gambacher Kreuz
Yes and no. Some bridges will just be renovated first (Sanierung). All bridges which will be rebuilt (Neubau) are planned to feature 2x3 lanes plus hard shoulders (3rd lane could remain closed until neighboring section features 2x3 lanes too).

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #7604
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

But the few renovations are just temporary. In the end all bridges will have been rebuilt, featuring six lanes plus hard shoulder. There's not the slightest doubt that the whole A45 Dortmund - Gambach will be widened to six lanes in the mid term. Only a question of when (regarding funds), not if.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #7605
MichiH

Correct. I wrote "first" . I guess the entire 2x3 widening will take very long (2030+).

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old February 14th, 2015, 01:04 PM   #7606
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

On the other hand, there are often only a few kilometers between to-be-replaced-bridges. They might as well widen those stretches to six lanes while they're working on the new bridge. The major cost will be at the bridges anyway.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 01:18 PM   #7607
MichiH

In Hesse, 2x3 upgrades w/o bridges are only planned b/n Marbachtal and Lützelbach viaduct and b/n AK Gießen-Süd and AK Gambach. See project page. Marbachtal and Lützbach viaduct are already u/c (to be completed by Late 2018 or Early 2017), the 2x3 widening is in early design phase.

Old February 14th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #7608
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
No, you shouldn't. This thread is dedicated to roads in Germany. It certainly doesn't need yet another off-topic post.
I didn't mean I will post in this thread, there's also the RRA.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #7609
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post
Back to roads.... there are several reasons here really, reconstruction of the East which cost hundreds of billions has taken funds from western states, Germans have an aversion to debt so don't want to run up vast deficits to solve the problem. They have however got a new and costly policy regards lowering the retirement age, this has been criticised by some economists, but is part of the coalition agreement with the SPD.
Before the reunification, West Germany financed the construction of Transitautobahnnen between West Germany and West Berlin, across the DDR. This, together with the existence of some pre-WWII motorways, made the DDR having a better highway network than other commie countries (including the non-alligned Yugoslavia).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #7610
MichiH

B33 widening in the Kinzig valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Quote:
B33: AS Offenburg-Elgersweier (B3) – AS Gengenbach-North 2 5.2km (2012 to 2016) – ? – map
Some bridges are completed but there are no ongoing works because the Federal Ministry must approve the rised costs. The last calculation expected 9.6 million € in 2005. The new calculation expects more than 20 million € because of generally rised construction costs. The works are announced to be completed in late 2016. Source.
There's a little delay of one or two years (source). The B33 widening is announced to be completed by (2017 or) 2018. Preliminary works began in 2010 but the negotiations with the owners of the land are not yet finished. There are hundreds of very little parcels of land. The total construction costs are minimum 21.9 million €. The higher costs are caused by:
- Higher general building costs (+33% since 2005)
- Modified EU regulations for bridges and
- it was not planned that the construction is done while traffic is driving on the existing B33 ("Damals nicht einkalkuliert worden sei, dass die Bauarbeiten bei laufendem Verkehr stattfinden, was die Bauzeit erheblich verlängert und damit verteuert.")

There's no realignment. It's an upgrade of the existing road. I don't get why the hell they could forget that about 18,000 vehicles/day drive on the existing road.......

2+1 widening of Gengenbach-North - Gengenbach-South section will begin in 2017 at the earliest. 2+1 widening of Steinach - Haslach secion will begin in 2018 at the earliest. There's no prediction about Haslach bypass. The 2+1 tunnel variant would cost 140 million €.

Old February 16th, 2015, 09:19 PM   #7611
MichiH

A26 Stade - Hamburg

A26: AS Horneburg – AS Jork 4.6km (Summer 2006 to 28th November 2014) [direction Stade]projectmap
A26: AS Horneburg – AS Jork 4.6km (Summer 2006 to Summer 2015) [direction Hamburg]projectmap

The Jork bypass is delayed (completion November 2015 instead of July 2015) and the 3rd traffic counting is done afterwards. Thus A26 towards Hamburg could be opened in spring or summer 2016 at the earliest. Source.

Old February 17th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #7612
ChasingCars

Likes (Received): 167

Route to Austria

Good morning,

I am looking for an advice regarding the route to Austria. I will be leaving for Königsleiten in Austria next sunday and I have been looking for the best direction.
Originating in Utrecht, the standard route is to take A3 and A9. But I saw there are a number of Baustellen on this route.

The logical alternative would be A61-A5-A8 but on this route there are numerous Baustellen as well.

What would you guys advice?
Thanks in advance!
ChasingCars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #7613
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Use A3/A9 anyway. A61 route is a death trap especially around Stuttgart., and the A3 route has been done up nicely over the last few years. These few road works are not worth mentioning. Sunday is a good day to travel, but travel as much in the night as you can as it can still get busy. Saturday is a no-go area on all motorways heading in this direction or direction Holland. Hope you have a great week in our little beautiful part of the world...

Route to take:

A12 (NL), A3 (Oberhausen, Köln, Frankfurt, Würzburg, Nürnberg), A9 (München), A8, A99 towards Salzburg, Innsbruck, A93 towards Innsbruck, A12 (AT) exit Zillertal. At Zell am Ziller turn off towards Gerlospass and follow the road past Gerlos and you are there.

If you find yourself stuck in traffic after Munich you can come off at Holzkirchen and follow the road towards Tegernsee/Achensee. Keep going in a straight line after Tegernsee and you'll end up in the Zillertal - usually no congestion on that route.

ChasingCars liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #7614
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

[QUOTE=Road_UK;121707042]Use A3/A9 anyway. A61 route is a death trap especially around Stuttgart.

Why A61 is a death trap?
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:17 PM   #7615
Road_UK
BANNED

Not the A61 itself, that's fine. But the route from Holland to Austria via Stuttgart is sketchy at best with all the roadworks and congestion along the way.
Old February 18th, 2015, 10:18 PM   #7616
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Correct. I wrote "first" . I guess the entire 2x3 widening will take very long (2030+).
Well, this A45 widening up to 2x3 lanes seems to be one of the most underrated projects. It´s not mainly due to reunification costs, why it takes time. It was on hold because people believed that the A4-gap will be closed. Now we have to assume that closing this gap is not foreseeable anymore. Therefore A45 carries a lot of north-south and east-west through-traffic. It really has to be widened as fast as possible.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 11:04 PM   #7617
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Are there any plans to modernize L98 near Offenburg between A5 and the French border?
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #7618
MichiH

Parking

An elder woman tried to park in Bad Säckingen (19th February):
source: Südkurier (Just little demage at the underbody b/c she could stop the car in front of the wall)

An elder man tried to park in Bad Säckingen (4th February):
source: Südkurier

Road_UK, cinxxx, SRC_100 liked this post
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #7619
Road_UK
BANNED

1st picture looks like good parking. Nice and secure. Nobody's going to steal that there...
Old February 21st, 2015, 03:06 AM   #7620
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau